TEAM: Gutbusters (February)

Options

Replies

• craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    fe452436 wrote: »
    Thank you so much for your advice @craigo3154
    I will start intermittent fasting from today and will continue it.I will ask my doctor to revise the dosage of metformin.Its more than requirement. Thanks again.

@fe452436. Keep a good monitor on the blood sugar.

Metformin works my increasing muscle cells sensitivity to insulin (muscles will absorb more glucose) and reduces liver release of glucose in response to glucagon (blood sugar rises from liver store more slowly when fasting).

2000mg in the normal dose range (1500mg - 2550mg per day), but less than the maximum dose. Reduction to 1500mg per day may be possible after discussions with doctor.

Fasting, (overnight, 8 hours of not eating), is the usual measurement people look at. If fasting blood sugar is consistently in the 4's (4-5 mmol/L {US equivalent is 72-90 mg/dl}), then a lower dose is usually recommended. If consistently above 5 mmol/L, or 90 mg/dl, then may be best to stay n the dosage you are on (unless you have side-effects you cannot live with). Consistent high blood sugar is quite dangerous (eyesight, kidney function, circulation, etc..) which is why this symptom is so aggressively treated.

Dr Jason Fung has a number of good references about intermittent fasting and it's effects on diabetes and pre-diabetes. A lot of doctors are not up to date with intermittent fasting (IF), autophagy and diabetes reversal.

A large part of a medical degree is medication and little is taught about diet, metabolism and food macros. Common teaching is that type 2 diabetes is progressive and incurable however treatable with ever increasing doses of insulin and other blood glucose controlling drugs. Taking insulin WILL make you put on weight (as it tells the body to turn any excess into fat and store it). You want to avoid insulin for as LONG as possible. Insulin is prescribed when Metformin (and other blood glucose drugs) are not doing enough.

(As you may be able to to tell I have done A LOT of research on this topic. My wife is type 2. I was likely heading for pre-diabetes before I lost weight (symptoms were there, just never tested)).
  • craigo3154
    Options
    February 23
    Exercised: Yes (moving an upright freezer, cleaning and de-icing thoroughly and restoring it to service)
    Tracked: Yes
    Budget: Yes

I am counting the freezer as exercise as:
    1. it is the size (and weight) of a full height fridge.
    2. it needed to be moved up and down stairs for de-icing and cleaning.
    3. to move it required moving at least twice as much other stuff to clear a path.
    4. it took 3 hours of continuous effort to move, de-ice, dry, move back (so it's contents did not thaw in temporary storage).

Rest of day seemed to go OK.
  • Keepingtrack1234
    Keepingtrack1234 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Good morning! It's Sunday!

Today we’re looking for weigh-ins from:

@33sandy1223

Please post using this template:
    Username
    February Week 4
    PW:
    CW:
  • fe452436
    fe452436 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Thanks @craigo3154
  • BonnieHosk85
    BonnieHosk85 Posts: 2,552 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Walking Ollie 32 minutes
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes
  • Keepingtrack1234
    Options
    craigo3154 wrote: »
    February 23
    Exercised: Yes (moving an upright freezer, cleaning and de-icing thoroughly and restoring it to service)

I am counting the freezer as exercise as:
    1. it is the size (and weight) of a full height fridge.
    2. it needed to be moved up and down stairs for de-icing and cleaning.
    3. to move it required moving at least twice as much other stuff to clear a path.
    4. it took 3 hours of continuous effort to move, de-ice, dry, move back (so it's contents did not thaw in temporary storage).

Rest of day seemed to go OK.

Believe me, NO ONE would questions moving and cleaning a freezer as exercise lol. That is LEGIT!
  • Keepingtrack1234
    Options
    2/22/20:
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? 30 minutes walking Ollie throughout the travel day

BonnieHosk85
    February Week 3
    PW: 221.8
    CW: 222

Not as bad as I thought it might be. Lots of restaurant food while in Fla. Made it home last night at 9 p.m. after traveling about 12 hours. Our pup Ollie was a trooper for the whole trip and everyone fell in love with him. My father-in-law's funeral service was honoring to him and my sons and nephew were pallbearers. We're so sorry he's gone, but so thankful he's not in pain any longer.

Back on it this morning. We're staying home from church and will be watching the service online. We are exhausted. This trip was so emotionally draining and physically tiring. I am glad my husband came home with me. He originally was going to stay this next week but felt it necessary to come on home. Losing his second parent has been harder than losing his mom two years ago. My boys are doing well. This was their last grandparent. My nephew took my boys and daughter-in-law to Animal Kingdom at Disney World Friday so that was a good distraction for them. My DIL loves animals so she was thrilled to see it all.
    0vfsrainbibi.jpg

Glad to hear you are home and can all begin to rest and process and heal. That's such a cute picture of your kids and your daughter in law! Glad you're back. :)
  • kaj848
    kaj848 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Feb 23
    Exercise? Yes run/walk
    Tracked? Yes
    Under calories: yep
  • Colleen790
    Colleen790 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    February 24
    Exercised? Some vacuuming and housework.
    Calories? Yes
    Tracked? Yes
  • Keepingtrack1234
    Options
    Good morning! It's the last week of February. How are you? Let's hear about what's working and how to BUILD on those things that are working!
    @looneycatblue suggested a mini challenge of a 20 minute walk per day! If . you want to join, check in on this daily!

Today we’re looking for weigh-ins from:

@abigail659
    @audreypawdrey--got it, thanks!
    @BB_1033
    @Coccolino30
    @looneycatblue
    @metubal

Please post using this template:
    Username
    February Week 4

PW:
    CW:
  • BonnieHosk85
    BonnieHosk85 Posts: 2,552 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Recumbent bike, 20 minutes

Seeing the mini-challenge a little late to do it today, but I'll do that for the rest of the week. :smile:
  • Keepingtrack1234
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? light cardio, 20 minute walk
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? No
    :)
  • kaj848
    kaj848 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Exercise? Not today
    Stay under calories? Yes.
    Tracked everything? Yes

feeling hungry andreally wanting to be snacky tonight, but having a can of tuna instead and going to bed so I won’t do anything naughty haha
  • audreypawdrey
    audreypawdrey Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Monday
    Exercise: yoga with weights-60 minutes; 3 mile walk with dog-55 minutes
    Mini- challenge met!
    Stay under calories: probably
    Tracked: everything but dinner

• matthewsfive
    matthewsfive Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    @Keepingtrack1234

matthewsfive
    Feb week 4
    PW:178.6
    CW:177

Weighing in a few days early heading out for surgery. Will check back in with weight in a few weeks. Was told that there will be a lot of swelling so not going to get on the scale for a little while.

• craigo3154
    Options
    February 25
    Exercised: No

Side effects from starting medication yesterday. Did not sleep well. Concentration varied between foggy and sleepy. Also queasy most of the day but still ate out of necessity. Well inside budget as unable to eat much.

Early bed time tonight.

Hopefully tomorrow is a better day.
This discussion has been closed.