What makes you to OVEREAT?

Options

Replies

• Mary90Mary
    Mary90Mary Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've got another one. It's feeling angry. Long rant below.
    Yesterday I had a combination of hangry(didn't eat for 6 hours), jealousy(my SO who also is on a diet ate more grilled chicken, ate grilled ribs I bought(wanted to save for later), ate a full plate of salad with olive-oil and had dessert(popcorn, crackers, my dark chocolate and honey-glazed nuts)while I ate one chicken club-thigh, quinoa and grilled veg(I was full afterwards but still)), annoyance my SO was snoring so loudly he woke me up at least 5-6 times had to go to the sofa to sleep and disappointment(I burnt sunflower-seeds and oats i the oven). In the middle of night I was craving something, anything! So I ate some of the burnt sunflower-seeds and oats, some salt, leftover grilled veg and raw squash. Not the worst binged I've had but still felt I couldn't completely control myself and today I ate more than usual sushi and even got six pieces of deep fried very unhealthy pieces, ate all the batter. Can't say I didn't enjoy it but I'm still mad and feel guilty right now. I'm sorry for the vent.
    tldr; Mad yesterday, today still mad + guilty + realization.
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    In addition to all of the things you all wrote, I realized, I eat because I want to be like everyone else. I was always seen as the heavy one in my family so my parents tried to control what I ate while my sisters could eat whatever they wanted. They got treats in their lunches for school, etc.. I think I just grew up believing that the accepted people in life could eat what they wanted and the defective ones were banned from treats. I eat to feel like a normal person. Never really put that out there before. Thanks!
  • QUEENxo1992
    QUEENxo1992 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I tend to overeat or binge when I don't eat enough. And it's mostly at night. Salads, lots of veg during the day, lots of protein, and I stay filled up but if I haven't eaten enough or feel hungry I tend to grab a quick snack. But then that snack turns into more and more. So I try to meal prep ahead and eat enough during the day and eat healthy foods I like and enjoy so I don't over eat those sugary and salty snacks. I'd rather over eat too much healthy food than saturated fats!
  • rabbitjessica
    rabbitjessica Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I overeat when I am bored or something is really bothering me
  • CocoaMUA
    CocoaMUA Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I overeat on the weekends mostly, when I'm bored and/or really like something that I brought or made. I also eat for comfort and boredom when sitting in front of the T.V.

I'm working on being more mindful when I feel like this so I can make the conscious decision to get up and move or do something different.
  • ValentineMomma
    ValentineMomma Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It's strange I eat because I'm bored and because I think I'm going to get satisfaction. The satisfaction doesn't come these days, because I'm already eating whatever I want. Time to put myself in check.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I overeat when I'm tired, looking for energy. How do others with that problem handle it?
  • Sunnyme333
    Sunnyme333 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    For me it's dealing with fibromyalgia pain. If I would just remember the other options I need to try I would feel so much better about myself and it might actually help me cope with pain better or lessen it.
  • Kellielvsfam
    Kellielvsfam Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Sunnyme333.I also suffer from fibro :s ...And i have dealt with 2 failed back surgeries for the past 10 yrs,degenerative disc disease and arthritis,chronic fatigue.It seems like such a huge chore to get and get moving,just to clean my house abit.I have a free gym membership thru my husbands work.It's not far from where i live,it's just so hard to get motivated to get dressed,gather my stuff and go.I can only use 3 machines.Bike 10-15 min,treadmill 10 min and the rest is swimming,i'll do jumping jacks in the water.So i use that as an excuse not to go.I'm an emotional eater.Thats for sure!I can go all day long and not even think of food.It's once my husband comes home from work,we eat dinner together,then he goes to his computer room .After being left alone all day[i'm disabled and haven't been able to work in 10 yrs]After dinner is over,i'm left alone again.Until he goes to bed,he will come in and kiss me me goodnight.My worst hours are between 5 and 11pm.The only thing i EVER want to eat is chocolate!I could care less about anything else.When i go to buy it,i always buy 2 bags .1 is never enough.My entire life changed 4 yrs ago,when i lost my momma.I come from a big family,once she was gone,it all fell apart.[long story]My daughter also walked away from our little family 4 yrs ago.So every single year,i get bigger and bigger.This year i'm bigger than i have ever been in my life!When i was younger,more active and working.I stayed between a size 7 -10.I am currently 5ft3 and weigh 270 lbs!I am soa fraid of getting diabetis,like my father and grandma,also heart issues run strongly in my family.I just bought some alli to block some of the fat from absorbing in my body.Along with taking this,i have told myself i will be commited to going to the gym 2 times a week!I'm hoping to work my way up to 3 times per week.I'm so desperate to try and break this cycle.I need to do things that make ME happy,so i'll stop self destructing all the time.My life has changed,family is gone.So,it's time to just accept it and deal with it.If any of them come back into my life,i will be very cautious,but it would be welcomed.If they don't ,then they don't.I need to start living again.I have a 5 yr old grandson,who stays with us every weekend.He needs me to be in better shape,so i can play with him abit,like i used to.He's one of my big motivators to beat this emotional eating pattern.
  • jesscote78
    jesscote78 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When I feel emotionally unstable such as sadness, stress, alone, etc.. I tend to eat mindlessly. I don't even realize I ate something until a minute or so after I already ate it!! Help!
  • KotoMalli
    KotoMalli Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I overeat because I rarely feel full/satisfied (due to a hormone imbalance) and I will overeat when I do not pay attention to the calories. I also tend to tire easily and seek energy in food.

I grew up as an obese child and dropped weight gradually in high school. I've fluctuated 20-30 pounds up and down the past few years and it's very exhausting. Recently, I've felt very upset at how uncomfortable I feel about my body...so I tend to eat and the cycle continues. I am very inconsistent... )=
  • jesssantos32
    jesssantos32 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    wifeyy wrote: »
    I tend to overeat when i am stressed!
    Or when i cook something i really enjoy eating as well for my family
    it is so hard to eat just a bit of it.:noway:

I also overeat the day after my weigh in and once i do that it is always soooo hard to get back on track the next day!

What makes you overeat?
    wifeyy wrote: »
    I tend to overeat when i am stressed!
    Or when i cook something i really enjoy eating as well for my family
    it is so hard to eat just a bit of it.:noway:

I also overeat the day after my weigh in and once i do that it is always soooo hard to get back on track the next day!

What makes you overeat?

• Ila1227
    Ila1227 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Sadly I am coming off. A binge today. I know it's been over a week but can't remember how long. I "decided" to eat and partake in all the goodies brought into work. They celebrate 12 days of Christmas so guess I have been stuffing my face that long. Why? Big big problems st home that is breaking my heart along with the fat and cholesterol. Today I am working on clean eating and entering in my diary. Eating doesn't change situations. Just my weight. Wish me well
  • Kellielvsfam
    Kellielvsfam Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    @lla1227..At least you are "coming off" now.Can't undo what's happened,only work on fixing it now.I hope you continue to write in your diary too.I just started back at it last night and it really helped me to not have that late night snack i've been indulging in.I'm not sure what i weigh right now,because i can't just get on a scale and move along.I tend to get obsessive about weighing myself ,which leads to more problems.I'm not sure what your big problems are at home,but can relate to be heartbroken and unhappy at home.I wish you well~Kell
  • Emeraldreign
    Emeraldreign Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I overeat when......
    Im sad
    Im angry
    Im happy
    Im lonely
    Im bored
    Im stressed
    Im at a party
    Im at a family get together
    I want to make myself feel better
    Ive accomplished something, overeating is like a "treat"

So yeah....I think thats pretty much it!

That
  • Emeraldreign
    Options
    PAIN. That's a huge one for me. I have been in pain more than 20 years. Dr's refused to give me pain meds. So when the pain is unbearable I eat and drink until the pain is bearable again.

I think I'm going to have to insist on some mild pain medication. I've been just suffering when I shouldn't have to.

That's why I don't go out often. It hurts so bad. Once I'm on my feet I can fake it. I know people think I have to pee all the time but I don't. I'm squirming because it hurts so bad.
  • Emeraldreign
    Options
    redstuff wrote: »
    I eat the wrong things and too much of them when I'm tired. I know that I should eat the grapes instead of the cookie or the crackers, but when I'm tired the cookie and crackers call to me!!!
    Stress makes it happen too.

I really think it's the preservatives. They're addictive. If you don't eat fast food for a couple weeks you don't crave it. One order of chix nuggets and fries or egg mcmuffin and it's all you think about.
  • Emeraldreign
    Options
    curlac wrote: »
    I overeat when I feel any emotion. I often wonder what the heck is wrong with me that I cant stop and say hey lady you are not hungry step away from the ice cream.

Additives and preservatives. Basically food crack
  • Brendamyers102
    Brendamyers102 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I overeat when I feel anything emotional or when I'm bored or feel deprived
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    So many honest people here, willing to say the truth about what's happening to them. Its great t'read thru the posts. Thanks every one of you, it helps me understand my own problems and set backs.