MISSION SLIMPOSSIBLES TEAM CHAT - MAY 2019

Options
Navydaddjtc
Navydaddjtc Posts: 4,166 Member
edited April 2019 in Social Groups
This chat room provides a place for the CHALLENGERS to meet and chat about the challenge, discuss any issues, post comments, share ideas, etc...

We are beginning the MAY Challenge - We have six (6) teams returning this month!!

Our group and team leaders for the MAY Challenge are as follows:

Our Moderators;
Steve - @steplaj (Group Owner)
Greg - @Navydaddjtc
Becky - @Beka3695
Liselyn - @jugar

Our Team Captains
Team Workout Warriors - @Navydaddjtc , @melissafeagins and @steplaj
Team Mission Slimpossibles - @broncobuddee and @Kres567
Team Weight No More - @sleepymom5 and @cyndiesstuff
Team WaistAways - @BMcC9 and @jugar
Team Trimstones - @mulecanter and @jessicakrall8
Team Shrinking Assets - @Boehle and @Beka3695

Our Motivators
Team Workout Warriors - @navydaddjtc
Team Mission Slimpossibles - @tess5036 and @Kres567
Team WaistAways - OPEN
Team Weight No More - @ihp2015 and @Mrsbell8well
Team Trimstones - @angmarie28
Team Shrinking Assets - @KelGen02

Captain’s responsibilities include:
* Entering weights for your team into the spreadsheet.
* Be active in team discussions, encouraging and supporting the challengers as they post.
* Encourage challengers to participate in challenges and in group discussions.
* Post daily / weekly challenges and topics to promote team involvement and help keep the team engaged.
* Participate in team discussions encouraging team participation.
* Help remind challengers when they are due to post (and especially when overdue to post) weights.
* Encourage participation in the moderators challenge and in the weekly team challenges.
* Remind your challengers to enter their weights on time by tagging them or messaging them when they are pending.
* Answering any questions that may come up about challenges, weigh-ins, the spreadsheets etc.

Motivator’s Responsibilities include:
* Be active in team discussions, encouraging and supporting the challengers as they post.
* Encourage challengers to participate in challenges and in group discussions.
* Participate in team discussions encouraging team participation.
* Help remind challengers when they are due to post (and especially when overdue to post) weights.
* Encourage participation in the moderators challenge and in the weekly team challenges.
* Coordinate with your awesome team captains to see if they can use any assistance or if they have any specific tasks they feel you can assist with.

F2F-WLC CHALLENGES:
- - WEEKLY GROUP CHALLENGE (Challenges hosted by teams for the entire group)
- - MODERATOR'S CHALLENGE (Challenges hosted by the moderators of the group)
- - INDIVIDUAL CHALLENGES (Challenges within teams themselves)

Team Weekly challenges will be announced in later communications

(Note:The team order for challenges follows the team order in the group standing sheet on the spreadsheets)

HOW OUR CHALLENGES WORK:
We have 4 total possible challenges and NONE are mandatory. Our challengers can do none or all it's up to them. So we have...

The F2F Weekly TEAM Challenge - posted each week on Sunday in the announcements by the team who is assigned that particular week (see above for your week). This is for the F2F Group as a whole.

F2F Moderators Challenge/Topic of the week - This challenge is provided each week in the announcements area. One of the moderators will either provide a challenge that will involve anything fitness, health, and nutrition.

Individual Team challenges - these are challenge done within your own team. You can chose daily, weekly, or monthly challenges (weekly seems to work best). You can make this whatever you wish as long as it's health and fitness related.

Note: If for some reason your team is unable to provide the weekly challenge please let me know ahead of time so another team can take your place or so I can provide the challenge.

Good Luck Teams: Please let us know if there is anything wrong or if you notice something that needs to be fixed or modified. Everything seems ready to go for APRIL. Registrations are almost done and we have quite a few new challengers. Make sure you are going into your new team threads to welcome anyone who has started posting. Let’s make our newbies feel welcome and show them some F2F love!!

THANKS, YOUR MODS

Replies

• AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,591 Member
    Options
    j1w2kqpal0wx.png

APRIL WEEK 2 WINNERS
    As a whole we lost 73.7 PDS OR 0.28% .....!!

TEAMS % LOST
    1st Mission Slimpossibles
    2nd Workout Warriors
    3rd Shrinking Assets

TEAMS PDS LOST
    1st Mission Slimpossibles
    2nd Workout Warriors
    3rd WaistAways

INDIVIDUAL % LOST
    1st SSUMMERLIN80
    2nd COLLEEN312
    3rd JESUSGIRL62

INDIVIDUAL PDS LOST
    1st Coleen312
    1ST Ssummerlin80
    2ND jlbtnc
    3rd. JESUSGIRL62

HONORABLE MENTIONS
    REFLECTIONOFME
    MARTINESTHER88
    DEE_TORONTO
    JLBTNC
    EMBERSDREAM
    BEKA3695
    WISHUSDONNA

Wow! Go, Slimpossibles, go! We are having such a great month, as a team.

Booyah, @dee_toronto @embersdream and @Wishusdonna !
    Thanks for the encouragement. I was feeling a bit disheartened as I had put a little bit back on towards the end of the month. Hopefully will lose a bit more next month I’m aiming to lose 6 pounds next month

Hey @embersdream - You are most welcome! And yes, keeping an eye on the big picture is always helpful. There will be weeks when you go up a little, but if you are in action and your average is downward, that's a great time to remember that.
  • AustinRuadhain
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Hi there!

I am reading a nifty book called A Plant-Based Life. A big chunk of the book discusses making a change in your eating and the process of making mental and behavioral changes to eat in a new way. I was really struck by a section called "Why Are You Eating," as it points at things I have dealt with, so I thought I would share it here.

Why Are You Eating?
    From A Plant-Based Life by Micaela Cook Karlsen
    The next question is "why." Why am I eating? What are all the reasons I might put food in my mouth during the day? This could include:
    - I'm hungry.
    - It tastes good.
    - I don't really want it but I can't stop myself.
    - I'm bored.
    - I'm stressed.
    - I feel lonely or sad.
    - Other people around me are eating and I feel pressure to fit in.
    - I just kept eating and I didn't notice how much I ate.
    - I deserve to treat myself.
    - I don't notice that I'm even eating.

I have gotten myself to where my reasons are usually "I'm hungry" and "This is the food I planned to eat" are reasons I am putting particular foods in my mouth, but a whole bunch of the reasons listed here are things that got me in trouble. Noticing the "why" when I am thinking about eating and then deciding whether to honor that, has been important to me. You, too?

If you want to dig in more, here's a printable Eating Decision Awareness tool.
  • embersdream
    embersdream Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Hey team.
    Insights anyone?
    I’m feeling pretty emotional.
    I got on the scale this morning ( and yes I am menstruating) and the scale says I’m the heaviest I’ve been in my entire life. I don’t understand how I’ve put on THAT MUCH. And increSe of ten pounds in less than a week.
    I’m devastated.
    Haven’t been feeling well .
    I’m doing weights/cardio 3 times a week. Not dieting but staying within a normal range of calories of about 14-1600 a day .
    I did do extreme dieting for a long time and my body was used to operating at low cals but I literally can’t do that anymore.
    I feel on the verge of panic.
    I’m tired of all the diets and bandwagons that people say is the best things. I’ve tried them all . Literally. I have had thyroid checked in the past too and seems normal ( despite family history)
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    Options
    @AustinRuadhain, that is a cool assessment sheet to find out why we eat what we eat. That list of questions is something I need to spend some serious time trying to figure out. I started out yesterday all set to make this an awesome month and then today it all went out the window and I'm sitting here feeling too full and mad at myself. :#

@embersdream, I'm sorry you are struggling so much! I feel your pain. Really, I do!! I know how frustrating it all can be. But you can't panic or give up. You need to breathe and regroup. I don't know what answer to give you as I am in the midst of trying to figure it out for myself. Right now I'm doing intermittent fasting and on days when I stick to it I feel amazing. Then there are days like today. :/ The good news is that we are in this together and that is why this is such a great group. ((hugs))

Thursday Check in:
    Calories: over....because the boss took us all out to lunch and I had the yeast rolls!!
    Water: over
    Exercise: Other than laps around work while I talked to my mother on the phone I didn't do anything exercise related.

My goal for tomorrow is to do MUCH better than I did today! I am making a vow to myself to fast for at least 20 hours and to NOT stick any junk food in my mouth. I can do it!!

Don't know if we are still doing steps but here 5/1 was 10,375
  • AustinRuadhain
    edited May 2019
    Options
    @embersdream - As @TeresaW1020 wisely says, breathe. Don't quit. Wait and see how this shakes out after you have gotten past the monthly visitor part of the hormone cycle.

For what it's worth, I started work on this at the end of 2017, and it was months before I figured out what works for me to feel healthier and lose weight. I too had a time where I was worried that nothing was going to work. Measuring and logging everything I ate was key, as it let me look for patterns and think about what was going on.

Hang in there!

@TeresaW1020 - I am sorry today wasn't the day you planned on, but looking for your own patterns and triggers sounds like a great next step. And, yeah, yeast rolls are dangerous! Tomorrow's a new day. Forgive, learn, and back to work tomorrow!

P.S. I posted over here because someone mentioned the new May thread was up, and then someone else said hang out in the April thread until Sunday? Sorry! So if it seems quiet here, that's why!
  • embersdream
    edited May 2019
    Options
    @AustinRuadhain, that is a cool assessment sheet to find out why we eat what we eat. That list of questions is something I need to spend some serious time trying to figure out. I started out yesterday all set to make this an awesome month and then today it all went out the window and I'm sitting here feeling too full and mad at myself. :#

@embersdream, I'm sorry you are struggling so much! I feel your pain. Really, I do!! I know how frustrating it all can be. But you can't panic or give up. You need to breathe and regroup. I don't know what answer to give you as I am in the midst of trying to figure it out for myself. Right now I'm doing intermittent fasting and on days when I stick to it I feel amazing. Then there are days like today. :/ The good news is that we are in this together and that is why this is such a great group. ((hugs))

Thursday Check in:
    Calories: over....because the boss took us all out to lunch and I had the yeast rolls!!
    Exercise: Other than laps around work while I talked to my mother on the phone I didn't do anything exercise related.

My goal for tomorrow is to do MUCH better than I did today! I am making a vow to myself to fast for at least 20 hours and to NOT stick any junk food in my mouth. I can do it!!

Don't know if we are still doing steps but here 5/1 was 10,375

You’re right it’s really about not giving up. I think if you’re intermittent fasting then hopefully it makes up for a blow out occasionally. I did 16:8 today but reckon lowering refined carbs to nothing will help
  • saresimsr36
    saresimsr36 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I've been apart of fat2fit before, but its been over a year. I'm starting again and hopefully for the last time. My goal is to lose 70lbs. Being apart of this challenge makes it possible for me because I'm super competitive and I love the vibe here. Let's make may a great month!
  • Kres567
    Kres567 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Hey team.
    Insights anyone?
    I got on the scale this morning ( and yes I am menstruating) and the scale says I’m the heaviest I’ve been in my entire life. I don’t understand how I’ve put on THAT MUCH. And increSe of ten pounds in less than a week.
    I’m devastated.
    I’m doing weights/cardio 3 times a week. Not dieting but staying within a normal range of calories of about 14-1600 a day .
    I did do extreme dieting for a long time and my body was used to operating at low cals but I literally can’t do that anymore.
    I’m tired of all the diets and bandwagons that people say is the best things. I’ve tried them all . Literally. I have had thyroid checked in the past too and seems normal ( despite family history)

@embersdream - I am sending you the biggest virtual hug right now. I have been exactly where you are at. I am wondering if your scale is wrong? Maybe the batteries are dying? But regardless the week you are menstruating you will go up a lot. How do your clothes feel? That is always a more important sign for me than the scales.

You are doing amazing with your workouts and your calories level is so normal. Do something for yourself today that will make you feel better and strong. Don’t do the diets if it doesn’t make you feel good. Keep doing what makes you feel good.

Please check in later today and let us know how you are.
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, great to see so many people still here, and some new faces as well :)
  • tess5036
    Options
    Hey team.
    Insights anyone?
    I’m devastated.

Don't despair or give up, we've all been there *hugs*

Firstly, that will not all be true weight gain (fat). To put on a pound of fat takes roughly 3500 calories surplus (well actually slightly more for most people). So, unless you have eaten 35,000 extra calories, then it's not all fat, and I bet you are no where near that, as you haven't been eating at that level of surplus!!!!

I have seen scales change that amount, and its usually a combination of things, I'll list just some of them, I expect several will apply and when combined together may account for a good chunk of that shift in the weight on the scales.

1. If you are doing weights and cardio, you are building muscle, and that requires you to cause microtears in your muscles which then heal stronger. The muscle requires a greater level of fluid retention to repair, this can account for several pounds.

2. If you have eaten more carbs than usual this will increase weight; for every 1 g of carbs you eat, your body will retain approximately 2.9 g of fluid to process it. This can add up quickly

3. If you have eaten more salt than usual you will also retain more fluid

4. If you are stressed or sleeping badly y7ou will stimulate cortisol, which also causes some weight gain (if you want more details let me known, but that is quite complex).

5. At any point in time there will be food and drink in your system, regardless of the calories, this will have a weight, so can increase weight ion the scales. This may also be exacerbated if you haven't been to the bathroom for a while.

6. Are the scales in exactly the same place, a small shift or placing them on the carpet can change the results,. up or down, and by quite a bit. Likewise, if the scales are near a heat source, it can muck up the calibration in some scales. Batteries on the scales may also be worth checking.

7. Time of the month for women

8. Illness (of feeling ill which may mean you have a mild virus or infection) also causes temporary weight gain as your body retains fluids to repair itself.

9. Medication or alcohol can cause temporary weight gain

• 19shmoo69
    19shmoo69 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Good morning
    My calories were ok, I did a bit of a snack just now but I'll work it off tomorrow. Lol
    I drank coffee all day long. Not the big cups though, now that woukd have been great.
    After work I walked 1.6 miles
    Tomorrow after church I'll have to work on my car and stuff then hopefully run and then gym.
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I'm ready for another awesome month! It's my work weekend so I'm here till 6am and then again Sunday night and into Monday morning.
  • AustinRuadhain
    Options
    Saturday Update
    Food: under, all good choices, stuck with the food I planned and packed EVEN when I went out with friends for drinks after the event
    Exercise: walking

Baseball report:
    Workout Time: 110 minutes (TRIPLE)
    Steps: 11,590 (DOUBLE)

Sunday Plans
    Food and water on plan
    Workout: rest day; outdoor walk this evening
  • embersdream
    Options
    Kres567 wrote: »
    Hey team.
    Insights anyone?
    I’m devastated.

@embersdream - I am sending you the biggest virtual hug right now. I have been exactly where you are at. I am wondering if your scale is wrong? Maybe the batteries are dying? But regardless the week you are menstruating you will go up a lot. How do your clothes feel? That is always a more important sign for me than the scales.

You are doing amazing with your workouts and your calories level is so normal. Do something for yourself today that will make you feel better and strong. Don’t do the diets if it doesn’t make you feel good. Keep doing what makes you feel good.

Please check in later today and let us know how you are.
    @Kres567 hey! Thank you!
    Well the scales have gone back down, not sure what I was thinking weighing on that particular day.
    However truth is I AM higher in lbs than I was which I think is a post Easter slump. First time living w my partner and his extended family came over and everyone gave us chocolate! Despite sharing it out I had way too much of it
    And overall but by bit since my lowest weight since joining this group ( I lost about 6) I have put on 6 since last weigh in and so my SW for this month will be 209 and tomorrow will be check in .
    Lesson to take away? It can happen so fast!! The weight gain if you step off the path. But, we all do from time to time.
    It’s time to just get on with it and aim for a good month of training hard and eating clean .
  • embersdream
    Options
    tess5036 wrote: »
    Hey team.
    Insights anyone?
    I’m devastated.

Firstly, that will not all be true weight gain (fat). To put on a pound of fat takes roughly 3500 calories surplus (well actually slightly more for most people). So, unless you have eaten 35,000 extra calories, then it's not all fat, and I bet you are no where near that, as you haven't been eating at that level of surplus!!!!

I have seen scales change that amount, and its usually a combination of things, I'll list just some of them, I expect several will apply and when combined together may account for a good chunk of that shift in the weight on the scales.

1. If you are doing weights and cardio, you are building muscle, and that requires you to cause microtears in your muscles which then heal stronger. The muscle requires a greater level of fluid retention to repair, this can account for several pounds.

2. If you have eaten more carbs than usual this will increase weight; for every 1 g of carbs you eat, your body will retain approximately 2.9 g of fluid to process it. This can add up quickly

4. If you are stressed or sleeping badly y7ou will stimulate cortisol, which also causes some weight gain (if you want more details let me known, but that is quite complex).

5. At any point in time there will be food and drink in your system, regardless of the calories, this will have a weight, so can increase weight ion the scales. This may also be exacerbated if you haven't been to the bathroom for a while.

6. Are the scales in exactly the same place, a small shift or placing them on the carpet can change the results,. up or down, and by quite a bit. Likewise, if the scales are near a heat source, it can muck up the calibration in some scales. Batteries on the scales may also be worth checking.

8. Illness (of feeling ill which may mean you have a mild virus or infection) also causes temporary weight gain as your body retains fluids to repair itself.

@tess5036 your list is so true! I forgot about the body building muscle repair which would equate to a few pounds. Not much but a few . I am not powerlifting it still 80 kg leg press and 20 kg sumo squats are still reasonably heavy. Definitely feeling the tone increasing in legs and shoulders .
    Thanks for the support
  • embersdream
    Options
    Saturday Update
    Food: under, all good choices, stuck with the food I planned and packed EVEN when I went out with friends for drinks after the event
    Exercise: walking

Baseball report:
    Workout Time: 110 minutes (TRIPLE)
    Steps: 11,590 (DOUBLE)

Sunday Plans
    Food and water on plan
    Workout: rest day; outdoor walk this evening

You are very focused!!! Nothing beats an out door walk . Are you doing this most days?
  • Navydaddjtc
    Options
    WEEK 1 MOD CHALLENGE ....DRINK IT UP
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10742403/week-1-mod-challenge-drink-it-up#latest
    LET'S DRINK TILL WE SHRINK
  • Navydaddjtc
    Options
    THE BASEBALL CHALLENGE HAS COME TO AN END
    I WILL BE TALLYING IT ALL AND WILL POST THE RESULTS LATER
    GREG
  • tess5036
    Options
    tess5036 wrote: »
    Hey team.
    Insights anyone?
    I’m devastated.

@tess5036 your list is so true! I forgot about the body building muscle repair which would equate to a few pounds. Not much but a few . I am not powerlifting it still 80 kg leg press and 20 kg sumo squats are still reasonably heavy. Definitely feeling the tone increasing in legs and shoulders .
    Thanks for the support

It's amazing how a few things can all add up. , and 80kg on leg press is probably enough to do that as its ot just about weight, its also about reps.
  • Kres567
    Kres567 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I've been apart of fat2fit before, but its been over a year. I'm starting again and hopefully for the last time. My goal is to lose 70lbs. Being apart of this challenge makes it possible for me because I'm super competitive and I love the vibe here. Let's make may a great month!

Welcome back!
This discussion has been closed.