TEAM: The Big Butt Theory (February)

Options

Replies

• enyagoboom
    enyagoboom Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Mariec1978 wrote: »
    Alright Big Butts! I have some questions...
    [snip]
    QUESTIONS: Has anyone else done Atkins successfully while still counting calories? How did you feel during the Induction Phase? How long does it take to stop feeling like a big baby about not being able to have certain foods because they are too high in carbs? Did you go on carb overload at a certain point because you just couldn't take it anymore? When introducing carbs back in, did you find yourself gaining weight back?

Long response for you, Mariec.

I have done atkins twice. The first times was about 13 years ago and I did not count calories, just carbs basically. The first month was awful and it got better from there but I really did miss some of my favorite foods. I even had a boyfriend who was doing it at the time and he would eat what he called 'scalped pizza' which was just the cheese and pepperoni pulled off the top. I went off atkins when I travelled europe for a year. All told I lost around 50lbs from induction to the end of my trip. When I came home I regained my weight because I was not counting my food calories, not caring about what I ate, and most importantly, not moving around whereas I was walking and hauling things everywhere, every day for months prior.

The second time I tried atkins I got really, really sick during induction. Not just the flu people talk about, but it felt like my body was flat out rejecting every attempt I made to lower my carbs and eat protein/fat. I stuck it out for three weeks and nearly ended up in the hospital. My now husband told me if I didn't stop that stupid diet, he was shipping me home (we lived in texas temporarily at the time). I am also super sensitive to issues like this due to problems I had in my much younger years with anorexia. Complete mess.

So my questions for you:
    1. Do you feel like you are getting the bang for every calorie you eat?

2. Rough percentage - how often do you eat for pleasure/socialization and how often do you eat for energy? (for example, when I started this in July, I would have said I eat 50% for pleasure, 50% for energy. Now it's 95% energy, 5% pleasure. There is no wrong answer, I just want you to think about *why* you are eating and why restriction is important).

3. If tomorrow a doctor told you that you absolutely could not do atkins any longer because it was not good for you, what would you do differently? Would you still be changing your health habits?
  • jackinorrie
    jackinorrie Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Mariec1978 wrote: »
    Alright Big Butts! I have some questions...

I have tried every diet out there: Trim Healthy Mama, Weight Watchers, Whole30, Low Calorie, Low Fat, and many more. I am currently trying Atkins. I am in the Induction Phase (Phase 1). I feel moody and down right deprived. I want some dang bread. I want some dang potatoes. I want some dang rice. You get my point. I feel I am having a harder time mentally on this diet than any other because the foods I love are so limited. I can admit I have an obsession with potatoes and rice. I am also having a hard time concentrating on calories and carbs at the same time. Staying below 20 grams of net carbs is tough, but doing it while staying below 1400 calories is even harder! At least it's hard to do and remain satisfied.

QUESTIONS: Has anyone else done Atkins successfully while still counting calories? How did you feel during the Induction Phase? How long does it take to stop feeling like a big baby about not being able to have certain foods because they are too high in carbs? Did you go on carb overload at a certain point because you just couldn't take it anymore? When introducing carbs back in, did you find yourself gaining weight back?

First, and foremost- do not count calories during the initial 2 weeks. Your body is going through a detoxification of sugar/carbs. Eat until you are full on as many foundation veggies and quality fats as you want (I.e. avocado). You may want to add a tiny more protein, but not a ton as it will slow your detox. (Too much protein gets processed by the body in the same way sugar/carbs do)

You WILL crave, feel icky, experience a loss of concentration and get the “carb flu” - this lasts a different amount of time for each person but tends to resolve by day 10. To help abate these symptoms, drink chicken broth - it’s a miracle! However, IF your symptoms are unbearable, increase your carb count by 5 a day until you can tolerate them. Then reduce by 5/day to get back to <20.

You are craving potatoes and rice specifically because your body ‘knows’ by your former eating habits that those foods will give it the ‘fix’ it needs.
  • jackinorrie
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Omg my posts keep getting truncated!!!

I’ll recreate the rest of that post as soon as I can. Sorry!!
  • holly2e
    holly2e Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    @Mariec1978 I personally don’t think Atkins is a very good or healthy long term solution. If you are looking for a research-based approach to weight loss, and you can handle a somewhat restricted diet, I would recommend Bright Line Eating by Susan Peirce Thompson. I have read the book and although I’m not currently following her plan, I believe it’s solid science. Might be worth looking into.
  • lawyerette
    lawyerette Posts: 301 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    @Mariec1978 I have such a hard time doing this, but I’m going to try for my week (starting today) to take some time for me every day. My husband begs me to and I never do. Thanks for being the inspiration I’m thankful for this week.

And the best advice I can give you during Atkins is to DRINK water. Like tons. I trashed my kidneys on it. Don’t be me: drink your body weight in ounces of water every day.
  • jackinorrie
    Options
    MUAC Feb 8

Tracked: yes
    Carbs/Calories: yup
    Exercise: no, I’m stiiilllll sick.
  • Mariec1978
    Mariec1978 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    lawyerette wrote: »
    @Mariec1978 I have such a hard time doing this, but I’m going to try for my week (starting today) to take some time for me every day. My husband begs me to and I never do. Thanks for being the inspiration I’m thankful for this week.

And the best advice I can give you during Atkins is to DRINK water. Like tons. I trashed my kidneys on it. Don’t be me: drink your body weight in ounces of water every day.

Awww...thanks! And do what your husband says. Take time out for you. No matter what it is. I would suggest something that is relaxing since you have a high-stress job AND children. It is okay to unplug from your responsibilities every once in a while.
    We have a running joke in our house. If I am taking time out for me, and my husband or kids call me, I respond with, "Mom is on vacation right now. She will be back in the office at 8PM." They have learned (been trained) to not bother me until that time. It works for us and they don't get mad or disappointed. It's also okay to let your husband handle things while you are doing stuff for yourself. The kids will fall in line quickly with the "Mom Needs a Break" routine too.
  • thedestar
    thedestar Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    Feb 8th
    Tracking- yes
    Calories- yes
    Exercise- yes, 30 min cardio DVD
  • ladyj22
    ladyj22 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Ladyj22
    Friday
    138.6:(
  • motheroftwins95
    motheroftwins95 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Motheroftwins95
    Week 1
    Friday
    Previous weight: 146.8
    Current weight: 150.4

Major stress going on. No end in sight. I've got to figure out another way to handle the stress besides eat!
  • HASWLRS
    HASWLRS Posts: 7,997 Member
    Options
    enyagoboom wrote: »
    Weekly Weigh in
    Username: enyagoboom
    Weigh in week: Week 1 (right?)
    Weigh in day: Thursday
    Previous weight: 193.0
    Current weight: 190.7

This was a pleasant surprise this morning and kind of needed after the rough few days I've had.

@enyagoboom, so happy for you that you got a little (well, more than a little!) gift on the scale this morning. Unexpected or not, it is well deserved! I imagine this will definitely help you feel better!
  • HASWLRS
    HASWLRS Posts: 7,997 Member
    Options
    Username: Gwenfromnyc
    Weigh in week: 1
    Weigh in day: Thursday
    Previous Week's weight: 273.6
    Todays Weight: 270.1

@Gwenfromnyc, I am so happy for you that you have gotten yourself back on track!! I knew you had it in you....you proved that before the holidays! A very solid loss this week!!
This discussion has been closed.