Introduce Yourself & Frequently Asked Questions

Replies

• chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 773 Member
    Thank you for letting me join your group ☺

Thanks to you @rjsimpson2002 your hope is contagious, it helps you and in a small way helps all of us here.
  • real_change
    real_change Posts: 53 Member
    Hi all, my name is Shauna and I’m glad to learn about this group. I have a lot of weight to lose, at least 65 lbs. I’m working through the Beck Weight Loss Solutions workbook and trying to lose this weight for good. I’m going to try the slow approach to that end. I weigh myself every day in an attempted to get over my fear of the scale but will report here on Mondays. I look forward to celebrating progress ( yours and mine) with you even if it’s not always scale related.
  • chris_in_cal
    ... 65 lbs... I weigh myself every day in an attempted to get over my fear of the scale but will report here on Mondays.

Hi, great. There some magic in what you are proposing...it works 😀

I am about 50 lbs from my goal, I weigh (almost) every day, and I usually post it here on Mondays....

I'm glad you are here, let's do it!!!!

• TinaJija
    TinaJija Posts: 15 Member
    Hi everyone I am Fifi and last year was a failed year for me so hoping to reach my goal this year. I currently weigh 163 lb(74 kg) and my ideal weight for my height is 110(50kg). I have already lost 18 lb so far. Hopefully looking to gain motivation and support, last year I was dealing with emotional binging , I am in a better place emotionally but still lack the motivation to exercise cos it has been years and it’s scary to start.
  • amskinner87
    amskinner87 Posts: 163 Member
    Hi @TinaJija and welcome to the group. Congratulations on losing 18lb so far, that's really great. I too struggle with bingeing and although mine is a lot better and rarer than it was I still do it and it's horrible, so I really feel for you. It's great that you're in a better place now but don't forget to be kind to yourself if you do binge again. I have lost about 60lb now without really any intentional exercise or a punishing calorie deficit so I'm firmly in the camp of exercise if you want to but don't get caught up in thinking it is essential for weight loss.

Looking forward to getting to know you over the coming months.

Alice
  • TinaJija
    TinaJija Posts: 15 Member
    @amskinner87

Thank you for your kind words, congratulations on the 60 lb that takes dedication.
  • Bodyinbalance
    Bodyinbalance Posts: 3 Member
    Hellooo. Barbs here and I am aiming to go from 147 to 137. The weight has been creeping on for some time and I have developed some unhealthy emotional eating habits. I am excited to join this group and get back to being my old healthy self. I am calorie counting at the moment as I find it works best for me. Low carb has worked in the past but I can't seem to be able to do that anymore. In 2016 I lost over a stone calorie counting and I found I enjoyed it.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,057 Member
    Welcome @Bodyinbalance
  • shapealer
    shapealer Posts: 37 Member
    turning 66 next month and everything hurts esp. knees and feet. Hope to drop 30 lbs to help myself feel better. currently 184 but started at 188 so its a start..just joined 2 weeks ago..wish me luck..
  • tinkerbellang83
    Welcome @shapealer
  • chris_in_cal
    shapealer wrote: »
    ...everything hurts esp. knees and feet. Hope to drop 30 lbs to help myself feel better...so its a start
    Ouch, sorry to hear that @shapealer I think you have good plan to make yourself feel better. I found doing a weekly weigh-in here keeps me on track, hope it works for you too.
  • shapealer
    shapealer Posts: 37 Member
    thanks chris..yes am planning to do a weekly ...do you guys all do it on a certain day?
  • tinkerbellang83
    shapealer wrote: »
    thanks chris..yes am planning to do a weekly ...do you guys all do it on a certain day?

All different days, there's a thread for each week, you just pop your weigh in on the relevant week, at the end of the month I do a progress report.
  • PositiveVibes777
    PositiveVibes777 Posts: 22 Member
    Hey everyone. I'm just an ordinary big girl lol who wants to lose some pounds. I'm quite tall so I don't look that big, unfortunately my face and the number on the scale tells a different story haha. I am just a few pounds away from being overweight, currently in my normal BMI. I want to achieve my ideal weight.

I have been going on and off my journey and honestly that has demotivated me even more. But I hope and pray that this time I actually achieve my goals and that my hard work pays off.

I am still a beginner, so I try to workout at least six days of the week, for at least 40 mins.

I hope we all succeed and become the strong versions of ourselves that we aim to become 💪❤️
  • chris_in_cal
    Hey @PositiveVibes777 your plan sound solid... I am old, a very hard lesson I'm learning is I can not out exercise a bad diet. In my youth, a week or two of pounding it and I was back to feeling fit. Regardless of how much I consumed.

My body stopped working that way in my late 30s to early 40s. Some long term weight loss people on the net, and some of my own experience tell me that the path for me is eating healthfully (whatever that means) to be at a most healthful weight.

Exercise will then be easier on my body, and is still great for cardiovascular, longevity, mental health, social well being, all kinds of things. I love what happens when I exercise a lot. Now that I'm old one thing that does not automatically happen is losing weight. That takes control of what I shove in my mouth.

MFP is a GREAT tool to learn about how much, and what types, of things I eat. I hope it helps you too.

Welcome.
  • PositiveVibes777
    PositiveVibes777 Posts: 22 Member
    Hey @PositiveVibes777 your plan sound solid... I am old, a very hard lesson I'm learning is I can not out exercise a bad diet. In my youth, a week or two of pounding it and I was back to feeling fit. Regardless of how much I consumed.

My body stopped working that way in my late 30s to early 40s. Some long term weight loss people on the net, and some of my own experience tell me that the path for me is eating healthfully (whatever that means) to be at a most healthful weight.

Exercise will then be easier on my body, and is still great for cardiovascular, longevity, mental health, social well being, all kinds of things. I love what happens when I exercise a lot. Now that I'm old one thing that does not automatically happen is losing weight. That takes control of what I shove in my mouth.

MFP is a GREAT tool to learn about how much, and what types, of things I eat. I hope it helps you too.

Welcome.

I agree. Clean eating and exercise should go side-by-side in order to maintain a healthy lifestyle. I hope you achieve your goals and wish you health and happiness. 😊
  • purplegamba
    purplegamba Posts: 4 Member
    I'm Beth. Weighed in at 205lb this morning and beginning calorie counting today, hoping to eventually lose around 60lb. I'm also postpartum, breastfeeding a 2 month old.

I have done this before, so I know I can do it, but the first few days are always rough as my body adjusts to a lower calorie intake and I break bad eating habits. Breakfast was an hour ago and I'm already starving. I know that 2 weeks from now I will be able to eat the same breakfast and be totally fine for 4-5 hours, but right now it's hard. 🤨 Does anyone have tips to make the transition easier? I'm trying to drink more water, not sure what else?
  • tinkerbellang83
    edited January 2021
    I'm Beth. Weighed in at 205lb this morning and beginning calorie counting today, hoping to eventually lose around 60lb. I'm also postpartum, breastfeeding a 2 month old.

I have done this before, so I know I can do it, but the first few days are always rough as my body adjusts to a lower calorie intake and I break bad eating habits. Breakfast was an hour ago and I'm already starving. I know that 2 weeks from now I will be able to eat the same breakfast and be totally fine for 4-5 hours, but right now it's hard. 🤨 Does anyone have tips to make the transition easier? I'm trying to drink more water, not sure what else?

If you are breastfeeding set yourself to Maintenance, your breastfeeding already creates a deficit and dropping calories too low can affect your milk supply. It's also pretty exhausting being a new mum so better not to be trying to lose weight too aggresively.

There's a thread somewhere for breastfeeding mums re weight loss, I will try and find it and post it.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10176233/gaining-weight-during-pregnancy-and-losing-it-post-partum
  • purplegamba
    purplegamba Posts: 4 Member
    Yes, I know that. I have manually adjusted my calorie goal well above what the app recommends because I know it was too low for me. This is baby #5 and I have lost weight while breastfeeding before. It's just the first few days that are particularly hard when I go from eating unhealthy and gaining weight to forming new habits to start losing.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Yes, I know that. I have manually adjusted my calorie goal well above what the app recommends because I know it was too low for me. This is baby #5 and I have lost weight while breastfeeding before. It's just the first few days that are particularly hard when I go from eating unhealthy and gaining weight to forming new habits to start losing.

That's great, I guess don't feel like you have to make big drastic changes, weight loss is down to how much you eat, not what you eat. Maybe just focus on logging accurately for the first few days, even if you go a little over and make small changes as you go to get you to your calorie goal and then work on nutrition once you're settled into it for satiety and health.