Scale, why should I dump thee? Let me count the ways....

Options

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the scale I have is a non-trickster, and I cannot *kitten* with it to change the result when I step on it. It doesn't matter where I put it (except on top of a pillow, probably but I haven't tried that) it gives the exact same result 3x to the 10th of a lb. If I do try to lean in a certain way, stand on one foot, or use the sink (lookin at you @RalfLott) for support it just reads ERROR. Dammit, I can't get away with anything.

I already have a *KITTEN* scale.
    hello-kitty-digital-body-composition-weight-scale-01.jpg

:s I'd say you're pretty well *kitten* That's what happens when you buy quality products..... (And I can understand now how you might be driven to suggest bopping *kitties* when they disrupt your sleep.)

Maybe redo the color scheme to browns? (You'd eventually have to repurpose your finky scale to weigh ounces of broccoli or serve cocktails on. Then you could buy a suitable earth-tone replacement at a thrift store.) ??
  • ProCoffeenator
    ProCoffeenator Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    The scale and I have come to terms.. we've got an agreement if I'm honest it will be happy to let me know what it believes to be true based on my uneven floors. It also confessed to me that I need to develop a better friendship with the tape measure downstairs. However the tape measure and I only get to see each other maybe once a week
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    @ProCoffeenator absence makes the heart grow fonder (for the tape measure). My scale isn't a pink (hello) Kitty. It is a dull boring white and silver gadget. It does not match my pink, orange, and lavender bathroom colour scheme. Yes, my bathroom really is those colours. I need to buy this scale purely for aesthetic value.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    The scale and I have come to terms.. we've got an agreement if I'm honest it will be happy to let me know what it believes to be true based on my uneven floors. It also confessed to me that I need to develop a better friendship with the tape measure downstairs. However the tape measure and I only get to see each other maybe once a week

Can you trust the scale not to *kitten* around with the tape measure when you're not home?
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    my scale I step on get a weight off on a again a pound difference of on again another pound difference. in under a minute I have 3 lb difference. I take the highest bit that is crazy!!

I think I need a kitten scale
  • RalfLott
    Options
    my scale I step on get a weight off on a again a pound difference of on again another pound difference. in under a minute I have 3 lb difference. I take the highest bit that is crazy!!

I think I need a kitten scale

Swami says you've got a good one - save the $.
  • jenngerpeacox
    jenngerpeacox Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to save my pennies for a new scale with the BF measure...any brands or scales that are affordable but accurate with this tech on them? I've had my ww scale for 10 years, I'm surprised the battery hasn't died with the number of times I have stepped on it, my kids have played with it, etc...we won't go to etc. I've been low carb for about 3 weeks and only lost 6 lbs, I don't think I've been in ketosis the whole time...I'm having difficulty letting go of my fruits and veggies. But I have noticed a huge diff in my clothes and I'm using that as my gauge that I'm doing something right.
  • ProCoffeenator
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Can you trust the scale not to *kitten* around with the tape measure when you're not home?

I have them separated. Different rooms, different floors. It also helps the tape measure is kept to n my pin box. So if that scale comes looking it's in for a surprise!
  • collegefbfan
    collegefbfan Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    @ProCoffeenator ... The getting on and off and in the buff. That is me too. I purchased mine from Amazon. Their top seller was only 23 bucks. I get on then off then on then off.. you get the idea. It weighs the same each time unless their is some bathroom activity in there somewhere.
  • ProCoffeenator
    Options
    When I say uneven floors... ridiculous granite tiles that nobody in their right mind should have ever installed! They are a *kitten* to clean because of all the crevices in them.
    So the habit was born of stepping on and off a few times to make sure you've got a level spot!
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I have a bad habit of basing my entire day's mood on what the scale says each morning, which is obviously counterproductive. I still weigh every day (same time, same place, same circumstances) and try to look at trends rather than individual data points. Five extra pounds on me equals a completely different clothing size so I don't have much engineering tolerance.

To weigh or not to weigh, that is the question.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Bump
    throw your scale in a dumpster
  • kimberlyb6682
    kimberlyb6682 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have 2 scales and step on both of them every day. Though I recently discovered there is nothing wrong with ether scale my bathroom floor isn't level in the spot where they live. All these months of torture that could have been avoided with a level
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Or a blow torch... . :smirk:
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Lol....Funny thread.....I have what I have affectionately termed as OSD (Obsessive Scale Disorder).

Forget not weighing yourself once a day, when I wasn't working I might weigh myself 5 times a day. Definitely overboard! :)

On a positive note, it did help me to see that my weight can change dramatically throughout the day so I don't freak out anytime I see a number I don't like. I know it can change in 5 minutes!

Don't do the 5 times a day anymore, but still weight myself every morning first thing and every night before bed. And always nekkid!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Ok, from a pure measurements science perspective (not a psychological perspective), taking measurements often makes sense. All the randomness in our weight (process noise) and all the variability in the measurement (measurement noise and bias errors) means you need to take more measurements to figure what is really going on. If you only take a weekly measurement but you have some cyclic fluctuation in weight or some random contributor the day you weigh, your measurement will not tell you really what is going on and could tell you you have gained weight when you really haven't. If you take a lot of data, you can see the trend-line through the noise to see what is really going on. If it bothers a person psychologically though, then that person shouldn't measure often. Also weight doesn't tell you what is happening to % body fat. You can gain muscle and weight and improve % body fat. I like to weigh and do so about twice a day. Once when I go to bed and once in the morning when I wake up.

I can stand on my scale with all weight on my right foot and then all weight on my left foot and the readings are about 5-lbs different! I try to stand evenly for my measurements.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    @blambo61, wouldn't the same logic apply to other biological measurements that sometimes seem unfavorable, like blood glucose and blood pressure....(and, uh.... IQ) ?