November 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent That is hilarious. What a great idea! It would work here because guns are rare, though you may get arrested for the effort.

A single gunshot is surprising hard to track down by sound alone.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    On run walk... I always thought that people used that to transition from unable to run, to running. As in you run a little, walk a little, then slowly increase how much running you do until you no longer need walk brakes.

But sounds like some of you are implying that people do the run-walk instead of running for the long term? Is that right?
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    On run walk... I always thought that people used that to transition from unable to run, to running. As in you run a little, walk a little, then slowly increase how much running you do until you no longer need walk brakes.

But sounds like some of you are implying that people do the run-walk instead of running for the long term? Is that right?

Yes, that's what they do. There's usually a set interval, time or distance (walk for 1 minute at every mile marker, or run 8 walk 2 etc). Apparently it works great for some people. I haven't tried it.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    @ContraryMaryMary You have a Garmin that prescribes rest? That's it, I NEED a Garmin lol.
    @garygse :-D I so know what you mean, some random person who actually seems to run (as opposed to my shuffle) seems to possess my body when I race too. I'm just praying the random person has what it takes to keep going for 13.1 miles!

I missed the beginning of month question. What have I done for my tomorrow self? Pretty much changed her entirely since the beginning of 2017: I quit smoking, lost 28 kilos and started running. Not only has my body changed, my mindset has completely changed too. I went from a doormat people walked all over who spent most of her time in tears to some sort of confident person who takes no chit from anyone and goes for what she wants. Sadly for anyone who doesn't like me this means a) I'm probably going to be around for a lot longer than I would have been if I'd carried on living as I was, and b) I'm far more likely to argue with them :-)

7km run this morning, I still can't get over the fact that what just 3 months ago was a considerably long run (and also caused me shin splints the first couple of times I went that far!) is now just a run of the mill training run. It's cool enough here now in the mornings that my fingers actually felt numb for the first 20 minutes or so and I didn't even break into a sweat until kilometre 6. Should probably have taken a jacket out with me, but I hate having to carry stuff when I'm running and I already cart my phone and a bottle of water along with me. Was nice once I got into the sun though.

2/11: 7km
    4/11: 11km
    6/11: 7km
    November goal: 125km. Completed so far: 25km

@eleanorhawkins I feel like the last two years for us have been very similar. I two used to have low confidence, who had anxiety any time her boss wanted to talk to her. I had counselling at the beginning of 2017 and am now badass! I lost 20kg in 2017 and kept it off in 2018 - though I'd still like to lose another 5, I'm not stressed about it. I didn't have the smoking issue but am totally with you on the running. 5k is a short "stretch the legs" distance. I don't feel truly challenging until it's over 10k. Reading your posts I feel like your twin lol. Just on the opposite side of the world, literally haha
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Yes, that's what they do. There's usually a set interval, time or distance (walk for 1 minute at every mile marker, or run 8 walk 2 etc). Apparently it works great for some people. I haven't tried it.

Sounds way to complicated for me to try. :neutral:
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    On run/walk I just can't do it. I find after walking a bit getting back into the running is harder than just running through. Though I've practiced "walking" for drink stops.

Today was supposed to be a 13k run but my legs are really tired after Sunday, so I decided a rest day is best. Hubby actually gave my calves a deep massage last night! Heaven! Tomorrow I'll do a short sharp 5k, then 13k on Friday. No running over the weekend, then last week of training before the Half. I get the idea of a taper now. I think part of me is still sore from the 20k I did a week ago!

Oh and I'm pretty sure I've caught the kids mild cold. Fortunately it appears to be very mild.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Sounds way to complicated for me to try. :neutral:

Do not get me wrong, if that is what works best for you, do it! This is a very personizable (yes spellcheck that is a word. I should know, I just made it up) sport! :D
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    @PastorVincent That is hilarious. What a great idea! It would work here because guns are rare, though you may get arrested for the effort.

A single gunshot is surprising hard to track down by sound alone.

Just ask a sniper....

On tracking down a single gunshot, the Minneapolis police department uses this still, at least they did. http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/public/@council/documents/webcontent/convert_279035.pdf

...and on the tannerite, I am surrounded* by about a thousand acres of hunting land. Long rifle deer season just started. Wouldn't phase my household a bit, others probably, but like I said previously, not in my neck of the woods.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »
    Do any of you do the Galloway run-walk method on long runs/races?
    @lkpducky I don't as a general routine but there are 3 4 ladies in our little club who employ that concept on their training runs and have finished with mid pack times or better at everything from 10k to 50k ultra's. I did a 21 km training run with them a few years ago and we ended up with a time that was within 2-3 minutes of my PB for the HM distance.
    So I want to start racing next year (with a max distance of 10km in mind) how do I find races in my area? I'm in Cranbrook, BC, and every other race seems to be in Vancouver. Any tips on finding local races?

@bubblegum2fitness I also live in a small town ( Peace River, AB many hours north of you ) so am familiar with the necessity to travel - minimum 2 hours for me. I did find these two sites that list a few events in your area. I would do a FB search inquiry in your local community and I know that most sporting stores/running stores will have an events page. Fernie, Banff, Invermere, all have events.

http://www.runnerssole.com/bc-races.htm
    http://www.bcracereview.com/southeast---kootenays.html
    https://www.kootenayrockies.com/post/trail-events
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    google gave me this for canadian races
    idk know how helpful it is since my canadian geography is poor other than what i've learned from Due South
    @mbaker566 Thats a good link - just have to put in your community name and it filters for you

• PastorVincent
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    On run/walk I just can't do it. I find after walking a bit getting back into the running is harder than just running through. Though I've practiced "walking" for drink stops.

Oh, in longer races (Marathon, 50k, etc) I always walk the drink stations. The few seconds lost there is more than made up for by getting the proper liquids in the proper places :) Plus considering how many people STOP COLD walking feels safer. :smiley:

For a 5k or even a 10k, I only hit a drink station if something is wrong. Anything in the middle depends on the weather/etc.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @bubblegum2fitness

http://kootenaysufferfest.com

I did one of their races this summer (New Denver) and it was great. They also promote other area events if you follow them on social media.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    OK so people keep talking about keeping their heart rate under control, and in proper zones etc. Should I be worried? pretty much every run I do my HR is about 50% in zone 5, then about 40% zone 4 and the rest spread over the last 3 zones. I never looked because I don't care. Just looking at my 20k run I was the above. though sometime I'm more in zone 4 than 5. my max is around 175-180 with my average closer to 165 (slowly coming down) and again I don't actually care. should I?

I'm kinda of the opinion of hey its working for me, don't let it worry you... oh my VO2 max is 44. went briefly up to 45 but am now a steady 44. I'm pretty stoked with that haha
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    OK so people keep talking about keeping their heart rate under control, and in proper zones etc. Should I be worried? pretty much every run I do my HR is about 50% in zone 5, then about 40% zone 4 and the rest spread over the last 3 zones. I never looked because I don't care. Just looking at my 20k run I was the above. though sometime I'm more in zone 4 than 5. my max is around 175-180 with my average closer to 165 (slowly coming down) and again I don't actually care. should I?

I'm kinda of the opinion of hey its working for me, don't let it worry you... oh my VO2 max is 44. went briefly up to 45 but am now a steady 44. I'm pretty stoked with that haha

I don't pay attention to the zones, as I'm pretty sure the app/watch-calculated zones aren't correct for me. I go more by paying attention to my breathing and how I am feeling.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options

I never paid attention until I read 80/20 by Matt Fitzgerald.

Then I got obsessed.

And now I pay attention but don't obsess. I think it's good to know HR training and make sure you include easy and hard runs but I don't pay a ton of attention and go by feel more (especially in summer) because I'd be walking for most easy and all recovery.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

So, here is the deal. IF you calculate your zones correctly you can use your HR to judge how hard your work out is. Then when you working a plan you can target different HRs to get the training you are looking for.

The problem is getting YOUR heart rate correct. It is highly variable depending on the person and CHANGES as you age and become fitter.

Get this book if you want to get into the weeds with this:

ndyasc0xq9t4.png
    $9,99 on Amazon.com

It is a great book that talks about how by far most of us are training way harder than elites do. :)
  • PastorVincent
    Options

I never paid attention until I read 80/20 by Matt Fitzgerald.

Then I got obsessed.

And now I pay attention but don't obsess. I think it's good to know HR training and make sure you include easy and hard runs but I don't pay a ton of attention and go by feel more (especially in summer) because I'd be walking for most easy and all recovery.

That seems the natural progression. HR I think mainly helps you learn how to get there.