November 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    Oh yes, and a pinch and a punch!
    @ContraryMaryMary So is that NZ for Physio, massage ?? or a special refreshing beverage ??

On the October Halloween parade I had over 100 kids - live in a cul-de-sac 1 block from a 4 way stop/intersection and 3 blocks from the swimming pool. So lots of parents do a drive by drop off at the top and wait for the kids to complete the circle. Had about 30 pieces left and they went to the soup kitchen donation drop box ( with a case of Mushroom soup ) on my way to work - no goodies = no temptation.

No run for a few days - flu like symptoms but not the flu have kept me in the house - winter has arrived with a vengeance. 6-8 in ( 15- 20 cm ) of snow and more forecast. The ground is still warm = instant ice on all hard surfaces.

Oh I missed @ContraryMaryMary pinch and a punch! Lol
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Guy fawkes night here so lots of people letting off fireworks. I hate personal ones. Give me a public display any day!
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile Congratulations on your 1st HM. Great race report!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,997 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    @juliet3455 Good for you for getting rid of the temptation. I live in a rural area, so no one comes by to trick or treat anymore. Not even the neighbors who have small children. So, I just don't buy and candy, lock the gate at the end of my driveway, and hibernate. Hope you get to feeling well soon!!!

@kgirlhart Glad you got in a run. It is a great stress reliever - after you get over the stress of dealing with all of those things that went wrong for you when trying to get out the door. So sorry about your step niece. Prayers for the family as you deal with your loss.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile - awesome race report! Gravel and sharp rocks... that sounds tough!
    @kgirlhart - so sorry about your step-niece. Glad you got the run in! I know just what you mean about our little accessories - sunglasses, earphones, etc. If one thing is off it can really through you!

11/1 - 4 miles
    11/2 - rest day
    11/3 - 44 miles cycling + transform app - deload week, arms
    11/4 - 3 miles + transform app - deload - legs
    11/5 - 4 miles + tbd

exercise.png

• lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,804 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    Oh yes, and a pinch and a punch!
    @ContraryMaryMary So is that NZ for Physio, massage ?? or a special refreshing beverage ??.

Ha. No. It's what we say on the morning of the first of the month: "A pinch and a punch for the first of the month, and no returns." Although, the cheeky return is, "A pinch and a kick for being so quick."

Is that just in NZ? My husband is from the UK and I've got to ask him if he knows that phrase. The naughty bugger would make up something similar.

@rheddmobile wow that was one tough race! good on you!

@kgirlhart I am so sorry, all my condolences to you and the family. I am glad the run was a stress reliever for you.

@MobyCarp tremendous job!

Rest day from running today (although I will probably be restless and want to run anyway). I'll walk to the gym, do the arm crank erg and upper body weights, and walk back.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    11-1 Rest
    11-2 7k intervals
    11-3 7k easy
    11-4 10.5k slow
    11-5 7k recovery
    November total: 31.5k
    November goal: 150k

Easy recovery run today; cool and damp with just a little wind.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,804 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Do any of you do the Galloway run-walk method on long runs/races? I did when running with the LA Leggers and for some time after that, although I haven't been doing so for the past few months. I am considering whether to do so again for my long runs as I progress past 9 miles. I'm considering whether the run-walk will help me feel better going farther. I know I should find this an easier decision as I used to do this, but I can't decide for some reason. I'm wondering if it would help me increase my speed on long runs. I think I was around 12-13 min miles yesterday, and I don't want to race yet when I'm doing that pace.
  • zeesparrow
    zeesparrow Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Glad you asked, since I forgot to mention in my race report - Nov 3 2017 is the day I finished c25k by running 5k for the first time. (For the last half of c25k my husband and I chose the option of distance rather than time.) So we did our first official half on the first anniversary of running 5k!

I was a true couch potato when starting, and had difficulty finishing the one minute intervals, although I had some cardio fitness due to stationary bike. A year before THAT, in Nov 2016, I was morbidly obese and suffering from undiagnosed diabetes and a massive (benign) ovarian tumor which had been misdiagnosed as a cyst. The surgery to remove the tumor and my diabetes diagnosis caused me to decide to get healthy.

By the way, today, Nov 5, marks one year of my being at healthy BMI!

Until three weeks out from the half marathon, our regular running week was a tempo 5k on pavement, an easy 5 miles wherever, and 10K on trails. The longest race we had ever done was 5k and the longest distance we had ever done was 6.55 miles, which is half of a half marathon. But we saw the ads for this one, liked the shirt, liked the medal, liked the route, and wondered if we could run/walk it and make the 3 hr cutoff which would require just under a 14 minute mile. Also, the relay for Dennis was coming up. So we jumped in with both feet and ran 13.1 with only a couple of walk breaks, proving we could do it, and signed up. That left us two weeks to attempt to get as much conditioning in as possible, without wearing ourselves out, and a week for taper. So we did the last three weeks of Hal Higdon's 3 day half marathon plan, which is basically two medium runs and a ten miler for the last couple of weeks.

Honestly, after that we were pretty well conditioned to run ten miles. But despite Hal Higdon's optimism, we were not quite up for 13.1. And stepping up our mileage that quickly gave both me and my husband pain in places where we had not previously had pain. I think we would have managed better on an entirely paved route - I have no ACL in one knee and stabilizing my leg takes a lot of hip strength - but jumping to the last three weeks of a plan isn't exactly the same as building up to it, and we were not properly ready for the distance. However, considering we knew that going in, and were just wanting to finish before 3 hrs, I think we did as well as we expected to.

WOO HOO! Happy running anniversary, and healthy BMI anniversary! That is SO COOL!!

Thank you for sharing your running history. I have been reviewing and modifying my schedule for when I finish C25K, considering an earlier half than I'd mentioned previously (there's a local one on May 19th). At this point, I'm planning to start Hal Higdon's beginner 10k plan immediately after C25K, which would give me 5 weeks before officially starting his beginner 12 week HM plan for the May race. IF I do that.
    lkpducky wrote: »
    Do any of you do the Galloway run-walk method on long runs/races? I did when running with the LA Leggers and for some time after that, although I haven't been doing so for the past few months. I am considering whether to do so again for my long runs as I progress past 9 miles. I'm considering whether the run-walk will help me feel better going farther. I know I should find this an easier decision as I used to do this, but I can't decide for some reason. I'm wondering if it would help me increase my speed on long runs. I think I was around 12-13 min miles yesterday, and I don't want to race yet when I'm doing that pace.

I used that method the last time I ran a 12k, but haven't decided yet either so will be interested in seeing others thoughts.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    i have not used the galloway method on purpose in a race but i know a lot of people do. mostly because they run past me. and then stop. suddenly. without warning.
    one nice thing i've seen is someone on the right side of the trail who holds up her hand as she slows down to a walk
    @lkpducky
    many people use the galloway method. especially with the c25k training being popular.
    my running pace is 12ish min. and i race. i'm usually in the middle of the group.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but i will not be able to catch up on the posts i've missed

11/1-nope (1 hour aerial yoga)
    11/2-nope
    11/3-3 mi (2 hour aerial yoga)
    11/4-nope

we did about three miles saturday. we tried on some canicross harnesses. speed demon panicked in one and sat whenever it pulled on her. so we stick with harness we have. the three miles felt like the last three miles of a half marathon. i think it was because i hadn't eaten much.
    cleaned and food prepped sunday-tomato soup, banana bread, white cake, pancakes, pudding, eggs.
    anyone vegan? i made the soup but i usually use cream to cut the acidity. what do non-dairy people use to cut the acidity? i didn't have cream so i made as is with tomato and chicken stock.
    also met a surrender. we don't usually do surrenders but it was kind of an emergency and a volunteer was looking for a frenchie. but i got to take him on a walk. he is quite the personality. when he realized his person was gone he cried. it was both heartbreaking and funny(frenchies have a unique voice.)
    2 out of three miles at the dog park
    0fbb1fo04d0n.png

2nd crochet project. midweight sweater vest. she's thrilled.
    b8c0325kdxnc.png

to distract him, i took him for a walk or as he called it: "patrol"
    yior494o5l4n.png

we'll see how long this actually lasts. i need to start soaking lentils for another soup. tomato soup was vegan and so was the banana bread.
    6c289pe8d6x9.png

exercise.png

Poor sweet little Frenchie!

I think if you like the taste canned pumpkin might add body and cut the acidity similarly to cream in tomato soup. I do a tomato/pumpkin/lentil soup with garam masala.