Kat's OMAD journey

Options

Replies

• mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    Options
    OMG creamed spinach is one of my faves! Looks delish!
  • brittdee88
    brittdee88 Posts: 1,874 Member
    Options
    I don't think I have ever had creamed spinach before. I have had (I guess) a form of creamed corn before (Mexican street corn in a cup). That sounds really interesting! It makes sense, though -- I love spinach in my alfredo sauce! I may have to make some of that one day!
  • katjustkat
    katjustkat Posts: 754 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Yes ...it was good...I like gooood >:) Britt yes, if you're eating dairy products it is super delish. Here is the recipe I follow loosely. http://www.food.com/recipe/creamed-spinach-like-boston-market-105281
    I didn't have cream so I used whole milk. I got the huge bag of spinach from Costco. You could also just try a side of it at Boston Market...it's pretty good there.
    Today I went out with my daughter and had the same pizzeria Locale pizza I had the other day. So no pic today. Hope everyone had a good day and will have an even better weekend B)
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I hope you have a nice weekend too :)
  • brittdee88
    brittdee88 Posts: 1,874 Member
    Options
    @katjustkat no dairy for me (I had the street corn years ago), but I could easily veganize that recipe! Thanks for sharing!
  • katjustkat
    Options
    Hmmm...I thought I posted my dinner but I must have hit 'preview' instead. Tonight I had a ton of tomatoes on the the counter so I made a tomato, mozzarella, avocado salad & dressed with balsamic glaze for the family. Just got a rotisserie chicken and enjoyed a chunka bread with butter. Hope everyone is still enjoying their weekends.
    au6595ar4qsl.jpg
    dgx67jyq7e19.jpg
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    yum!!!!
  • katjustkat
    Options
    Tonight was an easy dinner. Made bbq pork and a caesar salad. Hubby is going to Moab to camp and ride his bike for 6 days. Thinking of doing a water fast while he's gone :# I'll still have my son to cook for...I'm lil afraid of the psychological repercussions afterwards. Like...I'm afraid that I'll feel like I need to do that more in the future and blame not losing weight on not going the second mile. That type of thing has always back fired on me...like...going to weight watchers and not drinking my coffee before the weigh in makes me feel like I have to do that every week after that, I know it's dumb but it puts this chink in my brain. We'll see...I'm mercy sitting tomorrow so the bulk of the day will be busy so that's always good for me in not thinking about food. How do you all get yourself in the right mindset to water fast? I'm thinking 5 days...or not :sl92soych5ndl.jpg
  • blambo61
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Moab is a fun place to ride. I've done that once. It may be real hot there still.

Some people have had great success doing the extended fasts and I've seen others disappear. Don't think it is a requirement. If you try and it doesn't go well, just go back to OMAD and stick with that.
  • jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to set little goals and reassess as you go. For example just target a one day fast, it's easier to wrap your mind around. Then see how you feel on day two, and three, etc. Don't feel you have to push yourself too far. If you are feeling it then fine go for it, if not stop. In any event no matter how far you go don't take it as a failure. At worst it's a learning experience. Another suggestion, when it comes around to be the time of day when you would normally be eating, go for a walk.
  • katjustkat
    Options
    Thank you for your suggestions Bob & Jim. My son woke up with a migraine with aura and I had to leave him because I promised to babysit for a young teacher couple. I think I'm not ready for a multi day fast, or even a 24 hour one as I'm definitely feeling stressed about not being home with him. I think I'll continue and enjoy OMAD during the time my husband is gone. That way I can have dinners with my son instead of trying to work around making him dinner. It'll be a good one on one bonding time with him. I've done fasts before when my husband has been out of town but I've always been alone. I think it's better to not push any extra obligations on my eating for an extended time. I've always felt OMAD was enough for me. I gotta remember I'm in the beginning of this. October 1 I'll start logging my daily weight so that I know where I'm at. Thank you!
  • jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Good idea. I live alone and I think that is an advantage for doing a water fast. Frankly I'm not sure I could do it with the added stress of having people around.
  • katjustkat
    Options
    Jim you're right, it's too hard for me to fast with someone else in the house too. It's hard enough fighting my own 'food pop up' moments that flash in my brain.
    I did pretty good on my OMAD on Monday but I did raid, during my 1 hour, the snack drawer I have for my sons lunch. Then on Tuesday I fell off the OMAD train... Wednesday and Thursday too :( I gave in to pure stress. My daughter also came up with a wedding plan (super small just family) that will take effect Oct 7th and I have been running around town testing restaurants with her. Tomorrow is another lunch and dinner out. I'm going to have to be extremely careful as I already feel bloated and tired. I have no idea how some people can have splurge days. Eating outside of OMAD completely threw me off. I think I can't fight the food challenges that are coming at me...but I just hope I can turn it around and get back on the OMAD train. I KNOW it's stress as I can feel the hunger arrive as soon as the stress presents itself.
    I'll try my best and I will be checking back in.
    Continued success to everyone.
  • mistymeadows2005
    Options
    You'll get back on board babe! A few days back on omad and you'll be right as rain!
  • blambo61
    Options
    katjustkat wrote: »
    Jim you're right, it's too hard for me to fast with someone else in the house too. It's hard enough fighting my own 'food pop up' moments that flash in my brain.
    I did pretty good on my OMAD on Monday but I did raid, during my 1 hour, the snack drawer I have for my sons lunch. Then on Tuesday I fell off the OMAD train... Wednesday and Thursday too :( I gave in to pure stress. My daughter also came up with a wedding plan (super small just family) that will take effect Oct 7th and I have been running around town testing restaurants with her. Tomorrow is another lunch and dinner out. I'm going to have to be extremely careful as I already feel bloated and tired. I have no idea how some people can have splurge days. Eating outside of OMAD completely threw me off. I think I can't fight the food challenges that are coming at me...but I just hope I can turn it around and get back on the OMAD train. I KNOW it's stress as I can feel the hunger arrive as soon as the stress presents itself.

I lost weight the first 5 months on OMAD and then I maintained for about 19 months after that without losing much. I just didn't want to do it. I re-committed myself 3-weeks ago to just not eat tell after 5:00 pm and then anything goes after that (I don't follow a strict one plate rule). It has been a little bit of a struggle but actually much less than when it was ok to occasionally give in or when I had splurge days (I'm not doing any splurge days which I've done most of this diet). I find that it is actually helping me at work because it forces me to really get into the work to ignore being hungry. Before when it was ok to cheat, I would dwell on the food and it hurt my work productivity. Very strange but that is how it is working with me. Making this decision has really helped me. I'm not sure how this might translate to others cause it took me this long to make that kind of decision but if you can do that, then it's just one day at a time and when 5:00 pm comes (or whatever you eating window is) it is all good! Keep at it and you will get there!
  • katjustkat
    Options
    You'll get back on board babe! A few days back on omad and you'll be right as rain!

Yes...I think I can do it. I think I haven't been drinking nearly enough and that is what's making me all of a sudden hungry. Starting with the babysitting day, I only had a half a cup of black coffee...that was the only liquid all day :o Then the next day I had huge stress at my job and the second the stress came on I felt the hunger pains.
    blambo61 wrote: »
    katjustkat wrote: »

I lost weight the first 5 months on OMAD and then I maintained for about 19 months after that without losing much. I just didn't want to do it. I re-committed myself 3-weeks ago to just not eat tell after 5:00 pm and then anything goes after that (I don't follow a strict one plate rule). It has been a little bit of a struggle but actually much less than when it was ok to occasionally give in or when I had splurge days (I'm not doing any splurge days which I've done most of this diet). I find that it is actually helping me at work because it forces me to really get into the work to ignore being hungry. Before when it was ok to cheat, I would dwell on the food and it hurt my work productivity. Very strange but that is how it is working with me. Making this decision has really helped me. I'm not sure how this might translate to others cause it took me this long to make that kind of decision but if you can do that, then it's just one day at a time and when 5:00 pm comes (or whatever you eating window is) it is all good! Keep at it and you will get there!
    Thank you Bob..." I just didn't want to do it": I get like that too, even though I don't have any reasons to not want to do it. Yes...I think the joy, reward and urgency slowly work they way further back in your brain and we tend to place less and less importance in anything we start with a passion. Then if we fail it just becomes overwhelming to re-initiate.
    I normally do great on OMAD and I always eat at five. But...somehow I can't make a single mistake or I give it all up...totally weird. That's why I never have a cheat day...I know I can't. I definitely feel more focused when I stick to OMAD. And...I truly feel great on it. If I eat outside my window I just want more and my brain seeks out whatever is in the house.
    Saturday I will get back on OMAD. I think I'll start weighing in every day and I hope that won't throw me off...as I am an imperfect perfectionist and I somehow don't accept regressions. grrrr thank you for your helping hands guys!

• blambo61
    Options
    Remember something is better than nothing and if you have a bad day, just get back at it! The only way we won't win is if we quit. You can do it!
  • sammygold2015
    sammygold2015 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a splurge/cheat day until I was past the 6 week mark. I feel like that set the foundation for me. I am a snacker by nature, and now I don't mind to having something to chew on. I will get hungry once or twice a day now, but the grumblings don't last more than ten minutes. And a nice big glass of ice water helps me through that.

It is fascinating what the body can get used to if you let it.
  • mistymeadows2005
    Options
    I didn't have a splurge/cheat day until I was past the 6 week mark. I feel like that set the foundation for me. I am a snacker by nature, and now I don't mind to having something to chew on. I will get hungry once or twice a day now, but the grumblings don't last more than ten minutes. And a nice big glass of ice water helps me through that.

It is fascinating what the body can get used to if you let it.

The water issue is HUGE!!!!!! I can't even say it enough! I drink like 100 oz of water a day without even trying (though I'm used to it, so I suppose it might take some conscious effort at first) and it's the only reason I can get through 72 and 96 hours fasts (I'm finishing a 96er today)...try it, I think it'll make a huge difference!
  • tlblanksfit
    tlblanksfit Posts: 1,573 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I wish I could drink water like that. I think I manage one 16.9oz bottle a day on most days and that is only if I make myself drink it with my meal. I can easily go without drinking anything if I am not eating. I will drink my bottle of water with my meal today at 1:00 and that will most likely be all the water I drink today. I have my grapefruit juice with ACV as part of my meal and that most likely will be it for drinking. I really have to do better.