Tracking: YES
    Calories: YES
    EXERCISE... YES!
  • LesIckaBod
    LesIckaBod Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    LesIckaBod wrote: »
    12sarah2015
    Cw:137.3 (still trying to find my pw, maybe I forgot to check in last week?)

@12Sarah2015 We have you as a Wednesday weigher, with your PW for last week 136.7. Are you still planning to be a WEdnesday weigher?

Yes I still plan to be Wednesday (Australian time)

Aha, the time zone was why I was confused. It helps if everyone uses a standard format. Next time, please use this format:

@12Sarah2015
    Nov Week 2
    CW:
    PW: 137.3
  • LesIckaBod
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    November 7
    Exercise: no
    Calories: no
    Tracked: no
    Totally off the rails today. Hubby had an angiogram that shows he has "subclavial steal syndrome" meaning his subclavial artery (where he already has a stent) is blocked or partially blocked which results in blood being routed (stolen) from the arteries supplying his brain to the areas being starved for blood. We'll know more in a day or so what treatment/surgeries will be required to fix this. I know, this is not an excuse to overeat, but I am. If I were a drinker I'd probably drown my stress in vodka.

@Rocknut53 <Hugs>

I think one of the reasons eating is such an appealing stress-reliever is that you can do it at the same time as you're doing something else. Reading up on potential surgical complications on the computer and worrying? Have a bag of chips while you do! And a bucket of soda!

I wanted to suggest doing something else to try to distract yourself from the worry -- Tai Chi indoors, for the mindfulness practice? But then I remembered that problem about eating, and how sometimes, we do it just to distract or relieve ourselves from a stress we have to be facing right at that moment. Like thinking about surgery for a loved one, and popping chocolates to face it.

Maybe come here and post something instead? It's quick - and maybe sharing your worry will help give some of the relief that eating does?

Just want you to know that I'm thinking of you and feel for your as you're going through this. I wish I had magic words to say to make at least the overeating aspect of your current worries go away. Just, hugs again.
  • LesIckaBod
    Options
    fe452436 wrote: »
    Username:fe452436
    Tracking:Yes
    Calories: Yes
    Exercise:Yes

Looks like it was a good day, @fe452436 ! How are you feeling these days?
  • LesIckaBod
    Options
    jm216 wrote: »
    Feeling good!
    Jm2167
    Tracking: YES
    Calories: YES
    EXERCISE... YES!

Yeah!!
  • LesIckaBod
    Options
    It's Thursday! Time to find out how Nov. Week 1 went for our Thursday weighers:

@cjscoey
    @Colleen790 - gotcha, a nice little step forward this week!
    @Grebber1
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    November 8
    Exercised?: Yes (5km in 39 mins - hills).
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Work from home again today.

Not much else to report.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    November 7
    Exercise: no
    Calories: no
    Tracked: no
    Totally off the rails today. Hubby had an angiogram that shows he has "subclavial steal syndrome" meaning his subclavial artery (where he already has a stent) is blocked or partially blocked which results in blood being routed (stolen) from the arteries supplying his brain to the areas being starved for blood. We'll know more in a day or so what treatment/surgeries will be required to fix this. I know, this is not an excuse to overeat, but I am. If I were a drinker I'd probably drown my stress in vodka.

@Rocknut53. Sounds like you are having it rough at the moment. Hopefully they can find some good way to help your hubby.

As well as caring for hubby, you must also care for you.

A lot of your upbringing may be to console yourself with comfort food, but there must be other soothing things you have done in the past. Listen to music, read a favorite book, watch a favorite film, visit friends, talk to a girlfriend over coffee, etc...

Most stress relievers are things you would NOT normally do in a fight or flight type situation. This de-programs the brain to think you are no longer in danger. This helps you relax and focus on what is ahead.

Also try track (even if you know the results will be bad). Just by knowing you are going to track something, you are likely to think about what you are doing.

Lastly, be gentle on yourself for over-eating. It's probably what you have been taught to do since childhood and have not been skilled in other methods. Until you can de-program this automatic habit it will continue as it is part of who you currently are. Reward yourself when you attempt to do the right things. Reward yourself even for recognising when you are under stress and trying to think of doing something that is not an automatic reaction.

Between stimulus and response is choice. If in a situation that you would normally react to and you pause for just a second to think of what to do. That enough is worthy of reward.
  • Colleen790
    Colleen790 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    November 8
    Exercised. No
    Calories. Yes
    Tracked. Yes
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    @craigo3154 & @LeslckaBod Thank you for your support and kind words. It does make a difference and I hope to face today with a different mindset. It hasn't helped that winter has arrived full force this week with snow and cold, icy roads, making it unappealing to hike, my usual "go to" stress reliever, even in winter. Making the transition from dirt trails to snow gear and ice cleats/snow shoes is always difficult. I've done this before, I will do it again. Setting a good example for my husband has been a good motivation and I need to remember that. I never really realized how clueless he actually is about nutrition and exercise. I mistakenly thought he would learn by watching me, but I know now I have to make an effort help him make good choices without sounding too demanding.
  • ShareASmile
    ShareASmile Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    LesIckaBod wrote: »
    @auntdeb37, @beachbunnydana, @tamyka105

Wow, I'm impressed to see you three all posting weights today! You're actually a week ahead of the game! That's because this Challenge gives you at least a week between your sign-up starting weight and your first official weigh-in -- kind of like that first weigh-in is your first "birthday", celebrating a week with the group.

So, our first week for November weigh-ins will begin Sunday, Nov 4. What that means is, since you are Saturday weighers, your November Week 1 weigh-in will be for Nov 10. Think of all that bonus time between now and then to make even more progress on your weight loss goals!

Thanks, Les! Sorry about the mix-up but am glad to have an additional period to lose some more weight (hopefully)! :)
  • edising
    edising Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Name: edising
    Weigh in week: 1
    Weigh in day: Wednesday
    Previous weight: 196.7
    This week weight: 199.4

OK, I knew it would be bad . . . . . At a Leadership Retreat for 5 days where the food and drink was plentiful and the personal time was limited. Only managed to exercise one day. I obviously didn't follow my plan. But that is behind me, now looking forward . . . .
  • dalerichardson2011
    Options
    Nov 8th
    Exercise: yes - 30min spin at lunch and 5 aside footie at night
    Calories: yes
    Tracked: yes
  • Bendiz_
    Bendiz_ Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Username: Bendiz_
    Weigh in Week: 1
    Weigh in Day: Wednesday
    Previous weight: 162.4
    Today's weight: 163.0

Ouch! A small bump up this week. Sorry about the late weigh-in! :(

• dommylifts
    dommylifts Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Nov 8th
    Exercise: Yes. Rowing, kettlebells and a plank tabata (my new favorite thing)
    Calories: Below my calorie limit today.
    Tracked: Tracked and weighed.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    November 8
    Exercise: yes, shoveled snow
    Calories: yes
    Tracked:
  • craigo3154
    Options
    @craigo3154 & @LeslckaBod Thank you for your support and kind words. It does make a difference and I hope to face today with a different mindset. It hasn't helped that winter has arrived full force this week with snow and cold, icy roads, making it unappealing to hike, my usual "go to" stress reliever, even in winter. Making the transition from dirt trails to snow gear and ice cleats/snow shoes is always difficult. I've done this before, I will do it again. Setting a good example for my husband has been a good motivation and I need to remember that. I never really realized how clueless he actually is about nutrition and exercise. I mistakenly thought he would learn by watching me, but I know now I have to make an effort help him make good choices without sounding too demanding.

@Rocknut53. The hardest part is having your husband WANT to change. It does not matter ho much you want it for him, HE must want it. Hopefully the "subclavial steal syndrome" provides enough of a wake up call to get him to want to try to change.

One thing you can do, if you largely control the meal plans in the house, is you can subtly start changing his overall diet. However, do not tell him you are doing this (and also no big changes).

A possible change may be to propose no eating between meals. As such promise to have better meals to compensate. (Incidentally, this is how my change started. After two weeks of this one small change I could see and feel the benefits).

I had been at goal weight for over 9 months before my wife made her decision to try again to lose weight. Her primary goal was to reverse the diabetes though. The change this time is that I had been through a similar exercise and knew the types of changes to make. I could support this time far better than I ever could before.

Because my wife now has the right method, mindset and support, this attempt has been FAR easier and more successful than any previous attempts (Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Atkins, etc...). She KNEW what it would take to work, but before now was unprepared to make the shift.

This time, for her, it is not a diet, but a lifestyle change. All behavioural and diet changes must be able to be maintained for the rest of her life. This is not something that will finish. As such, the mindset to any change is "can I live with this" instead of "how long till I can stop". If anything is too hard, it is dropped. There is also an attitude of forgiveness to any perceived mistakes. (No more beating self up for being "bad"). Mistakes become a blame free learning experience.

Oddly enough, this time as well as being the most successful is also much cheaper than any previous attempt too. :)

• caitlynns727
    caitlynns727 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    November 8
    Exercise: Yes, W4D1 run and two volleyball games
    Calories: Yes
    Tracked: Yes
This discussion has been closed.