Daily check-in for keto friends... volume 3

Options

Replies

• Re_Banana
    Re_Banana Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    jrmie333 wrote: »
    Good morning,

I am really tired this morning. My baby is nursing a lot during the night. I am hoping that finally moving him from a small crib to a bed crib will help to sleep longer and the process of night weaning as well. My husband is off work this week. We will not be traveling but we will try to sleep more and visit some places in town. Also there is a fake lake about an hour from us that we might go visit on the 5th or 6th. But I am feeling determined because I have lost 1 pant size even though my scale is not really showing it. Let's stay strong.

It sounds like it will be a fun week, lots to look forward too! Keep up that determination, we are all here for you!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Yep, several years now of just meat. I actually just passed the anniversary of my initial trial. I forget how many years it has been. Maybe 4 or 5? A long time. Long enough that I stopped thinking about it.

I posted a blog here where I ate nothing but ground beef for a month. No cheese or anything with it. It isn't exciting, but it is satisfying.
  • Tazzy_ralis
    Tazzy_ralis Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm on day 9 of my keto journey. I noticed today that I have been much less hungry than usual. I usually eat around 400 calories for breakfast and will be feeling hungry by about 11 oclock. Then I'll eat about another 350+ for lunch. Today I haven't felt hungry at all and only had a small 100 calorie snack at lunch. I have, however, been ridiculously thirsty!
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    5 days into doing Keto and surprised by how easy it is. I've had no carb or sugar cravings at all, feel full all the time and have better energy and focus than just a few days ago. I understand that there is something called the Keto Flu but haven't experience it yet, hoping not. I was already a well controlled Type II diabetic on a medium carb plan but this new way of eating made my blood sugars lose an extra 25 points in a very short time. (120 to 95). I know a lot of it is water weight but to see 7 pound disappear in 5 days after being stuck for months was a good validation to keep going. Hope everyone is having a good day!
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    qweck3 wrote: »
    5 days into doing Keto and surprised by how easy it is. I've had no carb or sugar cravings at all, feel full all the time and have better energy and focus than just a few days ago. I understand that there is something called the Keto Flu but haven't experience it yet, hoping not. I was already a well controlled Type II diabetic on a medium carb plan but this new way of eating made my blood sugars lose an extra 25 points in a very short time. (120 to 95). I know a lot of it is water weight but to see 7 pound disappear in 5 days after being stuck for months was a good validation to keep going. Hope everyone is having a good day!

Keto flu entirely avoidable if you keep your salts up maybe you naturally use a lot of salt anyhow, I know I do. I think it's my Italian background! Also @Tazzy_ralis keep up those fluids but also keep up those salts! Well done both for a successful start by the way.
  • PrincesseAly23
    PrincesseAly23 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much @KnitOrMiss ! That’s a big help! The broccoli dinner actually sounds really appealing! I’ll have to give it a try.

Has anyone else noticed mood swings as a side effect of keto? I’ve done some research but only found reference to it in relation to the sugar withdrawal. My sugar withdrawal was 5 weeks ago, So I’m a little confused.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much @KnitOrMiss ! That’s a big help! The broccoli dinner actually sounds really appealing! I’ll have to give it a try.

Has anyone else noticed mood swings as a side effect of keto? I’ve done some research but only found reference to it in relation to the sugar withdrawal. My sugar withdrawal was 5 weeks ago, So I’m a little confused.

@PrincesseAly23

The mood effects can sometimes be serotonin related. When most of us have any kind of compromised gut health, we start to have issues with converting and using our neurotransmitters... Carbs are a quick artificial serotonin boost, so rather than repair our bodies (or even know TO try to repair them!), many of us use the artificial boosts...

If you continue to be moody, it could be the release of estrogen (from stored body fat) throwing your hormonal balance off (it can take a few months to level out, depending on other conditions that contribute to the imbalances), or it could be serotonin/dopamine related...in which case a small amount more carbs (maybe up to 50 total grams of carbs a day with TONS of veggies - or more with activity) might be better for your overall health.

My overall theory about keto is that you should eat as many carbs as you can and still lose weight. Same with calories - the more you can eat and still lose weight is probably your healthiest zone. Don't eat when not hungry, but if hungry, eat what you can...don't force yourself to suffer... And also, eating whole foods, including a good bit of veggies, if they agree with your system (many have issues with the fiber aggravating gut health). If you are eating whole foods, you are far less likely to have issues as from processed grains and added sugars, etc. And remember than hunger naturally rises and falls...

Good luck as you find your way!
  • jrmie333
    jrmie333 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Re_Banana wrote: »
    jrmie333 wrote: »
    Good morning,

I am really tired this morning. My baby is nursing a lot during the night. I am hoping that finally moving him from a small crib to a bed crib will help to sleep longer and the process of night weaning as well. My husband is off work this week. We will not be traveling but we will try to sleep more and visit some places in town. Also there is a fake lake about an hour from us that we might go visit on the 5th or 6th. But I am feeling determined because I have lost 1 pant size even though my scale is not really showing it. Let's stay strong.

It sounds like it will be a fun week, lots to look forward too! Keep up that determination, we are all here for you!

Thank you. We decided to stay in. We have installed the big crib and yes I am sleeping much better with baby most of the 🌙 in his crib. So far I have noticed that I have sensitivities to some dairy products and red curry. Keeping it strong.
  • PrincesseAly23
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss Thank you again! That is really
    Helpful information. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I’ve been away on vacation. Happy to be home now and looking forward to getting back on track....
  • PrincesseAly23
    Options
    I have another question... a friend of mine is also doing keto. Has been on it for 4 months. She’s plateaued for the last 6 weeks. She is working out 4x a week and walks for an hour every day. She’s getting frustrated with the lack of change but I noticed that she doesn’t eat much and is rarely hungry... Is it possible she has plateaued because she isn’t eating enough?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I have another question... a friend of mine is also doing keto. Has been on it for 4 months. She’s plateaued for the last 6 weeks. She is working out 4x a week and walks for an hour every day. She’s getting frustrated with the lack of change but I noticed that she doesn’t eat much and is rarely hungry... Is it possible she has plateaued because she isn’t eating enough?

I personally don't think that eating more is an answer to weight loss. I mean really, look at anorexics and those in the Minnesota Starvation Experiment. On the other hand, I definitely a believer in Thermogenic Adaptation though 4 months is not going to make much of a change IMO. I'll bank on either 1) her body is just playing catch-up...adjusting to the weight loss or 2) the ever popular "she is eating more than she thinks". You're not with her 24/7.

Perhaps it is just my personal perspective. I never dieted publicly with my real world friends so I never said "I'm eating this and losing or not losing". I did however have a habit of being a "secret eater". I ate "normally" around others then pigged out at home when no one was watching. I doubt I'm the only person to ever do that. ;)

Weight loss is a stress to the body and desire to lose weight is a stress to the mind. Perhaps she is one of those people who needs to relax a bit and not push so hard. That doesn't mean over eat. Weight loss takes time. That needs to be accepted and just keep doing the right thing.

Extremely low calories long term never helped anyone either. Again, look at the after math and psyche of those in the Minnesota Starvation Experiment. That part is not so heavily discussed but the information can be found.

• skctilidie
    skctilidie Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    So, massive accidental carb fail here today. Waiting for one of my kids to get done with his camp this afternoon, I was thirsty and thinking that with the high temp outside, a soda sounded really good. Dashed into the grocery store, saw the white label and assumed this was a diet Dr Pepper, considering those have a white label and the next row of drinks over were regular Dr Pepper with the normal brownish wrapper.
    After a couple of sips, I was thinking it seemed awfully sweet, but told myself it was because I haven’t had one in ages...I mean, even my preworkout drink has been seeming really sweet to my taste buds lately, and I knew what I’d grabbed/bought, right? Wrong. It wasn’t until I’d drank almost the whole thing before I finally looked closely enough to realize that it was soooo syrupy sweet because it was a regular soda with a cutesy label that they decided for some reason to make the same color as the label on the diet version. Oops! :grimace:

qi3pb6eg8uu3.jpeg

• shirli2018
    shirli2018 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    On my way to the airport (I’m finally heading home!!!😎) I stopped at a grocery store to grab something to eat for breakfast and lunch to carry me thru the next 12 hours. And I found this little package with everything I wanted
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    shirli2018 wrote: »
    On my way to the airport (I’m finally heading home!!!😎) I stopped at a grocery store to grab something to eat for breakfast and lunch to carry me thru the next 12 hours. And I found this little package with everything I wanted

Nice!
  • PrincesseAly23
    Options
    So I’m doing really well so far, but I’ve decided to start actually logging my food to see how many hidden carbs I’m eating during the day. Up until now I’ve just guesstimated throughout the day because keto was such a radical change in my life that the exact number of carbs ingested didn’t really matter. I could eat up to 50 and still lose!

I’ve lost over 20 lbs now and it is time to got to get my head in the game and not let old habits sabotage me again. (Historically, every time I start to feel/look good I slack off on the dieting and let little cheat meals in. I still have another 45 lbs to lose! I can’t slow down now!)

I was wondering what you have your goals set at on here? I have mine as 5% carbs (25g) and 70% (155g) heathy fat and the rest protein. Does that sound about right?
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    So I’m doing really well so far, but I’ve decided to start actually logging my food to see how many hidden carbs I’m eating during the day. Up until now I’ve just guesstimated throughout the day because keto was such a radical change in my life that the exact number of carbs ingested didn’t really matter. I could eat up to 50 and still lose!

I’ve lost over 20 lbs now and it is time to got to get my head in the game and not let old habits sabotage me again. (Historically, every time I start to feel/look good I slack off on the dieting and let little cheat meals in. I still have another 45 lbs to lose! I can’t slow down now!)

I was wondering what you have your goals set at on here? I have mine as 5% carbs (25g) and 70% (155g) heathy fat and the rest protein. Does that sound about right?

You’re singing my song! I lose 20-30lbs, feel good, get over confident in my ability to do this, slip into old habits, sabotage my efforts, wake up at square one and... repeat. This has been my pattern for years...

Good for you for recognizing where you need to make changes and nipping it in the bud. I’m trying to do the same this time around.
  • Re_Banana
    Re_Banana Posts: 73 Member
    Options

I calculate my macros using this site: https://keto-calculator.ankerl.com

Here are my macros
    Carbs          max 20
    Protein        min 60  max 98
    Fat               max  137

Carbs are a limit, protein is a goal. I don't worry about fat as I am typically well below my max.
This discussion has been closed.