September Monthly Challenge: This September I Will...

Options

Replies

• Heidijens123
    Heidijens123 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    This September I will go to the group fitness classes at the gym every week day. Which means getting up early as with my schedule it's best if I do the early morning (5:15 am) classes.
    The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish my goal : Setting my alarm early enough to get there in time, getting my workout stuff ready the night before. Telling my husband and teen age daughter I'm going then so they can hold me accountable. Also making sure I go to bed early enough the night before.
    How often you’ll be taking these actions (daily is best if possible) every week day as that's when the gym has classes.
    What help do you need from us? Cheer me on, ask if I made it to class or just how was class today?
    What does success look like to you at the end of September? I'm going to put a sticker on the calender every day I go. Sounds cheesy I know but it will give me visual proof that I went. Also hopefully I will notice good changes to my body. And feel better about waking up early.

Day 6 done. Good Hiit workout with a lot of core.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    PinkyPan1 wrote: »
    My daily meditation is awesome. I am sleeping better and feeling better.

Woot! This is great to hear!
  • Heidijens123
    Options
    This September I will go to the group fitness classes at the gym every week day. Which means getting up early as with my schedule it's best if I do the early morning (5:15 am) classes.
    The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish my goal : Setting my alarm early enough to get there in time, getting my workout stuff ready the night before. Telling my husband and teen age daughter I'm going then so they can hold me accountable. Also making sure I go to bed early enough the night before.
    How often you’ll be taking these actions (daily is best if possible) every week day as that's when the gym has classes.
    What help do you need from us? Cheer me on, ask if I made it to class or just how was class today?
    What does success look like to you at the end of September? I'm going to put a sticker on the calender every day I go. Sounds cheesy I know but it will give me visual proof that I went. Also hopefully I will notice good changes to my body. And feel better about waking up early.

Day 7 done. Some weight and core work on the exercise ball. I won't be surprised if my rear hurts lots tomorrow. :)
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    @Heidijens123 ...but it will be a good kind of hurt, right? You’re going strong!
  • Heidijens123
    Options

Day 7 done. Double Step class again. I'm getting better at remembering the steps but I can barley keep up at the end.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I have not done my Calm meditation the last few nights. Got to bed late and husband had TV on and just couldn't concentrate. I am finding that I'm not sleeping as well when I don't do it. So, I know I'm onto a habit that will be good for me and I now realize that I need to MAKE TIME for it!
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Hi @MmamabearR It’s crazy that you would recommend the habitbull app this week. I’ve been struggling with figuring out a system to write down on paper all of the things I want to do and have a way to track my success. I have a daily list, weekly, and monthly and couldn’t quite get the configuration figured out. I looked at the app and it looks like it would be just what I’m looking for. I LOVE statistics and graphs! Especially when someone else creates them for me. I’ll keep checking it out and may download later if I’m convinced it’s right for me. Thanks for the tip.
  • purplicious86
    purplicious86 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    This September I will make small changes to help curb after dinner eating and snacking that just ends in me emotional eating non stop. I will start having a snack after work and making my suppers more protein rich so I'm fuller. Then focus on NOT eating much after dinner and getting sucked into the black hole of eating abyss.

Fantastic goal, @purplicious86! Stopping the late night snacking was my top priority when I lost weight here on MFP in 2011-2012. I lost 50 pounds. I make a concerted effort not to eat junk food or snack when watching TV at night. I will not be resuming that bad habit!

Great choice for a September focus!

It's definitely not easy! How did you go about it? I feel like I don't even notice myself go to the kitchen then come back sometimes! So far it's going okay.

I went cold turkey, @purplicious86. I realized that if I was serious about losing weight two things had to change: I had to give up the late-night junk food snacking and my portion sizes had to shrink. The first week was painful watching my husband sit there eating ice cream and candy. But then I got easier and the cravings subsided.

Stay with it, it’s a worthwhile change!

Thats inspirational! And motivating. Thank you for sharing.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    @MmamabearR Hey there! Nice to see you!

I’m really intrigued by the app also. I’m going to check it out tomorrow. Thanks for the tip!
  • MmamabearR
    MmamabearR Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Awesome @nebslp and @PackerFanInGB! I'm happy to have offered up something useful. So far I like it. It may take at least a week for me to get a good feel for it. I may even add a few more like Meditation or Reading.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,946 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great app, @MmamabearR , I'll check it out. My September challenge is going well - so far, I've done Yoga every day.
  • Heidijens123
    Options

Day 9 done. Circut training at 5:15 am then I took my daughters with me to Yoga at 9.
  • themedalist
    Options

Day 9 done. Circut training at 5:15 am then I took my daughters with me to Yoga at 9.

You are doing great, @Heidijens123! And it’s great that you took your daughters with you to yoga. When kids grow up seeing that their parents exercise, they grow up thinking that exercise is just something you do...like brushing your teeth. And their health will certainly benefit!
  • themedalist
    Options
    Yay!! @MmamabearR is back!! We have missed you and totally understand how life can get pretty chaotic. I’m glad you like our new monthly challenge concept and thanks for recommending the Habitbull app. I will also check it out. Remembering to do the thing we want to make into a habit is critical. Habits are created through repetition. You may want to do it, you may be able to do it, but unless you remember to do it, you won’t do it. Reminders are a critical component of the habits building process.

By the way, October will be all about habits. We’ll be repeating the Tiny Habits program and the Habits 101 (How Habits Work) challenge. For some of us it will be a refresher, but for many of us it will be new. I can’t wait!
  • themedalist
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    Sounds like a great app, @MmamabearR , I'll check it out. My September challenge is going well - so far, I've done Yoga every day.

I’m so happy to hear this, @77tes!
  • Heidijens123
    Options
    So no group classes on the weekend here. So I went on a 71 minute bike ride. First 30 minutes was with my family then the next part I kicked up the intensity and went longer and faster and hit a hill I was avoiding twice! And it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was. Good thing nobody was around as I was cheering myself along out loud. :)
  • Heidijens123
    Options

You are doing great, @Heidijens123! And it’s great that you took your daughters with you to yoga. When kids grow up seeing that their parents exercise, they grow up thinking that exercise is just something you do...like brushing your teeth. And their health will certainly benefit!

Thanks! Yes it is good. And it was their first time doing yoga. My 14 year old actually told me it was way more intense then she thought it was, so it gave her a new appreciation for my efforts in doing yoga.