New To EM2WL? Introduce Yourself Here!

Replies

• leah660
    leah660 Posts: 15 Member
    I am trying to loose 25 pounds and am just trying to eat better and looking for help. I don't want to feel like I'm starving all the time either. Thanks for letting me join.

Leah
  • Madison9776
    Madison9776 Posts: 52 Member
    Hi! I recently started using myfitnesspal again and am here for support. I want to lose about 60lbs. After I started tracking my food I realized that I'm probably not eating enough relative to the number of calories I burn each day so this group seemed like a perfect place to be.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Hi! I recently started using myfitnesspal again and am here for support. I want to lose about 60lbs. After I started tracking my food I realized that I'm probably not eating enough relative to the number of calories I burn each day so this group seemed like a perfect place to be.

You are at a point that 2lbs weekly would be reasonable, but only for 10 more lbs.

And only if you kept the deficit at 1000 daily by correctly logging workouts and picking the correct activity level.

In other words - not creating more deficit since that is max for only a short period of time.

If you don't want to push the safe line, you can of course have smaller deficit, but that first 10 lbs would be the safest anyway at least.
  • vkeafer
    vkeafer Posts: 1 Member
    Hi, I am Vikki. I have been eating around 1200-1300 calories per day for years and very satisfied doing so. I am pretty active getting between 10,000 - 17,000 steps in a normal day and upwards of 20,000 on the weekend. Cardio is my love. I have been gaining weight or staying stagnant for about the last 9-11 months. I understand that as we age, we need to change up what we are doing to achieve results. I saw a nutritionist yesterday who did some metabolic testing and found that my metabolism is fairly high. Doesn't that mean that I should be losing weight with the whole input/output theory? I eat a fairly clean diet with good complex carbs, etc. Of course the occasional pizza night here or there and a glass of wine (4-5oz) a couple times per week, and yes, I track that too. But overall, great diet and exercise program. The recommendation was that I needed to eat more calories. MORE? I am satisfied with my normal intake... not hungry, why do I need more? She explained that she feels that my body is experiencing a "starvation" mode of sorts and that until I begin feeding it more, I will not see any results. She wants me to be between 1500-1800 per day. UGH! Hard to wrap my head around to be honest, but I came across the title of this group and thought I would check it out. Any advice or suggestions of similar issues would be great to glean some perils of wisdom from your experiences. Looking forward to connecting and sharing.
  • heybales
    If you are that active (unless baby steps) - then I'd bet you are not actually eating anywhere near 1200-1300 in reality.

You may think you are - but that's inaccurate logging - you are almost assuredly eating more.
    Do you weigh everything you eat - because calories is per gram, not cup or spoon. (except most liquids)

The problem with starting out eating bare minimum is exactly what you are seeing - you have no place to go when adjustments are needed, even though eating more than 1200.

Metabolic adaptation to undereating is body slowing you down - if it can't do that to conserve needed calories, it'll grow hair and nails slower, replace skin less often, that sort of thing.
    If it needs to conserve even more, it'll slow down your basal metabolism.
    If more needed, some natural things occur to conserve, like loss of muscle mass.

You say you had test that showed metabolism higher than expected.

What was that test, and did you know you were having it to prep for it?

There is a difference between you feeling full, and your body being fully fed.
    Just as vitamin/mineral deficiency doesn't show up until after some time with ill effects, sometimes with difficulty recovering if at all - the ill effects of caloric deficiency greater than needed for fat loss are bad too.

I'd suggest first really nail your logging accurately if you haven't been weighing everything - discover how much you are really eating.

Then get a decent estimate of what full burning metabolism maintenance could be for your level of activity.

Some discover that merely eating 100-200 more causes body to be more active, burning the same amount, or even more - and they maintain or start losing weight. Workouts become better actually asking the body to make changes, ect.

Studies have shown taking a diet break does wonders too, slowly going up to what could be maintenance level for weeks to allow recoup. Or the studies that have shown some days at maintenance eating level mixed with some days at diet level have great results.
  • whichwayagain
    whichwayagain Posts: 1 Member
    Hello, my name is Joe! Born in Ar. But moved to Va. Beach with my wife and daughter. Previous Navy family, got out at 230# and after years of weighing so much I dropped to 186# but had a medical issue which lead to me increasing back to 200#. Can’t seem to drop below my plateau and seeking advice! I strength train 4 to 5days a week and do about 20 mins of Liss. Thank you all in advance!
  • heybales
    Hello, my name is Joe! Born in Ar. But moved to Va. Beach with my wife and daughter. Previous Navy family, got out at 230# and after years of weighing so much I dropped to 186# but had a medical issue which lead to me increasing back to 200#. Can’t seem to drop below my plateau and seeking advice! I strength train 4 to 5days a week and do about 20 mins of Liss. Thank you all in advance!

Have you had a diet break in awhile (even though you might think the results say that already), it can be useful.

How big a deficit, or rate of loss, were you doing before it seemed to stop?
  • lorene79
    lorene79 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi! I'm Lorene. I am 40 years old. I am new to this group. I have dieted my whole life, starting with WW at 12 years old. I lost about 35 pounds in the last year and a half, but it was not in a healthy way, went through a traumatic experience and just couldn't eat. I have about 10 pounds left to lose, but want to tone, incorporate good habits, and get healthy, while showing my 15 year old daughter how to love herself the way she is, and not looking at others for approval. I am not on FB for personal reasons, so I feel like I am missing out on some things. I have a crazy sweet tooth and love me some pizza...not all the time, but when I do...watch out!
  • CarebearK22
    CarebearK22 Posts: 2 Member
    Hello my name is Keshia. I am working on becoming the best me this year. I am a mother of an 18 month old, a wife, and a full time student online. I work at a sedentary job. I am in Alabama. Joining to have other to inspire and motivate me.
  • heybales
    Hello my name is Keshia. I am working on becoming the best me this year. I am a mother of an 18 month old, a wife, and a full time student online. I work at a sedentary job. I am in Alabama. Joining to have other to inspire and motivate me.

Just keep in mind that you may have a sedentary desk job - but with a kid your daily activity is not sedentary, that would be Lightly-Active on MFP.
    Prior to any exercise entering the picture.

Great goals
  • JennyFran
    JennyFran Posts: 2 Member
    Hi! My name is Jennifer. I have been yo-yo dieting for years, trying endlessly to slim down. I have managed to achieve my goal several times, only to gain some or all of it back in the end. I’m currently eating about 1400 calories a day (recently increased his from 1200-1250 while on ww for a few months). I haven’t lost any weight for a few weeks. I seem to have stalled. I currently workout 3 times a week. One Zumba class (1 hour) and 2 toning/boot camp classes a week (45 minutes each). I have seen some improvement in my strength over he last few weeks, as I’m consistently able to increase my weight when lifting, however I am always hungry and no longer losing any weight. I’m going to try this plan out for 8 weeks eating at my TDEE. My question is, when I calculate my TDEE do I need to take into consideration my 3 workouts a week? If so it tells me my TDEE should be 2156. Does this make sense? I would appreciate any feedback you can offer, so I can ensure I’m on the right track. Also, can I keep up with my current workouts during this process? Thanks 😊💪🏼
  • heybales
    Have you been using MFP as designed as a tool - meaning because of the workouts you only eat the 1400 on non-workout days?
    On workout days you correctly eat more?

And did you select Sedentary but you are a mother or have household duties keeping you busy in evening - then actually lightly-active.

The "T" in TDEE means TOTAL - includes everything - so of course workouts have to count.

And if you stopped working out - that would not longer be your TDEE - so of course keep the workouts up.

This is about taking a diet break, eating at maintenance as best you can - not stopping the workouts.

The TDEE tables only consider exercise - not increased daily activity - what is your daily activity (not just job) outside of exercise?
  • Grimmerdhore
    Grimmerdhore Posts: 64 Member
    Good morning, I'm new here and I don't have a fitbit. I currently weigh 322 pounds and want to lose 137 pounds. I've lost 8.5 pounds on my first check-in, so I'm excited about continuing that downward trend. The doctor told me I needed to reduce my carbs and sugars, so I'm working on it. I've eliminated all candy and sweets (never thought I would do that), and am reducing my carb intake little by little. But I already see I need to find new ways of eating so I'm not hungry all the time.
  • mtngirlzrock
    mtngirlzrock Posts: 6 Member
    Hello!! I'm Laura I've just joined the group. No fitbit but I'll figure something out! Needing someone on the same page as I am for support and accountability.
  • heybales
    No need for a Fitbit - just have to track averages then to discern if estimate of daily calorie burn is close to decent.

I'll mention that vast majority that get a tracker with desk jobs and families discover they are NOT Sedentary on MFP, but Lightly-Active because of evening and weekend levels. And this is even before exercise is correctly added.

Many undereat without even knowing by too much when they start adding a deficit.
    Makes a reset about impossible when you think you are eating at maintenance but still at deficit.
  • minniemouse45m4333
    minniemouse45m4333 Posts: 48 Member
    Hi. My name is Maegaret.I hav had some serious health problems over tje past 18 months and lost 70 lbswithout trying. I have always had a weight issues so with suchagood start, I want to loose another 20 lbs. I'm finding that trying is harder then I rememberand I need guidance.
  • heybales
    You'll want to review some of the stickies for this group pertaining to selecting a reasonable deficit or rate of loss for the amount left to lose.

While your avg loss rate of less than 1 lb weekly is good, I'm betting it was much faster at the beginning than at the end.

Now - if that was because of purposeful changes by you to cause it to slow down - great job.
    If that was because the body adapted and made it happen despite your attempts to keep it going fast - not great effect. Likely muscle mass.

At this point, attempting a reset and then getting to a 250 deficit afterwards would be about right.
    Resistance training to keep the muscle you have remaining very important too - especially if health problems.

Or by trying you mean the whole watching what you eat diet requirement?

In that case - a diet break is useful too for mere mental release - though required to still keep an eye on things.
  • minecraftwizard1011
    minecraftwizard1011 Posts: 8 Member
    Hi everyone! I am joining because though I am not obese, I feel disgusted with how I look and would like some support
  • dmcmillan74
    dmcmillan74 Posts: 11 Member
    Good morning. I'm Dawayne. I go by D or Mac. I'm 45 and trying to get back in shape to avoid diabetes, high blood pressure and other diseases as much as possible
  • sgtpeper
    sgtpeper Posts: 19 Member
    HI, I am Joe from New Jersey. I lost 105 pounds. Need to shed 20 more and having a hard time. Been the same weight for 1 year. Go to the gym 4 to 5 times a week. Need help! Thanks