WAISTAWAYS TEAM CHAT - September 2019

Options

Replies

• jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,114 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »
    I found the perfect disaster: a food that is high calorie, not filling, and not tasty at all.

I regret eating it, but science demanded it.
    Long story short: I found military rations and convinced all my coworkers to eat some.

Oh no! My daughter, who is in the Army (Canadian) sometimes brings these home to give us as a "treat". So far I have never eaten one. I think you have to have hiked too many miles carrying WAY too much stuff, in a really uncomfortable vest that contains ceramic plates (NOT adapted well to women), after way too little sleep. Then they taste absolutely amazing!

But you did it - long live science!
    ps - are your co-workers still speaking to you?
  • jugar
    Options
    Mighty quiet around here! Let's have some noise as the big weigh-in day comes around, ok?

FRIDAY WEIGH-INS - HEADS UP!
    @Connie7355
    @Jugar
    @AmyRobF
    @martinesther88
    @Pearl4686
    @visiri
    @berriesandsunshine
    @marieamethyst
    And still to come for today @cory17
    Late: @kx7003 and @tdrjustus3 Thanks! Hope to hear from you.

My own check in for today:
    • My goal to do something every day to build strength is going well. I think my exercise slump is being left behind at last, and the focus of my exercise is somewhat different. So far so good. Today, Day 4 of the Pilates 10 day challenge - 15 minutes, but quite intense! Feels great. And then 30 minutes of low impact circuit training.
    • No alcohol - I am amazed that I have been good with this. Just before dinner, or while making dinner, the idea goes through my mind, but I have not had too bad a time resisting. I might actually make it through the whole month alcohol free! Although, there is a dinner out next Monday...
    • Logging and staying within plan - today was good. Yesterday was a bit sloppy with an overindulgence in sweet yummies while out shopping at a place that has wonderful cookies, but I squeaked through just under calories.

So check in, and let's see how well we can wrap up this week. I'm a bit worried - it seems to me that our best weeks are when people are in here chatting often, helping each other out, and supporting teammates. That has really slowed down lately. I'm sure you're super busy, but hope that you're keeping up with your goals and health!
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    jugar wrote: »
    I found the perfect disaster: a food that is high calorie, not filling, and not tasty at all.

I regret eating it, but science demanded it.
    Long story short: I found military rations and convinced all my coworkers to eat some.

Oh no! My daughter, who is in the Army (Canadian) sometimes brings these home to give us as a "treat". So far I have never eaten one. I think you have to have hiked too many miles carrying WAY too much stuff, in a really uncomfortable vest that contains ceramic plates (NOT adapted well to women), after way too little sleep. Then they taste absolutely amazing!

But you did it - long live science!
    ps - are your co-workers still speaking to you?

Some of my coworkers took seconds! The first one laughed really hard and said excitedly, "it's awful!" :lol:

Not a bad way to kill a lazy Thursday afternoon.
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,371 Member
    Options
    CW 212.2
  • Pearl4686
    Pearl4686 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Weighing in Friday
    PW: 171.8
    CW:172.8
  • AmyRobF
    AmyRobF Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    PW 208
    CW 208

I haven’t done a thing I said I would. So today, today I WILL exercise and move!! I have noticed I am so tired all the tome but when I exercise within a week I’m not! I might make a visible checklist like @micki48 !!
  • Terytha
    Options
    Doctor update: my doctor has determined I have gastritis and almost certainly IBS. So I'm to go on a low FODMAP diet for now.

But it's very confusing. No two websites seem to agree on some foods, and every website is completely vague on how to even figure out what foods have FODMAPs. Can I eat buns or not? Can I have pizza? Coffee? Yogurt? Probably not yogurt, right?

I'm feeling very overwhelmed and depressed.
  • jugar
    Options
    AmyRobF wrote: »
    PW 208
    CW 208

I haven’t done a thing I said I would. So today, today I WILL exercise and move!! I have noticed I am so tired all the tome but when I exercise within a week I’m not! I might make a visible checklist like @micki48 !!

We're going to check on you! Come back to report on your exercise for today :)

My husband has the silly sayings "the more you eat, the more you eat" and "the less you do, the less you do" - luckily the opposite is true also, even if it is harder to do. The less you eat, the easier it is to eat less (unless you go too far!!!!) and the more you do, the less tired you feel, so the more you can do. You're so right - you'll feel a lot more energy in a few days if you just get to it! Check in every day - it helps. Just a super quick message to say if you exercised or not. It is amazing how having to do that can make you get to it even when you don't want to. You'll never regret even a short workout, walk, dance frenzy - whatever it takes.
  • Connie7355
    Connie7355 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Friday weigh in
    PW: 183.4
    CW: 180.3
  • jugar
    Options
    Doctor update: my doctor has determined I have gastritis and almost certainly IBS. So I'm to go on a low FODMAP diet for now.

But it's very confusing. No two websites seem to agree on some foods, and every website is completely vague on how to even figure out what foods have FODMAPs. Can I eat buns or not? Can I have pizza? Coffee? Yogurt? Probably not yogurt, right?

OK Amber - you now know what you're dealing with, and you are not alone! There are many people who have worked through this, and you need to get on a reputable source of information and find someone who can help. I STRONGLY suggest you see a good dietitian. They are brilliant at making it simple and clear. The doc can give you a referral, or you can just up and find one and get an appointment asap.

Yep, you feel overwhelmed, but taking some action will pull you out and you'll start feeling better soon, I hope! Many hugs to you <3
  • visiri
    visiri Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    SW 199
    PW 199
    CW 197.8 (YAY!! I busted off of my plateau - hopefully I'm not stuck here now for weeks)
  • matthewsfive
    matthewsfive Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    feel like I'm in a rut, I'm trying really hard to watch what I eat to the point that I might not be eating enough during the day then around 9pm I can eat the whole house. I know I should be eating small meals during the day but I find that i'm just not hungry but when that clock strike 9 all hell breaks loose. I'm fighting with myself not to go crazy and eat everything I see. it's been a real struggle these last two weeks.

I know its all in my head because I haven't seen good numbers on the scale lately.
    I know I shouldn't let it bother me.
    I know it's how it goes when losing weight.
    I know.
    I Know.
    I know.

But it doesn't change how I feel and how I have been thinking. I joined a new gym and hired a trainer for 6 months. I need to make sure I start eating my breakfast, lunch, dinner and 3 small snacks again.

I need to get out of this rut.

Thanks all for listening
  • jugar
    Options
    @visiri - well done on breaking free from your plateau! Keep on keeping on, friend!

@matthewsfive - thank you for sharing your struggle and not just giving up. It is a vicious circle - you eat late so you're not even faintly hungry in the morning, then you don't eat enough, so you eat late at night. You are right that it is time to break that cycle, and all it takes is a couple of good days. Really plan your meals for the first day - exactly the right amount of calories that you know will fill you up without making you feel like you have blown it. Stick to it even if it feels horrible at first. And maybe 3 meals plus 3 snacks does not work for you. It sure does not for me, and never did. I would rather eat a bit more and have only 3 meals with no (or rare) snacks. Whatever, just make a plan, stick to it for a while, and you'll regain a positive feeling, promise! Then adjust and experiment as needed. WTG on hiring a trainer. That can be one of the best moves you'll ever make. That and sticking with us and getting (hopefully!) some good ideas, sharing how it's going, and crying on our shoulders as needed. If you want some fun reading and a plan that is pretty flexible, get a copy of Game On by Krista Vernoff (The Game On Diet I think is the full title). It's a hoot and will cheer you up!
  • Terytha
    Options
    jugar wrote: »

OK Amber - you now know what you're dealing with, and you are not alone! There are many people who have worked through this, and you need to get on a reputable source of information and find someone who can help. I STRONGLY suggest you see a good dietitian. They are brilliant at making it simple and clear. The doc can give you a referral, or you can just up and find one and get an appointment asap.

Yep, you feel overwhelmed, but taking some action will pull you out and you'll start feeling better soon, I hope! Many hugs to you <3

I can't. I've been trying to see a dietitian since last year. Referrals take an eternity but if I don't go that route I have to pay out of pocket, which I can in no way afford.

For now I'm thinking I'll come up with a short list of definitely ok foods and eat just those. I'll make up the nutritional shortfall with vitamins. It's not forever.

I'm pretty sure the problem is mostly fructose. If we go back to the start of my troubles, that's when I started eating apples and fruit yogurt for breakfast.
  • berriesandsunshine
    Options
    @jugar I've heard that earthworms are great so I am just hoping I'll get used to it. And I do wear gloves, I just can't help to dislike how the worms look. My husband does get a good laugh out of this as well. Your son sounds like me as a teenager, when I got obligated to do things I had no interest in I would do it but I also would make sure to prove my point that I wasn't happy with the whole situation. Petty, I know! But hey, it always worked.

@micki48 I live in VA and our soil, at least on the backyard, is also so much clay. I never really cared for this until the very first rainy day we had when moving to this house, my dog came back "wearing" orange boots. He is white so you can imagine how it looked like. LOL. But I did not imagine we would have this many worms having clay soil.
  • berriesandsunshine
    Options

@Terytha

I will say what I had to stop eating and maybe it will help you. I spent one year treating my gastritis.

What I was told to avoid:

Caffeine.

I had to avoid coffee completely since it was probably the biggest reason I had gastritis in the first place, I used to drink coffee literally all day long... As I finished one cup I was already preparing another, so stopping completely was required by my doctor. And with the pain, I confess I didn't even care. But green tea, coke, anything with caffeine fit here.

Anything citric/acidic

Lemons, lime, tomatoes, oranges... Anything acidic so alcohol and spicy food was a big no-no as well.

Fatty foods

Goodbye fried anything and careful with dressings and oils. Cheese was also listed as part of the things to be left out of my diet. (I confess I still had some of the salad dressings because I just couldn't eat salads plain, but it was a small amount).

What I could eat:

Vegetables (broccoli was something that always went well on my stomach, but there are tons of options as long as you follow the low acidity rule).

Fruits (banana, apples, cantaloupes... also the no acidity rule).

Low-fat foods

It goes back to things that need to be avoided. So low-fat meats are a better option for you, preferably grilled. Instead of oil use water to "fry" things. Or just steam everything.

Probiotics

Yogurt is fine as long as it is low fat. But in this part, I would say to test what goes well with you. I, for example, did amazingly well with kombucha. It was an instant relief for my discomfort. But saeurkraut caused me to bloat a lot and as a result, I would feel pain. Both are supposed to be probiotics.

In resume: low fat no acidic foods are great. Steamed everything is a go-to. No to alcohol and caffeine. And test out what makes you feel good or not with the rest.

I love carbonated drinks (sparkling water lover here) but I couldn't drink it when I had gastritis because it made me feel bad. Kombucha was good for me though, and it is kinda carbonated. So testing is important.

I don't remember what I was told about bread, but I ate anyway. Not a lot and I have always preferred whole wheat bread with lots of grains, which means a lot of fiber and fiber is supposed to help.

Pizza gets into the high-fat area so I would avoid it.

Anyway, it got longer than I expected to. Aside from all this, I was also prescribed antibiotics and antacids, but this is usually decided by your doctor. The only part I can truly help is sharing about my diet, if you want to talk about it just hit me up.
  • berriesandsunshine
    Options
    Username: @berriesandsunshine
    Weigh-in day: Friday
    Starting weight: 152
    Previous weight: 152.5
    Current weight: 150.5
  • Terytha
    Options

@Terytha

I will say what I had to stop eating and maybe it will help you. I spent one year treating my gastritis.

Caffeine.

I had to avoid coffee completely since it was probably the biggest reason I had gastritis in the first place, I used to drink coffee literally all day long... As I finished one cup I was already preparing another, so stopping completely was required by my doctor. And with the pain, I confess I didn't even care. But green tea, coke, anything with caffeine fit here.

Anything citric/acidic

Lemons, lime, tomatoes, oranges... Anything acidic so alcohol and spicy food was a big no-no as well.

Fatty foods

Goodbye fried anything and careful with dressings and oils. Cheese was also listed as part of the things to be left out of my diet. (I confess I still had some of the salad dressings because I just couldn't eat salads plain, but it was a small amount).

What I could eat:

Vegetables (broccoli was something that always went well on my stomach, but there are tons of options as long as you follow the low acidity rule).

Low-fat foods

It goes back to things that need to be avoided. So low-fat meats are a better option for you, preferably grilled. Instead of oil use water to "fry" things. Or just steam everything.

Probiotics

Yogurt is fine as long as it is low fat. But in this part, I would say to test what goes well with you. I, for example, did amazingly well with kombucha. It was an instant relief for my discomfort. But saeurkraut caused me to bloat a lot and as a result, I would feel pain. Both are supposed to be probiotics.

In resume: low fat no acidic foods are great. Steamed everything is a go-to. No to alcohol and caffeine. And test out what makes you feel good or not with the rest.

I love carbonated drinks (sparkling water lover here) but I couldn't drink it when I had gastritis because it made me feel bad. Kombucha was good for me though, and it is kinda carbonated. So testing is important.

I don't remember what I was told about bread, but I ate anyway. Not a lot and I have always preferred whole wheat bread with lots of grains, which means a lot of fiber and fiber is supposed to help.

Anyway, it got longer than I expected to. Aside from all this, I was also prescribed antibiotics and antacids, but this is usually decided by your doctor. The only part I can truly help is sharing about my diet, if you want to talk about it just hit me up.

That does help. I just have to combine it with the low FODMAP stuff, which means nearly no fruit (apples are very bad, berries ok), no wheat, mostly no dairy, no onions, no garlic.

I'm gonna need a multivitamin. I'm literally looking at a diet of just grilled chicken, rice and carrots right now. :(
  • berriesandsunshine
    Options

@Terytha

Caffeine.

Anything citric/acidic

Fatty foods

What I could eat:

Low-fat foods

Probiotics

That does help. I just have to combine it with the low FODMAP stuff, which means nearly no fruit (apples are very bad, berries ok), no wheat, mostly no dairy, no onions, no garlic.

I'm gonna need a multivitamin. I'm literally looking at a diet of just grilled chicken, rice and carrots right now. :(

Oh, I forgot about the FODMAP. You mentioned it, sorry. I think the tricky part here is that some of the low FODMAP foods are bad for gastritis, like berries, for example.

In this case, it does complicate things a bit, but it is still possible to have a good variety of things to eat that still fit both low FODMAP and gastritis. There are lots of vegetables and even fruits that are still allowed for both conditions. And yes, it will require some time researching everything until you're able to get a referral for a dietitian. This out-of-pocket monster is something I avoid as well, so Google is definitely my best friend in some situations.

And about feeling overwhelmed, think that at least for now you know a way to start. Chicken, rice and carrots! You have one meal that can work. It is all about the baby steps. You have left the "start line" and are on your way to achieving what you need to. Just a few more steps, a day at a time.. It is just a little difficult to adjust in the beginning because it is a different diet, but I am sure you can do it! And we are here for you!

• jugar
    Options
    Username: @berriesandsunshine
    Weigh-in day: Friday
    Starting weight: 152
    Previous weight: 152.5
    Current weight: 150.5

Excellent week! You can go off and do your happy dance now - but not in the muddy clay!
This discussion has been closed.