2020 - We can be our BEST SELF every day!

Options

Replies

• Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday, Suzy!! I 'm a few days late.
  • suzyqholland
    suzyqholland Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    I went to the foot doctor today. I have capsulitis of the second toe. I’ve ordered some insoles for my walking shoes and shoes to wear around the house that have arch support. I’m also taking a steroid pack for six days and then anti-inflammatories. It’s basically an inflammation of the joint at the base of the second toe. I’ve got to do stretches and try not to go barefoot for awhile. Apparently I had this exact same thing in my other foot five years ago. I don’t even remember it. 😂 Anyway, I feel better now that I know what it is and have a plan. I should have gone sooner. Hopefully I’ll be able to start going on walks again in a couple weeks.
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    Gail that must have been so scary - so glad you are okay !!!!

Vail - how are things going with you??

Am hoping to hear from Milove soon....

suzy.. i'm SO glad you got in to see the doc and got a diagnosis and treatment!! ow ow ow on the toe... i had a bout of gout once which is basically an inflammation of the joint at the base of the big toe and it hurt like a son of a *kitten* so i can only imagine how painful yours is - and mine only lasted a few days while you've been suffering with it for a while now!! Fingers crossed the meds and stretches and insoles work and you will be back enjoying your walks and hikes again soon!!

Nothing new and exciting to report here... my city is moving to stage 2 tomorrow.. i don't know why as we still have over 5000 cases and still getting new ones every day... anyway it won't change my world at all for the foreseeable future... i won't be hitting any shopping malls or patios or even the hairdresser for now... people have almost completely forgotten about social distancing and this morning while i was on the lake path, i was chatting with a woman and her dog who were on the other side of the path... i was across it and we were chatting. .the path is just about 6 feet wide.. 2 cyclists zipped by in the middle and one yelled "that's excessive social distancing, ladies"... what the hell??? We are STILL supposed to be maintaining the 6 ft physical distancing rules .. but it seems the majority of people here just have figured well everything is opening so it's fine.. grrr.. anyway i try not to get angry anymore.. i can't control stupid i can only control what i do.. so for now .. i will continue keeping the protocols that work for me... i don't need any new clothes cause i'm not going anywhere lol... anyway.. sometimes my head goes to a bad place and i think.. is this how its going to be from now on.. no lunches with friends, no travel, no flying down to see my sister, i can't see the theatre opening again this year so volunteeering is out... yada yada.... but i know at some point this WILL end so i just have to keep things in perspective.. at times tho its almost unbelievable to see how the entire world has changed in only a few months!

Stay safe well and happy Hatters!
  • milove1029
    milove1029 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Thanks for all of your love and concern.

Things are much better we (employee health) were moved to another part of the hospital so that we could focus on our employees. The number of Covid patients appears to be holding down. However, I didn't know if I was going to make it, but I made it through. It was a horror and I felt so helpless. Seeing the entire hospital filled up with so many patients that were dying left and right.

I was able to read a lot of your post and I am glad that everyone is well. Suzy your grandbaby is so adorable!!!! And Happy belated birthday

Please be careful and stay safe.
  • milove1029
    milove1029 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Also, thank you so much Snoozie for checking on me. It meant a great deal to me :smile:
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Milove.. i cannot even begin to imagine the nightmare you have lived the past few months.. please know you are a hero to me and many others, especially the patients, their families and friends as well.. KNOW that you made a difference to so many people and that everyone is so grateful for everything the healthl care workers have done across the world, it doesn't matter what country we're from.. watching all of you going above and beyond anything most of us could ever even begin to understand.. well thank you seems like so little but know that it's heartfelt!! Hugs
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Milove, so glad you are making it through this without contracting THIS STUFF! also glad the case load is even-ing out for you all. You are so brave ,everyone of you on the front lines. We appreciate what you do for everyone's loved ones...especially in their final days with no one there from family.
    Stay well!

Suzy, so glad you found a solution to your hurt foot, and it is a swift recovery. You've got to be able to go get that grandbaby , Is this your first grandbaby? I can't remember.

Snoozie, My husband has had the gout issue before. He came home, managed to get through the door and called me at work and told me he thought he had broken his foot somehow. I said what did you do? Did you trip? he said no, it happened while I was driving home....he couldn't take his shoe off, he figured it was the only thing holding it together. I laughed,( I know I'm so BAD) I said Babe, it's got to be gout, you couldn't have broken it just by pushing the gas pedal or brake pedal...He forgot he had had it before many years ago.

I'm with you , Snoozie on feeling like this is our new normal....until we all get it and either live thru it ....or not.

Well, it's raining here. Time to go get Supper, they are feeding us. We get fed on Tues & Thurs...instead of hazard pay like some companies...lol

Be well!
    G
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    Milove, you are a rock star! Thank you for everything you’ve done and are doing. I’m so thankful that you’re okay and pray you remain healthy and safe.

Gail, yes she’s our first grandchild and she’s just so precious!!! I get to see her at least once a week right now. I go over and watch her while my daughter works on her masters degree online and prepares to move to a new school to teach in the fall. Right now the schools are saying they will open onsite at the beginning of August. It’s hard to believe considering that Covid cases are higher than ever. I’m already worried for my daughter’s safety and it’s only June.

My foot is starting to maybe feel a bit better already. These steroids really mess with me though....sleep issues, headaches, stomach upset. I’ll be glad when I’m done with them in two days. Then I start on the anti-inflammatory meds.

I’m off to shower and go get some grand baby snuggles! Have a great day Hatters!
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you are OK, Milove. Thank you for all you have done - you are definitely a hero! I can't imagine what it must have been like for you.

I hope your treatment continues to work, Suzy. I suppose the steroids are worth the side effects if they help? But how annoying to have to go through that, on top of the foot pain.

Our schools are opening too - well, some have stayed open for smaller numbers. I'm not sure what's happening - they were trying to look at how to make them safer.

I'm OK, trying to negotiate with work about going back as I want it as safe as possible. Things have improved here but I am worried that now restrictions are lifting the cases will go up again, and of course it's much more dangerous for some than others. I'm still cautious about going outdoors. Most people are still sticking to the guidelines, but not all, and of course it will be impossible when I'm back at work (have been working from home).

Your social distancing story struck a chord, Snoozie! I was going out on my bike at the beginning of lockdown on the shared cycle/walking paths. If there were pedestrians coming the other way, I was getting off my bike and pulling it into the bushes so that they could pass at a safe distance, but what was happening where that other cyclists were just riding down the middle! I stopped using my bike, but as a pedestrian have had lots of times cyclists have come too close. I'm normally really pro-cycling but was frustrated that the cycling community didn't seem to adapt to the changed conditions so well - obviously some did, but there were a few who seemed to be carrying on as normal.
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    I honestly don’t understand why people are being so stubborn and argumentative about wearing masks and keeping social distance. It’s not that hard! Why wouldn’t you want to keep yourself and your loved ones and your neighbors and EVERYONE safe and healthy? I just don’t get it. I guess I’m not a very social person anyway so it doesn’t bother me to not go out so much. At the gym this week a guy came up to use the machine across from me. It was more than six feet away but it made me uncomfortable so I just moved to a machine much further away. Why can’t people just do what they have to and not make a federal case of it? Ugh.

I feel good about the exercise part of my routine but I’ve really got to get a grip on my eating. Wouldn’t it be great if I could get a good routine going for both aspects of weight loss at the same time? Lol! I’m spending today looking up recipes and making a menu for the next two weeks and a grocery list. I have to have a plan.

Vail, how’s your son doing?
  • Vailara
    Options
    He is fine, thanks, Suzy! Planning more study, as if he hasn't done enough over the last few years. Hopefully meeting up tomorrow, with masks and distancing of course.

Masks are only for public transport here, so rarely see people wearing them. I wear one anyway, as do my friends - I think the idea is if everybody wears them we are all protected but they don't seem to have taken off here.

I hope the menu planning works. I still haven't worked out what I need to do apart from the vague "eat less". I have tried so many methods over the years, and keep changing my mind. But trying not to overeat at least. I think you are right about having a plan. I'm much more successful when I am sticking to some sort of plan, rather than winging it. Maybe I should just choose one that has worked before and stick to it - how hard can it be? :)
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Hi ho all

So.. since we're on the subject of weight.... I have been tracking mine since it started going UP.. today i went to the "reports" and looked at a chart.. and discovered if i dragged my finger along the chart line it shows exactly the date i logged each weight.... so as of June 1st i have gained 8 lbs... IN A MONTH... and THAT is with playing pickleball a few times and walking every day... I knew it was going up because i was weighing daily since it stopped losing and began creeping.. well it stopped creeping and started running.. holy hell..

anyway... whether its a combination of the thyroid meds working AND pigging out or one or the other, I have to put the brakes on.. i can FEEL the difference in my clothes (because i'm really wearing the same bloody clothes i've been wearing since this pandemic started lol).. and i'm not liking it one bit.. so like both of you i need to find a plan... so as much as i hate logging, i'm going to start tomorrow logging everything i eat.. i'm not setting a "target" number of calories because i want to see exactly how much i really am eating for a few days before i decide on where to set my max cals... but i definitely need a plan as well so that's the route i'm going to go... I totally admit i got way too complacent when i was losing no matter what i ate and i'm going to have to pay for it now... and my fork is the place where it starts because i know i won't be upping my exercise quotient anytime soon. So that's my plan and i will be logging my weight prolly every day.. just so i can keep a close eye on it..

Suzy i hope by now the steroids are done and you are feeling a bit better both foot and tummy wise! and I agree with you.. now i just do what i have to do to be safe.. if that means my feet get wet because i have to veer onto the grass because 3 women are walking abreast on the path and hogging it all instaed of moving to single file when they pass someone... so be it... i don't wear a mask on my walks outside but i do carry one in my pocket in a sealed baggie.. just in case i need it... i also use my hat sometimes to cover my nose and mouth if i have to for a quick minute.. but i always wear a mask going into any store for any reason.. that's my comfort level and i'll continue to do that and stay 6 feet away from anyone who isn't wearing a mask anywhere... but now it's all about me..

i try not to watch too much news anymore; i do watch a daily update for my region and occasionally hear about outbreaks in the U.S. and England... but am hoping its sooner rather than later we get this under control with eradication or vaccination and can once again feel free to live our lives without restrictions... and i'll continue to do my part working towards that day :)

i'm about to make a home made "healthy" pizza.. using a lebanese pita which is quite big and lots of leftover roasted veggies and a bit of parm and mozerella.. and i'm starving so off to get it in quick ha... hugs all around
  • Snooozie
    Options
    sorry re the charts - i meant if i drag my mouse across it, not my finger ... wont let me edit my post LOL
  • Vailara
    Options
    I love the reports feature, but it's scary. Motivating when it's going well, but when it's not ... !!! I know how I should use it or think I'm using it - as soon as I see an upward trend, I should get on it and get it down again, but for some reason I seem to just let things slide, despite seeing it creep up on the chart. I did put on weight in lockdown, but looking back at reports, there had been an upward trend for a while. Isn't it frustrating and scary how easily it can go on? I am back to daily weighing again now, after stopping for a while. Good luck with the logging.

Your pizza sounds lovely! I have occasionally making my own pizza - managed to get hold of the elusive yeast - but make it as thin as possible and don't put always put cheese on it. I have used the pita bread idea before - also tortillas, chapatis, best of all is a good naan bread but that ups the calories! And thanks for reminding me about roasted veg! I do that quite often but seem to go through stages. But so easy to do. My favourite thing is to mix them with dijon mustard and seasonings before roasting.

I cook loads of healthy food, honestly, but for a treat today I am having fish fingers (I think they are called fish sticks in some places?), ready-made ones from the freezer, not home-made, possibly with mushy peas (I don't know if they are a thing outside the UK?) from a tin, and vinegar. Convenience food, but not awful on the calorie/nutrition front. I am so looking forward to it!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Vail - i never really used the report thing before so being able to see exactly when i started regaining etc was handy for my current purpose but as you said... not pleasant to see LOL... and yes scary is a good word for how easily it goes back on.. you would think after several decades of weight loss/gain i would KNOW how easy it is and avoid it at all costs.. but nooooo. But i am determined not to let it go up any further.. i did manage to log a lot of stuff but not 100%.. i need to get my head around hating doing it to thinking of it as just a tool and get on with it.. sigh..

i have NEVER made my own pizza dough that's well beyond my capabilities lol.. but these big pitas are thinner and bigger than the ones i would use for a sandwich so make a perfect base for me.. and yes the roasted veg are def the way to go .. next time i may skip the cheese and just do a balsamic drizzle or something to mix it up

ohhhhhhhhh on the dijon .. i've never tried that i always just do the boring OO and S&P but mustard is my favourite condiment so i will absolutely try that thank you!

i'm very familiar with mushy peas lol... god i havent had fish sticks (thats what we call them here) in ages but used to love them.. now i'll probably crave them ha..

it's our "canada Day" today... our birthday so to speak like July 4th in the States .. with the pandemic of course there are no celebrations or fireworks or gatherings but there will be lots of bbq's going on.. i got invited to one by my pickleball partner today which was very nice as we dont really know each other all that well .. altho since only being able to play singles the past few weeks with each other we have yapped a lot lol.. but it was very kind of her and as she is also being very cautious, she made sure to tell me she has a downstairs bathroom she will santizie for my own use and they have a very big yard apparently so set up will definitely be to ensure social distancing ... it was very thoughtful of her to make sure she covered everything before the invite.. so we'll do pb this morning then can come home and clean up and head over.. so that wil lbe a lovely treat for me.. nutritionally its gonna be Canadian pork sausages on the bbq on nice italian buns LOL.. but i figure its a good trade off for the social interaction and kind invite and for my mental health - which are all just as important me thinks sometimes!

They are making masks at all INDOOR public access places mandatory here next week which personally i've been doing anyway but i think it's a good idea.. altho i'm a big fan of masks indoors in confined spaces, i'm still a believer that the first 2 priorities are still handwashing and physical distancing FIRST.. then masks as a 3rd line of defense... and yet both of those first 2 seem to have been the first thing people dumped. tehy seem to have stopped a lot of hte public service announcmenets here today reminding people wash your hands stay 2 metres apart.. i wish they would bring those back but.. i also wish i had a pony haaaaaaa

stay safe and well and hopeful my friends!

• suzyqholland
    Options
    Happy Canada Day!!! I hope you thoroughly enjoyed the bbq! How wonderful!

Mushy peas? No thank you. Hahaha! However....I do love split pea soup. Weird, I know! I have made my own pizza dough but I cheat and use a bread machine. Does that count? I’ve used the low carb tortillas before and they make for a nice thin crisp crust. Dijon on veggies? I may have to try that. I recently found out that my husband doesn’t like veggies all mixed together and roasted. He just wants one kind at a time. I told him that he’s going to have to get over it. Lol.

I went for a three mile walk tonight on a very flat paved surface. My foot did start hurting 3/4 of the way through but not near as bad as before. So it is getting better. I just have to be patient and I’m not very good at that. I hate to say that the 5:00 am wake up calls for the gym every morning are NOT getting any easier. I hate going to bed at 9:00pm. I hate waking up early. Oh well, hopefully I’ll get used to it. At least I’m going.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Suz i choked on my coffee reading the last paragraph.. hate 5am NOT getting easier HATE going to bed at 9 hate waking up early.. omg that was JUST too funny and completely understandable!!! And total kudos to you for doing it all girl... YES you are going and that's freaken awesome so well done you!!!

Yay on the walk and better still you made it much further before the pain hit and that it wasn't as bad...!! But please don't push it to the pain level too much before its fully healed you don't want to end up back at square one so yes.. patience is not a virtue of mine either but in this case... probably necessary to ensure you fully heal and can once again enjoy your walks and hikes.. short term patience for long term gain???? (easy for me to say since ya know.. its not me having to do it!!) hugs

Too funny on the mixed roasted veg.. I'm not gonna lie... there are certain veg i do not like roasted myself... and often times i only do peppers and onions with just OO and salt and pepper... i would rather steam broccoli or cauli or carrots but i do love a base of roasted peppers and onions because i can toss them in a salad (i do usually nuke them for about 10 seconds to take the fridge chill off them even before tossing in a salad) or i can have them on the side warmed up with a pork chop or something and have the broccoli or other veg on the side..

i do occasionally toss in some baby marble new potatos and some cubed turnip because i find they roast well too.. but that's usually when i want to actually use the roasted ones as my entire "side" without any other veg.. but i do love your solution.. get over it LOLOLOLOL
    maybe if you try just doing one or 2 veg together to roast to start - whichever ones he might like better than others it might be more palatable? or just go with the get over it mode.. love that...... note to self.. dont read posts while having your coffee!!!

• suzyqholland
    Options
    But the man doesn’t really like any vegetables!!! He will voluntarily eat green beans and salad, occasionally green peas. Everything else he will eat if I make it...except brussel sprouts and cauliflower...he really doesn’t like those two. The only vegetable I really don’t care for are green peas by themselves. I like to toss whatever I have in the fridge with OO and garlic/rosemary/salt/pepper and roast it. I have a long list of new entree recipes from skinnytaste to try. I need to look up some side dishes too.

Along those lines, I made Asian Peanut Noodles with Chicken from that site last night. It was so incredibly good! It was a satay type sauce which I love. I’ve also made the Cubano Chicken and we really enjoy that one, too.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    ive been meaning to try that asian noodle one so now i have someone who actually tried it i will lol

ohhh on the veggies.. gotcha... i do love brussel sprouts tho.. i know i'm a freak LOL