Replies

• conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    I think my scales are stuck on 264.0
  • hansep0012
    hansep0012 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    @bmeadows380 vacuum has two "u's so that U can Use it (as opposed to me!) :)
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    It appears that somewhere around 700 calories is the most I can safely expend in exercise while fasted before I get what I call "hungover". This morning my watch showed me at 911 move calories by 8am. I had no intention of 45 minutes on the elliptical AND 5.5 mile walk but I was walking with some neighbors and before I realized it my intention of 3 miles was nearly doubled.

Also not a smart plan since my ankle is bothering me more again. Gah. I am so stupid sometimes.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    You would think that living in Florida less than a mile from the beach, I would easily be able to find water jogging shoes...oh no, I have had to drive from one end of the county to the other and finally found some today about 1/2 mile from our house....BUT after I wore them in the pool today, I don’t really like them...now I am going to have to spend another $40 and get the ones I saw online that I liked a week ago...and I will have to explain to my husband why I really need a different pair lol....
  • papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    lol. I hate when that happens. Always go with the first choice.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    I got my walk in this morning - 5.4 miles of it! My activity levels have really taken a nose dive compared to what I was getting before Memorial Day; I just haven't been able to get them back up to where they were even with the extra daylight. I feel like I've just had so much to do that gets in the way, and now the high heat of late summer is here with the humidity, and that makes it even harder. But I managed to get out early this morning before it got hot and got my first walk in in over a week, so I can now have a decent lunch lol

The scale took a good drop this morning, too - the last weight entry I had in my running log was 235 lbs, though the next day I recorded 234.2; this morning was 231.9 lbs, so I lost around 2 lbs which tells me that the excesses I had been struggling with for the last month didn't do any damage other than stall me out. Thankfully, this week has been better - I've had much better success in reigning in the hunger beast; sounds like that camping trip was something I was desperately needing! I know it helped reduce my stress levels!

I've got another camping trip scheduled for the first of August, but that won't be as stress relieving because I"ll be going with the family on that one.

I was talking about bathing suits in another thread and now its got me wanting to go swimming, so I think I'll take my sister tomorrow to a park not far from here that has a fantastic swimming hole. I'll try to talk my parents into going as well; they are all 3 going to be pretty down; they lost one of their kitties yesterday, and she was the youngest and the friendliest and most loving one, too :cry:
  • Ccricfo
    Ccricfo Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    You just made me think of a great goal: losing enough weight that I will allow myself to be seen in a swimsuit (with no shirt on). This summer I was forced to use swimsuits instead of shorts just for normal daily life because they have the draw string that I can let out.
  • bmeadows380
    edited July 2020
    Options
    *laughs* we had an adventure yesterday! My parents decided to go with my sister and I, so I took a half day yesterday and told them we'd leave between 1 and 2. However, when I get over there, I find that my dad had gone with my grandfather to look at a tractor and they weren't back yet; he didn't come back home until after 2:30, so it was closer to 3 before we finally got on the road. it's something like an hour or so to the park with the great swimming hole, and we didn't get up there until 4. We were all hungry and decided to go ahead and eat the picnic dinner we had brought with us, so mom built a fire in the grill and warmed up the sloppy joes I had made, and it was 5 before I was able to start heading to the water hole. My sister had this stupid floaty thing she wanted blown up, and all I had was my small compressor which took about 15 minutes to blow the darn thing up. Meanwhile, it had started getting cloudy.

We finally get down to the swimming hole and I wade in and work my way to the deeper spot. I was only in maybe 5 minutes or less, when someone spots a water snake, so we all got out. Then I heard thunder in the distance and it started sprinkling, then raining. Then came this torrential downpour. I waited and waited and finally after 20 minutes, realized it wasn't going to just pass over, the air temp had dropped 15 degrees and it was getting cold, so we worked our way up to the truck, changed clothes and headed home.

In the end, all I got was less than 5 minutes in the swimming hole and about 20 minutes standing in the rain under the trees lol And my sister and I neither one got any S'mores - we were going to eat those before heading home! Mom and dad at least got theirs in before having to make for the truck when the rain starting coming down harder. Mom calls it making memories :lol:

Its been a pretty long time since the best friend and I had one of our marathon phone conversations, but it happened yesterday - she called at 9 pm and we didn't get off the phone until 6 am :astonished::blush: I couldn't stay in bed past 9:30, so I'm up, finishing my dessert for the cookout at my brother's (if he and his wife aren't on their way to the hospital to deliver their new baby as the child could come at any time at this point), and had breakfast. It's threatening to rain again outside and its windy, so I can't go out and spray weed killer again, so I think I'm taking a lounge day today - either that, or I may go out to my camper, measure the size I need for my cushions for the table booth area, and cut the mattress down and start making those. Or I could blow an hour or so playing a computer game. I don't know - we'll see. :)

I ended up going way over on calories yesterday - well, not way, way over; if my estimation is right, I was probably right at maintenance. That's do the small supper that didn't hold me that was earlier than I usually had it and being up all night talking on the phone. However, I got up this morning to a new all-time low - 229.7 lbs! I had to triple check that reading this morning, especially since I should have still had food on the stomach and had only gotten 3 hours of sleep! That pushes my happy scale trend to 231.1 so I am 89% toward my next small goal and that puts me 10 lbs away from my huge first goal of 220 lbs that I've been working toward for the last 3 years! Brain - don't you dare start your tricks now because we are way too close for you to start acting up now! lol
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Your adventure sounds exhausting!...too bad you don’t have a pool to use in your area....I won’t hardly swim in a lake or the ocean...too many critters and funky algae stuff in fresh water...I can’t remember the last time I went on a picnic...sounds like so much fun...enjoy the rest of the weekend and great job on your new low...you must look amazing!
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    Your adventure sounds exhausting!...too bad you don’t have a pool to use in your area....I won’t hardly swim in a lake or the ocean...too many critters and funky algae stuff in fresh water...I can’t remember the last time I went on a picnic...sounds like so much fun...enjoy the rest of the weekend and great job on your new low...you must look amazing!

@conniewilkins56 I wish there was a local pool! Then again, since I"m in the mountains of WV, we don't the same problems as Florida when it comes to swimming in lakes and ponds. And this particular swimming hole is actually in a fresh running creek, cold and clear out of the mountains. But I saw an article about some of the problems with swimming in fresh water int he deep south, and the warnings of "brain eating bacteria" are terrifying!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I am "interviewing" new hiking shoes and I made the mistake of going for a 3 mile hike yesterday in one of the possible pairs. The results were definitely bad and my feet really hurt today. Over the years I have moved from 10 1/2 to 11 but I don't know if that was me or the brands. This pair was definitely just too large so I may try my old size in them.

I ordered 6 pairs to try from Amazon Prime Wardrobe and 4 of them are already definite Nos.
  • Ccricfo
    Options
    @novusdies I also have problems finding the right shoes. I finally found the Brooks "Beast" size 13 tennis shoe which has unbelievable ankle and arch support. That's all I wear now --- and as long as I replace them once a year, they do the job.
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    I managed to get myself up before 6 AM this morning and get on a 6.6 mile walk in before church and the heat! It took longer than usual, though: the route I took went passed my grandparents' home, and as I walked past, my grandfather was coming out for his newspaper, so I stopped for a little bit to talk, then on the way back stopped for a little longer and went in to see Grandma because it had been quite some time since I had seen her as well. Then I ran into a couple that I am acquainted with from church who were also out walking and took some time to talk with them as it has been a while since I had seen them because of the shut down (my church is still closed). So lots of distractions! lol

My shoes are still doing well for me, thank goodness, but I'll probably need to be looking into a new pair by fall. I have a pair of running shoes that I bought but I have found I don't like walking in them - they are too light and leave my feet hurting after long walks, unlike this pair of new balance cross trainers that I have on. Plus, I've tripped and fallen while wearing the running shoes - they seem to be too light! I had to use the first set of knee braces this morning as my others are packed in my jiu-jitsu bag, but they actually stayed put for once!

so it's 9:30 and I have 12,000 steps in for the day :) Which is good, because that gives me some breathing room calorie wise for dinner today as we are having a cookout! I can earn some more calories too if I have mom take the push mower to the camp and mow around the camp while she's fixing the hamburgers. That means I can have extra smores for dessert lol

I was well over deficit yesterday but it didn't show on the scale this morning; 2 days in a row of being over deficit and yet 2 days in a row of all time scale lows - go figure! And I barely had 1,000 steps in yesterday! But being over isn't bothering me that much this weekend; it was more circumstances and not so much being driven to eat by Hunger Brain.

One thing I really noticed this weekend is that if I find myself over deficit, even by only a few calories, I end up fighting a battle with the brain who is thinking "well, you're already over anyhow, so what's a few more calories?" and by bed time, I'm usually adding to that by a couple hundred. In other words, once I go over, I have trouble stopping at being over by just a little bit; my brain seems to think that since I've already gone over, I might as well just eat what I want and start clean tomorrow. Interesting how even after being at this for 3 years, I'm still fighting thoughts like that!

And now I need to get ready for church - while our church is still shut down, the pastor is still preaching from the pulpit and conducting the service as close to normal as he can for the radio and for facebook live, so I and the organist come in to play and he'll lead a few hymns and have me play a special and then have someone sing a special (usually either his wife, me, or the preacher or the regular song leader if they are there). It'll be all of 6 of us there, but with the daily rate going up in the state again especially in our area and because of the near miss our church had back in June, the pastor is being very cautious about opening back up the church, and I don't blame him at all!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Ccricfo wrote: »
    @novusdies I also have problems finding the right shoes. I finally found the Brooks "Beast" size 13 tennis shoe which has unbelievable ankle and arch support. That's all I wear now --- and as long as I replace them once a year, they do the job.

LoL...I hope you wear more than “ just those shoes” when you are hiking!
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    Ccricfo wrote: »

Are those in a women's size 8? I ask because my sister has a time finding shoes to support her feet while she works as a cashier. She usually buys the cheap ones at Walmart because that's all she can afford, which don't help at all, so last year for Christmas, I bought her a pair of good ones from Amazon. She said they made a difference, and I know she'll be needing a new pair this year as well, so I might do the same thing for her this year. Ankle support is her trouble as well as fallen arches, so I'll have to look those up!
  • Ccricfo
    Options
    My days of hiking nude are a distant memory.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Bmeadows how lucky you are to be blessed with your grandparents living and being close to you!...I was very close to my Ya-Ya ( my dads mom)... she was hit by a car in downtown Louisville, Ky when I was in my 20s...my moms mother lived to be almost 88 and was a spunky German farm woman...

Enjoy your cook out and keep those S’ mores in check....I am glad I do not like marshmallows!...
  • papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    How timely. I just started hiking and I don't go to far or too treacherous but I've been looking at hiking shoes. I'm just unsure what to get so yesterday I bought trail runners. How do you guys feel about trail runners vs hiking shoes?

I can still return them.
  • MuttiNM
    MuttiNM Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    @papayahed I just started getting back into hiking this year and got a pair of trail runners for hiking about a month ago. (I was sick of my everyday walking shoes ending up a muddy mess on a few of the less than dry trails around here. :smile: I decided it would be nice to have a dedicated pair of hiking shoes since I was going at least twice a week.) I love mine! I don't go too far yet or do anything too treacherous either. They are so lightweight and have a nice grippy sole. I've worn them on different kinds of trails and they've been great so far. I also got a bike this spring and the grippy sole works really well on the platform pedals on my bike, much better than my other shoes. I figure if trail runners work for thru hikers on the Appalachian and Pacific Crest trails, they will more than work for me. :) I'm sure I won't wear them out as quickly as those hikers do. (It will take me a while to build up my mileage!) Good luck in your search for new hiking shoes!
  • jodibeth5744
    jodibeth5744 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    @bmeadows380 when I was younger and worked on my feet all day I had terrible heel spurs and foot pain. At the time all I could afford was cheap shoes from Payless. My boss at the time never had any pain and was much older than me and when I asked her she recommended Clarks shoes. They’re expensive at the start but in all honesty they last years compared to my cheap shoes that would breakdown after a few months. They were a game changer-I went from absolute pain to NO pain. I’d really recommend them.