Scale, why should I dump thee? Let me count the ways....

Options
1234568»

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    ^^^ You are just BAD, sir! :D:D:D
  • Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was weigh-in day and sure enough instead of one step forward, I'm two steps back. Or maybe that's three steps back.

It's also Thanksgiving weekend here, we celebrated yesterday at my mum's place, and I managed not to be in a sour mood for the entire day despite the disappointment on the scale.

Today however, I am feeling glum about the numbers. Trying to fight the negative vibes by reminding myself of all the things I have to be thankful for.
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    My scale died a month ago. I haven't replaced it. I feel so free!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    MistressPi wrote: »
    My scale died a month ago. I haven't replaced it. I feel so free!

Ding, dong, the ^*#$= is dead! :p
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    ...Language.... :D
  • Good_Morning_Glory
    Good_Morning_Glory Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    With my old school analog scale, in which I cannot see clearly, it's a guessing game. Welps, it looks like it went down some. It's also heavy, so it can double as a weapon for the kitchen scale when I'm weighing mayonnaise!! BACK OFF YOU LYING *kitten*, ain't no WAY that's 14 grams!!!!!! :D
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    With my old school analog scale, in which I cannot see clearly, it's a guessing game. Welps, it looks like it went down some. It's also heavy, so it can double as a weapon for the kitchen scale when I'm weighing mayonnaise!! BACK OFF YOU LYING *kitten*, ain't no WAY that's 14 grams!!!!!! :D

LOL. I've never been too bothered by my body weight scale but the food scale? Totally agree. Sometimes I really want to cry with the visual of 32 grams of peanut butter. :'(
  • RalfLott
    Options

Dang... can you dehydrate the mayo, then add H20 after you weigh it?? Kittens can sometimes be dealt with.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Isn't dehydrated mayo egg powder, lol?
  • Good_Morning_Glory
    Good_Morning_Glory Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »

Tricksy. But true.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »

Tricksy. But true.

:o?
  • solska
    solska Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I love my scale on days it shows progress. And think it's broken or off on days when it won't. Love hate relationship.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Steph_Maks wrote: »
    I hate how much power the scale has over me, my mood. I know, logically, it should not rule me like it does.

I know and often say, it is not the only metric, it is not even necessarily the best metric. Unfortunately, it is still the most common metric.

In my experience, that is what people ask or mention. "How much weight have you lost?" "How many pounds this week?" "Wow you've lost weight."

From doctors too. "You need to lose XX pounds." or "Come back when you're under XXX pounds." or that sort of thing. It's never "I want you to feel 17% better." or "Come back when you're down three dress sizes."

This is the disconnect, the cognative dissonance that I feel when approaching the scale.

I know, logically, that regardless of whatever number it displays, I'm the fittest I've been since probably the 1980's. I know that almost every piece of clothing I own is now loose. (The only remaning clothes still tight are things I've kept from waaaaaay back that I'll soon fit into again.) I know that the number on the scale does not change how I look, how my clothes fit, or the progress I've made in the past ~22 months.

And yet, if that number is higher than it was last week, I will feel crummy. I will literally feel bad for a day, or two, or three, depending how much higher that number is. Conversely if the number is lower, I'll feel good. Energized, happy.

I don't like that the scale has this power over my mood. But I don't know how to stop it. And I can't just stop weighing myself, because of aforementioned doctors. (Lose xx pounds, get under xxx weight, et cetera.) And then, as my dad used to say, "How do you know you're winning, if you don't keep score?" :wink:

Finally, despite the way it affects my mood, I do not let it affect my behavior. Whether up or down, I don't let the scale or my mood drive me off plan, either to celebrate or to assuage my sorrows.

I just want to get the number off the scale without also getting all the emotions. Maybe someday I'll be able to do that.

Edited to add: It feels like the scale's power is greater now than it has been in the past. As of last Sunday, I'm 2 lbs away from a big milestone, and 15 lbs away from a major milestone, so it feels like every week has the potential to be a step forward or two steps back.

Can't let it get you down! I really like to weigh and did so when I was skinny. I usually weigh morning, after a workout, and in the evening. It will go down a couple lbs after a workout, up 4-lbs after eating and before bed and back down 2-3 lbs in the morning. I know if I kept my calories down, I didn't gain fat and I'm just retaining water so it doesn't matter what the scale says. Also, if I have a good run, the NSV is even better for me than seeing a drop in weight! Sorry didn't notice the old date on this before posting.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    Steph_Maks wrote: »
    I hate how much power the scale has over me, my mood. I know, logically, it should not rule me like it does.

I know and often say, it is not the only metric, it is not even necessarily the best metric. Unfortunately, it is still the most common metric.

In my experience, that is what people ask or mention. "How much weight have you lost?" "How many pounds this week?" "Wow you've lost weight."

From doctors too. "You need to lose XX pounds." or "Come back when you're under XXX pounds." or that sort of thing. It's never "I want you to feel 17% better." or "Come back when you're down three dress sizes."

This is the disconnect, the cognative dissonance that I feel when approaching the scale.

I know, logically, that regardless of whatever number it displays, I'm the fittest I've been since probably the 1980's. I know that almost every piece of clothing I own is now loose. (The only remaning clothes still tight are things I've kept from waaaaaay back that I'll soon fit into again.) I know that the number on the scale does not change how I look, how my clothes fit, or the progress I've made in the past ~22 months.

And yet, if that number is higher than it was last week, I will feel crummy. I will literally feel bad for a day, or two, or three, depending how much higher that number is. Conversely if the number is lower, I'll feel good. Energized, happy.

I don't like that the scale has this power over my mood. But I don't know how to stop it. And I can't just stop weighing myself, because of aforementioned doctors. (Lose xx pounds, get under xxx weight, et cetera.) And then, as my dad used to say, "How do you know you're winning, if you don't keep score?" :wink:

Finally, despite the way it affects my mood, I do not let it affect my behavior. Whether up or down, I don't let the scale or my mood drive me off plan, either to celebrate or to assuage my sorrows.

I just want to get the number off the scale without also getting all the emotions. Maybe someday I'll be able to do that.

Edited to add: It feels like the scale's power is greater now than it has been in the past. As of last Sunday, I'm 2 lbs away from a big milestone, and 15 lbs away from a major milestone, so it feels like every week has the potential to be a step forward or two steps back.

Can't let it get you down! I really like to weigh and did so when I was skinny. I usually weigh morning, after a workout, and in the evening. It will go down a couple lbs after a workout, up 4-lbs after eating and before bed and back down 2-3 lbs in the morning. I know if I kept my calories down, I didn't gain fat and I'm just retaining water so it doesn't matter what the scale says. Also, if I have a good run, the NSV is even better for me than seeing a drop in weight! Sorry didn't notice the old date on this before posting.

It's a good thread though. :smile:
  • RalfLott
    Options
    I have a few stock lines when people ask if I've lost weight, have cancer or GI distress (yes, really).

My current go-to is something like, "Oh dear, I must be dehydrated again."
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I love this thread...it should be resurrected often!