TEAM WAISTAWAYS JANUARY 2019 TEAM CHAT

Options

Replies

• orngnerdz
    orngnerdz Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    @BMcC9 I have been slacking on my HIIT classes lately but I can explain how they typically work at my gym. They aways start with a dynamic warm up, whether it is working with an agility ladder or doing some sort of exercise (like lunges or high kicks) from one point to another. This usually lasts 5-8 minutes. After, the instructor demonstrates the first "section" of the workout, usually multiple stations and you do each round of stations for 30 seconds to two minutes and rotate through (sometimes multiple times). Then, sometimes there is a "new" round. These rounds usually are about 45-50 minutes and I would say we work around 40-45 minutes of that time. The last few minutes of class is some kind of stretching or foam rolling. So to make my longer answer more concise, I would say of the 60 minute HIIT class, I am high impact for 40-50 minutes.
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,043 Member
    Options
    @BMcC9 I use a really simple HIIT on the exercise bike or anything else cardio-oriented. This is separate from any strength work or other kinds of circuits. I just warm up at a moderate pace for 5 minutes, then to 30" at TOP PACE or EFFORT, then 60" moderate, and alternate the 30/60 for a minimum of 6 rounds. This takes (with warmup) about 16 minutes, more as you add more rounds. The 30" should really get you out of breath, sweating, and thinking you are about to keel over, but it's only 30"! There are great interval timer apps, but if you can find some interval music with voice-over it really helps. I found one on a site about turbulence training years ago - free download.
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,364 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the description, @orngnerdz . That will help me evolve a realistic (self-guided) set of expectations .... and analyze what various Youtube video classes present.
  • tdrjustus3
    tdrjustus3 Posts: 542 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    @orngnerdz
    Hello. Thank you for the message. I have enjoyed Keto so far. My daughter and son are slowly joining me. It has stopped me from eating out so much and to be more careful about what I do eat. I read labels now and realize how sugar is in everything we eat. I hope to make this a lifestyle change. I am hoping to start exercising more consistently.
    I did feel dizzy and light headed a few days ago but realized I hadn’t consumed enough calories and potassium. I increased those and felt better right away.
  • kkmark
    kkmark Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    jugar wrote: »
    kkmark wrote: »
    Username kkmark
    January Week 1
    Previous Weight:163.5
    Current Weight:161.9

POSTED! and WELL DONE! You are helping the whole team - some of us started the month rather lagging, but you are going to inspires us to have fabulous results for week 2!

Thank you i was surprised to i lost weight. Hopefully will keep going down

Team work wins lets make this month a happy and healthy month
  • Andreabroadley
    Andreabroadley Posts: 5,455 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    BMcC9 wrote: »
    Group challenge Day 1 done.

5 minutes ultra-intense HIIT program setting on my exercise bike. (5 pairs of alternating 30 second lowest-highest resistance setting)

It will always be 5 pairs, so when I try 6 minutes next time, it will be longer than 30 seconds ...

and eventually I will most likely be doing chained shorter sessions so that (for example) I don't wind up doing a 50 minute session of 5 pairs of alternating 2.5 minutes each .... that's not what I would call a "short, hard sprint"

How long do HIIT classes (active portion) usually last? I know some of you do those.

The usual HIIT class I go to goes about 56 minutes.. technically it’s half on machines like treadmills bikes rowers and other half is strength training. But it is all active really. I can have my heart rate up just as high during the strength training as I do during treadmill..

8bflf8hta4ff.png
  • Smart_Beautiful_and_Strong
    Smart_Beautiful_and_Strong Posts: 230 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Happy Thursday!

@steplaj thank you for the kind words, back attcha!

@orngnerdz I do CI/CO with a 1500 calorie limit. I am just getting back to logging, I took a break from the end of November until New Years. I was so happy that I had gained only 3.6 lb over the holidays. I'm still fighting to get those 2 liters a day of water, but improving. I will be adding exercise back later.

I have been thinking of changing eating plans and have been considering WW online, anyone using WW now or in the past, what do you think of it? Any plans any of you would recommend that are budget friendly and not prepared food based? I do have my hubby and 13 yr old son to consider in as well.
  • tdrjustus3
    tdrjustus3 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Daily Post: Wednesday January 3

Track: Yes
    Calories: Yes
    Exercise: No
    Goals/Day/Comments: Meal prepping for next week for the family meals. They are doing Keto at dinner time but don’t know it. No bread, no potatoes, no rice. I will let you know how it goes.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    tdrjustus3 wrote: »
    Daily Post: Wednesday January 3

Track: Yes
    Calories: Yes
    Exercise: No
    Goals/Day/Comments: Meal prepping for next week for the family meals. They are doing Keto at dinner time but don’t know it. No bread, no potatoes, no rice. I will let you know how it goes.

There was this book I once saw, in my high school library Back In The IceAge of all places ... it may no longer be in print but there have probably been variations over the intervening decades ....

"Confessions of a sneaky organic cook: or how to make your family healthy when they're not looking"

Maybe there's a "sneaky keto cook" variant out there? >:)
  • jugar
    Options
    Happy Thursday!

@orngnerdz I do CI/CO with a 1500 calorie limit. I am just getting back to logging, I took a break from the end of November until New Years. I was so happy that I had gained only 3.6 lb over the holidays. I'm still fighting to get those 2 liters a day of water, but improving. I will be adding exercise back later.

I have been thinking of changing eating plans and have been considering WW online, anyone using WW now or in the past, what do you think of it? Any plans any of you would recommend that are budget friendly and not prepared food based? I do have my hubby and 13 yr old son to consider in as well.

I find it simple and delicious to stick with something close to Mediterranean - TONS of veggies, fish or legumes as main protein, and my main source of carbs is vegetables and fruit. I do not eat grains much, but they're not banned either. My family (only males left at home!) eat more red meat than I do, and add rice to most dinners. It works pretty well.
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday!

I did WW for awhile (as well as others). CICO has worked the best. I think.it has been because it has forced me to.learn about ME ... how my body functions, how much and what kinds of foods I need to eat and when in order to keep hunger down, energy up and cravings safely out of the picture.

It did take me a few months to figure everything out, but once I did it has been pretty smooth sailing. I have lost a fairly consistent 1.5 pounds per week for nearly 6 months. Best news is that I really can see this becoming a lifestyle change and not just a diet.
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Today was a good day with calories and exercise all on plan. Feeling tired this evening (in a good way) and looking forward to a great night's sleep.

Goal for 2019 -

First and foremost, I want to continue doing what I am doing re eating and exercise so that it truly becomes my way of being

My other goal is to try to incorporate similar discipline into my financial life. I seem to have unleashed a monster with all the weight I have lost. I have had to totally replace my entire wardrobe because NONE of my old clothes fit. Unfortunately, I have found that, for the first time in forever, I really enjoy shopping for clothes ! :smiley:

However, enough is enough and it is time to stop and start being fiscally responsible again.

So ... I have created a monthly budget and identified a reasonable amount to spend on entertainment and non-essentials. Hopefully, my weight loss journey has given me skills I can apply to this area of my life as well!
  • Smart_Beautiful_and_Strong
    Options
    @jugar and @jan110144 thank you for your input!
  • jugar
    Options
    Today went so well food-wise that I had enough calories left for my one sweet indulgence: ice cream. I live near a wonderful ice cream factory (Coaticook, in Québec) and it is a reasonable ice cream - not too rich but tasty! I tell myself that anyhow. I had so many errands today that lunch was really minimal, then the biggest workout day of the week. By the time I logged dinner, there were still more than 200 calories left even before using any exercise calories. Yum. This does not happen too often - my calorie limit is quite low (I'm only 5 feet tall), and it is annoying how quickly I reach it!
  • jugar
    edited January 2019
    Options
    More weigh-ins to report, anyone? There are still a few outstanding. Get yourself onto the spreadsheet of fabulousness and accountability!

You can have a look any time at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18SYOiF4mYRUqxP4nFxXOreq9Diq30ArGoRc43KuIrw0/edit#gid=0
    This link lives at the top of the main F2F page if you ever need it. Scroll down to all the tabs and choose our team - you'll see everyone in all their honesty. If ever there is a mistake, let me or Michelle know! ( @jugar or @orngnerdz )
  • BMcC9
    Options
    I just did a second HIIT-hard set on my bike after supper ... this time 7 minutes total (42 seconds for each of the ten units (5 x lowest-then-highest pairs; bike "takes care of the changes"). According to the bike, that burned 82 calories. In 7 minutes. After I had spent 60 minutes / 191 calories burned on my mini-trampoline .... upping the after-dinner snack a bit! Macros can easily handle it with ~ 100 exercise calories still left unburned (what I usually try to end the day with)

I will stick with trying 2 7-minute (spread well apart) sessions per day for now. Unless I wake up tomorrow with muscles saying otherwise. This will be over-and-above my usual ~45 minute mini-trampoline cardio.
  • Bear479
    Bear479 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Bear479
    Week1
    Pw 180
    Cw 178.2

Really surprised i feel about 10 pounds heavier and was positive I would come home from the holidays in the mid 180s. Have not been able to run yet bc my youngest is still at home with diarrhea due to a big top tooth coming in. Really throwing off my schedule a bit but it is the last month I can be so flexible with my schedule and stay home with him. Next month it's back to work which feels totally crazy since I haven't been there since more than a year ago. In Germany we stop working 6 weeks before the birth and are home at least a year. I started tracking again yesterday and that helps me feel more in control. If the weather clears up a bit we will go for walk later.
  • ltfitz89
    ltfitz89 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    LTFitz89
    Week 1 Weigh in
    Starting Weight Friday 12/28 - 216.9
    Week 1 Friday Jan 4 - 216.1

Taking this as a win since between last Friday and New Years Day I gained and weighed 218.1 on New Years Day!
  • sue_01
    sue_01 Posts: 2,700 Member
    Options
    sue_01
    Week 1 Weigh in
    Starting weight- 191.5
    Cw-190.5
This discussion has been closed.