TEAM: The Slimsons (October)

Options

Replies

• 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    o0kody0o wrote: »
    🌟Daily Post:
    💬Comments: This is around my third day of eating right and not eating chocolate. Again I snacked on some cheese, red grapes and apple which turned out to be a tasty combination! Instead of eating chocolate or crisps after dinner, I had a coconut yoghurt and a few BabyBel cheese rounds. So I’ve definitely been making good food choices! My new Fitbit has been getting me to walk more too which is great. It was a horrible rainy day here so I wasn’t out for long but my Fitbit tells me I’ve walked just over 2 miles - that’s better than nothing 😆

Yay! Congratulations on finding other healthy snacks to replace your chocolate. I can tell how strong it makes you feel. Awesome! It rained here too so I totally get it. Are you tracking your sleep with your fitbit? I'm wondering how you find that aspect of the app.
    I don't get it... I need some advice. Is it possible to not loose weight by not eating enough calories? I have been so diligent on everything and the scale won't budge and I keep cutting and cutting calories I've only been eating around 400-500 calories a day and still nothing!! I'm getting very worried and scared like am I just gonna have to stop all calories together to get any movement? I'm just so confused 😭

How long have you been eating at 400-500 calories for? I don't know your current weight so I don't know how much excess weight you have on your body, but It doesn't seem possible not to lose weight while eating such a low amount. But if you've been already doing this for a while then, it's very possible you've lowered to metabolism (and body) to function at this low number. I ate at 500 calories last November because I "needed" to lose 20 lbs fast. I knew it wasn't the smartest thing to do but I was desperate. The following week I raised it to 600, 700, and so on until I was eating at 1800 a few months later. With every calorie increase I continued to lose weight, but if I had stayed at 500 I have no doubt I would have ruined my metabolism. I'm not recommending you only increase by 100 calories per week, you may need to increase more. This is just what worked for me. Are you able to talk to your doctor about this? I think the best thing you can do for yourself is to talk to your doctor and see if they will refer you to a nutritionist. Losing weight can get so deep inside our head that we are willing to do almost anything to do it. But such an extreme restriction of calories can be detrimental to your health, which is the exact opposite of what we want, right?
  • 143tobe
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Daily Post (Thursday)

Track: Yes
    Calories: Yes
    Exercise: Yes but very little. I did 20 minutes walking dog & a 10 minute bike ride

Comments: Completed my fast. 41 hours in total and I am feeling so much better. I wanted to end it at 40 hours with a keto coffee but I was too busy in the morning before work to get a chance to prepare my coffee so I had to break my fast at lunch time. Although I walked my dog and rode my bike to work, I still consider that a rest day and I feel like having two rest days has really helped.

***Above I commented about restricting calories too much being detrimental to one's health, while here I am restricting completely with a fast. Just wanted to add that there is evidence that fasting from time to time can be beneficial to one's health. From gut health, increasing autophagy and stimulating stem cell production in one's body. The list goes on. It is for these reasons I fast when I do.
  • Ver9nika
    Ver9nika Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    143tobe wrote: »
    🌟Daily Post:
    💬Comments: This is around my third day of eating right and not eating chocolate. Again I snacked on some cheese, red grapes and apple which turned out to be a tasty combination! Instead of eating chocolate or crisps after dinner, I had a coconut yoghurt and a few BabyBel cheese rounds. So I’ve definitely been making good food choices! My new Fitbit has been getting me to walk more too which is great. It was a horrible rainy day here so I wasn’t out for long but my Fitbit tells me I’ve walked just over 2 miles - that’s better than nothing 😆

Yay! Congratulations on finding other healthy snacks to replace your chocolate. I can tell how strong it makes you feel. Awesome! It rained here too so I totally get it. Are you tracking your sleep with your fitbit? I'm wondering how you find that aspect of the app.
    I don't get it... I need some advice. Is it possible to not loose weight by not eating enough calories? I have been so diligent on everything and the scale won't budge and I keep cutting and cutting calories I've only been eating around 400-500 calories a day and still nothing!! I'm getting very worried and scared like am I just gonna have to stop all calories together to get any movement? I'm just so confused 😭

How long have you been eating at 400-500 calories for? I don't know your current weight so I don't know how much excess weight you have on your body, but It doesn't seem possible not to lose weight while eating such a low amount. But if you've been already doing this for a while then, it's very possible you've lowered to metabolism (and body) to function at this low number. I ate at 500 calories last November because I "needed" to lose 20 lbs fast. I knew it wasn't the smartest thing to do but I was desperate. The following week I raised it to 600, 700, and so on until I was eating at 1800 a few months later. With every calorie increase I continued to lose weight, but if I had stayed at 500 I have no doubt I would have ruined my metabolism. I'm not recommending you only increase by 100 calories per week, you may need to increase more. This is just what worked for me. Are you able to talk to your doctor about this? I think the best thing you can do for yourself is to talk to your doctor and see if they will refer you to a nutritionist. Losing weight can get so deep inside our head that we are willing to do almost anything to do it. But such an extreme restriction of calories can be detrimental to your health, which is the exact opposite of what we want, right?

I too think that too low calories will slow down metabolism (and messes with mind, makes us to binge-eat or smth). I don't diet/starve anymore. No more 1200kcal, 500kcal, monodiet, etc. I eat around my BMR (1800kcal) real food I love and try to cook from scratch. I like to eat a lot and thus must carefully choose my ingredients to eat A LOT of what I love (e.g. lasagne - I add a lot of veggies and cut back on pasta). My weight goes down and I'm full and happy
  • satchel2008
    satchel2008 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    🌟Daily Post:

I've been doing it about 3 weeks. My current weight is 241 which is why I just don't understand if I was like in the mid to low 100's I would understand cause it's hard to loose weight at that point but with me having so much to loose I don't understand why it's not just falling off. I've always had an issue with very slow metabolism. My mom had my thyroid checked twice when I was a kid cause my weight was always so weird, but they always said it was fine. I've been big my whole life the only time I ever got slim was when I was 19 I got sick in an airplane and for about 2 weeks I couldn't eat just the smell and taste of food made me sick and then I just never got the drive to eat again I didn't eat hardly anything maybe something super small twice a week and that was it and I lost 75lbs in 2 months.. not healthy I know.. but I also didn't own a car and had to walk everywhere I easily was walking 10 miles a day back and forth to work on top of not eating. But then I got pregnant and had to start eating again for the health of my baby and I blew up like a balloon and gained 90lbs during my pregnancy. Idk weight has always been hard for me. I work alot it's not like I sit on a couch all day and stuff my face. My bad habbit is usually having my biggest meal right before I go to sleep but I've worked night shift for over 10 years so it's had working such a weird shift. Idk I go to the Dr and they usually just say the usual.. eat right and exercise. I don't think they believe me when I tell them I can eat only 500 calories and not loose weight. This is how it always goes I loose for the first week or so and then it's done nothing else happens and I get frustrated and stop. I'm just not sure what the catch is. It's like if I eat nothing I loose weight but if I do much as eat a grape I won't. It's just discouraging.
  • satchel2008
    Options
    Daily post Thursday
    Track: yes
    Calories: yes
    Exercise: did some squats nothing major still trying to nurse my back.
  • o0kody0o
    o0kody0o Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    @143tobe Yes I’ve been tracking my sleep! Most days I wake up still feeling tired (I have an 11 month old baby) so I thought I’d track my sleep to get some insight. The app tells me how long it took me to fall asleep (usually between 1 and 10 minutes), how many times I was awake and how many times I was restless. A couple of days ago I woke up feeling so tired and the app said I was restless 5 times! This morning, I woke up feeling quite refreshed and it said I was restless only once. You can set sleep goals such as your desired bedtime/wake-up time and how long you’d like to sleep for. The Fitbit will give you little reminders. Apart from that, there’s not much else you can do sleep wise but it’s definitely insightful 😊
  • batgirl140
    batgirl140 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Batgirl140
    Weigh in oct week 3

PW: 204
    CW: 207
    😩

I’m eating a bit out of control. I think I’m going to need to go against my own principles and start throwing stuff out, till I can regain control.
  • AB0215
    AB0215 Posts: 7,141 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options

@satchel2008 This is a very widely discussed and controversial topic. I don't think it's at all a great idea to go super low for a super long time, your metabolism WILL slow and this will make losing weight over the course of your journey MUCH MUCH more difficult. With that being said, there is a lot of research to suggest that time restricted feeding and temporary calorie restriction is very good, for example, eating normally 5 days a week and 2 days a week eating 400-500 calories a day.

If you restrict your calories super aggressively like that (and stay super low daily) and you just go straight for it, this can cause your body to go through some extreme stress and it will slow your metabolism to preserve your current resources, ie, your current fat and muscle. Now the degree to which this happens is different from person to person, but in your case may be extreme as it does seem that you may have had a slower metabolism to start. I don't ever suggest going that extreme for most people, as it also makes it harder to maintain over the long term, for example..the point at which your body gets used to that intake, you have nowhere to go down from there....you can't eat much less than 500 calories a day...and still be eating food. And another thing you'd want to think about is while eating that low consistently, are you actually giving your body enough actual nutrients? That matters too. If your malnourished, some pretty undesirable things can occur, and a big one is hair loss.....and I'd lose my mind if I lost my hair....just saying.

I said all of that to say, it's probably doing you more harm than good, and especially if your body is responding in the way that it is, and you may want to consider increasing your calories (and I would do it slowly, a little at a time each week) until you get to more like 1200-1500 calories and then look at what you really need to cut to lose weight.

If rapid** and healthy weight loss is what you're really after, I'd suggest a Ketogenic diet (and if nothing else during your journey to lose weight) or intermittent fasting (or both). My first 6 months on keto I dropped 45 lbs (and to date 107 lbs) and intermittent fasting came shortly after naturally, I just found I wasn't nearly as hungry.

**Rapid--your mileage may vary, in the beginning, it's very easy to drop quickly if you cut the carb cord, but not all of it happens instantly, as it does take a bit of time for your body to heal itself and start letting go of unnecessary fat reserves.

If you're interested at all in giving Keto a shot, let me know. I'd be happy to help. It's really saved me.
  • 143tobe
    Options
    Daily Post (Thursday)

Exercise: Yes - 40 minutes strength & stretching, 15 minutes walking dog & a 10 minute bike ride

Comments:
    I was feeling good this morning. Did my morning strength workout I had planned. But by the time I came home from work in the afternoon, my energy was just zapped. My legs once again felt like lead and all I really wanted to do was sit on the couch with my feet up. Then I had to take a nap. Couldn't keep my eyes open. Returned to the couch later but I've been in bed with my laptop for the last two hours just waiting until I can go to sleep. I don't know why I'm feeling so lethargic lately. My strength training session wasn't extreme or anything. Just dumbells, squats, pushups and stuff. I wanted to get a long run of 10 miles in tomorrow hoping it will reset my system somehow since I usually feel really good after a long run...but I think I might have to cut it to 8 miles? I guess I will find out. Worst case scenario is I run, I hate it, and I end up going for a nice walk in the woods instead.
  • AB0215
    AB0215 Posts: 7,141 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options

I've been doing it about 3 weeks. My current weight is 241 which is why I just don't understand if I was like in the mid to low 100's I would understand cause it's hard to loose weight at that point but with me having so much to loose I don't understand why it's not just falling off. I've always had an issue with very slow metabolism. My mom had my thyroid checked twice when I was a kid cause my weight was always so weird, but they always said it was fine. I've been big my whole life the only time I ever got slim was when I was 19 I got sick in an airplane and for about 2 weeks I couldn't eat just the smell and taste of food made me sick and then I just never got the drive to eat again I didn't eat hardly anything maybe something super small twice a week and that was it and I lost 75lbs in 2 months.. not healthy I know.. but I also didn't own a car and had to walk everywhere I easily was walking 10 miles a day back and forth to work on top of not eating. But then I got pregnant and had to start eating again for the health of my baby and I blew up like a balloon and gained 90lbs during my pregnancy. Idk weight has always been hard for me. I work alot it's not like I sit on a couch all day and stuff my face. My bad habbit is usually having my biggest meal right before I go to sleep but I've worked night shift for over 10 years so it's had working such a weird shift. Idk I go to the Dr and they usually just say the usual.. eat right and exercise. I don't think they believe me when I tell them I can eat only 500 calories and not loose weight. This is how it always goes I loose for the first week or so and then it's done nothing else happens and I get frustrated and stop. I'm just not sure what the catch is. It's like if I eat nothing I loose weight but if I do much as eat a grape I won't. It's just discouraging.

@satchel2008 I was one of those people who could eat less and less and still not lose weight, and that may have something to do with food choices and insulin sensitivity, and I was 241 when I finally gave up and decided to try a Ketogenic diet..and it worked. If you're at that point where nothing is working and calorie restriction isn't working, you need to try something very different and that's really where a ketogenic diet can shine, it's great for those of us who've developed insulin sensitivity and eating issues over time, which it does seem like you may have. And doctors don't really help us in this respect because they've been fed that same bs over time of eat right and exercise and you'll lose weight, but there is so much more to it than that and the proper human diet didn't contain all of the manufactured foods we've got now, and the sugars, etc and maybe what you really need is a reset...a return back to the normal foods we used to eat....and a keto diet tends to focus in on eating whole, unprocessed foods and getting your body into a fat burning mode, more so than other diets, which will help you overall. There are also other diets that really help focus on whole and unprocessed foods, which is great for helping you get back to a baseline, however one of the more powerful aspects of the keto diet is that it helps you kick the harmful sugar habit too.
  • dustyspal
    dustyspal Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Daily Post - Friday

Track ✔
    Calories ✔
    Exercise ✔

I've walked home from work 4 of 5 days this week! Love being able to do that. It's not a long walk - 2.6 miles, but then my hubby meets me and we walk to dogs another 1/2 miles or so. I would go more, but I am just so mentally drained after school, I don't have it in me to do more. That's what the weekends are.for. I love my morning walks. I can easily go 5 1/2 miles in the morning. Guess I'm just a morning person. Always have been..[/b
    ]
  • LadyRN76
    LadyRN76 Posts: 4,275 Member
    Options
    Friday
    Track ✔ yes
    Calories ✔ under
    Exercise ✔ 3 mile run. Tmw is a bike ride and I am ready!
  • satchel2008
    Options
    Weigh in day Friday
    PW:242
    CW: 241
  • satchel2008
    Options
    AB0215 wrote: »

@satchel2008 I was one of those people who could eat less and less and still not lose weight, and that may have something to do with food choices and insulin sensitivity, and I was 241 when I finally gave up and decided to try a Ketogenic diet..and it worked. If you're at that point where nothing is working and calorie restriction isn't working, you need to try something very different and that's really where a ketogenic diet can shine, it's great for those of us who've developed insulin sensitivity and eating issues over time, which it does seem like you may have. And doctors don't really help us in this respect because they've been fed that same bs over time of eat right and exercise and you'll lose weight, but there is so much more to it than that and the proper human diet didn't contain all of the manufactured foods we've got now, and the sugars, etc and maybe what you really need is a reset...a return back to the normal foods we used to eat....and a keto diet tends to focus in on eating whole, unprocessed foods and getting your body into a fat burning mode, more so than other diets, which will help you overall. There are also other diets that really help focus on whole and unprocessed foods, which is great for helping you get back to a baseline, however one of the more powerful aspects of the keto diet is that it helps you kick the harmful sugar habit too.

Ya I think so. I have a family history and the only thing that has ever worked for my mom my grandma my aunt has been keto. I guess I just felt like I wasn't really eating much bread but I know carbs are in sooo many things. I might try that
  • LiveLaughLove1969
    LiveLaughLove1969 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    LiveLaughLove1969
    Weigh Day: Friday
    Week 2
    PW: 183
    CW: 183.1
  • 143tobe
    Options
    Username: 143tobe
    Weigh in day: Saturday
    Week: October Week 3
    PW =136.6
    CW= 135.6
  • vicky2767
    vicky2767 Posts: 2,472 Member
    Options
    Vicky2767
    Sat
    Oct Week 3?
    PW 179.1
    CW 180.9
  • 143tobe
    Options
    Daily Post (Saturday)

Exercise: Yes - 2 hour, 30 minute long run

Comments:
    Went on my long run this morning. I wanted to get in at least 10 miles but more than that I wanted to find my runner's legs, and my joy and meditation that I normally get from running. So I went on my most enjoyed forest run, and decided to take paths I had not taken in years, and to also explore new ones. This really helped to keep the boredom and monotony from setting in. I went at a speed that felt comfortable, not too fast, not too slow. Ended up doing a lot of hills, but for some reason I felt strong on them and powered through. I ended up exploring a little too far and my 10 mile run turned into 12.75 miles by the time I reached my car so I decided to keep running to make it a full half marathon. So in total I ran 13.2 miles plus a mile walk/jog for a cool down. By the time I came home I just felt so good. I was so happy that I finally had a good run, just like I usually had before my races. This has just been a weird month for me. I can't believe we're almost at the end of October. How did that happen?
  • o0kody0o
    o0kody0o Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Daily Post (Saturday)

Exercise: Yes - 2 hour, 30 minute long run

Comments:
    Went on my long run this morning. I wanted to get in at least 10 miles but more than that I wanted to find my runner's legs, and my joy and meditation that I normally get from running. So I went on my most enjoyed forest run, and decided to take paths I had not taken in years, and to also explore new ones. This really helped to keep the boredom and monotony from setting in. I went at a speed that felt comfortable, not too fast, not too slow. Ended up doing a lot of hills, but for some reason I felt strong on them and powered through. I ended up exploring a little too far and my 10 mile run turned into 12.75 miles by the time I reached my car so I decided to keep running to make it a full half marathon. So in total I ran 13.2 miles plus a mile walk/jog for a cool down. By the time I came home I just felt so good. I was so happy that I finally had a good run, just like I usually had before my races. This has just been a weird month for me. I can't believe we're almost at the end of October. How did that happen?

Awesome job 👏 That is a great distance to run so I hope you’re very proud of yourself 😊 You’ve done excellent this month and I’m sure you’ll continue to do so 🤗

This discussion has been closed.