TEAM: Gutbusters (November)

Options

Replies

• LesIckaBod
    LesIckaBod Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Last night, I saw an article about a study that looked at techniques people could use to stay on track with their exercise through the fall into November, which here in the northern hemisphere can be a tough, dark, chilly slog of a month when motivation really starts to wane.

They took inactive but healthy people, and gave them activity trackers and put them in three groups:
    1. the control - did nothing new
    2. exercise - they were directed to walk or jog a certain amount of time on their own, plus join a group workout once a week
    3. meditation - practiced "body scans and mindful walking" and "quiet, seated meditations" ; also did one weekly group workout

And at the end, apparently the control group got less active over time. As the fall wore on, they were moving about 18 minutes less per day than they had been at the beginning of the study.

The other two groups moved less too, but their reduction was only 6 minutes less per day. So, that means that both being in the exercise group AND the meditation group helped keep people moving more, even when the late fall demotivation slog was underway!

Question
    Do any of you do any meditation or mindfulness activities as part of your overall wellness plan? If so, what have been the benefits for you?
  • jm216
    jm216 Posts: 3,736 Member
    Options
    inshapeCK wrote: »
    I've been MIA as my dad had another serious health episode when he was out with me followed by over 7 hours at the emergency room and then I was staying with him. I did weigh in on Wednesday but didn't get on here to post my weight.

Username: inshapeCK
    Weigh in week: 1
    Weigh in day: Wednesday
    Previous Week's weight:144.5 pounds
    Todays Weight: 143.6 pounds

ACHIEVED A NEW LOWEST WEIGHT FOR THIS TIME ROUND ON MY WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY.
    DOWN 26.5 POUNDS FROM MY HIGHEST WEIGHT.

So sorry about your dad. We hope he’s on the road to recovery.
  • jm216
    jm216 Posts: 3,736 Member
    Options

November 9
    Username:JM216
    Tracking:No
    Calories:No
    Exercise:Yes... college visit with my son, and we definitely got our steps in!

This is Roxie on this morning’s walk <3
  • dalerichardson2011
    dalerichardson2011 Posts: 8 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    LesIckaBod wrote: »
    It's Saturday, and the last day of Week 1 for November. Today I'm looking for weights from:

@auntdeb37
    @beachbunnydana
    @emmclean
    @ShareASmile
    @tamyka105

And I have a few blanks spots in the spreadsheet from earlier this week, too. If I missed you earlier, please tag me here with a little reminder post! Here's who I'm looking for:

@90kgtoNewMe
    @akaSaraNoH
    @CDiddyGetsFitty
    @cjscoey
    @dalerichardson2011
    @lacatgirl
    @vickibublitz5

Posted mine up before you mentioned you needed my weigh in :)
  • dommylifts
    dommylifts Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    dommylifts wrote: »

@dommylifts Sounds like a nice workout! Regarding your loss, I think about 1% loss per week is considered good, so for you about 1.5 lbs would be right on target. Keep up the protein to help maintain/grow the muscle. Do you have a trainer or are you following some kind of strength training plan in particular?

@LesIckaBod I did Crossfit for about 3.5 years before finally moving to a different gym (more cost effective). I’m pretty proficient at all of the lifts and movements. I do not have a personal trainer nor do I follow any real programming. I tend to do lower body mon/fri, upper body tues/thurs. with rest on all other days from lifting. I do cardio almost daily. Just depends on what I feel like doing. I enjoy lifting heavy weights though! It’s fun to push my strength, form, and skill. Thanks for responding to me! One of the reasons I joined this group was the interaction and accountability. I love it so far!
  • dommylifts
    dommylifts Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am not good at properly responding to comments though, I don’t quite understand how to do things in forums yet. Still learning.
  • auntdeb37
    auntdeb37 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    November 10
    Username: auntdeb37
    Weigh in Day: Saturday
    Weigh in Week 1
    Previous Week Weight: 277.6
    Today Weight: 279.2
  • ShareASmile
    ShareASmile Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Username: ShareASmile
    Weigh in Week 1
    Previous Weight: 159.6
    Current Weight: 159
  • cjscoey
    cjscoey Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Name: cjscoey
    Weigh in day: Friday - please change me
    Previous weight: 172
    This week weight: 172

All Halloween candy has been removed from the house - that should help for next week!
  • beachbunnydana
    beachbunnydana Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Username: beachbunnydana
    Weigh in day: Saturday
    Previous weight: 202.4
    Current weight: 199.3
  • caitlynns727
    caitlynns727 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    November 10
    Exercise: Yes - 2 minutes run and 9 round
    Tracked: Yes
    Calories: Yes
  • auntdeb37
    auntdeb37 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    November 10
    Exercise: Yes
    Tracked: Yes
    Calories: no
  • Colleen790
    Colleen790 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    November 11
    Exercise. No
    Calories. No
    Tracked. Yes
  • LesIckaBod
    Options
    It's Saturday, and the last day of Week 1 for November. Today I'm looking for weights from:

@auntdeb37
    @beachbunnydana
    @emmclean
    @ShareASmile
    @tamyka105

And I have a few blanks spots in the spreadsheet from earlier this week, too. If I missed you earlier, please tag me here with a little reminder post! Here's who I'm looking for:

@90kgtoNewMe
    @akaSaraNoH
    @CDiddyGetsFitty
    @cjscoey
    @dalerichardson2011
    @lacatgirl
    @vickibublitz5

Posted mine up before you mentioned you needed my weigh in :)

@dalerichardson2011 Can you repost it for me? I searched for your name, but for some reason I don't see the post. I look for the weigh-ins to be posted using this template:

@dalerichardson2011
    November Week 1
    PW:
    CW:

Thank you!
  • LesIckaBod
    Options
    dommylifts wrote: »
    I am not good at properly responding to comments though, I don’t quite understand how to do things in forums yet. Still learning.

@dommylifts After you quote a message, make sure you start typing after the "[/quote]" -- that way, your words will not appear in the gray quote box. If it's within an hour of posting your message, you can also click the gear icon in the top right corner of your post to go back and edit it if you see that the formatting is off.
  • LesIckaBod
    Options
    auntdeb37 wrote: »
    November 10
    Username: auntdeb37
    Weigh in Week 1
    Previous Week Weight: 277.6
    Today Weight: 279.2

@auntdeb37 Our spreadsheet has your previous weight as 280.8 -- is that right?
  • LesIckaBod
    Options
    Good work, Gutbusters! We had several people lose >1% this week, which is great progress. We'll have the full results to share with you by Monday.

In the meantime, Week 2 has begun! This morning, I"m looking for weights from:

@Dommylifts
    @WishfulThinning18
This discussion has been closed.