Options

Replies

• Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    11-1 Rest
    11-2 7k intervals
    11-3 7k easy

Easy run today in the cold and the rain, but not enough rain for me to qualify for bad-*kitten* status.
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    fgsn wrote: »
    I'd like to join if it isn't too late! I'm starting a 20 week training program for my first ever half marathon this month! I've only ever done a 5K, so I'm excited to see how this will go :) (am I being too ambitious?)

My goal for November is 34 miles

11/1: 1.5 miles
    11/2: rest
    Total: 1.5 miles

I don’t think it is too ambitious at all. Five months is a decent amount of time to build up for a half.

• DaveJ_43
    DaveJ_43 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    November Goal: 100 mi
    11/2 6.0 mi 10.44 pace
    11/3 6.0 mi 10.33 pace
    TOTAL 12 mi

Happy Saturday, folks.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »

Wow, that is a great article, and very much on point! This part really spoke to me: "if we decide that the only people who have the potential to succeed are the ones who meet our idea of what successful looks like — when they’re gifted children of 12 or high achieving 20-year-olds — and only invest in them, we’ll prove ourselves right."
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,402 Member
    Options
    @biketheworld: *hugs* You in your 20s was right! No matter what you do, time is going to pass. It doesn't matter what you did yesterday - you can always make the decision to do something differently today. Losing weight is a slow, boring process, but it can be done! Make a plan and if that plan doesn't work, make another plan. Make changes that you can live with forever, and that means you get to eat cookies sometimes. What I said earlier in the thread applies here too: you can't expect different results unless you change things. Don't just aspire to change, make a plan! Set goals, and make them easy, concrete, measurable goals. And if you aren't meeting those goals, make different goals.

Second, don't get down on what you've already done - regular exercise is hugely important for your health, and is a hard habit to build. You are NOT kidding yourself. If it was easy, everyone would do it. You could be active and fat or you could be sedentary and fat. I've been the latter and now I'm the former and I'm going to do everything I can not to go back to the way I was before. And I'm not just doing that for tomorrow me, I'm doing it for me right now.

Finally, you shovel food in your mouth because your body needs food to function, and because your brain rewards you for doing things that it needs to survive. Food is a joy and a blessing and the fact that the portion of humanity that starves to death has dramatically decreased over the last few decades might be the greatest achievement of modern time. I genuinely hate seeing people talk about food as garbage or an addiction or anything like that. Yes, a lot of us could do with more veggies and less calories, but you don't have to deprive yourself of one of life's most basic pleasures in order to do that.

Sorry for the lecture, I'm feeling a little salty this morning. *hugs*
    Actually @MegaMooseEsq I think this is excellent, very well said!
    I was also going to say try taking things in small chunks. Instead of saying I have a goal to lose 25, 50, 100 lbs or whatever which can seem overwhelming, try focusing on small daily, weekly, monthly goals... today I am going to eat these things (planned out) or this week I am going to measure out my portions and log my calories. Overtime these small steps will become habits for your tomorrow self!