WAISTAWAYS TEAM CHAT - JUNE 2019

Options

Replies

• evangsimmons170
    evangsimmons170 Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Perla4686 wrote: »
    I've recently switched back to eating more carbs (never cut them out, just had less bread, pasta, etc) as I was suffering from mild hypoglycemia. My doctor checked me over and said it's all normal but suggested I found a better balance. So I've started including more carbs again (Weetabix in the morning, more fruit and a little bread) and feel much better but now I'm so hungry all the time (and overeat most days). I'm wondering if the hunger could have anything to do with changes to my diet? Or is it unrelated? Any insight?

I'm not a medical doctor, but one thing I discovered about myself years ago that may be helpful to you, @Perla4686, is that I can only eat whole grain breads, pastas, and rice. If eat the regular versions of these things, I crash so bad, so fast. I mean it gets really bad. Like one minute I'm up and talking, the next minute I'm sound asleep like a legally drugged kinda sleep. But the whole grains give me the carbs I need and keep my blood sugars balanced. I don't crash and burn anymore. And no, I'm not diabetic or pre-diabetic. I just can't handle the carb overload that enriched white breads, pastas, and rice deliver.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Andreabroadley
    Andreabroadley Posts: 5,455 Member
    Options
    The book I mentioned is "The Last 15" by Joey Shulman.
  • evangsimmons170
    evangsimmons170 Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    BMcC9 wrote: »
    The question of your personal WHY is a very powerful one. And yes, it is amazing how much we don't want to admit (even to ourselves) a WHY that doesn't fit "social expectations" or "political correctness".

I will have to save more the more personal aspects of my answer for later - but I think that we have to honestly admit that whatever the actual root - it will be some form of "selfish" doing-this-for-me if it is going to stick. If it doesn't somehow tie back to that, you will eventually rebel or drift away, or something else with a higher personal priority will subtly take over your efforts.

A seemingly surface "social expectation" sticker might still LOOK like it applies ... like "I am doing this to be a role-model for my children" .... but that actually ties back to "selfishly getting a positive-reinforcement rush from actively teaching them to naturally and automatically turn to health-living choices in all areas of their lives - and seeing the payoff"

Maslov's Hierarchy of Needs. The highest level, self-actualization. But to GET to that level, your own more direct basic needs have to be met (or mostly met).

Thoughts on my take on the theoretical side? More on the personal "as applies to BMcC9" practical application side later.

It DOES include the "selfishness" of clothing aesthetics .... and also the practicality of no longer being afraid that I will have changed pattern sizes between the time the I cut out a sewing project, and the time I finish hemming it ....

I love how you incorporated Maslov's Hierarchy of Needs! (I minored in psych as an undergrad and grad student.) And yes, I totally agree with your theoretical perspective. I'm also impressed that you sew! I'm actually a certified dressmaker, although I haven't had time to sew since becoming a school administrator. But I absolutely love sewing. The options are endless, and you can truly create a signature look all your own. As much as I love to sew, I absolutely hate making alterations. I hate it so much that I don't do them, even on my own clothes. I'd rather start from scratch. And if you need a size smaller, how exciting is that to have to make something new for the new you?! Hats off to ya! :smiley:
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,438 Member
    Options
    The book I mentioned is "The Last 15" by Joey Shulman.

Just checked .... it IS in my public library
  • Navydaddjtc
    Navydaddjtc Posts: 4,166 Member
    Options
    HEY THERE WAISTAWAYS JUMP ON OVER AND SUPPORT THIS POSTING FOR THE GROUP
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10750243/july-2019-fat2fit-weight-loss-challenge-support-group/p1?new=1
    COME ON LETS PROMOTE OUR GROUP AND KICK THE OTHER TO THE CURB..
  • Pearl4686
    Pearl4686 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I've recently switched back to eating more carbs (never cut them out, just had less bread, pasta, etc) as I was suffering from mild hypoglycemia. My doctor checked me over and said it's all normal but suggested I found a better balance. So I've started including more carbs again (Weetabix in the morning, more fruit and a little bread) and feel much better but now I'm so hungry all the time (and overeat most days). I'm wondering if the hunger could have anything to do with changes to my diet? Or is it unrelated? Any insight?

I'm not a medical doctor, but one thing I discovered about myself years ago that may be helpful to you, @Perla4686, is that I can only eat whole grain breads, pastas, and rice. If eat the regular versions of these things, I crash so bad, so fast. I mean it gets really bad. Like one minute I'm up and talking, the next minute I'm sound asleep like a legally drugged kinda sleep. But the whole grains give me the carbs I need and keep my blood sugars balanced. I don't crash and burn anymore. And no, I'm not diabetic or pre-diabetic. I just can't handle the carb overload that enriched white breads, pastas, and rice deliver.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm not diabetic or pre-diabetic but my grandad and dad became dietetic in their 60's so I'm wary of it. I have hypothyroidism, not sure if that makes a difference.
  • Navydaddjtc
    Navydaddjtc Posts: 4,166 Member
    Options
    HEHEHEHEHE I AM BACK AT IT AGAIN
    JUMP ON OVER AND SUPPORT THIS POSTING FOR THE GROUP
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10750247/july-2019-fat2fit-weight-loss-challenge-support-group/p1?new=1
    COME ON LETS PROMOTE OUR GROUP AND KICK THE OTHER TO THE CURB..
  • Andreabroadley
    Andreabroadley Posts: 5,455 Member
    Options
    The why question is definitely a good one to ponder, I agree. Even if you can't quite nail it perfectly. Not sure I have, but the ideas below have kept me going this year.

One of the meditations I have been doing this year is basically about being kinder to our bodies. I have found it helpful in that it one of the spoken elements in the meditation is "my body is my friend, my companion in life". I realized that I needed to treat my body as well as I treat my other friends.
  • Connie7355
    Connie7355 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    @evangsimmons170 thank you so much!! You are an inspiration to me as well and like you, I am hoping to walk my way out of the other two BP meds!! We can do this!!
  • zlauerMom
    zlauerMom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Wow, @zlauerMom. What a deeply motivating story about your WHY. I'm sorry you lost your mom, but I'm glad that you're using that experience as a catalyst to be the healthiest you you can be. I'm also 50. My dad died when I was 17 and he was 42. (No that's not a typo.) He was morbidly obese, even after losing 150+ lbs. It was just too little too late. Like you, I tried to use that as a motivator for myself, considering the fact that I've struggled with my weight ALL of my life. But that didn't last. Time has a way of dulling the senses and the memories. My dad has been gone now for nearly 33 years; he never got to see the adult version of me. One motivator I have now from having gone through that loss (and I was a true blue Daddy's girl) is that even though I don't weigh even close to his lowest weight by the time of his death, I am still in the same medical category as he was: morbidly obese. And that just doesn't bode well with me, to say the least. In this half of my life, I want to leave a new legacy. Heretofore, I have absolutely NEVER been thin or even a healthy weight, except at birth, and I guess that doesn't count. Even when I lost 70 pounds 14 years ago, I was still overweight although I looked and felt amazing. I'm determined to find out what it feels like to shop on the "misses" side of the store. I was almost there before, but it didn't last long enough.

To the new Us! :smiley:

rereading my post, I see I wasn't fair to my mom. She was a truly amazing lady- very generous with her heart and her volunteerism. She volunteered in the chaplain's office at a local hospital and also for Hospice. All these years later, I still miss her terribly, which is probably why it is such and effective motivation for me.

I, too, never got out of the overweight range, but when you start out over 250 pounds, 20 pounds overweight feels pretty freakin' ideal to me. :wink:
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,213 Member
    Options

You are singing my song. When I was working hard to lose, I tried all different balances of the macros (protein, carbs, fat). And different kinds of those things (plant vs meat, grains vs veg or legumes, etc.). It is really interesting!

The best way I found not to feel hungry all the time, and to keep myself on an even keel, is no grain (or very little). I get plenty of carbs from whole vegetables, legumes, fruits, and seeds. I have tons of vegetables, some fruits, and a moderate amount of legumes - that really seems to work for me as sources of carbs. Grains make me feel weird (accelerated heart rate) or digest badly (feel like lead in my stomach). Sometimes having brown rice or quinoa (which is not a grain, but a seed) works ok, and I have occasional grains, but in general feel best without any at all. If you are hungry, try to eat the most fibre possible. Avoid flour, cereal, pasta, but have the whole thing (vegetables, fruits, legumes). It is really filling, you can eat like a crazy person, and it has less impact on blood sugar. See if that helps. Good luck!
  • jugar
    Options
    @jugar...I was inputting my stats on the beat your best spreadsheet and noticed that we have a newcomer this week whose totals are not included in the "total" formula for either team. I don't know which team he or she is on, but their username is @shockvalue07.

Thanks! She is on the Workout Warriors, and I'll check the formulas on the spreadsheet. She didn't show up last week, so I'll make sure it is all working. We are more even now - we have 5 team members, and they have 4 now. Cool!

By the way, the "beat your best" and the "game on" are two different things. This one is the "game on" challenge between our two teams. It is confusing!
  • jugar
    Options
    Sorry I've been down with a horrible Kidney infection so I've not really been all the ball with weigh in and also eating.
    I just weighed and I'm 189lbs.

So good to hear from you! We had put you on the (very sad) "drop list" because you did not weigh in for 2 weeks in a row. This is good! You are back! Let me know if you'd like to stick with the team, and how we can help you as you recover. A kidney infection sounds like no fun at all. Hugs to you!
  • jugar
    Options
    I am blown away by the beautiful discussion going around WHY. @zlauerMom - what a story. It is so difficult when someone we love, and who has such great potential, has terrible blind spots. Let's all lose our blind spots as much as we can - that's a great WHY right there. @Terytha - fear often wears off as a motivation. Do you have some positive WHYs for yourself? Not to make your husband's life easier, but what about for you? I hope the rest of the team shares these stories about their answer to the question why. It is inspiring, and more authentic than many of the motivational kinds of posts that have a lovely effect but might not last. Thanks again, @evangsimmons170
This discussion has been closed.