Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I think I'm back. Did my half on Sunday and holy cow I was slow - I had to walk a lot because I got wicked calf cramps. Coach is sending me a stronger electrolyte than nuun.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @shanaber I had a 94 average after the exam, yes this class is not online. There’s was bonus on the exam (111/130), and I wish I could see what I missed, but it’s all good. If I get the chance, I’m taking a German class. There isn’t one local, so... maybe someday. I missed the psych final. No worries, I wasn’t going to take it anyway. Just figured since I was done with A&P I’d knock it out. Next nutrition final Thursday.

I made the apple chips. I ate them all. The mandolin is awesome. How have I not gotten one before today? I did have a few chips stick to the foil. They might not have stuck if I waited for them to cool.

Poor baby monster is at the vet to be neutered. The vet phoned. “Uh oh”, I keep telling dh everything would be fine now I’ll have to hear “told ya so”. He needs neutered so he won’t be a roaming Tom cat and it’ll reduce his cancer risk, he’ll be a healthier cat. The little guy has an un-descended testicle, so they have to make an incision to find it. Still fine, it’ll just looks scary and costs extra. So ya know, he really needed to be fixed. Can’t just leave that in there to get twisted or try to pass on to offspring or get cancer.

Guess I’ll make some egg bites for lunch. I’m hungry and am trying to wait it out some. Sure it’s because I had so much cake yesterday.

I hadn't even heard of a mandolin until I started looking for ways to use my extra apples - other than the musical instrument, that is. I ate my entire first batch, too. Then I got the very last chip in the second batch (which I shared with friends) because Minnesotans are incapable of eating the last anything. Don't worry, I'd taken some for myself before sharing them around. Also, I used parchment paper and didn't get any stickies in either batch. I slid them into a bowl and let them dry there because I don't have anywhere to set a baking sheet to dry where the cats won't get at it.

aa4wfeqgjnuu.jpg
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    .... prior to the picture above.... my only experience with baking + apples = sugar.... so using those words as a “something other than sugar” doesn’t really compute.... and now I just want apple betty.

I put some sugar on the second batch but I'm not sure it added anything. The apples are pretty sweet already and it's not like their taste is being diluted with a bunch of other stuff the way it would in a different recipe.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq thanks for the parchment paper tip. The apples don't need sugar like you said, they are suprisingly very sweet. Even with cinnamon on them I figured they'd be a bit bitter, but they weren't at all.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I ordered in breakfast again this morning. Sigh. And skipped last night's run because my good ankle felt weird. Except I think it's just stiffness. I have a physio assessment today anyway. Maybe they can un-*kitten* my calf muscles, which are ridiculously tight since Sunday.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @sarahthes - I hope the physiological can get your ankle and calves feeling better!

On the apple discussion... Have you all heard of Bare Fruit? Not sure where they are available. We used to get them at Costco but I haven't seen them in a while. They make apple chips (with and without the cinnamon) from all different kinds of apples. So Good!

I am doing ok with food but having terrible stomach problems especially when running. It is not unusual for me to have occasional issues but this is worse than normal. I am thinking it is from the antibiotics which I haven't had to take in years. I am finished with them now so hoping things will get better (before Saturday Please!!).
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,969 Member
    Options
    @shanaber I hope the antibiotics were the culprit and your tummy will be better by Saturday!
  • shanaber
    Options
    Thanks @quilteryoyo - I was off all day yesterday after my run, not hungry at all and even took a nap midday. Feel great so far this morning though so maybe it was a 24hr bug or something.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @shanaber I don’t know the brand, but have seen freeze dried fruit with zero preserves. I’ve picked them up occasionally but they are expensive, 4$ for what equates to 2 apples.

Think I’ll make some more apples today.

I tried carrots on mandolin because I wanted a tv snack. It was not the easiest thing to do. Great tv snack though. Dh has a meeting tonight and is responsible for the food. He’s taking sandwich stuff, and thought the mandolin might slice his tomatoes and onion, ya! Funny because he wasn’t for getting it but now sees the value.

Dh bought European style bacon. No idea what to use it for, unless we have beans left... mmm, beans. He also brought home potato chips. I’m at so many yesterday just for the salty crunch. Dough-dough head.

What are you eating today?
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I am trying to make boxed risotto because my cook has a migraine but I don’t know how to tell if something is simmering or not. Wish me luck!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    I did horrible today. Like record horrible. No idea what’s up with that. Hormones maybe. So many potato chips and apple sauce and cheese and chips with cheese.

Least when I was active I could walk, run or bike it off some.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options

Edit: oops meant to put this in the running thread!
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    @elise4270 im glad I’m not alone. I did pizza for lunch, which bit back in the form of pizza burps on my run, and has now evolved to basic everlasting heartburn.... not to mention the calories. And sodium, scale will not approve in the morning.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Dh brought leftovers home from his meeting and there are 3 packages of cookies and 2 more bags of chips. Ugh.

I’m gonna chalk this up to; 1 being hungry with no plan, and 2 not realizing I need to eat real food instead of snacking all the time.
    So tomorrow, I need to cook some real food. No idea what that is yet. I haven’t even logged the crap I ate today. It’s likely 3-4 times what i should have had and zero on the nutrition scale.
    @hanlonsk hope the heartburn subsides soon.
  • shanaber
    Options
    I didn't eat enough today and now at 10:30 I am starving... had my usual good breakfast and we headed out to where my race is this weekend about 3 hours from home. Had a snack in the car, went for a walk with the pup and DH wanted a light snack but not dinner (yet). So I got a charcuterie plate and he got a pizza. I honestly thought we were going to get dinner but then he was full and didn't want anything more. I just ate a banana I brought with us. Might have a tangerine or part of a protein bar... I also have half the charcuterie plate in our little hotel fridge. I really don't like eating this late. maybe I will just go to bed and have a good breakfast in the morning.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @shanaber my dh will do stuff like that too. I plan meals and he wants to pass. If he wants to eat and I’m not hungry, I oblige a meal and eat light. Pizza for a snack is a meal 😏, I think he wanted pizza. Stinker.
    ————————————————————

No plans today as to what I’m eating, only what I’m not eating. Should be fun.

I did 27 minutes yesterday on the trainer and regret it. I think i shouldn’t be doing it at all. I pushed through some pain that was warning pain, not just “oh your grumpy” sorta pain. Maybe I’m eating like a pig because this is getting me. I bet swimming won’t hurt since I can swim with only my upper body. Should swim, maybe not water walk yet. Today’s a “two steps back” kinda day.

Guess I’m going to clean the kitchen (maybes hip does hurt), and see what goodies I can throw into the IP. I think there’s maybe chicken cacciatore stuff, sans pasta.

Today is the day I do better.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Not so great today. I ate 4 cookies. What the heck will power?
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    I am going to be driving to FL next week. It takes me about 12 hours, so I take 2 days to go since I am driving alone. I used to be able to do that all in one day, but not anymore. Anyway, I always take snacks to eat while I am driving. I get sleepy and eating helps to keep me awake and alert. I usually take cheese and crackers, protein bars, and family sized bags of cheddar cheese popcorn. It's the latter that gets me in trouble. Do you have any ideas for healthier foods I could snack on while I am driving?
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @quilteryoyo maybe some apple slices, cuties, nuts if you can have them, plenty of water. I’ve been doing apples if I’m snacky, it’s hard to over do it calorie wise with fruit. All the fiber also helps with the inactivity and potential constipation.

———————————————
    Dh got a new grill that is a flat surface. He loves it and cooked the European bacon and eggs on it. He didn’t like the bacon. I liked it. So at least I’m off to a fat start this morning and not a sugar start. I noticed it seems overnight dh ate two packages of cookies, Yay!

I sucked it up and got on the scale. It’s not horrible, but seeing the number is likely to keep me on track. I’m up ~3-5 pounds from March (surgery). I’m hoping some of this is pms.

I found new things to study between classes. Maybe that’ll keep me from over snacking. Monday the baby monster goes back to the vet. He seems fine but have developed a fluid filled bump on the back of his hip. I’m concerned it’s a hematoma/serous from removing the undecended testicle. We’ll see. He is unphased if I rub it. I’ll try to make pool time.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @Elise4270 Thanks. I love apples and nuts. I forgot that I usually take nuts, but don't eat them because, well, I'm stuffing my mouth with the popcorn. LOL
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @Elise4270 Three pounds isn't bad! I can fluctuate that much overnight. Well, on the way up. Takes a lot longer on the way down. LOL