TEAM: Gutbusters (May)

Options

Replies

• szymanskicolleen
    szymanskicolleen Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    We are so busy this time of year wirh school and sports, I am not able to fully participate in the challenge.
    I will continue to work out before school.
    Good luck everyone!

@craigo3154 thank you so much for all of the work you put into these challenges. Feel free to take me out of May. :)
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    May 6
    Exercised?: Yes. Yes. Setup and takedown drone course (over 13,000 steps again).
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Today was qualifier for nationals. Nationals are in Perth in November, so a LONG way away). Pretty sure I was the oldest pilot in the field. Did not get an automatic entry into nationals from the club (only 4 club spot's and many more in the field way better than me). However nationals entry can be done through DVR footage and my times were good enough that if I want to go I most likely can. Personally I don't feel I am ready, but maybe after another year.

I did fly a personal best and was not the slowest in the field, so I count those as definite wins.

Daughter now home from interstate.

@susanbenita. Maybe not a sadistic streak, I enjoy seeing people progress. Unfortunately, this means getting people to do slightly more than average, but the benefits are worth it.

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for May 06 is sit-ups or crunches (abs day - be sure to use a mat or towel for cushioning - )

2 sets
    • First set till the point where you can do no more, wait 2 mins
    • Second set of 50% of the number you did in the first set (half)

The reason for only 2 sets for this exercise is that it ideally should be balanced with back strengthening exercises (which plank variants provide).
  • craigo3154
    Options
    Will post weeks results in the morning. Tired now. Long day.
  • LesIckaBod
    LesIckaBod Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I've missed the daily check-ins for a bit. I was on the 5 am train Thursday morning and busy all day with meetings, stayed at a hotel that night, then Friday meetings and back home. Thursday - my food choices were very poor. Again, I know I'm making the wrong choices sometimes, especially in this particular work context, and I see myself doing it, and yet I just do it anyway. Deliberate self-sabotage.

Friday: good food choices the whole day. Exercise incurred during the 20 minute walk between train stations. Tracked the food choices on Saturday based on my memory of Friday. It's possible I missed a thing or two.

Saturday: good food choices generally. No deliberate exercise, though I played outside with the little dudes for a while.

Sunday: so far so good. I've spent 1hr 40 min so far working while walking on the treadmill while husband and dudes are at a birthday party. I know what we're having for dinner (a good choice) and feel on track to start the week right tomorrow.
  • mrsjlmann
    mrsjlmann Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Weigh in week 2:
    Last week: 145.3kg
    This week 144.7kg
    0.6kg lost. Getting there slowly and steadily. Stupidly decided to go on a family walk yesterday. Ended up being 8 miles long on rough uneven terrain! Sore all over now with extreme pain where my right leg connects to the hip.
  • krissturner
    krissturner Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    mrsjlmann wrote: »
    Weigh in week 2:
    Last week: 145.3kg
    This week 144.7kg
    0.6kg lost. Getting there slowly and steadily. Stupidly decided to go on a family walk yesterday. Ended up being 8 miles long on rough uneven terrain! Sore all over now with extreme pain where my right leg connects to the hip.

Slow and steady is the best way to reach a goal.
    Best mistake I ever made was accidentally going on a 10 mile hike in a mountain lion habitat (ran into one of the mountain lions). I hated my body for a few days but it's one of my favorite stories now. :smile:
    Hope you feel better and recover quickly!
  • LesIckaBod
    Options
    Weigh in week 2:
    Last week: 208.7 lb
    This week 208.lb

0.7 lb lost. A relatively small loss this week, but that feels about right. This is progress. :smile:
  • brunchowl
    brunchowl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    User name: brunchowl
    May week 2
    Last week: 177.4
    Today: 176.8

Creeping along slowly, but my numbers are right for 2 lbs a week, so stay tuned for a big whoosh soon!
  • craigo3154
    Options
    May 7
    Exercised?: Yes. Walked 6km in 46mins (hills).
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Back to usual schedule today. Walk was nice, but weather definitely getting colder. Predicting bad weather later in the week.

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for May 07 is door frame rows ()

3 sets
    • First set till the point where you can do no more, wait 2 mins
    • Second set of 50% of the number you did in the first set (half)
    • Third set

The reason for this exercise is push ups and dips work primarily the triceps (pushing). This exercise balances the others by working the biceps (pulling).
  • craigo3154
    Options
    All Gutbusters:
    @biche896.
    @brunchowl.
    @concordancia.
    @eevang.
    @LesIckaBod.
    @mrsjlmann.
    @susanbenita.
    @westray16.
    @HSM2673.
    @inshapeCK.
    @parinzz.
    @Stimpy56.
    @alydanbeads.
    @fe452436.
    @szymanskicolleen.
    @typeitdaily.
    @emmclean.
    @krissturner.
    @Reanna143.
    @sunderland_mich93.
    @dlhollin1.
    @aeloine.

Week 1 results were published today. (https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10665331/week-1-may-results#latest)

Congratulations for @HSM2673. , @concordancia. @susanbenita. and @krissturner. for posting the largest percentage losses last week. (all over 1%). Great work.

Weight loss is never consistent, but take any victories you can get along the way. If working consistently, some weeks will be plateaus, others wooshes.

I STRONGLY encourage those serious about weight loss to measure (chest, waist, hips). These measurements change slower, but more consistently than weight.

Here is hoping you all have a great next week.

Go Gutbusters.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    We are so busy this time of year wirh school and sports, I am not able to fully participate in the challenge.
    I will continue to work out before school.
    Good luck everyone!

@craigo3154 thank you so much for all of the work you put into these challenges. Feel free to take me out of May. :)

@szymanskicolleen. The daily challenges are OPTIONAL. The only mandatory thing to stay in the group is weighing in once a week.

The daily challenges are to help in reaching your goals.

TBL itself is optional. If life gets too busy, it is fine to drop out and come back when things are better for you. TBL is another tool to help you where you stated you want to go.

Do you wish to stay in the TBL challenge or withdraw completely? You are welcome to stay even if you only do the minimum.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    Daily question: How much time (daily or weekly) do you put into attaining/maintaining you health goals?

Tracking for me takes no more than 5 minutes usually. (Usually same breakfast daily, most common foods I consume are in my history, weeks or weighing early on means my estimates are often within 10% (if unsure I will weigh a food, but this is rare)).

Activity is usually less than an hour per day. This is coupled with study (audiobook or language lesson) and helps me focus better afterwards.

I'd call 7 hours a week a fantastic investment considering the return I am getting.

Early on it was MUCH more than this as I needed to find what worked for me and learn about how the body works, how metabolism worked, what activities I could do (and enjoyed), even learning how to track properly (not only calories, but macros).

I also try give back about 30mins a day (at least) to MFP to help others. I personally get a lot of pleasure helping others succeed.
  • LesIckaBod
    Options
    craigo3154 wrote: »
    Daily question: How much time (daily or weekly) do you put into attaining/maintaining you health goals?

Definitely more than hour a day, including the research aspect and the dreaming aspect (where will I be in x weeks if I maintain y loss, etc).

Working out is about 30-50 minutes daily right now. Cooking is taking longer - about an hour for dinner each night. We were eating out way too often, and naturally cooking dinner takes more time than going out somewhere. (Actually, it probably takes the same amount of time, but cooking involves more work than sitting and waiting while someone brings me iced tea refills -- hey, more on-feet time for me!).

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I log at least 80 active minutes a day, but that does include daily activities. Turns out I have upped my movements enough that I usually hit that goal without counting gym time or dance classes.

I spend a lot of time on the forums to keep myself distracted. That will taper off eventually, but for now it helps.

I cook pretty simple meals, with minimal prep time, so that doesn't add up any faster than other ways of feeding myself. It also took some time to heat up pizza rolls, after all. And the junk food often meant extra trips to the grocery store or McDonald's.

Logging only takes a few minutes a day, unless I go out and have to spend time trying to figure out equivalents.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Username: concordancia
    Weigh in Day: Monday
    Week 2:
    Previous: 194.5
    Current: 192

Or 200, I can't get a straight answer out of the scale this morning. I have been heavier each time I step on it, even though I haven't had anything to eat or drink yet today and I did pee more. I can create mass by breathing!!
  • westray16
    westray16 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Username westray16
    Weigh in day Monday
    Previous week's weight 13st 9lbs
    Today's weight 13st 8lbs

I know it's only a pound but at least it's going in right direction. Good luck to everyone else.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    Happy weigh-in day for @eevang. @susanbenita. @dlhollin1.
  • susanbenita
    susanbenita Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    May week 2
    Last week: 183.8
    Today: 184

Not a happy bunny today with the scales. I feel a bit lighter and I quickly measured my waist which is half an inch down, so I'm OK with that. I suppose my whoosh came last week.

I tracked 5/7 days as I've been so busy with work. But most days my steps have been over 11000. Fitting in the daily challenge usually every other day (two challenges together). I'll try to improve that to daily this week.

I'm finding the logging takes me at least half an hour a day. I do like to vary my meals, though, and I'm a chef so I do cook from scratch most nights! Recipes take time to log!

I aim to do a 45 minute walk most days - it's not always possible but on those impossible days I'm so busy that the steps kind of take care of themselves.

Hope everyone has a great week. Go, GutBusters! xx
  • susanbenita
    susanbenita Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Username: concordancia
    Weigh in Day: Monday
    Week 2:
    Previous: 194.5
    Current: 192

Or 200, I can't get a straight answer out of the scale this morning. I have been heavier each time I step on it, even though I haven't had anything to eat or drink yet today and I did pee more. I can create mass by breathing!!

Take the 192, honey!
  • craigo3154
    Options
    May week 2
    Last week: 183.8
    Today: 184

Not a happy bunny today with the scales. I feel a bit lighter and I quickly measured my waist which is half an inch down, so I'm OK with that. I suppose my whoosh came last week.

I tracked 5/7 days as I've been so busy with work. But most days my steps have been over 11000. Fitting in the daily challenge usually every other day (two challenges together). I'll try to improve that to daily this week.

I'm finding the logging takes me at least half an hour a day. I do like to vary my meals, though, and I'm a chef so I do cook from scratch most nights! Recipes take time to log!

I aim to do a 45 minute walk most days - it's not always possible but on those impossible days I'm so busy that the steps kind of take care of themselves.

Hope everyone has a great week. Go, GutBusters! xx

@susanbenita. The size being down is FAR more important. Weight sometimes takes time to equalise after a woosh. This is normal. Keep doing what you are doing and I predict next week will be a reasonable loss again.

Recipes do take time to log. Finding the right DB entries on MFP for ingredients I find is more art than science. Pre-packaged stuff is easier (scanned barcode usually comes up with a hit), but often not as good as fresh ingredients.

As we are not in laboratory conditions, I take close enough is good enough for calories and macros (also for estimating exercise calories). Most days I ignore calories earned from exercise. I am successfully staying below my goal weight, so it's a system that works for me.

I agree that on busy days, you do not need "exercise". The level of activity is sufficient and the steps are a good estimate on how busy you have been.
This discussion has been closed.