What are you training for?

Options

Replies

• christygirl38
    christygirl38 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    FatMoojor wrote: »
    Got 8 weeks until my 60 miler. Holy crap, that came around quickly. I really need to get in some long runs. Haven't done anything over 12 miles
    No worries! 8 weeks, plan it out.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    OK, now it's official. In my "recovery phase" before jumping into the hard work of training for Zumbro.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i've got a 10k Sunday, but its looking unlikely as i have been ignoring a niggle for months and its now turned into something more serious and i am currently walking with a limp.

really annoyed with myself for not following my physio's guidance when i first saw her about it in May and adding in a decent strength training programme when she told me i should.

:sad: :grumble:
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    i've got a 10k Sunday, but its looking unlikely as i have been ignoring a niggle for months and its now turned into something more serious and i am currently walking with a limp.

really annoyed with myself for not following my physio's guidance when i first saw her about it in May and adding in a decent strength training programme when she told me i should.

Sorry you're injured. If you can't walk, you definitely shouldn't run. There will be other races.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    5k on the 8th! First in forever. Kinda panicked that I wouldn’t be able to run it but then realized it was only a few weeks ago that I was running 3 miles in 100 degree weather so I think illl at least make it to the finish line in the nice cool weather here! (It’s been in the 30s). Kinda excited to see what happens!
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Getting ready for the my next trail 5k on Nov. 11. Told the kids they HAVE to run in the kiddie races this time. If they like it, I'll sign them up for the rest of the season, and if not, at least they tried. Made a little running skirt as motivation for my girly-girl daugter, not sure yet what to use to motivate my son.

On the other hand though... I'm toying with the idea of doing two marathons next year-January and September, which would likely mean skipping the local one in May. Who here has experience with multiple marathons in a calendar year? Good idea or not? My first/last marathon was last May, but I've been doing lots of 5&10ks, a couple HM+ training runs each month, and am seeing improvements in my running (so I'm not currently overdoing it).
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    20-Miler on 11/12 in Clarksburg CA. Kind of an odd distance but it will be a good step up as I prepare for my first Marathon next year.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I signed up for a 50 mile trail ultra in April, the Zumbro Endurance Run in Theilman, MN. Preliminary races leading up to that include the January Securian Winter Half Marathon in St. Paul, MN, and the February Psycho Wyco 50K ultra trail race in Kansas City, Kansas.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Yesterday I signed up for a 50 mile trail ultra in April, the Zumbro Endurance Run in Theilman, MN. Preliminary races leading up to that include the January Securian Winter Half Marathon in St. Paul, MN, and the February Psycho Wyco 50K ultra trail race in Kansas City, Kansas.

you are going to ROCK Zumbro!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Sorry you're injured. If you can't walk, you definitely shouldn't run. There will be other races.

No limp today... feeling more positive for the weekend! :bigsmile:
  • spiriteagle99
    Options
    Getting ready for the my next trail 5k on Nov. 11. Told the kids they HAVE to run in the kiddie races this time. If they like it, I'll sign them up for the rest of the season, and if not, at least they tried. Made a little running skirt as motivation for my girly-girl daugter, not sure yet what to use to motivate my son.

On the other hand though... I'm toying with the idea of doing two marathons next year-January and September, which would likely mean skipping the local one in May. Who here has experience with multiple marathons in a calendar year? Good idea or not? My first/last marathon was last May, but I've been doing lots of 5&10ks, a couple HM+ training runs each month, and am seeing improvements in my running (so I'm not currently overdoing it).

You could probably do all three. There is time to recover between the races and even to improve for the next one. It does depend on how your time management works out. It's hard to find time to train when you have a job and a family, and marathons take a lot of training time. I have several friends who do multiple marathons each year. They usually pick one or two as goal races to focus on and just run the others for fun. A couple of friends do a half dozen or more each year. They don't have young kids though.

My biggest issue would be training for the September race in summer heat. I'd like to do a fall marathon, but don't handle long runs in the heat at all well so I stick to early spring marathons and do a HM in the fall. September is really iffy for race temperatures as well. Have a backup race a month or so later that you can do if the weather is really miserably hot.
  • bjderhak
    bjderhak Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Im training for the Celebration (fl) Marathon Jan 28. Ive also signed up for a 10k in St. Augustine (nov 12) and a half marathon in Sarasota (dec 10). I find that the smaller races every 6 weeks or so keep me motivated and on track instead of just training for a race that seems far off in the future.
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I have a 10K Turkey Trot in Thanksgiving, a 5K in December 2, and another 5K in December 16. My main goal, though, is the Star Wars Half Marathon in April 2018. My longest run is slowly approaching 10 miles, so I'm hoping that I'll be ready by April. I honestly think that a half marathon is my ceiling, but I'll play it by ear and for now enjoy running regardless of the distance.
  • simmoner4
    simmoner4 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Anyone running Boston in April?
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    simmoner4 wrote: »

Yes, but the formal training program won't start till after Christmas. I've been contemplating the Mistakes of Boston Past; I think I need to run the hills in Newton easier than I did the last 2 years.
  • spiriteagle99
    Options

I am. First time for me.
  • simmoner4
    Options

I am. First time for me.

My first time as well! Good luck!!
  • simmoner4
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

Yes, but the formal training program won't start till after Christmas. I've been contemplating the Mistakes of Boston Past; I think I need to run the hills in Newton easier than I did the last 2 years.

This is my first year. Training started today!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp @simmoner4 @spiriteagle99 Good luck all of you. I do most of my running in the Newton Hills (which is probably why I've never contemplated the Marathon). Marathon Day plays havoc with my work commute, so I tend to take the day off and find a spot to stand and cheer the runners on.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Just signed up for Madeira Marathon (Portugal), at the end of January. I'm training in a winter climate, and will be running in a spring climate. This will be my second marathon; no "one and done" for me! Sounds like the perfect way to kick off winter break!