TEAM: The Big Butt Theory (August)

Options
AB0215
AB0215 Posts: 7,141 Member
Welcome to the Challenge new and returning teammates!! This is the conversation/weigh in thread for your Team :) Keep on losing because our first weigh ins begin THIS Sunday! I am here for you should you need anything - simply message me or tag me by putting an '@' just before my username (NO SPACES) and I will get to you asap! ~ Ashley @AB0215.

Replies

• goodreadsgal
    goodreadsgal Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Hi there thanks for the add. Hoping this challenge will help in my goal to lose approximately 100 pounds. I have lost 13 so far
  • HASWLRS
    HASWLRS Posts: 7,997 Member
    Options
    Hi there thanks for the add. Hoping this challenge will help in my goal to lose approximately 100 pounds. I have lost 13 so far

@goodreadsgal, every journey starts with a single step. Congratulations on taking the first 13!!
  • HASWLRS
    Options
    Hello, team The Big Butt Theory! Welcome to August and a special welcome to the newcomers! Please take a moment to introduce yourselves to the team, and tell us a little bit about your goals for the month.

Hi, my name is Lisa, a long time member of team The Big Butt Theory, and I am your captain for August along with Pam, @pkg1998. I am 53, a Canadian living in Southwestern Ontario, married 27 years and have two grown sons.

Being involved with this group helps to at least keep my head above water, when I am struggling!! If you are struggling, it can help you, too. So, the more you interact, the more you will feel the team's support.

A little about this challenge.....it runs Sunday to Saturday. Post your weigh-in on this thread on your chosen weigh-in day. If you need to miss a weigh-in, let me know. If you forget to post a weigh-in, post as soon as you remember, up until Saturday evening. (I'd say Saturday at midnight, EDT, but I am not up that late!) Please post a weight even if you have gained. There is no judgement here, only support, and it happens to all of us at some point!! If you miss two weigh-ins, you will be removed from the month and will have to re-register for the next month if you wish to continue.

Yes, this is a weight loss challenge, but I would like you to think of it more as a support group. Sometimes, you can do all the right things, but the scale just doesn't move. If you have taken measurements you will be able to see that you are making progress, just not contributing to the team's weight loss. But we don't want you to despair, or leave, if this happens, thus the focus on the "support" aspect!

We are all here for the same reason....to lose weight and get healthy. Some days will go better than others....weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint, after all!! But with the support of this team, and some hard work, we can all make it to the finish line!

Have a great August everyone!!
  • HASWLRS
    Options
    Hello again, team TBBT. The August Challenge doesn't officially start until Sunday, July 28th, but I thought I'd give you some more information so that you can be ready to jump in with both feet! Within the main weight loss challenge we have another optional, but highly recommended, challenge. It is called the Mini Ultimate Accountability Challenge, or the Mini Challenge. It is based on another MFP challenge group by the same name, or UAC.

The way it works is simple:

1. Log everything you eat that has calories in MFP.
    2. Stay inside your allotted daily calorie budget.
    3. Do at least 20 minutes of activity daily. This could be anything that gets you off the couch and being active: run, walk, cycle, swim, gardening, housework, yoga, gym, etc.
    4. Report each day on this thread (something to the effect of logged food: yes, under calories: yes, exercise: yes, and a brief description is nice)

****When you post your accountability, please put the date, or the day of the week to which you are referring. We are all in different time zones, and some people post in the evening for that day, and others post the next morning, so it gets confusing trying to decipher without a day or date. Thanks!!!*****

You get one free pass day a week (went over calories, could not log food, rest day, etc.) At the end of the week, if you have managed to be "accountable" (three yes's) for at least 6 of 7 days, you will be recognized on this thread as being in the Winner's Circle!

This strategy works for weight loss because it is based on CI<CO. When calories in are less than calories out, you stay inside your allotted daily calorie budget, and you will lose weight! And exercise is just good for you, plus it will burn calories and help with the calories out portion of the equation!

What's great about this challenge is that it works for everyone, as long as you are honest with yourself. There are no dietary restrictions, so you can eat whatever you like, and follow whatever plan you like. Your own daily calorie budget is set by you and MFP and you choose your own exercise and intensity of exercise! Plus it is a practice that can be carried beyond weight loss into maintenance! If you are having a bad week, a new week and a fresh start is just around the corner!

Consistency and new habits have been shown to be the keys to long term successful weight loss. Why not make the Mini Ultimate Accountability Challenge your new habit, that you do consistently!!

Week #1 for the Mini Challenge starts Sunday, July 28th!
  • DomDeadlifts
    DomDeadlifts Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the add!
    My name is Dominique and I am currently looking to lose approximately 20 pounds to be in the 140’s. To earn this goal I plan on eating less and exercising more. I am hoping to also work more on my nutrition and eat better foods. I have done a biggest loser challenge before and had a lot of success so I am hoping to do the same this time!
    My current weight is 164 and I would like to get down to about 158 over the course of this month.
  • HASWLRS
    Options
    Thanks for the add!
    My name is Dominique and I am currently looking to lose approximately 20 pounds to be in the 140’s. To earn this goal I plan on eating less and exercising more. I am hoping to also work more on my nutrition and eat better foods. I have done a biggest loser challenge before and had a lot of success so I am hoping to do the same this time!
    My current weight is 164 and I would like to get down to about 158 over the course of this month.

@DomDeadlifts, welcome, Dominique! Sounds like you know what you have to do to achieve your goals. Hoping this Biggest Loser Challenge is just the push you need to get started!!
  • justakygirl
    justakygirl Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hello, thanks for adding me. I am excited about being part of this challenge. My name is Scherita, I'm married with three adult kids. I have struggled with my weight since my last child 18 years ago. I've been on and off the diet roller coaster since then. I've had many successes, but the weight would come back with emotional eating and binge eating. And since my hysterectomy in 2009 it just seems harder and harder. However, I pressed on and have lost 48.2 lbs from my highest weight of 214. I wanted to be 140 by my birthday July 30th, but somehow lost momentum. I'm still 25.8 lbs away. I'm turning 40 and don't want to be constantly focusing on my weight anymore. I want to start living my life on my terms. My goal for this challenge is to get out of the 160s.
  • HASWLRS
    Options
    Hello, thanks for adding me. I am excited about being part of this challenge. My name is Scherita, I'm married with three adult kids. I have struggled with my weight since my last child 18 years ago. I've been on and off the diet roller coaster since then. I've had many successes, but the weight would come back with emotional eating and binge eating. And since my hysterectomy in 2009 it just seems harder and harder. However, I pressed on and have lost 48.2 lbs from my highest weight of 214. I wanted to be 140 by my birthday July 30th, but somehow lost momentum. I'm still 25.8 lbs away. I'm turning 40 and don't want to be constantly focusing on my weight anymore. I want to start living my life on my terms. My goal for this challenge is to get out of the 160s.

@justakygirl, welcome Scherita! Milestone birthdays are great motivators to make us want to lose the weight!! Congratulations on losing the first 48 pounds already....less than half to go!! Maybe you won't reach your goal by the time you turn 40, but you can still reach it while you are 40!!
  • Ar_cervantes
    Ar_cervantes Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! My name is Amanda, I’m 29 years old, married with 2 Great Dane fur babies. Currently on a mission to loose 35 pounds by January. My goal for August is to stay consistent and loose 7 pounds!
  • HASWLRS
    Options
    Hi everyone! My name is Amanda, I’m 29 years old, married with 2 Great Dane fur babies. Currently on a mission to loose 35 pounds by January. My goal for August is to stay consistent and loose 7 pounds!

@Ar_cervantes, welcome, Amanda! Good luck with your goals; hope we can help you stay on track!!
  • annabananamc
    annabananamc Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the new folks! I joined this group last month and it has helped me SO MUCH! I am in the midst of transitioning from bigger house in MD to empty nest small bungalow in FL. Through it all I didn't want to get lost in fast food drive through land, and the team helps me stay accountable. I am 58 yrs old, post menopausal and just getting back to healthy active lifestyle after a 5 year doldrum. Staying in the group for August because it has more pitfalls waiting, and I need the support! I weigh in on Thursdays
  • LMK02020
    LMK02020 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I’m joining again. What a great group of positive and encouraging people!
  • jlbtnc
    jlbtnc Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the group. My name is Jennifer, I have been here since March with struggling over the past couple months. I want to make August a better month and really get back my focus and stop the stressful eating. I am still hanging in there but it does get harder each day. I wish everyone much success at reaching your goals!
  • pkg1998
    pkg1998 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the newcomers to the group. I’m Pam, co-captain, and here to support everyone in their weight loss and get some encouragement and tips for my own. Excited about a new month starting although I’m starting with a vacation so not sure my first week will be too good.

Final day of last week’s mini challenge (didn’t get a chance to post before the discussion was closed):
    Saturday, 7/27/19

Tracking: no
    Under: absolutely not
    Exercise: surprisingly did get some exercise walking around Hot Springs yesterday.

Not a great start to vacation food-wise (poor choices), but had a great day with the family. Going to a condo today so will be able to cook my own food so it should make it better.
  • HASWLRS
    Options
    On deck for a Monday weigh-in:

@Ar_cervantes, @Caronell, @goodreadsgal, @heaz10 and @lozenger1984

This is your weigh-in for week #1 of the August Challenge.
  • Caronell
    Caronell Posts: 43 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Hi newbies. I'm Carrie, 44 years, living in the UK. It's my second month in the group. It's great here, better than I anticipated. Everyone so supportive, not least of all our fabulous leader Lisa who is inspiring in her ability to engage members. I just found out that I was the biggest loser in July (yay!) and I absolutely know I would not have got the results I achieved without this group. The daily accountability challenge has proven a great focus for me, leading to weekly results. I'm sure my weight loss will slow down but I'm staying with the group to stay on track. My personal goals are to look fabulous in my wedding gown in November and to achieve a BMI of 25 by end of September, which is when I next see my surgeon to discuss post breast cancer reconstruction.

Good luck for August everyone cxx
  • Caronell
    Caronell Posts: 43 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Sun challenge

Tracking: yes
    Calories: yes
    Exercise: yes 30 mins treadmill/4.5kms then 30 mins kettlebells - getting it in whilst I can

I'm oncall for emergencies (I'm an anaesthesiology resident) for the next four days which basically means I get up, drive to work, put in a 13 hour shift then drive home and go to bed, by which time I'm usually brain dead. I'm toying with the idea of getting up 30 mins early each morning to do a short run or kettlebell class but realistically I don't think it will happen! And past experience tells me that Thursday night may involve excessive amounts of ice cream. I'll try to be good but I'm making no promises!!! Carrie xx
  • ethelsmommy
    ethelsmommy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi, this is my first challenge, and I'm trying to lose a total of 50 pounds for a goal weight of 175 lbs. (I'm currently 224 lbs) I am struggling--menopause combined with a sluggish thyroid--but I am committed to seeing this through. Good luck to all my teammates in August!
  • HASWLRS
    Options
    @abowersgirl, absolutely wacky sleep and eating schedules and stress could be affecting the scales. As far as weighing at different times of day, go ahead and experiment. Accumulate a lot of data, and then you will have a better idea of when is the best and truest time for you to weigh yourself.
This discussion has been closed.