TEAM: Gutbusters (May)

Options

Replies

• craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    May 11
    Exercised?: Yes. Walked 3km in 23mins (hills).
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Short walk today. Managed to pick the gap in the rain.

Busy weekend planned.

Visiting my mother on Mothers Day this Sunday.

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for May 11 is lunges ()

3 sets
    • First set 10 or 15 each leg (if 10 is too easy continue to 15).
    • Second set 6 or 9 each leg.
    • Third set 5 or 8 each leg.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I have really been struggling for the last week. While I have been blaming it on stress, a review shows that I have also been abandoning my near keto diet for actual keto, resulting in fewer veggies. Starting today, I am adding more veggies back to my diet in pursuit of when this seemed easier.
  • fe452436
    fe452436 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Username:fe452436
    Weigh in week:2
    Weigh in day:Friday
    Previous week weight:193.5 lbs
    Weight this Week:191.5 lbs
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I have really been struggling for the last week. While I have been blaming it on stress, a review shows that I have also been abandoning my near keto diet for actual keto, resulting in fewer veggies. Starting today, I am adding more veggies back to my diet in pursuit of when this seemed easier.

FML, my husband asked me to drive him at the last minute and I left my salad in the refrigerator, so I am having yet another protein bar for lunch.
  • emmclean
    emmclean Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Hi team, apologies for radio silence this week, been a pretty full on few days with travel, back to back meetings and a funeral too. Thankfully I've pretty much stayed on track this week with calories and got a decent work out in this evening. Been good to catch up on the conversations I've missed, lots of interesting reading. Let's see how the weigh in goes in the morning!
  • eevang
    eevang Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Food has been more of a struggle this week. I’ve had some good days mixed in, so it hasn’t been all bad.

However. Today I ate chocolate wafer cookies and donuts. Definitely not my usual. I’m realizing that I can’t allow myself to eat any dessert-like food earlier in the day ever...because I refuse to miss my nightly sweet. For lent I gave up baked goods which was a good thing since I have no will power in that area.

My normal dessert is chilly cow ice cream...it’s a half pint container so I can’t overdue it. Each one is around 170 calories and has higher protein than is normal in ice cream. I strongly recommend chillycow over halo top if you’re considering that sort of thing.
  • eevang
    eevang Posts: 187 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @emmclean glad you’re back! I’m sorry for your loss.
  • emmclean
    emmclean Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Username: emmclean
    Week: May Week 2
    Weigh day: Saturday
    Previous week: 197
    Current weight: 195

Glad those 2lbs came off! Thanks for the support @eevang - it's good to be back, hope the sweet cravings aren't too challenging next week :)
  • susanbenita
    susanbenita Posts: 95 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Good to see such great losses from lots of you this week! Wow, pressure is on for my weigh-in on Monday ;)
    Trying hard to stay on track but I've been busy entertaining all week. No big disasters, though, food wise.

May 11th
    Exercise: yes. Had a lovely 30 minute stroll with my (very active) 84year old mum through the beautiful country fields near our village in Portugal. Followed by a busy evening at work. Over 18000 steps achieved.
    Calories: Yes, under goal
    Tracked: yes
  • LesIckaBod
    LesIckaBod Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Check in May 10
    Exercise: yes
    Calories: yes

Check in May 11
    Exercise: yes (if I consider a 20 minute walk between train stations, plus walking at destination to be exercise)
    Calories: Yes

Train trip again yesterday, but this time completed without self-sabotage. I packed food for part of the trip, and planned for the salad I would by at the station on the trip home for dinner. Consider it a personal challenge completed!
  • LesIckaBod
    LesIckaBod Posts: 719 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    craigo3154 wrote: »
    • Track your calories and activity for 3 weeks.
    • Your true daily intake is the AVERAGE of 7 days. (3 days before, the actual day, 3 days after).
    • Track your weight DAILY (same time of day each day).
    • Your true weight can be taken as the average of 7 consecutive days weighing. (3 days before, the actual day, 3 days after - water fluctuations can really mess things up, so the average is essential).
    • Take your starting true weight and subtract your ending true weight.
    • Divide this true weight difference by the number of days recording for (this is the average daily loss).
    • Take your total of true daily intakes over the period and divide by the number of days to give your average total intake.
    • Your tracked TDEE is the average total intake PLUS the average daily loss (in lbs) * 3500.

Your target them becomes your tracked TDEE less 500 * lbs per WEEK targeting to lose.

Wow, thank you for this extensive formula. I finally had time this morning to put together a spreadsheet. The tracked TDEE based on a 3 week span seemed incredibly high to me, but I also had two extremely high calorie days in week 1 of that span, so I recalculated using the most recent 2 week span. The tracked TDEE there was 1863, with target at 1363. That feels closer to right, though the data includes only 13 days because there was one day last week that I didn't track.

I had been using 1400 as my target on MFP. I'm going to keep that for another week, work on tracking more accurately and consistently, and keep looking at the values. Thanks again for this formula!
  • Stefbomb2020
    Stefbomb2020 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Username: reanna143
    Weigh in week: Week 2
    Weigh in day: Saturday
    Previous Weight: 205
    Todays Weight: 205
  • sunderland_mich93
    sunderland_mich93 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Username: sunderland_mich93
    Weigh in week: Week 2
    Weigh in day: Saturday
    Previous Weight: 197.6
    Todays Weight: 197.5
  • craigo3154
    Options
    May 12
    Exercised?: Yes. Setup drone track (walking).
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Drone practice before lunch with friends.

Late post because daughter had full day musical rehearsal, then skating, so near midnight before posting and too tired.

Visiting my mother on Mothers Day this Sunday.

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for May 12 is plank. (standard, forearm or knee) (https://greatist.com/fitness/perfect-plank)

2 sets
    • First set 30 seconds if new to them, 60 seconds if a regular, 90 seconds if can regularly make 60 seconds. , wait 2
    • Second set 15 seconds, 30 seconds or 60 seconds
  • craigo3154
    Options

FML, my husband asked me to drive him at the last minute and I left my salad in the refrigerator, so I am having yet another protein bar for lunch.

@concordancia. This is normal. Life gets in the way. Do what you can and have a back-up plan like you do.

Oddly enough, for the human body there are no essential carbohydrates. Fats, amino acids (proteins), vitamins and minerals, but no carbohydrates. This means, if you can get the vitamins and minerals from sources other than fruits and vegetables, no vegetables are "required" in a diet.

Really low carb / keto means few vegetables. This is not really a problem for most people as long as you get the vitamins and minerals you need. Most people are taught "you MUST eat your veges", but it is simply not true.

Apart from carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals, the best thing vegetable bring in insoluble fibre. This is not absorbed by the body and helps keep the waste elimination system in good shape (as well as slowing the absorption of glucose from carbohydrate - which as I mentioned in previous posts is a GOOD thing).
  • craigo3154
    Options
    fe452436 wrote: »
    Username:fe452436
    Weigh in week:2
    Weigh in day:Friday
    Previous week weight:193.5 lbs
    Weight this Week:191.5 lbs

@fe452436. Great result for the week. Well done. Keep doing what you are doing.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    emmclean wrote: »
    Hi team, apologies for radio silence this week, been a pretty full on few days with travel, back to back meetings and a funeral too. Thankfully I've pretty much stayed on track this week with calories and got a decent work out in this evening. Been good to catch up on the conversations I've missed, lots of interesting reading. Let's see how the weigh in goes in the morning!
    emmclean wrote: »
    Username: emmclean
    Week: May Week 2
    Weigh day: Saturday
    Previous week: 197
    Current weight: 195

Glad those 2lbs came off! Thanks for the support @eevang - it's good to be back, hope the sweet cravings aren't too challenging next week :)

@emmclean. Nice to have you back. Well done for staying on track over life's ups, downs and busy sections.

Weeks result shows how staying on track helps. Well done.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    LesIckaBod wrote: »
    Train trip again yesterday, but this time completed without self-sabotage. I packed food for part of the trip, and planned for the salad I would by at the station on the trip home for dinner. Consider it a personal challenge completed!

@LesIckaBod. Fantastic result. It is so easy to self-sabotage (and we all do it at times). Well done for planning ahead.

This is an excellent example of an NSV (non-scale victory). Well done.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    LesIckaBod wrote: »
    craigo3154 wrote: »
    • Track your calories and activity for 3 weeks.
    • Your true daily intake is the AVERAGE of 7 days. (3 days before, the actual day, 3 days after).
    • Track your weight DAILY (same time of day each day).
    • Your true weight can be taken as the average of 7 consecutive days weighing. (3 days before, the actual day, 3 days after - water fluctuations can really mess things up, so the average is essential).
    • Take your starting true weight and subtract your ending true weight.
    • Divide this true weight difference by the number of days recording for (this is the average daily loss).
    • Take your total of true daily intakes over the period and divide by the number of days to give your average total intake.
    • Your tracked TDEE is the average total intake PLUS the average daily loss (in lbs) * 3500.

Your target them becomes your tracked TDEE less 500 * lbs per WEEK targeting to lose.

Wow, thank you for this extensive formula. I finally had time this morning to put together a spreadsheet. The tracked TDEE based on a 3 week span seemed incredibly high to me, but I also had two extremely high calorie days in week 1 of that span, so I recalculated using the most recent 2 week span. The tracked TDEE there was 1863, with target at 1363. That feels closer to right, though the data includes only 13 days because there was one day last week that I didn't track.

I had been using 1400 as my target on MFP. I'm going to keep that for another week, work on tracking more accurately and consistently, and keep looking at the values. Thanks again for this formula!

@LesIckaBod. You are welcome.

Sounds like your 1400 is close enough to easily maintain a good steady weight loss of about 1 lbs a week for you. Your milage (loss rate) will vary as the metabolism slowly adapts, but you can use this to confirm what you are doing in on track.

To me this is type of content that should be taught in high school in health class (or math, or science). It is practical and helps people.

To me it is self evident now, but when I started I could not find anywhere that showed how to do this.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    eevang wrote: »
    Food has been more of a struggle this week. I’ve had some good days mixed in, so it hasn’t been all bad.

However. Today I ate chocolate wafer cookies and donuts. Definitely not my usual. I’m realizing that I can’t allow myself to eat any dessert-like food earlier in the day ever...because I refuse to miss my nightly sweet. For lent I gave up baked goods which was a good thing since I have no will power in that area.

My normal dessert is chilly cow ice cream...it’s a half pint container so I can’t overdue it. Each one is around 170 calories and has higher protein than is normal in ice cream. I strongly recommend chillycow over halo top if you’re considering that sort of thing.

@eevang. I too like my desserts. I have ice-cream or pavlova most nights.

I will forego things in the day just to allow the dessert.

I am a big supporter of "anything in moderation". Have a diet that suits your lifestyle as well as your health goals.

How did the giving up baked goods for lent go? (I worked out for me I am gluten sensitive, so most baked goods do me more harm than good (despite how good they taste)).
This discussion has been closed.