New To EM2WL? Introduce Yourself Here!

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Hey folks - hope the reasonable nature of this type of diet encouragement and workouts is useful for adhering and sustaining your loss to goal, and well after.
  • FireORose
    FireORose Posts: 16 Member
    I’m trying something new. This past year all I’ve done is yo-yo +/- 8lbs. My new goal is to eat more with my current workout schedule. Im tired of losing water weight and lean muscle mass.
  • PiscesIntuition
    PiscesIntuition Posts: 1,365 Member
    Greetings everyone! I joined because I like to eat a lot, and stay within my caloric deficit. Losing fat/retaining muscle is my goal. After which, gaining muscle is my goal.
  • 1quianasmith
    1quianasmith Posts: 1 Member
    Hello, my name is Quiana. I’m starting again and I’m hoping I can be successful this time around. I think about losing weight daily, but I seem to be stuck! I would like to lose 100 lbs in total, but I set a smaller goal of 50 lbs so I don’t get discouraged. I’m over 40 and my body is not the same. Everything hurts and I think the main issue is the weight.
  • TishounaB
    TishounaB Posts: 1 Member
    Hi There!!! I am Tish. I am new to this world. I in the past never had to work out, never worried about my weight, etc. Now that has all changed. I am now in double-digit clothing and my health is being affected. I have a poor habit of not eating or not eating enough, I work a sedentary job but most days I move around a lot. As my children get older my activeness continues to dwindle. A few years ago I had a car accident cracking 3 ribs and injuring my left knee and that caused me to become even more sedentary. As a result, my weight has drastically changed. Also, I suffer from severe asthma and allergies which make dieting hard and going without food extremely easy. and when I have exacerbated the medications to counter that also increase weight. A month ago I was feeling horrible and joined a wonderful gym. They listen and they are very helpful but its only step one. This month we will tackle eating with a 10-week food challenge. I am using this app/group to document my efforts and hold myself more accountable...
  • heybales
    Good program to get yourself to eating at a reasonable level.
    And with stressed out body, it may even be that your's can't take the amount of diet another healthy body could.
    Hope the workouts help strength everything - can help immensely.
  • annieupp
    annieupp Posts: 2 Member
    Hi, I'm Ann. I'm the heaviest I've ever been at 55 years old (almost to 160) and can't seem to get myself in control. I've always been able to in the past. I lack the desire to get out there and move and also need to curb the evening snacks and weekend beverages - not worth the extra calories. Always looking for encouragement.
  • tobygrimme
    tobygrimme Posts: 3 Member
    Hello! I am Toby. I want to lose about 30 pounds. I am tired of starving and then bingeing so that I end up staying same weight. I hope this is the answer.

I have read everything I can find and think I have a good grasp of how this works. I just have one question...
    Can I have wine a couple of days a week as long as I stay within my calorie goal?I just want to make this sustainable for a lifetime and I know I like some wine on the weekends!
  • Welcome Toby! And yes on the wine. Corinne Crabtree talks about it all the time in her podcast How to lose 100lbs. Her no BS ways of teaching you how to lose and keep it off forever are quite inspiring. Anyway that’s one person that does it successfully.
  • Welcome @annieupp
    annieupp wrote: »
    Hi, I'm Ann. I'm the heaviest I've ever been at 55 years old (almost to 160) and can't seem to get myself in control. I've always been able to in the past. I lack the desire to get out there and move and also need to curb the evening snacks and weekend beverages - not worth the extra calories. Always looking for encouragement.

Sounds like a great start! I’d say jump right in an see how it goes. We are here to help.

• dzzylzzy
    dzzylzzy Posts: 3 Member
    Hi I am looking for all the support i can get i have had baruatric sugery twice and am stuck not losing and i am only about 30 lbs from goal,,,,
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    keesh1123 wrote: »
    Welcome to the EM2WL MFP forum!

Joining a new forum can be daunting (information everywhere!) and it can feel lonely when you are packed between thousands of other members, but we don't want you to feel that way! EM2WL is a family of encouraging members who don't desire to see anyone slip through the cracks!

So that we know you are here :) , please introduce yourself and tell us a little about what brought you here!

Welcome aboard!

Hello. As you can see, my name is Tony, and I'm a 53 year old male. According to my MFP home page, it's been 1269 days since I have been doing this.

I've never been very heavy, but still got technically overweight based on the ideal weight charts. My adult range has been between 165 and 182. My mission is to stay as near to 165 as possible.

In May 2016, the Doctor said I was pre-diabetic so I wanted to stop the numbers actually moving into the diabetic stage. I've been mainly successful, but the last few pounds seem difficult to lose.

Hoping this group will inspire me to reach the finish line.
  • Welcome. You can do anything you put your mind to. Be your amazing future self today!
  • delialayne635
    delialayne635 Posts: 1 Member
    Hello!!! I'm Delia and hoping that I can stay with the program and find support on here.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Very good Delia. It's the season to eat, drink, and be merry, but you can do it.
  • queenstatus
    queenstatus Posts: 267 Member
    Count me in! i am just coming back and I need all of the support and encouragement that I can get. I keep trying to come back and then I just drop off. My life has become extremely busy and I do not have much time to even sleep more or less than anything else but I need to do something because my weight has actually went above what it was when I started. My Sciatic nerve is constantly killing me because of this. Does anyone have any suggestions to help me help me
  • heybales
    Since sciatic can knock you out of sleep and any activity, I'd suggest seeing what can be helped there.
    Quality of life has to be good enough to feel like making changes to eating properly and increased activity.

If you recall a single incident after which it started hurting, it may be starting at a disc, so a PT at the least, Dr better to confirm/deny that.

It could be tight belt/clothes in just the worst spot if weight caused tight situation. Massage around hips while reducing pinch point can help.

It could be tight muscles pinching in some way, piriformis or such.

It could be helped merely by some proper stretching.

Start here to narrow down, and if piriformis use their video for that.

https://youtu.be/e3r29g7k2Hk
  • tegarmon
    tegarmon Posts: 3 Member
    keesh1123 wrote: »
    Welcome to the EM2WL MFP forum!

Joining a new forum can be daunting (information everywhere!) and it can feel lonely when you are packed between thousands of other members, but we don't want you to feel that way! EM2WL is a family of encouraging members who don't desire to see anyone slip through the cracks!

So that we know you are here :) , please introduce yourself and tell us a little about what brought you here!

Welcome aboard!

• tegarmon
    tegarmon Posts: 3 Member
    I am a nurse. And I realize that I am ineffective helping people if I can’t help myself. I am at 326lbs right now, I’ve lost 40lbs this past year. However, I have found since I’ve put exercise in my routine, I have stalled for months- not gained anything, just stopped. There is soooo much out there that I’m not sure what’s best for me.... I want to do things that are sustainable for life.... so I’m eating 1800 calories a day, but I’m not sure if the combo of food is right- or if it’s too little calories or to many calories... the one thing I have noticed is when I eat a low carb diet then have a day where I eat higher fat and even carb intake I lose pounds... but that diet is soooo restrictive... ideas? Anyone?
  • heybales
    tegarmon wrote: »
    I am a nurse. And I realize that I am ineffective helping people if I can’t help myself. I am at 326lbs right now, I’ve lost 40lbs this past year. However, I have found since I’ve put exercise in my routine, I have stalled for months- not gained anything, just stopped. There is soooo much out there that I’m not sure what’s best for me.... I want to do things that are sustainable for life.... so I’m eating 1800 calories a day, but I’m not sure if the combo of food is right- or if it’s too little calories or to many calories... the one thing I have noticed is when I eat a low carb diet then have a day where I eat higher fat and even carb intake I lose pounds... but that diet is soooo restrictive... ideas? Anyone?

Depending on length of time doing the low carb you lose water weight fast.
    But you can still overeat on any diet method and take in more calories than you burn. Some make it harder to accomplish - but still possible.

When you started doing more (exercise), did you correctly eat more?
    Was 1800 the number before exercise and then you kept it?
    And with being a nurse and likely active on the job, perhaps at home too - what activity level did you select?

Deficit may be way too big causing stress to body, stress increases cortisol, that increases retained water.
    So inches could be dropping (do measure, scale isn't best means of deciding fat loss is happening) but not weight.
    Obviously if body is that stressed it's not good, and you could easily have other negatives like it slowing you down in several ways as it adapts.

Combo of food is what allows you to adhere to a reasonable calorie goal, have good macros - and be something you can sustain from now into maintenance.
    That could be a time restricted diet method - IF.
    Could be macro restricted - low carb or Keto.
    Could be just eating less of things you like.

Now - reasonable rate for you would be 2 lbs weekly at this point - but more isn't better always unless you have severe health issues related to being overweight.