Cathartic Thread For Injured Runners, er support for managing injuries. ;-)

Options

Replies

• hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Well... I think I pulled an Elise and over extended. I thought I was being a good kid and running tonight, and since I didn’t go very far yesterday I figured it would work. But ankle disagreed with that plan. Run aborted, later than I should have because I was trying to avoid running back past some guys who kept trying to talk to me... which also didn’t work. But ankle is still pouting.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @hanlonsk Unfortunately that seems the be the path of healing. Over do it, rest, get back at it, rest, over do it, life sucks...but it'll get better different... Some day.

I'm dying today. And I didn't over do it. Sure as I call for an appointment, it'll get better. I think I have some swelling so I'll try to take all the nsaids I can and drag the cold water circulating thing back out. See if I can't get ahead of this. (Absurd thought as I'm 105 days post op and I'd think it should be nothing by now. But doc still has me on light duty- maybe normal, but I'm over it).

I took the day off. Everyday for the last 2 weeks my first thought waking up is " oh *kitten*. Not work" I just friggin hurt all day. Next week I have two days scheduled off.

No idea if I'll try to bike today. I've kept my mtn bike in the car all week thinking I'll go ride, but it's dang hot and oh, I hurt. Maybe I'll stick with the trainer a bit more.
  • hanlonsk
    Options
    Well, because I’m stubborn, and not very smart, i ran again today. Ankle seemed fine with it. I cut down to run 2min walk 2 min intervals instead of the run 4 min walk 2 min I had been doing, so maybe that is better for form maintenance at my current fitness level? But I made it 2.3 miles, weird weather though.
  • lousoulbody
    lousoulbody Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Elise said it right "the path of the healing" like you, im whooped and can't understand why. Today i took the day off. Tomorrow is Trainer day, i like that.
    Congratulations to hanslonsk on finally having a feel good run.

• Elise4270
    Options
    Everyone hanging in there? Making progress?

I'm off work. Slept in. The spot that is giving me the majority of pain in in the front of my hip, I assumed illiopsoas. But I might be wrong. I this it's the illacus and the place where the tfl inserts at the illiac crest and the sartorius.

So uncomplicated, hip flexor and adductor. (Stupid medial glute is also a pain). I think I need the hands of a PT... I may phone for an earlier visit to see if they will indulge my request...

I chose to try to rub it and do some trigger point release of my own imagination. I think it'll help if I can keep at it. Why is the body so dang needy?

In all this I learned: that early morning stretching breakes the fibrous bands of facia (scar tissue) that form overnight. So, again something I need to add to an early morning routine. But I bet that's why, that stretch you can't resist upon waking, feels so good. (Foam rolling also serves the same purpose- now you know why it needs to be done).
  • Elise4270
    Options
    How's the PT going for everyone? I may need some accountability. Juggling work, running, cycling, never making it to the pool and rarely doing strength PT, I may need to check in more.

Goal. Strength PT 2x weekly. Which includes clamshells, planks and say lunges of some sort.

I should also get up early and stretch, swim or bike. Legit today- lightning meant no pool and I slept terribly last night. I'm so achey and i was so hot last night. Chose sleep. I'll do better tomorrow.
  • lousoulbody
    Options
    Hi Elise how are you feeling today? If you need some accountability, try a check list on the fridge...or check in here. As for morning stretches, they need to be done. I did not do my today 1st thing and i notice all kinds of ouches! I actually lay in bed and do them before my feet hit the floor, so note to myself, get her done DAILY

My PB walk mile is now at 26 min, and i still have a slight limp....time will work its way out im hopeful. :)

Im having my last Personal Trainer session today, and wont continue that because of affordability.

June 1st i want to through my leg over my CVO Street Glide, in the mean time i have been riding hubbies 97 Springer with the side car. This way i dont have to balance the bike but i can shift through the gears to give my foot the motions, its my left foot that i broke.

So 2 small goals, ride my bike by June 1st and a 20 minute walk mile, without the limp!

Cheers all and have a great day!

• lousoulbody
    Options
    I managed a 4 hour job yesterday and on my feet/foot the whole time. I truly needed that nap when i got home and i recoverd quite well. I won't lie its still fragile. I don't get people, they are like doubting my recovery thinking i should be good to go... i get the "really your still limping" and i want to shut them up...seriously pees me off.

Im riding the 97 Springer with the side car, ohh what relief to get out there and ride. I do want to take my CVO off the lift today, and i will have to refrain until June 1st instead like planned ...850lbs is alot to get off the kick stand.

I have hit 2 LesMills BodyCombat classes, sweated large and loved it. With modifications of course.

Cheers all and have a great Memorial weekend!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @mrswhitehog yay! Enjoy the side car!

I'm 4 months post itb surgery, and I get the same thing. I should be better by now. Work is the worst. What do I have to gain by faking and lying? I'm not healed/recovered. The nurse even told me I was running so I should be good. I hadn't run one step at that point. Wiley *kitten*.

Now when asked when I'll be healed, I just say never. This is my life.
  • lousoulbody
    Options
    @Elise4270 Would you say you are progressing with your injury? Recovery is a very long and sometimes lifetime process.

My husband with his Chiari Maliformation struggles daily with pain and headache, ataxia and a host of undesirable ailments. But he pushes through and helps me to find strength in almost everything i do.

I had a friend doom and gloom my injury when i first got it. Saying now im going to feel the rain the humidity and its going to be a nagging ache. Nice and thanks for your opinion doom and gloomer.

• Elise4270
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @mrswhitehog I think I am progressing. It just seems to be so slow. The surgeon said this recovery is much easier the first, which took about 9 months to 90%+ function. Just this last week I've found a little less daily pain.

The whole journey has been good for me. I've learned a lot and I know how to listen to my pain now.
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @mrswhitehog yay! Enjoy the side car!

I'm 4 months post itb surgery, and I get the same thing. I should be better by now. Work is the worst. What do I have to gain by faking and lying? I'm not healed/recovered. The nurse even told me I was running so I should be good. I hadn't run one step at that point. Wiley *kitten*.

Now when asked when I'll be healed, I just say never. This is my life.
    That's the "nurse" at work. :wink:

Your husband sounds amazing with all that support!
  • hanlonsk
    Options
    So... I’ve been moving- well I’m not even sure that is an accurate statement. I am moving my stuff into storage, because I’m not home enough to deal with and pay the crazy people who manage my apartment. So lots of lifting, carrying, stairs, etc. on the last load that I intended to do today... I missed a step or misjudged a step or something. And went tumbling to the bottom, with guess what stupid body part rolled underneath me....
    so...
    I am hoping the darn ankle is just startled and has the bruised pride like the rest of me does... and some ice and ibuprofen will have it back to the current level of normal. But just in case I have the figure 8/nearly immobilize brace packed for this week’s travels... and until then, you can find me in the corner pouting.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @hanlonsk ouch! Hope it's no worse by morning. Glad you didn't break anything :wink:
  • lousoulbody
    Options
    @hanslonsk Its the day after and i hope your ankle injury is nothing to serious, take it easy for the next while & i hope recovery goes quickly!!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    How's everyone doing? Keeping to your exercises and listening to your pain?
    It's so easy to take progress as healed. Until your painfully aware your not.

I pushed a bit much with the long weekend and am just sore. That's okay, muscles need to be pushed. It is nice that my ITB/TFL is no worse.

I had to push my doc appointment up 6 weeks for work documentation. So I won't be where he wanted me when I see him next. Which is able to run 5 minutes/walk 5 minutes for 40 minutes. I think I'm still on track though.

It'll be good to check in and I can ask about my hamstring pain. Even though I'll see the PA. Doc is so busy that I'll probably never see him again. Must be nice to be awesome at what you do :wink:
  • lousoulbody
    Options
    Hi Elise, how is your recovery coming along?

I was away for a few weeks vacationing in Alabama, i hit a bunch of States and had a really great time with my motorcycle glued to my butt! My foot lol is doing well and im ready to start the C25K program again.

Wishing you some good walk/runs, Lou

• Elise4270
    Options
    @mrswhitehog yay! So glad to hear you are healed up and enjoyed your vacation!. I am still strengthening up, but doing good!
  • lousoulbody
    Options
    Hi Elise im likeing your new photo, glad to see you running a race!! Getting stronger everyday i bet you are!!

Im on Week 2 Day 2 of C25K...i feel i could do more but this is the best way to ease back into running with ol footie making and pacing the outcome!!

Cheers to some good runs!!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @mrswhitehog Hey i thought about you today! I saw cheese curds adverised some where locally! Thought about poutine again.

Glad to hear your doing well and getting back on track. I know its easy to over do it. I've chosen to try to exercise daily in small doses. Days off just seem to set me back and i find weight/hunger management much easier. The photo is from a duathlon, i was so not in shape for. But hey, i did it.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    So I don't have a running injury but am I allowed to whine here about how I probably have tendinitis in my right hand aka smartphone thumb?

I have a doctor's appointment in a couple weeks so I will deal with it then. So annoying. And painful!