New To EM2WL? Introduce Yourself Here!

Replies

• zeraldalaattoe
    zeraldalaattoe Posts: 1 Member
    Hi my name is Zeralda, i am new to the group.
    In 2017 i put myself on a diet including a exercise routine, which went very well for 6 months. I have lost 15kg in that six months, mistake i made made was to take a break, there after i could not motivate myself to continue and gain back 5kg, i am trying but it is very difficult for some reason, so i would like some motivation from others to help myself get back on track.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    @zeraldalaatoe - great to have you here, to a reasonable approach.

Actually a diet break is a great idea. Perhaps it needed to come earlier though so it could be viewed as just this 1-2 week period eating at maintenance.

There is a topic in the forum posts here about that which could be useful for this go around.
  • kcmsmith0405
    kcmsmith0405 Posts: 259 Member
    welcome! This is a great place to be.
  • DropEverything
    DropEverything Posts: 1 Member
    Good morning! I am new to this forum and excited to have found it. I am 52 years old; 5'4"; 136 lbs. I workout at home, 5-6 days per week, utilizing online fitness tools. I want to build muscle to keep my metabolism revving, and lean out/lose fat, so that my muscles can be seen. My husband and I travel frequently, which makes achieving goals more challenging, though not impossible by any stretch of the imagination. I am often hungry and am excited about the likelihood that I don't have to be quite so hungry to achieve my goals. In fact, I am excited about the potentiality that I need to be eating more in order to achieve my goals. Eating more of the right foods, of course; but that is not where my struggles lie. Did I mention that I am excited to have found this forum?!
  • kcmsmith0405
    Welcome! Its a great place to be!
  • jean060
    jean060 Posts: 14 Member
    Hi
    I am Jean, this time last year I was 1.5 st less than I am now, I have lost 8lb over last couple of weeks with NHS funded healthy eatin group.......I am a typical yoyo dieter and need support in getting myself under control.
  • lanek3007
    lanek3007 Posts: 11 Member
    Hi, my name is Keisha and i am a MFP re-joiner. I am in dire need of loosing weight and finding a healthier way to eat that can include my picky children. I need new ideas. In the past I lost about 40 lbs doing weight watchers. I cant afford that anymore nor can I afford the gym (by the way, the gym does not motivate me). I know I have a to n of excuses put I definitely need help with accountability. No more excuses. I not only want to be healthy, I want to look good in my clothes. I am happy to meet this huge family!!!!!
  • mellissajohnson82
    mellissajohnson82 Posts: 2 Member
    edited April 2018
    I am a VSG pt. I had my surgery 2016 May. I am from Queens, NY. Lived in NY my whole life. I served 3.5 years in the Army Reserves and I have 1 daughter 13 years old. My initial goal was to get to 170lbs. I began at 280. I am now 158-160. I know what you're going to say...but you've reached goal. Yes this is true. I have set a new goal however and that is to get to at least 148. I am getting married in 2019 and I want to not only loose this last 12 pounds, but I also want to tone up as much of my abdominal area as possible.(I really don't want to wear a gurtile. They are not the most comfortable. I know beauty is pain however comfort is more important to me.)
    I need help setting a routine for the gym. I go to my gym at my job 5 days a week at 40 minutes each day ( I go during my lunch break at work) and mostly do elliptical and treadmill and stairs. I do the occasional reps on the weight machine but that's basically it. I have a membership at Planet fitness and plan to go there on the weekends and some days I have off. I work Monday through Friday 8am to 7pm in a hospital, so you know my life is pretty hectic to say the least.
    I have to be open with you all and let you know that I do suffer from anxiety. I have to motivation to go but the thought of being there by myself scares me. I live in an area that finding parking is like finding the holy grail. Once you have a spot, you better not move until the next day. It takes me close to 20 minutes just to end up finding parking close to 6 blocks or more away from my apartment. I purchased a bike to ride to the gym but the weather has been terrible. I get scared riding in the rain let alone snow or at night ( NY drivers are not the most courteous on the road).
    So back to me wanting to loose the 12 pounds. I need help. Any pointers to jump my metabolism? Food, snacks gym routine? I am finding that I am getting hungry faster. This app has given me a breakdown of what my goals for each are but still I am finding myself grazing. Any help would be appreciated.

• kcmsmith0405
    HI Melissa, not sure what a VSG patient is, but you can find information on how to do the reset in the Start here forum. The biggest help to jump my metabolism was to find out what my TDEE was and eating 30/30/40 carbs/fate/protein. I went up and ate at maintenance (TDEE) for a while and now I lose without being tired and hungry.

Kelly
  • kcmsmith0405
    welcome too Jean and Keisha!
  • mshieldnight95
    mshieldnight95 Posts: 11 Member
    Starting to feel self conscious of my weight. I way 139 now and was 125 last year. feel free to add me. I need to start drinking more water and walking on Tuesdays and Thursdays between classes.
  • heybales
    Starting to feel self conscious of my weight. I way 139 now and was 125 last year. feel free to add me. I need to start drinking more water and walking on Tuesdays and Thursdays between classes.

Just so you know, you obviously were eating more than you burned during that year.
    If we pretended no water weight and all fat because no resistance training was done, then:

14 lb x 3500 cal/lb / 365 days = 134 extra calories eaten per day. Or 940 weekly, over what you burned.

So if you are going to start walking on just 2 extra days a week, you'd need to burn in total 940 calories JUST to stop gaining fat.

No fat loss - just stop the gain.

You cut out 250 calories daily - it'll take you a year about to lose that weight. (134 is to stop the gain, other 115 to lose the fat, so tad over a year).

So do a combo of move a little more, and eat a little less - and you can probably take 1/2 year.

The drinking more water will do nothing for fat loss. May help you be more healthy sure.

It's good your recognize self-conscience about weight - since no one else sees your weight unless you invite them into the bathroom as you weigh naked in the morning.

Do some resistance training - that'll transform the body more. You'll appear to have lost weight then.
  • Bod4GodAnnice
    Bod4GodAnnice Posts: 12 Member
    Hi, my name is Annice. I'm 70 years old. I have stopped and started many times. But I made up my mind three weeks ago to press forward. I want to get off my HPB medicine and Cholesterol medicine. I need all the encouragement I can get. I look breakfast so any good ideas would be very helpful.
  • Netzie
    Netzie Posts: 107 Member
    Hello I am Linette I am over 50 and sick of diets hat just do not work. I just completed a Mindful Eating course that gave me some tools to help me gauge my hunger and eat more instinctively. Any support along this journey of Health and Loss is very welcome. I have about 100 pounds to lose. :)
  • MDAJACMAC
    MDAJACMAC Posts: 11 Member
    Hi I’m Jackie.
    I am 53 and need to lose weight, maybe 20kg and gain muscle. Last year I lost 10kg but have not lost any more despite continuing to eat the same way that allowed the 10kg loss.
    I am interested to look at others food journals to see what 40-30-30 looks like.
    Do I need to be friends with people to look at their journals?
  • heybales
    Do you mean eat at the same amount of calories as you were at the start of the 10Kg loss and through it?

That's would explain it then, along with a couple finer points.

• MDAJACMAC
    MDAJACMAC Posts: 11 Member
    I am eating freely at the moment no counting or tracking and am staying within the same 1-2 kg range. I know I need to change that to move the scale down and wanted to see what others are eating to get their 2000 cals at 40-30-30.
    Anyone willing to share their food diary with a newbie?
  • heybales
    You should check out scmsmith0405 - you don't have to be given specific permission if made public.
    Several other topics besides the intro one where you'll find regulars that give access to public.
  • carmeldes
    carmeldes Posts: 1 Member
    Hi, my name is Michelle. I am 207 lbs. My goal is to get to 150 lbs. I need to start exercising. I don't like it because my body hurts afterwards. I've been trying to dance to r&b line dance videos. I want to go vegetarian/vegan.
  • heybales
    carmeldes wrote: »
    Hi, my name is Michelle. I am 207 lbs. My goal is to get to 150 lbs. I need to start exercising. I don't like it because my body hurts afterwards. I've been trying to dance to r&b line dance videos. I want to go vegetarian/vegan.

Hurting could be an indication of needing better warmup to muscles that are sore, or stretching after whatever you do.

It could also be indication body was correctly stressed in order to make improvements, but the frequency isn't often enough so the pain stops - for many it will.

Or it could be it was too intense for level of ability, and need to start out slower until body is used to it.

Hope your goals can help - be aware that a total diet change like that can easily leave one malnourished for calories (not nutrients, except protein perhaps), which just like vitamin/mineral deficiency - can cause problems with body.