WAISTAWAYS TEAM CHAT - March 2020

Options

Replies

• jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,097 Member
    Options
    Well, folks - here we are near the end of Thursday here where I live, and somewhere within a few hours of that either direction for some of you.

It really felt like we are getting close to the equinox today - the sun is getting strong, and the creatures are really out and about. I hope we are also getting some of that energy! I have had a bit too much eating energy today, but also did a good and intense workout. How are you all getting ready for spring?

Reminders!

Overdue weigh-ins:
    ejdp254
    Juliemargaretkim

FRIDAY heads up! Be ready to get those numbers in tomorrow :smiley:
    @jugar
    @AmyRobF
    @Pearl4686
    @Steph1498
    @mrs_chivonne
    @bunnybuns1111
    @conleywoods
    @robertefortier536
    @Shexio
    @evangsimmons170
  • Gidgitgoescrazy
    Gidgitgoescrazy Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday ! Finally.... I am going to see the doc today, to hopefully get some meds for this sinus infection... It's really bothersome, I hit a bump on the way to work this morning and I swore I felt my brain hit my skull, everything in my head and face is just so sensitive, it's driving me crazy, but other than that I feel perfectly fine...

I had scheduled 30 minutes on the treadmill yesterday, but to get my 7k steps, I had to do 40 so I got a bonus 10 minutes... Yay me...

Steps for 3/5 - 7394

Although I decided to make Monday my weigh in day, I got on the scale this morning, and was happy, I am back to before I got sick, so as long as I can make it through the weekend without a big derailment, I should have a loss on monday... Ugh Weekends are so hard for me... I think I have a pretty good plan this weekend, we don't have to go out for anything except I am getting my hair done on saturday... Oh and ya know that photo thing, a few ladies on there have decided to transition to gray... I think once my Ireland trip is over, I am going to do the same, it will be summer time, and my hair will be up in a bun anyway, so it honestly will be the easiest time to get it cut shorter and let the gray growing begin... Hair upkeep is ridiculous, and I think I could rock some gray....

Have a great day and a great weekend !

• YinxFed
    YinxFed Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday ! Finally.... I am going to see the doc today, to hopefully get some meds for this sinus infection... It's really bothersome, I hit a bump on the way to work this morning and I swore I felt my brain hit my skull, everything in my head and face is just so sensitive, it's driving me crazy, but other than that I feel perfectly fine...

I had scheduled 30 minutes on the treadmill yesterday, but to get my 7k steps, I had to do 40 so I got a bonus 10 minutes... Yay me...

Steps for 3/5 - 7394

Although I decided to make Monday my weigh in day, I got on the scale this morning, and was happy, I am back to before I got sick, so as long as I can make it through the weekend without a big derailment, I should have a loss on monday... Ugh Weekends are so hard for me... I think I have a pretty good plan this weekend, we don't have to go out for anything except I am getting my hair done on saturday... Oh and ya know that photo thing, a few ladies on there have decided to transition to gray... I think once my Ireland trip is over, I am going to do the same, it will be summer time, and my hair will be up in a bun anyway, so it honestly will be the easiest time to get it cut shorter and let the gray growing begin... Hair upkeep is ridiculous, and I think I could rock some gray....

Have a great day and a great weekend !

If it's any consolation, I've been going grey since I was in my 20s. It never really bothered me and with naturally afro curly hair no one else seemed to care. Last autumn, I got it cut into a short tapered style and I am truly salt and pepper. But I love it! And at 56 years old, I rather feel that I have earned each grey hair! :)
  • Shexio
    Shexio Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Steps thursday : 14936

Weigh in 104.0!!!!!!!’

• jugar
    Options
    Happy Friday! It is great to hear about the going grey people (I love the company...) and plans for the weekend. I had a disappointing, but not surprising, weigh-in this morning. I need to get back to work on portions and eliminating my grocery store=treat habit. I go to the grocery store too often to let this one get away from me!

I have a happy announcement this morning! @micki48 and I have been talking with @evangsimmons170 and @conleywoods about our team Motivator role. Rhonda (@evangsimmons170) has a lot on her plate with a huge job, a new (renewed!) relationship, ambitious exercise plan, and some side jobs. This has made it hard for her to devote enough time to motivating the team, but I am sure that during the summer when school is off, we will be hearing a lot more from her again. Personally, I love Rhonda's smart, supportive, and interesting posts - and that isn't going away! But for the ongoing role of Motivator, Kristi (@conleywoods) has accepted to step up. She has already been supportive and posts frequently, and that will just get better as she goes ahead. We might see some internal challenges (just for our team), interesting discussion topics, and whatever else she might be cooking up. I am sure we will become a stronger team and get closer to our goals! Thanks, Kristi :heart:

On the subject of interesting subjects, I watched a video yesterday on goal fatigue. A couple of the memorable lines were "it glows, or it goes" and "give it your some". I have been avoiding using my planner because some of the steps in my plan were supposed to be finishing this month and are not on track. Instead of re-evaluating the goal or the plan, I was avoiding it. I feel better now simply revising, thinking about whether this goal is a good one for me right now, and the nature of the procrastination itself. Sometimes we procrastinate for a good reason, and just need to make something change. I'm usually happy when a plan is flexible and I get through it somehow, but parts of this were just not happening at all. It feels good to unblock the avoidance and get working on it!

Anyone else having some goal fatigue? Need to adjust your plan?
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    @jugar It's interesting you bring up goal fatigue now. We were just talking yesterday about how we have a hundred irons in the fire and a ton of long term goals for the future but it feels like the now is constantly stuck in this holding pattern. It's kind of mentally exhausting just waiting to see how it all turns out.

We're going to sit this weekend and talk about setting up some short term, easier to accomplish goals so we can actually feel like we're achieving something.

I think I mentioned before but the foam run was my first sort of run at my goal fatigue since it felt like my whole life was revolving around weight loss and I needed other things to work towards. But even that's still months away. I need something closer and easier to work on.

But first I need to solve a mystery. I must have fought a lion in my sleep last night, I woke up covered in cuts and scratches. What the heck.
  • jugar
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »
    @jugar It's interesting you bring up goal fatigue now. We were just talking yesterday about how we have a hundred irons in the fire and a ton of long term goals for the future but it feels like the now is constantly stuck in this holding pattern. It's kind of mentally exhausting just waiting to see how it all turns out.

We're going to sit this weekend and talk about setting up some short term, easier to accomplish goals so we can actually feel like we're achieving something.

I think I mentioned before but the foam run was my first sort of run at my goal fatigue since it felt like my whole life was revolving around weight loss and I needed other things to work towards. But even that's still months away. I need something closer and easier to work on.

But first I need to solve a mystery. I must have fought a lion in my sleep last night, I woke up covered in cuts and scratches. What the heck.

It was probably a raccoon. We live in Canada. But what the heck indeed!!

Short term goals are a great idea. Sometimes really short, and really small.
  • bunnybuns1111
    bunnybuns1111 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    PW 158.8
    CW 158.6
  • eggfreak
    eggfreak Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    jugar wrote: »

One of the things I don't like about our weekly weight reports is the recognition for large losses. Does anyone think there is a good way to recognize steady smaller losses over large temporary ones?

brainstorming on this...could it just be a point for the team if you lost (no matter the amount), none if you stayed the same, and a point if over? Or people declare their goal for the week, if they meet it, a point, etc...?
    I have my calories set for 1 lb loss/week....so I'm in no rush. I'm new here so I don't have any sense of how well the current system is working but I understand what you mean regarding the large losses vs small losses but maybe those aiming for small losses don't take it personally and it's just a fun way to move forward with similarly goaled people....I think that's how I'm feeling. :)
  • evangsimmons170
    evangsimmons170 Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    PW: 349.8
    CW: 349.6

Sigh....
  • jugar
    Options
    PW: 349.8
    CW: 349.6

Sigh....

It's a LOSS! :heart:
  • jugar
    Options
    eggfreak wrote: »
    jugar wrote: »

One of the things I don't like about our weekly weight reports is the recognition for large losses. Does anyone think there is a good way to recognize steady smaller losses over large temporary ones?

brainstorming on this...could it just be a point for the team if you lost (no matter the amount), none if you stayed the same, and a point if over? Or people declare their goal for the week, if they meet it, a point, etc...?
    I have my calories set for 1 lb loss/week....so I'm in no rush. I'm new here so I don't have any sense of how well the current system is working but I understand what you mean regarding the large losses vs small losses but maybe those aiming for small losses don't take it personally and it's just a fun way to move forward with similarly goaled people....I think that's how I'm feeling. :)

I like the idea of points. Really simple - if you're in the green (a loss) you get a point. One. If you are in the black (stay the same) you get 0. If you are in the red (a gain), you lose one point. One. No matter the amounts.

What does everyone think about this? Of course, once anyone is maintaining, maybe they get 1 point for green or black, and only lose one point for red. I think we could come up with a good score board for this, maybe just within our team for now. Any opinions????
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    And at 56 years old, I rather feel that I have earned each grey hair! :)

@YinxFed I hear you on that one. I earned every single one of my gray hairs. And I have stripes on the side of each temple that are extra silver.

@jugar It doesn’t really weigh heavy on me, but I have never made it in the top three for F2F or even for our team. I always seem to have bigger losses when everyone else has bigger losses. I’m more of a slow and steady person and that’s ok. One thing I have noticed is that some of the same people who repeatedly have huge weekly losses and make the top F2F three, also swing back and have bigger gains the next week. The Yo Yo big loss/gain is not a great way to approach this journey in my opinion. But, they get recognized, while those than lose tiny amounts week after week do not. Don’t get me wrong, I really don’t care, but thought the yo yo part was interesting. Points sound like an interesting idea to explore.

And on little goals and goal fatigue, this week I said I would have no ice cream, not forever, just this week. Having stated this little goal, definitely helps me be successful. No ice cream this week. Done ✅ I think I get logging fatigue as well. That’s why your idea of taking a day off from logging spoke to me. Sometimes I still log every day, but I don’t feel bad if I decide to take my weigh in day off.
  • YinxFed
    YinxFed Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Here's my little workout buddy, Edie. She is such a chilled little doggie - she found a sun spot on the rug and had no intention of relinquishing it, no matter how much I asked her to!
  • jugar
    Options
    Such a cute pup, @YinxFed - and the sunshine spot is the best spot!

@micki48 - I completely agree that those big losses are often followed by bounces back. There are those rare few, especially at the beginning when there is a lot of weight to take off, who manage to rack up fairly big losses week after week. But they are rare, and once the first few % are off, it gets a lot harder.

I'll propose some kind of points idea to the rest of the captains and moderators - or let's keep going with the % of people in the green each week. It is more of a team effort that way. Anyone else with an opinion on these weighty matters (groan...) is welcome to chime in!

UPDATE!
    There are quite a few Friday weigh-ins still outstanding:
    @AmyRobF
    @Pearl4686
    @Steph1498
    @mrs_chivonne
    @conleywoods
    @robertefortier536

SATURDAY weigh-ins:
    @ddmiddleton2
    @Terytha
    @Micki48
    @lovethyneighbor

Make sure they all come in by close of day tomorrow! thanks --
  • conleywoods
    conleywoods Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    PW: 217.6
    CW:218.2

Not surprised at all. It was a stressful week and glad I didn't gain more. I also need to get back on the workout schedule.
  • evangsimmons170
    evangsimmons170 Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    @jugar I've never liked the current "accounting" for the spreadsheet because it's not simple division. I like the point system idea....one point if you have a loss of 1 lb or more. No points if you gain anything or if your loss is less than 1 lb. Just my 2 cents.
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,261 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    @evangsimmons170 I would hardly ever get a point. I lose in ounces, but week after week and they do add up. 🙂 But I get it’s the “challenge”. I’m in it for the slow, long haul, I suppose. 🤪

Saturday weigh in
    Week 1
    PW 191
    CW 189.6

Finally, the 180s. Barely, but I’ll take it. 🙌 It could get lower once I get “moving.” 😉

PS 🤣😂🤣 I am SO used to losing in ounces that I didn’t even realize that I had a 1.4 pound loss. (It’s early) it wasn’t until I went to the updates and I saw it. I was like, that’s not right. It was. So yay for a big loss for me. I guess not eating dessert every night works. 🍨 But, boo to no desserts.
  • jugar
    Options
    micki48 wrote: »
    @evangsimmons170 I would hardly ever get a point. I lose in ounces, but week after week and they do add up. 🙂 But I get it’s the “challenge”. I’m in it for the slow, long haul, I suppose. 🤪

Finally, the 180s. Barely, but I’ll take it. 🙌 It could get lower once I get “moving.” 😉

PS 🤣😂🤣 I am SO used to losing in ounces that I didn’t even realize that I had a 1.4 pound loss. (It’s early) it wasn’t until I went to the updates and I saw it. I was like, that’s not right. It was. So yay for a big loss for me. I guess not eating dessert every night works. 🍨 But, boo to no desserts.

Fantastic! You are now in the 180s, and there is a policy there - once you arrive, you cannot leave :wink: Let's both get moving more this week. Now that snowshoeing is on hold until it gets colder again, I need something else to make me sweat more. Exercise bike is SO boring and I don't like that it uses the same muscles in the same way over and over. Walking is not sweaty enough. I might try some different videos this week. You sure looked good in your sweaty post-elliptical photo - put that one on repeat!

Post elliptical. WAY too similar to post-apocalypse. :grimace:
  • jugar
    Options
    @jugar I've never liked the current "accounting" for the spreadsheet because it's not simple division. I like the point system idea....one point if you have a loss of 1 lb or more. No points if you gain anything or if your loss is less than 1 lb. Just my 2 cents.

Good thought - it is just that a lot of people lose less than a pound but still lose. Maybe 2 points for a pound, 1 for under a pound. Or, to be absolutely more fair, going by % of body weight is more accurate. When I lose .5 lb it is 0.43%. Someone at 200 lbs it will be more like 0.25% for the same weight loss. It might be possible to establish a sweet spot in the percentages that would be 1 pound for those still working from a higher weight, but still enough to earn a point for those at the lower end. Does that make any sense to anyone not in my muddled brain?

Let's keep thinking about this. The simplicity of the 3 colours, green, black, or red, is tempting. But aiming higher than just "green" is a good idea too. Hmmmm.
This discussion has been closed.