TEAM WAISTAWAYS JANUARY 2019 TEAM CHAT

Replies

• jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,036 Member
    I’m seeing a doctor now to iron out my iron issues
    THIS! Nancy, you are welcome and even though you have had a really rough time in December (take a deep breath!), this line gives us a glimpse of a really fun person. You are also highly ambitious! 30 pounds in 3 months will take some doing - I'll be rooting for you all the way, as will all your other teammates here. And if you make 10 or 15 instead of the 30 you hope for, you will still be amazing - so, let's go!
  • jugar
    I promise to stop after this one.

Just my little report for the day. I did running around and errands, but stuck to my determination to EARN THE SHOWER. I did a pretty intense core circuit workout, and then for fun tried an exercise bike video. I had never tried one, and don't really have a spinning bike, but what the heck. I wanted to sweat more. It was billed as a Dance and Rhythm session, so it sounded fun. Sadly, the music was terrible and not loud enough to really hear the beat, and the instructor was not with the music in any case! On the plus side, it was a good 25 minute sweat-fest, but I can guarantee I won't be using that video ever again.

The shower still felt amazing. Ahhhhhh.
  • asheetagupte7272
    asheetagupte7272 Posts: 14 Member
    edited January 2019
    Thanks for the welcome. We moved for my husbands job. He works in the airline industry & this was a good opportunity & promotion for him. We've completed 2 years & looking to potentially extend another 2. The setting is beautiful though hot & humid & we're looking forward to exploring Asia some more!!
    orngnerdz wrote: »
    @tdrjustus3 Welcome to the group, we are glad to have you! I am a type 1 diabetic (since I was 9) and would gladly do anything to rid myself of the disease so I can understand why you are working to get away from it. How do you like being on Keto? My husband tried it a few years back and liked it at first but felt super sick after a few weeks so ultimately gave it up.

@asheetagupte7272 Welcome! That seems like a BIG move, can I ask why you relocated? Let us know how we can support you as you move forward this month :)
  • kkmark
    kkmark Posts: 558 Member

Username kkmark
    January Week 1
    Previous Weight:163.5
    Current Weight:161.9
  • Bear479
    Bear479 Posts: 58 Member
    karenesg wrote: »
    THIS IS THE CURRENT LIST I GOT FOR THE JANUARY STEP CHALLENGE
    IF YOU ARE NO LONGER INTERESTED IN IT PLEASE LET ME KNOW
    THIS IS A DAILY OR BI DAILY REPORT SO WE CAN KEEP UP WITH THE LOGGING OF IT.

@AmyHammons1
    @BMcC9
    @Karenesg
    @hope002
    @Offitgoes
    @sue_01
    @vicky2767
    @orngnerdz
    @bear479
    @gabi_texanmom
    @andreabroadley

Please take me off the list. Thank you!!

Please take me off the step challenge too
  • orngnerdz
    orngnerdz Posts: 583 Member
    Welcome @Inspire2019 or welcome back should I say! Isn't it funny how bad things seem to come in clusters? I remember when I was a kid my gram always used to say that bad things came in 3's and I never believed her. Now, I see it! I also had a tough go of December and I am working hard to get back on track. For me that means eating better (tracking my macros) and setting reasonable goals for the gym that I can work toward. Here's to a better January for all of us!
  • orngnerdz
    Username: orngnerdz
    Weigh in week: week 1
    Weigh in day: Tuesday
    Previous Weight: 196.7.
    Todays Weight: 198.6

Not shocked and not really that upset beyond hurting the team numbers. After I was in the hospital, the foods I could tolerate were not that healthy (lots of pasta and comfort food) but all the more reason to get back on track for January!

Yesterday I had a really mixed day but it ended up being great. I've been going to my gym since June and love the strength program I've been doing. Over the months, several trainers have left and the programs have started to change. On Tuesday when I went to the gym, I found that the strength program for January was WAY out of my league and had very few areas for modification. For example, I was supposed to do weighted pull ups every week. I can't do REGULAR pull ups and can barely do band assisted pull ups. Needless to say, I was frustrated. Thankfully, my favorite trainer that I have worked closely with was in and she created a squat workout for me that makes sense where I am right now. AND she is going to make three more days so that I have four different days a week.

The best part of yesterday was that I FINALLY did a low box squat with 20 pounds of racked kettlebells on each side! I have struggled with my hip hinge and being able to push up from the bottom of the position but yesterday we changed two things: she made me look up at a fixed point the entire time and she had me take off my shoes. Looking up kept me from dipping my chest and no shoes made it easier for me to feel how I should be pushing off. It was a tremendous difference. Ending the day this way made me feel much better about the coming months.
  • orngnerdz
    MoStacy wrote: »
    Hello Team Waist Aways,

Sorry about the slow logging. This group is a first time me. Had a great 2018 with my weight loss, took a break during the holidays, now I’m back. Looking forward to getting my workouts back along with the diet. Thanks for letting me join, I’ll do my part!

Username: MoStacy
    Weigh in day: Monday
    Previous Weight: 170lbs.
    Todays Weight: 169.6 lbs

arvz29v6ybio.jpeg

@MoStacy Nice loss! Don't worry about being a bit late on logging, it takes a bit to get into the groove!
  • orngnerdz
    WEIGH INS DUE TODAY
    @Blackbeautysue

PAST DUE WEEKLY WEIGH INS
    @iluvnufoods
    @AmyHammons1
    @kkmark
    @Raven9145

The following people do not have a set weigh in day, please let us know what day you would like to weigh in:
    @Claucescu
    @jennykriz
    @Andreabroadley
  • orngnerdz
    Group Challenge
    9wz1h2eexfxo.png
    208??! That is the number I have come up with for how many times, at minimum, that I want to go tot he gym in 2019. Basically, since there are 52 weeks in a year, my goal is to go to the gym at least four times a week. Really, I want to go five times but I know that life happens and want to make the goal attainable. Also, it means that I need to go 17.3 times each month. I've decided to attach rewards to each month and something to the end of the year if I meet my goals.

The reason I am setting this goal is because I too often hyper focus on losing weight and making gains at the gym that I lose sight of the fact that I am working hard just by showing up. By going to the gym, I will ultimately reach my other goals, and that's what I want to focus on.

My challenge to you is two fold: set a goal for yourself for the year and then break it down into monthly chunks that you can measure. You don't need to have the same type of goal, the gym isn't for everyone. Maybe you want your goal to be that you workout so many days or you hit your step goal or you meet your water intake goal, it really could be anything. The only condition is that you make it something you CAN do, not something that is so lofty that you are just setting yourself up for failure.

I'll share my "rewards" later, I am still working on what they actually will be because I am bad and often reward myself just because, so I'm hoping this might help me with me spending habits as well!
  • Navydaddjtc
    Navydaddjtc Posts: 4,166 Member
    jugar wrote: »
    GettingFitTash
    Week 1 weigh in
    SW: 198.4
    Monday will be my weigh day 😁

Greetings @GettingFitTash ! I do not see you on our spreadsheet, so I'll get after our awesome moderators to see if we can fix that. Then you'll be rolling with the Monday crowd. They are a great bunch.

@jugar
    this situation has been rectified
  • Navydaddjtc
    Navydaddjtc Posts: 4,166 Member
    Bear479 wrote: »
    karenesg wrote: »
    THIS IS THE CURRENT LIST I GOT FOR THE JANUARY STEP CHALLENGE
    IF YOU ARE NO LONGER INTERESTED IN IT PLEASE LET ME KNOW
    THIS IS A DAILY OR BI DAILY REPORT SO WE CAN KEEP UP WITH THE LOGGING OF IT.

@AmyHammons1
    @BMcC9
    @Karenesg
    @hope002
    @Offitgoes
    @sue_01
    @vicky2767
    @orngnerdz
    @bear479
    @gabi_texanmom
    @andreabroadley

Please take me off the list. Thank you!!

Please take me off the step challenge too

this has been done
    Greg

• jugar
    kkmark wrote: »
    Username kkmark
    January Week 1
    Previous Weight:163.5
    Current Weight:161.9

POSTED! and WELL DONE! You are helping the whole team - some of us started the month rather lagging, but you are going to inspires us to have fabulous results for week 2!
  • jugar
    MoStacy wrote: »
    Hello Team Waist Aways,

Sorry about the slow logging. This group is a first time me. Had a great 2018 with my weight loss, took a break during the holidays, now I’m back. Looking forward to getting my workouts back along with the diet. Thanks for letting me join, I’ll do my part!

Username: MoStacy
    Weigh in day: Monday
    Previous Weight: 170lbs.
    Todays Weight: 169.6 lbs

POSTED! And a big bravo to you too. It might not seem like a lot, but as others have said, even small losses, week after week get you there!
  • jugar
    Wow - @orngnerdz - your "208" challenge is a fantastic idea. I always make vague commitments, like exercise 20 minutes a day no matter what, but a more specific one with monthly numbers is a lot more serious (in a good way).

I am going to think about this, and about great rewards also! I hope lots of us join in and keep track of those numbers for a while. Revision is not a failure - as long as that is part of the formula, I think I can do this.

Thanks!
  • jugar
    WEIGH INS DUE TODAY
    @Blackbeautysue

PAST DUE WEEKLY WEIGH INS
    @iluvnufoods
    @AmyHammons1
    @kkmark
    @Raven9145

The following people do not have a set weigh in day, please let us know what day you would like to weigh in:
    @Claucescu
    @jennykriz
    @Andreabroadley

@kkmark DONE!
    @Andreabroadley SUNDAYS, and DONE!

I love that @Blackbeautysue is our only Thursday person. Thursday would be lonely without you!

The rest of you on the list, I hope we hear from you...
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,364 Member
    Group Challenge

My challenge to you is two fold: set a goal for yourself for the year and then break it down into monthly chunks that you can measure. You don't need to have the same type of goal, the gym isn't for everyone. Maybe you want your goal to be that you workout so many days or you hit your step goal or you meet your water intake goal, it really could be anything. The only condition is that you make it something you CAN do, not something that is so lofty that you are just setting yourself up for failure.

I'll share my "rewards" later, I am still working on what they actually will be because I am bad and often reward myself just because, so I'm hoping this might help me with me spending habits as well!

For now, I will set a goal to have "exercise" mean MORE than my exergame cardio at least 3 times per week.

I say "at least" because, as of today, I am only in the exploring stage of hunting out possibilities for what I be doing, and have yet to discover what it's gonna feel like the day after (do I need to factor in exergame-only active-rest days? Is it something short-but-intense I could fit in before I go in to work? )

I also say "for now" because I may find that more than 3 days per week will prove realistic over time. (Daily exergame cardio is just soooo much a part of my life-style, it takes something VERY major to make me skip even one day of a minimum 20 minutes ... the fact that I can get it in WHILE watching a tv show or DVD helps with that LOL)

This tells you a lot about my lack of social interaction outside work .... and I mostly deal with "how much of this box of paper is old enough to legally dispose of yet?" at work so not lots there either.
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,364 Member
    Group challenge Day 1 done.

5 minutes ultra-intense HIIT program setting on my exercise bike. (5 pairs of alternating 30 second lowest-highest resistance setting)

It will always be 5 pairs, so when I try 6 minutes next time, it will be longer than 30 seconds ...

and eventually I will most likely be doing chained shorter sessions so that (for example) I don't wind up doing a 50 minute session of 5 pairs of alternating 2.5 minutes each .... that's not what I would call a "short, hard sprint"

How long do HIIT classes (active portion) usually last? I know some of you do those.
This discussion has been closed.