November 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    I got to take my girls for their first ever run today! Miss 6 has been asking to run with me for a while now, but Miss 4 got her first pair of running shoes yesterday and as I tucked her into bed last night she asked if she could come for a run with me. Of course I said yes. What I wasn't expecting was for her to trot up the stairs at 6:45 this morning, dressed in shorts (she never wears shorts - strictly skirts and dresses for her) and her new running shoes, and tell me she's ready to go! So cute.

zncw6t1gwp9b.jpg

Running challenge
    1 Nov: 6.49km
    2 Nov: Rest and massage (Tiny evil Thai woman went to town on my calves and hammies. Ouch.)
    3 Nov: 10.32km, off-road
    4 Nov: 7.91km + 800m around the block with smalls in tow!

24.72 of 160km for November.

Upcoming events
    17 November, Xterra Trail Challenge Waihi 20.5km
    8 December, West Coaster trail relay (10km leg)
    Jan 20, Albany Lakes Summer Series 10k
    Feb 24, Albany Lakes Summer Series 10k
    Mar 3, Rotorua Off Road Half Marathon
    Mar 24, Albany Lakes Summer Series 10k
    Apr 21, Auckland Run Series 10k
    May 11, St Clair Vineyard Half Marathon
    Jun 2, Auckland Run Series 10k
    Jun 23, Auckland Run Series 10k
    Jul 14, Auckland Run Series 10k
    Aug 4, Auckland Run Series Half
    Aug 24, Mount Maunganui Half Marathon
    Oct 20, Auckland Half Marathon

Awww too cute! My miss 4 likes to go for walks with me but hasn't moved up to running yet... Miss 2 is still a bit young yet but won't be long
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    @orphia and @ContraryMaryMary a virtual run in NZ over Christmas for autism. It looks like you can do it from aus as well https://www.greatestvirtualrunnz.com/product-page/12-days-of-christmas-challenge

Ooh, looks good. Never done a virtual run before. Thinking 60km (it is a mad time of the year...)

I'm challenging myself, doing the 90...

Garmin steps say I do around 400-450 km per month. Not sure whether to go for 150 km or 240 km in the 12 days. Also couldn't see whether I can do it as an Aussie.
  • Avidkeo
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    @orphia and @ContraryMaryMary a virtual run in NZ over Christmas for autism. It looks like you can do it from aus as well https://www.greatestvirtualrunnz.com/product-page/12-days-of-christmas-challenge

Ooh, looks good. Never done a virtual run before. Thinking 60km (it is a mad time of the year...)

I'm challenging myself, doing the 90...

Garmin steps say I do around 400-450 km per month. Not sure whether to go for 150 km or 240 km in the 12 days. Also couldn't see whether I can do it as an Aussie.

Ah I may have read it wrong, I see it says it supplies shoes to kids in aus and nz, that may be where I got the idea it was NZ and Aus, sorry!

Well done on your Half! Love the pics and nice bling!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Did the Portland 3 Bays Half Marathon and was happy with my time. Out of 22 runs of HM distance, this was my 4th fastest; 2nd fastest race HM.

I wanted to be under 2 hr 10 min and I was.

Congrats and well done!

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,999 Member
    Options
    As my half draws closer I range between moments of confidence to moments of pure terror and absolute certainty that my perfectly good training plan is really cr@p and I'm going to be horrifically undertrained and will probably die.
    Strangely though (as I'll probably die so it won't be an issue), while running and fretting over not having enough miles under my belt I'm already thinking about what I'll be looking for in another training plan for another half in March. Am I just plain crazy? (Asking for the little voice in my head).

Hahaha. I have yet to do more than a 10K, which was 9 years ago when I was terribly under trained. So, I totally get it. I am hoping to get to the place where I can do a half and then a full marathon. I'm pretty sure the little voice in my head will be joining yours if that ever happens. I have a feeling you are going to do great and surprise yourself, and the little voice in your head.

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @zdyb23456 Absolutely Adorable!!!!! Cutest little fish I've ever seen!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Blueberry muffins can fix anything!!!
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    Been away for a couple of days and 12 pages to catch up on, y'all type as much as you run!
    Had a tough 7km run on Thursday up and down a hill that tried its best to kill me. Slowest 3.5k ever (like 30 minutes or so!) as in the end I was running for 60 seconds and walking for 30, but then I kinda flew back down (think steep dirt track sloping downwards and the wind behind me, there may have been an arms out sideways 'titanic' moment but I had the woods to myself so nobody will ever know). Actually came down so fast it ended up being around 90 seconds quicker altogether than the flat 7km I did at home in the rain on Tuesday.
    This morning was 11km, my longest run so far. I survived, last 3km or so were a bit of a mental battle and my legs feel like they'll be sore tomorrow, but it's over. Now to bear the runger til lunchtime.
    As my half draws closer I range between moments of confidence to moments of pure terror and absolute certainty that my perfectly good training plan is really cr@p and I'm going to be horrifically undertrained and will probably die.
    Strangely though (as I'll probably die so it won't be an issue), while running and fretting over not having enough miles under my belt I'm already thinking about what I'll be looking for in another training plan for another half in March. Am I just plain crazy? (Asking for the little voice in my head).

2/11: 7km
    4/11: 11km
    November goal: 125km. Completed so far: 18km

@eleanorhawkins yep your crazy, the good kind haha. And yes I know what you mean. Doing the 15k yesterday I felt. Great at the start but started to struggle at 14k, quit at 15 cause of a blister forming (wrong socks grrr). And I was annoyed cause last week I did 20! I think 14/15k seems to be a bit of a wall for me cause I'm always feeling it then, but I know if I keep going I get past it.

And yes while running I'm dreaming of my next run. Haha.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    @Orphia Congratulations on your HM!
    @katharmonic HAPPY BIRTHDAY!