WEIGHT NO MORE - February 2020 Chat

jugar
jugar Posts: 10,271 Member
Welcome Fat2Fit Challengers

Here is your Team chat room! This is where you weigh in every week, post your goals and progress, discuss any issues or topics of interest, share ideas, support your teammates, receive help when you need it, and dream big. Cheer each other on to success!

We are beginning the February 2020 Challenge - We have six great teams this month. The group and team leaders are as follows:
Our Moderators:
Liselyn - @jugar
Beka - @beka3695
Lisa - @cafelelia
Teresa - @TeresaW1020

Our Team Captains:
*Mission Slimpossible - @broncobuddee and @TeresaW1020
*Trimstones - @mulecanter and @jessicakrall8
*Weight No More - @sleepymom5 and @cafelelia
*Waist Aways - @jugar and @micki48
*Shrinking Assets - @Boehle and @beka3695
*Downsizers - @lindamtuck2018 and (open)

Our Team Motivators:
*Mission Slimpossible - @AustinRuadhain
*Trimstones - @Angmarie28
*Weight No More - @nstephenson01
*Waist Aways - @Terytha and @evangsimmons170
*Shrinking Assets - @TheMrWobbly (Fitness Captain)
*Downsizers - @UTMom81 and @Kres567

HOW IT ALL WORKS:
Every challenger weighs in on their chosen day, and at the end of each week, the tallies are done to determine the team and individuals with the most weight lost. The best losers are announced with full fanfare every Sunday. The team competition is all in good spirits - may the most losing win!

If you need a week off, a break, a change of weigh-in day - just ask your Captain here on your team chat page. If you miss two weigh-ins in a row without asking for a break, you will be dropped from the team, so be sure to ask if you are travelling, sick, or just needing some time off.

In addition to your own team, there are F2F Full Group CHALLENGES. You can do all or none - it's up to you. Participating adds a lot to your success, so we hope to see you there often! These can involve anything fitness, health, or nutrition - and they’ll get you moving, thinking, and learning about this journey. Check the “Announcements” section for full group challenges.

This month, we have the Leaping Groundhog Challenge! Every day, there will be a question (TWO on groundhog day!!). The more people who post their thoughts and ideas on the question, the more we’ll all learn, and new ways of losing weight and getting fit might come to your attention. The more you read and post, the better it will be - so get ready to answer all 29 questions!

There will also be shorter challenges to get you moving, watching what is on your plate, or getting out of a rut.

Let’s show our fellow challengers some F2F love!! Introduce yourselves right away, and let the new month begin.

THANKS!

Replies

• pacsnc6
    pacsnc6 Posts: 978 Member
    My name is Patsy, I am 67 and retired. I love not having to go to work early every morning. I am not an early morning person though I am awake most days by 6:30. I am definitely NOT raring to go until about 8. I go to a water aerobics class twice a week at 9:30 a.m. and volunteer at church or school the other three days for an hour or so.
    I read a lot, mostly fiction. My brother is an author and I am one of his proof readers. I really enjoy that. I like to do puzzles of all kinds. I have several cross stitch art works I've done over many years that hang all over my house and some I have given away.
    I have lived in North Carolina over 30 years, grew up in Massachusetts but had to get away from the snow, moved to Louisiana for ten years, then found the mid point here in NC was the place to stay.
    I am not an athlete, though I like to walk and to ride a bicycle. I don't get much exercise other than the water aerobics. My current daily goal on the Apple watch is 360 "move calories" which I try to meet - met only 12 times in January so need to work on that.
    I joined this group in 2018 and love all the helpful support we give each other.
  • tryingagain5
    tryingagain5 Posts: 1,037 Member
    I'm Linda, 50 and live in Michigan. I don't have kids but have 3 grown nephews who are married.

I've been on this team since October 2019. Thank you to all who have encouraged me! It has been helpful.

I have two great nieces, one who will be 1 next week and one who is almost 3 months old.

I have had a weight issue most of my life and have lost and gained many pounds over the years. I have lost about 46 pounds since January of 2018 and probably have around 50 or so more to lose. I work with a trainer at my gym three times a week, he works me really hard, which is what I want. I'm much stronger now than when I started. He has given me workouts to do on my own when I'm not working with him. I usually give myself one rest day per week and weekends usually do some low intensity exercise at home.

I have support and accountability from my trainer and other people in my life but can always use more.

My goals for are basically continuing from October.
    Get in fruits and veggies and water. Would like to do the following everyday but know that's not realistic so I'm going for 4 days per week.
    Fruit goal: 4
    Veggie goals: 4
    Water: 64 oz
  • nstephenson01
    nstephenson01 Posts: 854 Member
    Welcome new and returning members!!

I'm Nancy, 50, married for 19 years, no kids, 2 elderly but still very active dogs, born and raised in California but relocated to beautiful Montana 8 years ago. My husband works on long term construction projects that take him away from home for extended periods of time. He was just home for a couple of months but left yesterday for a project in Pennsylvania. When he's gone its just me and the dogs watching Hallmark movies or roaming around our 45 acres. Joined MFP January 2017 and F2F October 2017. Highest weight recorded on MFP was 220.5. Not sure about goal weight but currently aiming for 158 - 160. I'm 5'8". Lowest weight was 164; CW is 170 :( January was a bad month for me

Favorite form of exercise is hiking in the mountains with my dogs. I have reached a place where I enjoy exercising and do some form of activity pretty much every day. I lost most of my weight by (1) cleaning up my diet to mostly whole/real/minimally processed foods... lean protein, fruit/veggies, whole grains & raw nuts and (2) exercising. For me this journey has had to be a lifestyle change that I can sustain, not a quick fix. I've always had a big appetite so if I don't eat right I gain weight very quickly. My husband and I love to cook. I'm a huge fan of JessicaSmithTV strength training YouTube videos as my upper body has always been very weak but now I can open my own jars LOL I've learned so much from this team and I wouldn't be where I am on my journey without all of you.

Goals for February: "Right the ship"
    - Stop gaining!!
    - 2 yoga classes/2 strength training sessions/2 bowflex intervals per week & walk when the weather cooperates
    - Cut back on the wine
    - Meal plan, pre-log & stop overeating
  • phoebe112476
    phoebe112476 Posts: 269 Member
    @rundgrenrocks - I love your fitness goals. So specific and seem doable. Keep us posted. I would love updates. I need to try to find some time to think of similar clear and specific and obtainable fitness goals. My strengths are in eating plan. I am much less focused on or comfortable with the fitness/ exercise aspects of health. Thanks for your inspiration today. That is why I love this group.

@tryingagain5 - Your consistent posts and daily updates are great fun to read. Thanks for the time you take nearly each day to post. I, for one, appreciate you taking the time to share the details of your journey with this team. It helps us all.

@nstephenson01 - You will "right your ship" and February will be your month. I have also noted the last few months how fat I seem to be able to gain if I have every a few days of not eating well. I think this is just part of being closer to goal/ less weight to lose. The margins really seem so little. I am reminded of my nearly nightly popcorn eating from several months back that stopped my weight loss for several weeks. All because I thought I was eating 100 calories and it was closer to 400 cals per bag. Sigh. This is a path for life and mostly that is good, but some days it just seems better to eat. :smile:
  • tryingagain5
    @phoebe112476
    Thanks for the kind words. I had been thinking about taking a break from posting because of the time commitment and I've been working a lot of OT lately so it's been harder to be consistent but having you say it helps makes me think I should continue to do so. I know reading about everyone else's journey has also been helpful to me.

I love all the food pics. Did you roast the broccoli? If so, how long and what temp and how much olive oil?
  • Mrsbell8well
    Mrsbell8well Posts: 1,652 Member
    @pacsnc6 have you taken the quiz “1000 books you have probably read? I am in the top 7% tile. I read a lot too.
    @nstephenson01 I like your goals. I have always said you are a poster child for maintenance! Great job keeping that weight off.
    @tryingagain5 glad to have you on our team! You made it through the holidays with us.
    @rundgrenrocks I too like your specific goals. It’s how I achieved success. Set the goal then accomplish it. Repeat.
    @phoebe112476 love the pictures what a treat. Always enjoy your monthly assessments and goals.
    @sleepymom5 I think your doing great. Keep stringing those awesome days together. Sounds like you have a fun weekend planned as usual. Enjoy and behave lol.
  • tryingagain5
    @Mrsbell8well
    Thank you. Glad you are feeling better. Sounds like you're going to have a fun night. Enjoy your dinner.
  • tryingagain5
    @phoebe112476
    Thanks. That sounds good. I"ll have to try that sometime. I don't have sesame oil but do have olive oil. I have broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and potatoes at home right now. Maybe I"ll just roast all of it.
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,271 Member
    Your February is off to a brilliant start! Great food photos... Good thing I already ate dinner!

Our February Moderators' Challenge is UP! The first day's question (for tomorrow) has been posted, so go ahead and put in some answers. There will be a new question every day - so I hope lots of people will join in and make the discussions packed with info and insights.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10783307/leaping-groundhogs-the-02-2020-questions-challenge#latest
  • pacsnc6
    pacsnc6 Posts: 978 Member
    @Mrsbell8well I have looked at some of those book lists and found that I have read a large number but didn't pay attention to the percentage. Some of the lists include books I read in high school. Maybe next time I see a list I'll pay more attention.
    Your supper looks delicious, it's a great way to spend time with your grandkids!
  • starcrystal3
    starcrystal3 Posts: 91 Member
    Hi Everyone! I'm Crystal :smile:

This is my first group or team challenge, so bear with me as I get the hang of how the forums and posting work. MFP has helped me lose 30+ pounds on two separate occasions, several years apart. Whenever I don't track my food, the pounds slowly creep back, so I try not to stray too far from MFP. Currently, I have about 15 pounds to lose.

I'm ready to get back to daily posting and a tune-up on my portion control. My goals in February are to increase my H20, maintain a consistent exercise schedule (running 2-3 times per week and Yoga every weekend). I love how good I feel, the energy I have and just the simple ability to breathe better when I'm staying active. I'm aiming for my first 5k in April.

Looking forward to connecting with this group to keep each other motivated!
  • starcrystal3
    @phoebe112476 I'm a cilantro fan, too! Your pics look nutritional & delish! I feel like you might be my food inspiration.

@rundgrenrocks Having specific goals gives you more focus! Great job identifying those things that will benefit you the most.

@nstephenson01 "Right the ship" - inspiring motto!

@sleepymom5 Thanks so much for sharing your group with me! I'm really excited to connect more closely with other health-minded women.
  • tryingagain5
    Saturday 2/1 check in
    Food: tracked but over
    Water: 64 oz
    Exercise: 20 minutes low intensity at home

I've been over on food but started tracking again so that's good.

I got a massage today, which was really nice. I try to go every few months. If I could I'd go every day but can't afford to do that.

My sister's birthday is next week but we celebrated tonight. There were only 5 of us but my sister made enough for more than that. She's a great cook. I ate too much at her house and I was hungry all day so I've pretty much been eating all day. A lot of it was healthy items but still too much food. Something I still need to work on.

Other than the massage and dinner at my sister's I didn't do much with my day.
  • Freeglerock
    Freeglerock Posts: 2,864 Member
    @tryingagain5 sounds like a lovely day. I love massages as well, but only seem to get one about once a year, though I may try to change that!

@Mrsbell8well That Sundae looks AMAZING!

@ljdanny hope your granddaughter is feeling better soon. Always such a worry when they are so young. xx
  • Freeglerock
    Freeglerock Posts: 2,864 Member
    @nstephenson01 I like your saying "Right the ship", that is exactly what I need to do to. Need to get the balance going again - mind and body!

@rundgrenrocks I like your exercise/fitness goals. I really struggle on this front, but I really like your attitude to this and may well steal your idea :-)

@phoebe112476 your food looks great! I shall try to take some pics of my food (so long as it looks vaguely presentable!) To post here too. I also can't wait to start growing some bits - home grown always tastes great!

@starcrystal3 welcome, sounds like you are doing really well, and I like your goals for the month. May I ask, ate you already able to do 5k, or are you currently building yourself up to it?
  • sleepymom5
    sleepymom5 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Saturday 2/1 check in
    Food: tracked and on target
    Water: at least 64 oz
    Exercise: at least 30 min walking, PT, Stretching and Strength

Did not make the best choices at lunch as we shared snacks but I did just eat till I was satisfied. I did end up having 2 drinks that I wasn't planning to. Still overall a good day. It is also 10:40 pm and I haven't eaten since 4:15. I wanted to see how I would do. I really am not as hungry as I always think I will be. I wanted to have some cereal at about 8 because I didn't want to be starving later. I resisted the urge and am still not hungry. Don't get me wrong, I do want to eat Lol! But it isn't because I am hungry. It is partly because I am afraid I will be hungry later, partly because I am not really doing anything and partly out of habit. I am actually tired and am going to bed once I post this. I am happy I decided to hold out. I will be much happier in the morning.

I really look forward to reading these introductions each month! I always learn something new! Thanks for jumping right in and starting introductions! Keep them coming!

@Mrsbell8well You are an inspiration! You have come so far and you are constantly reading up and learning new healthy ways of eating. Hannah's dinner looks so yummy, especially dessert! You always have such delicious and healthy meals. I love the pic of Lula Mae and Hannah's dad. I like how she has her little paw on his leg! Lol!
    @pacsnc6 You have been such a supportive member of our team. I am so happy that you are with us.
    @tryingagain5 I am glad that you are here. You have given so much support and I have learned a lot from you. It seems like you have been here longer than Oct. I am not doing well with the fruit or veggies either. I will have a salad at a meal and think I am good. I need to make a plan to fit them in. I may have to set the bar lower and start at 4 total or 2 fruit and 2 veggies until I make that a routine...I am glad that you do post every day but I don't want it to become stressful for you. You do have a busy schedule. I find posting daily helps keep me focused. Do what works best for you. I don't want you to get stressed and then not be in the group. We love having you here :) Sounds like a nice birthday for your sister. Sometimes it is hard to not over eat at celebrations. I am working on that as well. I really think if we just eat when we are truly hungry and stop when satisfied, we would lose. We have been over eating for a long time so it is going to take time for us to make this new habit. We just have to keep working on it. I hope you enjoyed your massage and otherwise quiet day. You are usually so busy that it probably was a nice treat.
    @nstephenson01 45 Acres?!! I knew you had a lot of property but Wow! I am curious, did you hike like you do now at your heaviest? You really have made many life style changes and even though January wasn't the best (for either of us Lol!) I know you will get back into your routine and get the scale moving in the right direction. I also don't know how much you drink but try substituting herbal tea. Especially this time of year. When you really want wine, it may not help but when you want to relax and treat yourself a little, for some reason it helps me.
    @rundgrenrocks I can't even tell you how happy I am that you are here. I have learned so much from you. First of all that blog, I wish you would write more but I understand how time consuming that is and also putting it all out there. I also sang that onderland parady each time I got back into onderland Lol! I think it was at least 2 since you posted that. Then connecting with our kids, the ice coffee, and I discovered I always loved Tod Rundgren but didn't know it Lol! I think of you whenever a song of his comes on! I also like the way you described your exercise goals. I am doing sorta the same thing, forced by my PT. It is funny how I will actually do squats now because I need to build strength. It sounds like you joined here at the perfect time. Sometimes we need to do something a little different to get our heads back in the game. It is amazing how much we learn from each other. I really think you are going to like it here.
    @phoebe112476 I am really embarrassed to admit it but for shrimp tacos, you just cook the shrimp, put it on there like that and add the toppings? Why do I make these things harder than they have to be Lol! All your meals look delicious! I know that you are probably very in tune to your hunger with following phit and phat. Maybe you are really hungry and need to eat a little more. I was eating less at the shore, interestingly when I was gaining weight this summer, especially my wrap at lunch. I was down to 1/2 wrap, 1/2 baked lays and a yogurt. Then this fall, I realized I was hungry and I have been eating all of it. I still stop to be sure (most days ;) ) . I also have been losing since then. (Except January...) . I know it all comes down to more than one meal but just consider maybe you need to eat. Are you doing anything else that would make you need more fuel? Maybe the additional yoga? Or all that painting? Awesome loss in January and awesome NSV with getting into the "normal" BMI. I am excited that I have a few more pounds before I go from obese to just overweight, I am sure I will be even more excited to get where you are! You just have such productive months with every aspect of your life! I also have to say, how awesome that you have an attached apartment for your disabled daughter. I am sure she loves the independence while still being close.
    @starcrystal3 I am so glad you are here! If you have any questions feel free to ask. We will help. I love your February goals! Sounds like you have done well before so I know you will get those last 15 lbs off for good.
    @ljdanny I forgot the baby was due this month!! How exciting! Two little ones and I am still waiting...Lol! One of these days...I am sorry to hear your granddaughter is sick, especially when they are still so little. I am glad she is home with you and didn't have to be admitted. Just out of curiosity, you neck and hip...are they the same side? All my issues seem to be the same side of my body so I am taking an informal poll of people I know. Most are the same side. What I am going to do with my poll results, I don't know but I find that interesting. Let's make February the month we break out of our gaining and losing the same amount. We need to keep the scale moving downward.
    @Freeglerock No, February is not going to be an easy one for you. I think you are going to have to force yourself to make a plan. I was never a smoker but my husband was. The 3rd time quitting was the charm and he hasn't smoked for over 15 years. He did the patch but I think the last time he finally had his head together and really wanted to quit. Do you have a plan for when you have a craving or want to smoke. He went through a ton of toothpicks when he quit. I know he used to call a friend when he drove home from work as that was a time he smoked. I would imagine if you can think of situations when you would want to smoke and make a plan how to handle them. Maybe sugarless gum? I know people gain when the substitute food for the cigarettes. I also think you should make a plan for your health. Make a plan each day and make sure you get your exercise and plan your food. It really doesn't take long. It will be easier to do ahead of time instead of making decisions when you are tired or emotional. Most of all be kind to yourself. You are making a lot of changes, things wont go perfect. Don't beat yourself up, just dust yourself off and keep going. You have so much going on but you still need to take care of yourself. You can do anything you set your mind to. You probably didn't think you could get through the month you just had and here you are on the other side. You are stronger than you know. Hugs my friend!
  • starcrystal3
    @Freeglerock - Thanks for the welcome! I'm building to the 5k!!! It's actually a little intimidating to me; furthest I've run (ever) is just over a mile. I'm following a training plan that uses interval training (similar to Couch to 5k) and the next two weeks really start ramping up. Wish me luck!! Another goal of mine has been to catch up with technology, so I just got my first fitness tracker watch this week (a Garmin).

Sounds like you've found a lot of support in this group - I'm looking forward to that. Through the ups and downs, it's nice to have people in your corner. To listen, to cheer, to relate.
  • Hi everyone, I'm joining you for Feb - it's nice to be here :)

A little bit about me... my name is Kristy. I'm from New Zealand where I live right by the East Coast in Auckland, with the beach practically on my doorstep. I met my husband 20 years ago this year and we have four children, 16 (G), 14 (B) and 11 year old twins (G/B). My day job is pretty boring - I'm a Technical Writer, so I get to work with a lot of engineers and I also get to sit down at a desk a lot.

I've had weight problems since I was a child, and a pesky eating disorder that started when I was 10 or so. My weight has gone up and down... mostly up until back in late 2011 I was pretty desperate to avoid weight loss surgery (personal preference, after my mother had it.) I started out with Weight Watchers, at 149.2kg / 329 lbs, and after a while found MFP. By mid 2014 I was maintaining a 73kg/160lb loss, which I managed for 2 years. Then life happened. Suffice it to say I never really dealt with the eating disorder, and I didn't cope well with chronic pain and a whole lot of stress on top of it. One day in late 2018 I had a mini-epiphany and realised that I was essentially poisoning myself with sugar (my go-to binge food) and I truly couldn't stop eating it even though I hated the taste of it by that point. That prompted me to seek out professional help for my ED and learning how to eat "like a normal person" (hah!) before being allowed to lose weight again.

So here I am, life is calmer and I'm a whole lot heavier than I was 3.5 years ago. I don't like it, but we're all stories in the end. I still have issues with pain and suffer severe migraines, but I have no excuses. A few years back after losing all the weight that I did, I got qualified as a Personal Trainer and did some extra study in nutrition, so I have plenty of knowledge, not to mention a gym set up in my garage! Each little thing that I can do adds up, and I really miss the fit and healthy me that I was a few years back. I'd rather keep taking steps towards being healthier than give up and get nowhere.

Looking forward to getting to know you all... I've been reading through the January posts a bit and I'll try to join in for Feb. I have discovered that I can't post at all from my app (it's buggy as anything and support don't seem to care). So I'll try and log in from my laptop each evening :smile:
This discussion has been closed.