26 hour 20 min virtual relay run for Dennis

Options
123457»

Replies

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Pasting this here from the monthly thread so it will be easier to find the strava link in the future:
    Let's try this on Strava:

Miles for Dennis
    https://strava.com/athletes/milesfor_dennis If the link doesn't work, just search for him. "Miles for" is the first name, "Dennis" is the last name ;)

Once you're connected as followers, tag him on the run you dedicated to him (under "edit activity". That's the "add a friend who didn't log" option.) Once we get the notification, one of the administrators can save it as a Dennis run. When we have everyone's runs logged, someone who is good at the fun mapping tools can come up with some visualizations for us :) This will work for the marathons people are doing in the future as well.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Some cool stuff here! I've been working on documenting the Dennis run on Strava... Since I was time-zone shifting it anyway, I moved @juliet3455 ahead a day while I was at it. Then I realized... both @shanaber and @rheddmobile did their runs early, on Saturday, but their runs lined up with each other and @Orphia's start - so I believe the relay actually started at 1730 instead of 2000 GMT :) and went until 2300 the next day!

I made manual entries for those I didn't have Strava runs for, but if someone else has a gpx file or run on Strava, feel free to send it my way. You can add "Miles for Dennis" on Strava, then tag him in your run that you dedicated to him. NOTE: You can do this for the marathons you're dedicating to him later as well. If I entered your run manually, don't be offended if it takes up your entire signed-up slot - I had distances for most of you, but not the time you spent running, so just entered what you were signed up for. The only 2 people I couldn't find run info on in the threads were @ctlaws44 and @rusgolden - did either of you run during the relay?

Question: what apps do you use to visualize this sort of thing? I have a list of activities on Strava now, all in the same time zone (whew!); some have maps, others don't. Ideas???

I posted this in the Monthly Challenge thread. Great running, everyone!!!!
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    @polskagirl01 @_nikkiwolf_ ... I followed the Miles for Dennis on Strava but I think I need a follow back to tag it.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Some cool stuff here! I've been working on documenting the Dennis run on Strava... Since I was time-zone shifting it anyway, I moved @juliet3455 ahead a day while I was at it. Then I realized... both @shanaber and @rheddmobile did their runs early, on Saturday, but their runs lined up with each other and @Orphia's start - so I believe the relay actually started at 1730 instead of 2000 GMT :) and went until 2300 the next day!

I made manual entries for those I didn't have Strava runs for, but if someone else has a gpx file or run on Strava, feel free to send it my way. You can add "Miles for Dennis" on Strava, then tag him in your run that you dedicated to him. NOTE: You can do this for the marathons you're dedicating to him later as well. If I entered your run manually, don't be offended if it takes up your entire signed-up slot - I had distances for most of you, but not the time you spent running, so just entered what you were signed up for. The only 2 people I couldn't find run info on in the threads were @ctlaws44 and @rusgolden - did either of you run during the relay?

Question: what apps do you use to visualize this sort of thing? I have a list of activities on Strava now, all in the same time zone (whew!); some have maps, others don't. Ideas???

I posted this in the Monthly Challenge thread. Great running, everyone!!!!

Fantastic!! Well done.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    I've played around with some visualization apps, and haven't really come up with anything I'm crazy about. Worldwide maps make us look like tiny dots, Flyby with all the runs put together could be zoomed in, but you had to automatically follow the track (not easy when it jumped between continents). I also only have maps for some of the runs, meaning that a number of people are left out however I visualize it. So I'll just present this... 9ylfbrpz13oz.png
    as a reminder of that thing we did to remember one of ours <3

Edit: I meant "manually", not sure how I put in "automatically". Like you had to click the arrows to move the map yourself while it was playing, instead of it automatically following the path as Dennis moved from place to place.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I've played around with some visualization apps, and haven't really come up with anything I'm crazy about. Worldwide maps make us look like tiny dots, Flyby with all the runs put together could be zoomed in, but you had to automatically follow the track (not easy when it jumped between continents). I also only have maps for some of the runs, meaning that a number of people are left out however I visualize it. So I'll just present this... 9ylfbrpz13oz.png
    as a reminder of that thing we did to remember one of ours <3

I see mine! 3rd row, 2nd from the right.

Thanks very much, @polskagirl01 !!