Daily check-in for keto friends... volume 3

Options

Replies

• prowell57
    prowell57 Posts: 140 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Weighed this morning. Scales were up 0.2
    Since being on keto almost 2 months I've been eating basically same things (to keep it simple), starting to get burned out! I need to start trying new keto recipes but it's tough buying all the things for keto that I need when on such a tight budget! Guess I'm just a little discouraged.
  • Catdemar
    Catdemar Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hello. New to group. Been doing keto about 8-9 weeks. Feeling good and keeping on track. Cooking is not my thing but doing a lot more of it these days. We got this.
  • zamirasoni
    zamirasoni Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    @prowell57 Give us any idea of what you have been eating. Don't give up hope, the group can probably give you ideas to shake it up a bit.
  • eloelochat
    eloelochat Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    prowell57 wrote: »
    Weighed this morning. Scales were up 0.2
    Since being on keto almost 2 months I've been eating basically same things (to keep it simple), starting to get burned out! I need to start trying new keto recipes but it's tough buying all the things for keto that I need when on such a tight budget! Guess I'm just a little discouraged.

Looking at the keto blogs you can spend a lot of time and energy cooking, and the shopping lists can be daunting. As the hunger decreases and you get into the routine of eating less and planning your meals, it becomes actually really ok to eat tasty keto on a budget.
    I do a lot of bolognese that I freeze in small portions and eat with veggies. Frozen bags of veggies can be cheap and quite good if you prepare them with spices and olive oil. I eat a lot of eggs (cheap protein), cooked ham, I buy cheddar blocks for shredded cheese or keto meals. I make a lot of salads too.
    I don't buy weird ingredients, powders and supplements that break the bank and sound too weird. Only normal kitchen staples (and almond flour, the only new item in my pantry!)

@zamirasoni is right: between all of us we can share tasty recipes that you might like :)
  • prowell57
    Options
    I've been cooking a lot with pork and ground beef mainly. I look online for recipes but most of the ones that interest me have things I've never heard of before lol. Like bread, for example. I've just been doing the cloud bread but am really burned out on it. I found some keto bread recipes but they call for xzanthan gum?? I have no idea what that is and I've looked every where for it. I'm really missing bread for sandwiches so want to bake some, cloud bread just doesn't do it for me 🙁.
  • shallid1
    shallid1 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    @prowell57

Same issue here... I will have to order xanthum gum and psyllium husk off of amazon if i have to get it.

I bought Carbquick on amazon just to see how it works. So far so good. There is a recipe online with it for English muffins. Closest I have come to the actual feel and texture of bread and simple to make.
  • eloelochat
    eloelochat Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I miss bread too!!!
    I feel that most recipes have an egg taste but if you prepare ahead and toast the bread, then it's ok. I have seen keto sandwich bread online. It is expensive but with 1 slice a day and freezing the loaf it should last. I am tempted to order some!

If you try a recipe:
    1/2 tsp of xanthum gum can be replaced by:
    Gelatine Powder – Use 1 teaspoon
    Ground Chia Seeds – Use 1 Tablespoon (my go to!)
    Nothing at all (up the almond flour or coconut flour or whatever is in the recipe)– Still gets a similar result.

• prowell57
    Options
    shallid1 wrote: »
    @prowell57

Same issue here... I will have to order xanthum gum and psyllium husk off of amazon if i have to get it.

I bought Carbquick on amazon just to see how it works. So far so good. There is a recipe online with it for English muffins. Closest I have come to the actual feel and texture of bread and simple to make.

Thanks for the info! I'll have to check into the Carbquick.
  • prowell57
    Options
    eloelochat wrote: »
    I miss bread too!!!
    I feel that most recipes have an egg taste but if you prepare ahead and toast the bread, then it's ok. I have seen keto sandwich bread online. It is expensive but with 1 slice a day and freezing the loaf it should last. I am tempted to order some!

If you try a recipe:
    1/2 tsp of xanthum gum can be replaced by:
    Gelatine Powder – Use 1 teaspoon
    Ground Chia Seeds – Use 1 Tablespoon (my go to!)
    Nothing at all (up the almond flour or coconut flour or whatever is in the recipe)– Still gets a similar result.

I was reading on one recipe that if you let the egg set out to get to room temp it helps cut down on the "egg taste". If you order the low carb bread let me know how it is.
    Thank you for the replacement ideas for xzanthan gum! I've looked in the grocery store as well as WallMart and just can't find it :(
  • d_dc_lady
    d_dc_lady Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    @prowell57 Try this bread recipe: https://www.ketoconnect.net/best-keto-bread/

No Xanthan gum or weird ingredients, and you can use either a bit of stevia (doesn’t make it sweet) or some yeast to reduce the egg flavor. One of my go-to bread recipes!
  • prowell57
    Options
    d_dc_lady wrote: »
    @prowell57 Try this bread recipe: https://www.ketoconnect.net/best-keto-bread/

No Xanthan gum or weird ingredients, and you can use either a bit of stevia (doesn’t make it sweet) or some yeast to reduce the egg flavor. One of my go-to bread recipes!

Thank you. This looks pretty simple and best part of all, it makes 20 slices 🙂
  • EelkoDoesKeto
    EelkoDoesKeto Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Day 31 on Keto. One month. Scales dropped again today.
    I am finding weight loss is not linear like low calorie weight loss. Low calory weight loss was essentially just a pretty straight line... about 200gr a day of loss.... On Keto I am finding, flat flat flat BOOM, flat flat flat BOOM.... the weight loss is about the same overal, but per day it is different.

Someone said in one of the forums that they were concerned about the cost of keto... The reality is that I have calculated that I have probably saved $290 dollars in direct savings, and that is not including all the crap I buy when I am at the supermarket to get the crap that I used to eat...
    I actually eat less protein (the most expensive part of any meal) too.

Just a thought of the day... keto saves money.
  • Malimalai
    Malimalai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I cook a lot of Thai foods which are keto friendly if you don't eat rice or noodle. I have side dish of salad or vegetable in stead.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Hey, fitness pals!
    A couple years ago, I was a regular contributor here. I'm back, on keto again, undoing some damage from an extended visit to carbtown...which is a place I long to be, but alas...that's a no go for me... if I want to be healthy and happy.
    Just reclaiming my seat. Been on track for over 50 days. Have lost some inches; but I am too scared to weigh in as of yet. I'll get there.
    So glad to be back here. Any of my pals still around? I missed you all.
  • elize7
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Getting ready ready to travel this weekend. This will be difficult as the town is an eat, drink, and party kind of place. I'm committed to keeping food on track and allowing a few drinks. It will slow me down, but the food part seems doable and really needs to be prioritzed. Hope to dance off the booze calories fast.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,112 Member
    Options
    @elize7 Great job! Carbs are very delicious! I also am trying to get back on the wagon.
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    @elize7 nice to see you around! Today is Day 1 of my 6327 attempt at getting back on track and staying there for good.
  • elize7
    Options
    Hi Kristy. Was trying to remember the name of an IF group I think you'd mentioned here...I could be wrong, but I accidentally deleted the group and now I can't find it. Let me know if you you know what group I mean and even actual name. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.