TEAM: Gutbusters (November)

Options

Replies

• LesIckaBod
    LesIckaBod Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    auntdeb37 wrote: »
    My 10k is tomorrow morning. It's going to be a cold one across the Bay Bridge.

@auntdeb37 Thinking of you on your 10K! I hope the chill feels good!
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    Hello team Gutbusters.

I will be your coach again for this month (when I can - I travel a bit and cannot always check in). My role here is to help motivate, encourage.

I am also moderator for the TBL challenge (but Ashley ( @AB0215. ) has been doing most of the heavy lifting recently with my work travel commitments being insane). I rely heavily on the support of the team captains to make this successful as it is too much for one person to do alone.

Les (@LesIckaBod.) has done an amazing job last couple of months and is continuing as captain for this month. As team captain, Les' primary role is to also help motivate and encourage the team. The captains secondary role is to keep the weight tracking spreadsheet up to date based on people's poset weigh in's. Les has gone from over 212.2lbs to 166.5lbs while in TBL. Lots of experience and worth listening to.

As coach, I am running an optional mini-challenge within the Gutbusters team again this month.

Now an introduction:

I am a happily married 50yo father of one. I live in Melbourne Australia. I am passionate about helping people. Late August last year I passed my minimum goal weight (70kg - down from 91.5kg) and am now trying to maintain without bouncing back too far. I achieved the reduction in 4 months (so 40+ lbs in 4 months). I have kept the weight off for over 12 months now.

As I am now actively trying to NOT lose weight. At BMI 20.6 and less than 8% body fat, it would be crazy (if not dangerous) for me to try lose more weight.

(Why would someone not losing weight want to help run a weight loss challenge? Because it helps so many people and I feel I have so much to share. I learned so much losing weight that I seems a shame to not have it benefit others.).

About the mini-challenge.

First and foremost is that participation in this challenge is optional. It's up to you as to whether you want to try this. (If you take the attitude that "this is not what I signed up for", that is up to you).

I used the principles of this challenge to win July (6.29% - down 10.8 lbs) and August (6.44% - down 10.4 lbs). Following this challenge does work.

The challenge is based on another challenge on MFP called UAC (ultimate accountability challenge). The way UAC works is that the aim is to follow 5 basic rules.
    1. Track EVERYTHING you eat that has calories on MFP.
    2. Stay inside your allocated daily budget.
    3. Do at least 20 minutes of activity a day (anything: walk, run, cycle, swim, gardening, housework, yoga, gym, etc.. As long as it gets you active and off the couch)
    4. 1 pass day permitted per week (went over calories, could not track, not enough exercise, intentional pass)
    5. Check in daily (tracking yes/no, calories yes/no, exercise yes/no).
    End of the week. those who have managed to keep to plan for 6 out of 7 days are recognised in the thread as being part of the weekly "winners circle".

Using this strategy of consistent tracking and minimal exercise I have set a lifestyle plan that should keep me in my target weight range. (has for the last month :) )

I liked this strategy as:
    • No dietary restrictions. (fine for vegan, vegetarian, pescatarian, paleo, carnivore, etc...)
    • Works with whatever strategy you may want to follow. (keto, 5:2, 16:8, atkins, etc..).
    • You set your own daily budget (MFP helps with this).
    • You choose you own exercise and intensity (no step limit, no exercises you cannot or should not do, 20 mins of gardening counts as much as a 10mile run).
    • Is not weight based (as weight fluctuates day by day).
    • Can continue beyond weight loss.

Daily check in keeps you in touch with those doing similar. Longer term weight management is hard to do on your own.

It also has frequent resets (as in a circle each week).

It works on an honor system. Being honest with yourself and others is a key to making things work.

Consistency and new habits have been shown the only long term successful way to change weight. We all want the progress made here to last a lifetime.

You will find out more from me as the weeks go on. I have done A LOT of research into weight loss, diets, health and strength. I will happily share what I have learned with the group.

My commitment to this group is to post my daily results for this accountability tracking (and help out where I can).

So welcome November Gutbusters.

• craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    November 4
    Exercised?: Yes (Drone track setup then walk round Lilydale lake with my wife).
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Practice today. Good weather. Still learning lots.

Went for a walk with my wife today round a nearby lake. Great to get out and enjoy the company and the sunshine. First circuit of the lake (2.5km) was with my wife (as her pace 10.5 mins per km), second solo at my pace (7.5mins per km).

Well under calories today.
  • LesIckaBod
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    LesIckaBod wrote: »
    November 3
    Exercise: Yes (30 min on treadmill, 24 of which was jogging, a nice distance for me)
    Calories: *&&% Halloween candy.
    Tracked: No

I'm not behaving very captainly at the moment. For all my meals, I stuck to meals that I've tracked in the past and know will keep me within my calorie targets. The problem is, I also got into the Halloween candy. Oy.

And I am blindly following in your footsteps. :s I didn't even have Halloween candy around til I went to Walmart the day after and picked up a huge bag, half off. Huge mistake with the dreary rainy weather, still no answers about hubby's heart issues and a pup that lacerated his leg jumping over a log while I was hiking yesterday making a trip to the vet mandatory. The candy was darn good. Back on board tomorrow. I'll have to resort to the dreadmill because (1) it's going to be snowing and (2) doggy can't go hiking for awhile. Ah life, sure gets in the way of plans.

@rocknut53 Oh no! We're going to need to find a new trail - following my footsteps is not ideal! Back on board myself as of dinnertime last night. My boys have been organizing their candy again and again, so I think we're reaching the point where any unsanctioned grown-up theft of their candy will be noticed and commented upon! That makes it easier for me to avoid it. And they're not addicted to it like I was, and they're good about sharing it, so hopefully it will be out of our lives (or managed) soon enough.

Yep, life gets in the way of plans -- but isn't it nice to have a dreadmill just for these times? (Looking for the bright side).
  • LesIckaBod
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Today begins the first day of posting the November Week 1 weigh-ins. I'll do my best to leave a message here sometime during the day to tag the people who should post weigh-ins. So, for today:

Happy Weigh-In day for:
    @Wishfulthinning18 - Welcome back!
    @DJDommy - Welcome!!

For those of you who are new to the group, here are some weigh-in FAQs:
    • When do I post my weigh-in?
      Post on your "scheduled weigh-in day". So, if you posted a weight in the New Member Registration thread on a Tuesday, then your scheduled weigh-in day will be each Tuesday of the month.
    • Why is Week 1 beginning today? Haven't we been doing this for a week already?
      Think of it like a first birthday. You're born, then you have to live a whole year before you can celebrate being 1. In this challenge, you post a starting weight, then you have a whole week to work on weight loss before you post your Week 1 weigh-in.
    • How do I post my weigh-in?
      Your posts should look like this:
      Username:
      Week: November Week 1
      PW: Previous Weight in lbs
      CW: Current Weight in lbs
    • What's my previous weight?
      If you're new, your Week 1 previous weight is whatever weight you posted in the New Member Registration thread. If you're returning, your Week 1 previous weight is whatever your weight was in the last week of the previous month.
    • I'm still confused. Who can help me?
      Just ask a question here and tag me, or PM me and I'll do my best to get back as soon as possible.
  • DJDommy
    DJDommy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Username: DJDommy
    Week: November Week 1
    PW: 159
    CW: 153

I'm not going to lie I'm a little embarrassed about my PW vs my CW as I'm not sure what fluids/stress my body was carrying previously. I expect and hope next week is better (as in not seemingly so much). I weighed myself first thing in the morning and it said 151 and I didn't like that so I ate breakfast, drank my 8oz coffee and drank 12oz and weighed again. My plan is always AM weigh ins because after my Sunday weigh in I want a cheat meal after being so good all week 😂😛😋
  • auntdeb37
    auntdeb37 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    November 4
    Exercised: yes 10k
    Calories: yes
    Tracked: yes
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    WishfulThinning18
    Sunday
    Previous 289.8
    Current 294.3

SIGH....

This past week I went off on a bender. I ate out everyday... had an unknown amount of halloween candy. Whenever I hit the 280's it's like I self sabotage my weight loss. Back on track today so far. Grocery store later to make sure I'm prepared for the week as far as food. Hopefully it's just a lot of bloat and it'll come off fairly easy and then some. So disappointed in myself. First time since starting July 18th that I have done something like this.

Let's not beat ourselves up over this (yep, you're not the only one!). Tomorrow is a new day, move forward and don't look back. And if that candy is still around, throw that *kitten* away. I know it's wasteful, but better than being tempted by it.
  • dalerichardson2011
    Options
    Hey all!

It's my first post here and I'm looking forward to seeing some long lasting results similar to the inspirational ones further up the thread.

I have a feeling the community effect and posting each day wheter or not you stuck to everything will certainly help create new positive daily habits.

Nov 4th
    Exercise: 20min jog
  • hooversgurl
    hooversgurl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Username: hooversgurl
    Weigh in week: Nov wk1
    Weigh in day: Sunday
    Previous Week's weight:168
    Todays Weight: 167

I did very little exercise this week. That will be my focus tia week!
  • TomatoeLady
    TomatoeLady Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    exercised: yes 30min stationary bike
    Tracked: yes :smile:
  • Colleen790
    Colleen790 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    November 5
    Exercise Yes 35 mins treadmill
    Calories. Yes
    Tracked. Yes
  • dommylifts
    dommylifts Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I had to create a different account. I was formerly DJDommy, I am now Dommylifts. Email issues. ☺️
  • dommylifts
    dommylifts Posts: 96 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    November 4
    Exercised?: no. Sunday’s are cheat days and cleaning days, unless cleaning counts as exercise
    Calories?: No. I cheat. I consumed over 2,000 calories. Pizza was my cheat meal! Along with the other foods I ate.
    Tracked?: Yes.
  • dalerichardson2011
    Options
    Nov 5th
    Exercise: yes, 30mins spining
This discussion has been closed.