Tracking Yes
  • susanbenita
    susanbenita Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    weigh-in week 3
    weigh day: Tuesday
    last week: 181.4
    this week: 181.6

We had friends visit for the past week for my birthday so had lots of meals out, etc. Despite not tracking calories all week, I'm relieved to find my weight stayed steady. I did always try to make healthier choices and not overeat. I was also very busy with work so no opportunity for snacking between meals and my steps stayed high.

I'm back to tracking today and back to my normal routine. A big push for this next week as I'd really like to see the 179 number by the end of this month!
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    June 21
    Exercised?: Yes. 9km walk in 75 mins (Harbour Bridge).
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Usual walk again. Slightly quicker. Managed to make 8km inside 1hr.

Well under calories again for the day. Looking forward to being home tomorrow night.

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for June 21 is plank. (standard, forearm or knee) (https://greatist.com/fitness/perfect-plank)

2 sets
    • First set 30 seconds if new to them, 60 seconds if a regular, 90 seconds if can regularly make 60 seconds. , wait 2
    • Second set 15 seconds, 30 seconds or 60 seconds
  • craigo3154
    Options
    Happy weigh in day for: @eevang. @aeloine.
    eevang wrote: »
    @craigo3154 I’ll be out of town this coming Monday but will make sure to weigh in on Thursday when I get back. Just wanted to give you a heads up!

@eevang. Hope you had fun on your out of town trip.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    weigh-in week 3

We had friends visit for the past week for my birthday so had lots of meals out, etc. Despite not tracking calories all week, I'm relieved to find my weight stayed steady. I did always try to make healthier choices and not overeat. I was also very busy with work so no opportunity for snacking between meals and my steps stayed high.

I'm back to tracking today and back to my normal routine. A big push for this next week as I'd really like to see the 179 number by the end of this month!

@susanbenita. Happy birthday for last week. (Sorry I missed catching this earlier).

Well done for keeping things in control during a hectic week by keeping healthier choices and trying not to over-eat. This will keep you in good stead for when you finally get to maintenance.

Best of luck for making 179 next week. Remember diet will do more than exercise. For most people, higher % fat and higher % protein (lower % carbohydrate) tends to promote greater weight loss provided still keeping in calorie budget. Also fat, protein and fibre are the macros that keep you feeling full (less hungry) longer.
  • LesIckaBod
    LesIckaBod Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    June 19
    Exercise: Yes
    Calories: Yes
    Tracked: Yes

June 20:
    Exercise: No
    Calories: No
    Tracked: Yes, afterward

@craig0314 Thanks for the information about negative exercise and push-ups. It's hard to trust that so few push-ups can be effective, and that over all, so little exercise can be effective. However, I've looked through the old Gutbusters threads and seen your progress photos, which definitely suggest strong bona fides! I think I'll be focusing more on the mini challenges and maybe your overall strength routine in July, when we'll be on vacation.

Quick NSV update: I went bike-riding yesterday with my almost 4 year old. He's been riding his own bike without training wheels for over a year, but until yesterday he had needed an adult to stabilize him to get him started. After a couple tries yesterday, he internalized the directions to push down hard on the top pedal to get started, and now he's able to get started from a stationary position all by himself. He even learned how to move a pedal to be in the top position so that he could get it started. I guess this is all his NSV (not that he needs an SV, dude's fit), but my NSV is that the squats and lunges I've done recently propelled me easily up to the top of a hill that last year I huffed and puffed and, ultimately, walked up. So, wins for both of us.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    LesIckaBod wrote: »
    @craig0314 Thanks for the information about negative exercise and push-ups. It's hard to trust that so few push-ups can be effective, and that over all, so little exercise can be effective. However, I've looked through the old Gutbusters threads and seen your progress photos, which definitely suggest strong bona fides! I think I'll be focusing more on the mini challenges and maybe your overall strength routine in July, when we'll be on vacation.

@LesIckaBod. It's hard to believe, but it does work. HIIT (high intensity interval training) does not require long effort, but focused effort with adequate recovery.

When I wanted to do chin-ups on the door frame, when I stared I could not do even 1. I started with door frame rows (HIIT style - rapid, to exhaustion, wait, repeat x 2, rest for a day). After a couple of MONTHS, I could do a 1 chin-up positive and a couple of negatives, (Jump and try to slow the fall back down). I did the positive and 2 negatives as one HIIT set (3 times with rest). Then door frame rows as a HIIT set (to fully fatigue the biceps). This only 3 times a week with at least 1 day between. This only took maybe 2 minutes per HIIT day.

After 4 months I could do 5 chin-up positives.

After 8 months can reliably do 10 chin-up positives.

Dropping weight helped, but the increase in muscle strength was the main factor.

(Chin-ups on the door frame requires strong fingers as there is only 1/2inch purchase area).
  • westray16
    westray16 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    June 21
    Exercise no. 6k steps. Well under my 10k steps target. Had a day being a chauffeur for the daughter. Back on it today though!
    Calories Yes
    Tracking Yes
  • susanbenita
    Options
    June 21
    Exercise: no, was exhausted so had a rest day
    Calories: yes
    Tracked: yes
  • susanbenita
    Options
    craigo3154 wrote: »
    weigh-in week 3

Best of luck for making 179 next week. Remember diet will do more than exercise. For most people, higher % fat and higher % protein (lower % carbohydrate) tends to promote greater weight loss provided still keeping in calorie budget. Also fat, protein and fibre are the macros that keep you feeling full (less hungry) longer.

Thank you @craigo3154
  • alydanbeads
    alydanbeads Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Username: alydanbeads
    Weigh in week: Week 4
    Weigh in day: Friday
    Previous weight: 138.4
    Current weight: 137.8
  • craigo3154
    Options
    June 22
    Exercised?: Yes. 4km walk in 32 mins (North Sydney).
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Walked at lunch before catching flight home. At least this time the airline got my gluten free meal right.

Weekend of drone racing (amongst other things).

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for June 22 is dips ()

3 sets
    • First set till the point where you can do no more, wait 2 mins
    • Second set of 60% of the number you did in the first set (half, then another 10%), wait 2 mins
    • Third set of 50% of the number you did in the first set (half)
  • craigo3154
    Options
    Happy weigh in day for: @fe452436. @typeitdaily.
  • LesIckaBod
    LesIckaBod Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    June 21
    Exercise: Yes
    Calories: Yes
    Tracked: Yes

@craigo3154 Thanks for the additional information about your HIIT training. Did you do HIIT everyday, alternating different muscle groups to provide rest, or did you do full-body routines, alternating days off for complete rest? I've seen some variants of the "7-minute workout" that seem feasible. Here's a recent article with examples: Can't Do the 7 Minute Workout? Neither Can I (NYTimes)

We're driving 1200 miles over next Tuesday and Wednesday and we'll be away from home for a month or more. I'm torn about whether I should bring any of my dumbbells, or whether I should just trust myself to be ok using body weight exercises. We should be outside and walking a ton while we're away, other than the driving portions, but I want to continue to maintain or build strength while we're gone, too.
  • eevang
    eevang Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Username: eevang
    Weigh-in week: Week 4
    Weigh-in day: Monday
    Previous week's weight: 176
    Current weight: 177.4

Went on a cruise...not having the myfitnesspal access was the hardest part! I worked out a bunch but not knowing the calorie content of food was tough.
  • fe452436
    fe452436 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Username:fe452436
    Weigh in week:4
    Weigh in day:Friday
    Previous week's weight:192.5 lbs
    Weight this week:191 lbs
  • fe452436
    fe452436 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I had an appointment with orthopedic surgeon this week.I waited for one and a half month for this appointment for the doctor to refer to physiotherapy specific for herniated disc.Since the pain was not going into legs ,he did not suggest surgery.These operations fail mostly.Few people say that this problem is chronic for them.hope physiotheray helps.
  • emmclean
    emmclean Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Username: emmclean
    Weigh-in week: Week 4
    Weigh-in day: Saturday
    Previous week's weight: 187.8
    Current weight: 184.8

I've slacked on the exercise this week - I fainted on the train home on Monday, it has happened to me exactly once a year since 2014, always in the hot weather, have yet to find other correlations - my weight and fitness are miles better this year so was hoping I'd seen the last of it! The other commuters were amazing and super helpful. I felt a bit wobbly still on Tuesday and have only just about shaken it off, not sure if using as an excuse or just feeling a bit fragile. I know it's put me off posting to the group, so I must get over that!

On the flip side, I have been very much in control of my calories this week - stuck to lime and soda in the pub after work on Friday despite the glorious sunshine and the World Cup! - and am still loving Happy Scale. 3lbs was a pleasant surprise!
This discussion has been closed.