Britt’s Flirty at Thirty OMAD Journey

Options

Replies

• mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    Options
    NICE LOSS BABE! I'm using y'all as inspiration to get back on the right track!
  • tlblanksfit
    tlblanksfit Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Wow Britt, I knew you could do it...Great job getting into the 140s before the end of the month.
  • brittdee88
    brittdee88 Posts: 1,874 Member
    Options
    1/28
    Weight: 148.8
    Exercise: 25-minute upper body resistance band workout
    OMAD at 3:00 PM:
    2adq2j618t50.jpg

I really overcorrected with this one. My macaroni pie recipe has always served 8, so I scooped out an eighth like normal, and it looked okay on the plate. But then I forced myself to eat the second half of that serving after I was full in the name of eating more fat, and it was just wayyyyy too much. I am feeling post-thanksgiving dinner belly right about now. Listening to my body just seems to be the best option here as opposed to me trying to shovel it in to hopefully stay 100% compliant to OMAD. I was just talking about how happy I was that I can't eat so much in one sitting, and then I went and did the opposite :s I definitely will only be eating once today, but I am super uncomfortable for it. Next time I will stop when I'm done and just be okay if I need to have a snack later since I am exercising. I always have yogurt on deck, so this was not necessary. Lesson definitely learned.
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    148.8 :):):)
  • brittdee88
    Options
    Thanks so much, ladies! Happy to be back on the right side of things. Hoping to see 148.2 by Thursday (although who knows after this crazy meal I just had). My last WI before those 2 weeks of celebrating was 149.2, so it'll be nice to see a pound gone.
  • mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    Options
    NICE WORK BRITT! At least with your meal, you won't be hungry in a few hours and be tempted to eat more! That's an upside...you're kicking a** and I'm excited to see where you go soon!
  • brittdee88
    Options
    That's true, but I will have to definitely cut that macaroni portion in half next time. I am sick, but I definitely needed to sleep that one off -- that 2.5 hour nap was at least 80% because of that macaroni LOL!
  • brittdee88
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Oh, I forgot to update:
    My original plan was to eat primarily at Whole Foods' hot bar instead of cooking during the semester because I get busy, but I noticed that there is only one type of hot seafood entree offered all month along with a few types of tuna salad (which are delicious!), and a couple different types of seafood soups/chowders that usually contain wheat at my local WF. I won't be eating enough variety by sticking solely to the bar as I planned. I also recently discovered that rice seems to give me an allergic reaction -- it oddly creates some sort of web of mucus around my throat that captures tiny particles of food and causes them to get stuck unless I cough them up (usually in the middle of the night). It's been happening for weeks, but I couldn't pinpoint the culprit until last week. I am thinking it may have to do with the high likelihood of cross contamination from wheat crops since I never experienced this when I specifically sought out gluten-free rice (and most restaurants/people don't do this), but I am not 100% sure. So rice (and the poke bowls that I would also eat for fish variety) is out, which means takeout/delivery/campus options are severely limited around these parts. I also have a similar reaction to beans now, which doubly sucks.
    SOOOO... all that to say: I am back to cooking, but I am only making meals that I can prepare in a short amount of time. That means batch-cooked sides with the variety coming from the entrees. I made two types of shrimp for four meals today, and I will be making two types of red snapper tomorrow or Thursday for the rest of the week's meals. The plan from next week on is to shop and meal prep for the entire week on Monday morning so that I have multiple options from which to choose during the week for the fish variety I need. When things get very hectic, I will go back to the hot bar for those particular days/weeks, but I know I cannot expect to get all I need from eating the same fish prepared the same way everyday for months on end.
  • Brendalea69
    Options
    I'm sorry Britt, I can't even imagine what it's like to have a food allergy :(
  • brittdee88
    Options
    No worries, @Brendalea69! I’m used to it now, and I have gotten to the point where I am grateful that I know how to pinpoint things. It sucks to eliminate things, but the improvement in how I feel is absolutely worth it. Plus, after a while of elimination, I can sometimes reintroduce things for special occasions and not have a reaction. I know I won’t be able to avoid rice and beans with my fiancé’s family, so a clean break from them until our next gathering in August will give me a good chance of not having a reaction. I also feel very lucky to have these things happen when there are so many alternatives available at the grocery store that I don’t often feel too deprived. I can’t imagine having all of these allergies even just 15 years ago when affordable/widely available allergen-free offerings were pretty much unheard of! I may not have had a weight issue then, though!
  • brittdee88
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Just got a plan back from my friend who is a trainer/nutrition guy. First, he said he was vehemently opposed to me following OMAD while working out since I can't seem to eat in a huge volume anymore (he is a 16:8 IF proponent), but since he knows I am hard-headed, he gave me the following:
    • Eat a low carb protein bar immediately after every workout and eat meal about an hour after.
    • Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday (Rest/RT days) - moderate carb, low fat meal
    • Monday, Wednesday, Friday (HIIT days) - low carb, high fat meal
    • Saturday (Rest day) - eat free meal and really enjoy it
    I followed the protein bar recommendation after today's workout, and I will put the full plan in action starting tomorrow since I have to do some additional planning food-wise.
  • Brendalea69
    edited January 2018
    Options
    That sounds like a great plan, kinda what I'm doing except that I don't do the protein bar because I'm not doing HIIT and Im only walking on the treadmill...Good luck with this plan, you'll do great on it :)
  • brittdee88
    Options
    The decreased appetite was nice while it lasted. I must really be on the other side of my sickness because I was STARVING last night for the first time in a week, and I ended up having another meal again about 5 hours after my planned OMAD, which is what was happening before I made that new plan last week. Looks like I might be returning to it after all, though I will keep my friend's recommendations for carb cycling days. I'm sure he will be happy -- he really wanted me to adopt 16:8 or 14:10, and the latter is pretty much what I was doing last week before my appetite died.

Official weigh-in (2/1/18): 150.2
    Weeks to Maintenance: 20
    1x5s4hzdzibo.png
  • brittdee88
    Options
    New plan including carb cycling:

10myggfqv3c4.png

It would be great if this is truly the last one. I'm actually starting to get tired of trying things out. Hoping to be back into the 140s by Saturday's weigh-in!
  • brittdee88
    edited February 2018
    Options
    AND no appetite again today. I got a late start today because I just wasn't hungry and didn't eat until around 4, and I really had to eat super slowly to get it all down. I only had a protein bar about an hour before, and it was a higher carb meal per my schedule, so I thought for sure that I would be battling cravings. Nope. I still feel like I just ate. And all I want is water and a cup of tea. I can already feel that this is one of the days when I won't be eating again.

I am SO frustrated. It seems like whenever I set a plan, my body decides to do the opposite. I am at the point where I don't even want to plan anymore, but that could end HORRIBLY. My ability to discern and respond to my hunger has gotten relatively good now that I have not binged for well over 2 months, but I still don't know just how much I trust myself yet. I have noticed a pattern, though: on my hungrier days, I tend to get mildly hungry about 3-4 hours after my post-workout meal, and then I am starving at the 5-hour mark (like yesterday). And I guess it makes sense then that I am just not as hungry the next day (like today). I just am not sure when those days will happen. Most times they are on HIIT days, but it has happened on some RT days or on hormonal days before/during my period.

I am thinking that maybe I should just make sure I have my protein bar post-workout for recovery purposes and then let my body dictate what it wants after and keep a journal. As a fervent planner, this is really scary to me, but I also see that all of my well-intended planning is just not working. Since I always skip breakfast and exercise fasted, I will always be practicing some sort of IF, so that will at least be covered. And I think what's most important for me is to avoid both excess sugar and grazing -- if I am hungry, I need to eat a meal, even if it is small. And I will only weigh after less hungry days like today instead of on specific days of the week. Official weigh-ins will be all over the place, I guess. Weekends will still be OMAD-compliant, especially because I have also noticed that I only want to eat once a day on rest days anyway. But I think I just need to follow my body's lead during the week. I just don't want to force my body to eat when it doesn't want to or get to the point where I'm starving and want to binge just for the sake of sticking to an arbitrary plan.

Honestly, my ultimate goal has always been to eat intuitively (ie. like a "normal" person), and now that I have stopped binging, it actually seems somewhat doable. I am going to give it a try and keep this thread updated with OMAD meal pics and post-light day weigh-ins.
  • brittdee88
    Options
    Back down to 149 today after yesterday’s unintentional OMAD. I am feeling really, really good about eating more intuitively now. It just seems like the best way to keep it simple now that I can more easily differentiate between hunger and what can feel like hunger: loneliness, disappointment, deprivation, boredom, and I learned a new one today — having to go #2! I’m not super regular, and I hardly ever have to go in the morning, so I have never really consciously had to sit with that feeling since I usually have to go later in the day after I have already eaten. This morning, I felt that familiar emptiness and rumbling in my gut that I am sure I have mistaken for hunger in the past, but something in me just felt that I wasn’t truly hungry. My body knows I don’t eat in the morning, and I have honestly never really enjoyed doing it, so can I really be hungry? After about five minutes of being present with that feeling, I learned I just needed to go! I went, and the feeling has passed. It feels so liberating learning to be better attuned to my body!
  • brittdee88
    Options
    Just got hungry for the first time about 30 minutes ago and had WF cranberry tuna salad (one of my favorites!) wrapped in 4 thin tortillas and two cookies. I didn't get to take a picture because I was trying to focus on my hunger, but it was really tasty. It was really nice and empowering to wait to eat until I was really hungry, to eat what I was really craving, and to stop before I got too full. I didn't stop as soon as I should have because I am a bit past the point of satisfaction, but I think I will only get better with acknowledging where I am and more practice. I grabbed for some sparkling wine and put it back because I really didn't want it and just picked it up because it was there. I thought quickly about how dry sparkling wine doesn't even have that many calories, so why not? And it felt good to almost immediately respond with that's not the point! Breaking the diet mindset seems much less overwhelming now that I've realized it's really about making one decision at a time, one day at a time.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    brittdee88 wrote: »
    Back down to 149 today after yesterday’s unintentional OMAD. I am feeling really, really good about eating more intuitively now. It just seems like the best way to keep it simple now that I can more easily differentiate between hunger and what can feel like hunger: loneliness, disappointment, deprivation, boredom, and I learned a new one today — having to go #2! I’m not super regular, and I hardly ever have to go in the morning, so I have never really consciously had to sit with that feeling since I usually have to go later in the day after I have already eaten. This morning, I felt that familiar emptiness and rumbling in my gut that I am sure I have mistaken for hunger in the past, but something in me just felt that I wasn’t truly hungry. My body knows I don’t eat in the morning, and I have honestly never really enjoyed doing it, so can I really be hungry? After about five minutes of being present with that feeling, I learned I just needed to go! I went, and the feeling has passed. It feels so liberating learning to be better attuned to my body!

I always feel hungry shortly after I wake up but if I drink a glass of water, it goes away.
  • Brendalea69
    Options
    brittdee88 wrote: »

Yay, KUTGW!!! :smile:
  • brittdee88
    Options
    @blambo61 I am usually never hungry in the morning, so I was so confused! Breakfast always made me sick, so I have been skipping it since high school with a few exceptions here and there. The most I've done is had a late breakfast/brunch, and even that has been very occasional. I am always thirsty when I wake up, though! I am one of the lucky ones whose thirst doesn't seem to ever feel like hunger for some reason. Or maybe because I am fused to a glass 24/7, I just never get to that feeling... Sorry - I am rambling!

@Brendalea69 thank you!