January 2019!! Monthly Challenge

Options

Replies

• PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,688 Member
    Options
    Checking in! This week has been pretty good but I’m struggling to determine if I’m truly in ketosis? Thoughts on test strips?? 🤔
    Opinions vary but generally they are thought to be not worth the money, having said that though I do occasionally use them when I've been off keto and when I start back, like now, I may use a couple as I bought them when I first started and they are the left overs! I rarely show much though and they just show what you have as 'leftovers' as you pee them out! Some people like the blood monitors but really, if you are really cutting back the carbs it has to work as you will no longer be burning sugar from carbs but your body will be working on the fats, that's why after a while we need to cut back on the fats we intake so that we run on some of the fat off our butts! As many say: trust the process!! :)

@tryphenahachey I'm the same. I have them and use them occasionally. But after I got into ketosis, they just always measured "trace" - got boring. Right now, I'm checking because I went non-keto in December and am now switching back. But a better clue for me was (1) having ketone breath last week (ah... the smell fruity paint fumes in the morning); and (2) having my cravings go "bye-bye" again.
  • gwendyprism
    gwendyprism Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Started Keto Oct 1- 180.3
    Last weight in Dec- 171.9

Sunday 01/06- 170.7
    Sunday 01/13- 172.6 (Part of this is I no longer have stomach flu but part may be over indulging in sugar alcohols.)
    Sunday 01/20
    Sunday 01/27
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    This is the first week of this new year I have been relatively keto clean (not perfect yet). My wonderful wife has taken over keto prep/cooking as I recovery from shoulder surgery. She still slips in a few non-keto ingredients here and there, but I’m not complaining. She’s making me keep my arm still and calm as I heal from the repairs done to my 69-year old dislocated shoulder. So, for at least 5 more weeks I’m at the mercy of my reluctant keto chef.

I’m very grateful she has accepted keto chef duties as she is not as into keto as I. She has a hard time staying in ketosis because she won’t give up beer on our bowling night, Ha! So, my results are both on the scale and off are more noticeable than hers. Hopefully. My keto chef and I will continue the positive trend we’ve been on early this new year.

SW 2018: 204.4
    SW 2019: 184.4
    GW: 160

Thurs 01/01 - 184.4
    Sun 01/06 - 183.8
    Sun 01/13 - 178.4

Awe, that is so nice :) I love that she's willing to make you food that works for you. Thats awesome!
    Also, psst - I think there are low-carb beers available, if you're not a purist perhaps you could buy a pack to taste and she could try one too? :) )
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Nice loss @stormywxs288 :)
  • THachAb
    THachAb Posts: 63 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Week two complete!! Overall I’m feeling so much more energized and my tummy is less bloated with less emergency trips to the bathroom too! I did have one day where I fell off the wagon due to a coworker’s farewell lunch at an Indian restaurant. I felt awful several hours lately.. extreme brain fog and fatigue. I’ve been going to the gym 2-3 times a week doing some moderate cardio and light weights. It’s not much but it’s a start, right?

Hope everyone has a great week!!

SD: Jan 2,2019 / SW: 156lbs /GW: 130lbs

Tuesday 01/01 -156 lbs
    Sunday 01/06 - 151lbs
    Sunday 01/13 - 149 lbs
    Sunday 01/20
    Sunday 01/27
    Thursday 01/31
  • stormywxs288
    stormywxs288 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    River Goddess wrote: Awe, that is so nice I love that she's willing to make you food that works for you. Thats awesome! Also, psst - I think there are low-carb beers available, if you're not a purist perhaps you could buy a pack to taste and she could try one too? )

That is a great suggestion RG. I’m not a purist and I already like light beer and low carb beer. Unfortunately, my reluctant keto cook/wife is a purist. She’s a “beer” purist and loves her full throttle beer. I’m lucky enough to bowl with two women on a three-person team. Both the girls wear shirts that say, “Take a Pitcher, It last longer”. The shirts have a picture of a pitcher of beer on them. I wear my “I can’t, I’m in Ketosis” T-shirt. Our team-name is “Irritable Bowl Syndrome” (IBS).

As you might guess the lady’s priority is not bowling. Their motto is “Here for Beer”. I <3 bowling every week with them. However, I’m not supposed to put my shoulder at risk for at least 5 more weeks. So, the keto cook/wife bowls and drinks her beer without me for the next 5 weeks.
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 36,068 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Tuesday 01/01 145.1 (lost some of the holiday weight 👍🏼)
    Sunday 01/06 - 144.8 (I bought a new scale that syncs with MFP) I need something to keep me honest, lol
    Sunday 01/13 144.7
    Sunday 01/20
    Sunday 01/27
    Thursday 01/31. for those who want to finish the month!
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    River Goddess wrote: Awe, that is so nice I love that she's willing to make you food that works for you. Thats awesome! Also, psst - I think there are low-carb beers available, if you're not a purist perhaps you could buy a pack to taste and she could try one too? )

That is a great suggestion RG. I’m not a purist and I already like light beer and low carb beer. Unfortunately, my reluctant keto cook/wife is a purist. She’s a “beer” purist and loves her full throttle beer. I’m lucky enough to bowl with two women on a three-person team. Both the girls wear shirts that say, “Take a Pitcher, It last longer”. The shirts have a picture of a pitcher of beer on them. I wear my “I can’t, I’m in Ketosis” T-shirt. Our team-name is “Irritable Bowl Syndrome” (IBS).

As you might guess the lady’s priority is not bowling. Their motto is “Here for Beer”. I <3 bowling every week with them. However, I’m not supposed to put my shoulder at risk for at least 5 more weeks. So, the keto cook/wife bowls and drinks her beer without me for the next 5 weeks.

Yet another thing we have in common, Stormy! I love bowling, and I'm pretty good too 😁 I bowled for 10 years before moving too far away from any bowling alley to continue. I'll do still kick butt when I go into town with my co-workers or friends haha 😉
  • cmbalint
    cmbalint Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    01/01 184.3
    01/07 181.7
    01/13 183.2
    tough week need to get back on track lots of out of bounds snacks
  • VeronicaMarie27
    VeronicaMarie27 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I’m so glad we weigh in on Sundays, because this morning I was back up again. Ugh! I think i might not be drinking enough water...? Any other chronic weigh-ers out there? Thinking of starting a support group! :D:D:D:D
  • BadAtitude
    BadAtitude Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    First time Keto follower here. I thought about doing Keto for months but it scared me....now that I actually started it seems easier then I thought. I really love the food choices and am actually attempting to cook, which is a huge milestone for me as I hate cooking (even bought a Keto cookbook :o ). Hope to do well, thanks for letting me join.

SW -192.2 lbs
    GW-140 lbs

Sunday 1/6- 192.2
    Sunday 1/13- 187.2
    Sunday 1/20
    Sunday- 1/27
    Thursday 1/31