Food, Exercise, or other Reports

Options

Replies

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    cremorna1 wrote: »
    Another idea is to put the tracker in your sock or somehow attach it to your foot or ankle. That way it would count the steps. I've had to do that a couple of times myself. :)

I would but then it wouldn't catch my heart rate - its got a heart rate monitor on it too. I do have a regular run of the mill pedometer which I have used to compare to this one in the past. It would start the day out counting under the one on my wrist, but by the end of the day, it would be over by a couple of hundred.

Of course, all those trackers are estimates anyway.
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    well, at least the water weight didn't completely blow my work for this week, though it only showed a 0.7 lb loss when I know in reality, it was more than that. I'm very sore this morning and tired. Of course, a lot of that has to do with lack of sleep last night *sigh*

I tried, I really did! I headed to bed before 11 pm, had the lights outs, and even though I had been sleepy all day, of course when I hit the bed, I found myself wide awake. My kindle light (I was using it to play soft music) was too bright so I had to reach over and kick the screen off. The alarm clock light was too bright as well even on dim, so I set my phone in front of it. The lamp I have on a timer in the living room was irritating, so I went and turned it off. The night light in the kitchen was too bright as well, but I left it alone. Even the headlights from traffic going down the road were irritating me!

Finally, I got up and took a liquid sleep aid that I have - but I tossed it too far back into my throat, apparently, because it hit that really sensitive tissue in the upper back of my throat, which resulted in a 45 minutes coughing fit and a sore throat *sigh* It also caused my sinuses to produce mucus trying, I supposed, to sooth the irritated tissue, but that just made things worse, so for the next 45 minutes, I was trying to drink something or eat something that would help and having to blow my nose. I"m sure it was after midnight before I finally dozed off (I couldn't tell for sure since I had the phone blocking the clock lol)

I was so not ready to drag myself out of bed this morning when the alarm went off! Course, that's the signal for my cat to start irritating the crap out of me wanting fed.......*sigh again*

So lack of sleep has me drowsy and tired - there's going to be more coffee than usual in my future. Plus I'm very sore this morning in the arms and legs, and I think that's a combination of the cardio videos I was forcing myself to continue this week as well as the extra work. And I mopped my house the old fashioned way yesterday by hand (had too; the cats had made a huge mess), and my wrists and hands are always sore the next day or two after that sort of work anyway, not to mention still being sore from carrying all that block. So I'm not planning on doing any cardio or elliptical today and won't get a walk in this evening, either.

In fact, I haven't been able to consistently get a walk in every day like I was doing in over a month. :frowning: It seems that I've gotten so busy that I just don't have the time. And its too hot or its storming. So my activity levels have dropped off.

I hope to take a few vacation hours this morning and get my grass mowed before it gets too hot or it rains. If I can get that done this morning, then I hope to move some more block this evening - I'd like another 72 or even 100 blocks if I can get them.

Tomorrow is jiu-jitsu and Saturday, my sister wants to try to go back to the swimming hole again, so looks like my weekend is booked!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    The humidity was stifling this morning and the air was mostly still. I am glad that is not a year round constant although I guess I would probably get more accustomed to it. It really makes it harder to enjoy walking. I am not a heaver sweater but somehow even at only 74ish degrees that humidity makes me end up with damp clothing - blech. I guess I am fortunate I get out so early because I am not sure I could do 6 miles much warmer right now.

I am grateful it is easier than last year but it doesn't make it easy just easier.
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    @NovusDies Let me assure you that you never get used to the humidity. It never gets easier! I have lived in the south most of my life and sometimes it hurts to breathe due to the air being so wet!
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    finally - the lawn mowing is finished! I riding mow most of the yard and the neighbor's. I then spent at least 45 minutes weed eating, which takes time because the stupid weedeater wont' bump so whenever the string gets low, I have to stop and manually add more string. THen I push-mowed for at least an hour. The GPS thing using hike mode worked, (I found the map it gave me amusing lol) says I did 1.3 miles in 1 hour 40 minutes :grin: I was out for over 3 hours, but even only counting 100 minutes of that time, I still ended up with a whopping 900 extra calories today! And with the heat and the way I was sweating and wielding that weedeater and pushing that mower up and down hills, I counted it all, though there is no way I'm going to get all my protein in today.

And now I'm glad to go back inside, in my air conditioning, and finish out my work day at home!

I'll let things cool down, then go out this evening and spray weed killer and maybe load some more blocks - we'll see.

I HATE humidity, but I also hate the heat, too! Truly, give me January and near 0 temperatures over August and near 100's with 90% humidity!
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    I had sweat dripping off of my face while I was swimming yesterday....now that is hot!...and I usually don’t sweat much at all...the summer evening storms have been all around us but we haven’t had any...my knees hurt from water jogging and my arms hurt from swimming....I keep telling you all that I am too old for all of this healthy living!....LOL
  • papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    gewel321 wrote: »
    @NovusDies Let me assure you that you never get used to the humidity. It never gets easier! I have lived in the south most of my life and sometimes it hurts to breathe due to the air being so wet!

The best description I've heard is " Air you can wear". I used to live in northwest Louisiana and it felt like a petri dish sometimes.

• Ccricfo
    Ccricfo Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem in Colorado. The summer air is very dry so the heat is more tolerable but the higher altitude makes the sun seem much more intense. In the winter, it is so dry that you have to slather on lotion beofrenyou vo to bed or you will itch constantly. Maybe the solution is to live out West during the summer and back southmor east in the winter.
  • Ccricfo
    Ccricfo Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Sorry about the typos...I will edit in the future.
  • jodibeth5744
    jodibeth5744 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I would love to see what it felt like to not experience the humidity in the heat. Colorado sounds like a dream compared to NY. Where I am, we call it the “tropical rainforest” because the mountains trap all the evaporation of the Hudson River and make it so so humid.
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I just finished mowing the grass. It is 100 degrees outside and like 5 million percent humidity. Surely that should count as more calories burned! Lol. Now to get in the pool and cool off before I die of heat stroke
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    I went swimming early this morning and got Er done!...no more pool for me until Mon. After dinner!...giving my arm a rest
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    I got the pushmowers cleaned (mine and the neighbors), the windows sprayed (I will attest that the water hose window cleaner doesn't work :( ), got weed killer sprayed all up and down my driveway, another 72 cinder blocks loaded (though not unloaded), and got to go swimming (well, for me its more just treading water) for around an hour before we ate our picnic dinner and came home in time for me to pull my garbage and water all my plants. I'm over my calorie limit and will likely be even more over before the day is out, but I don't care. My cousin is here for the night, and house guests always lead to temptation, and I'm really wanting more fruit and some chocolate ice cream.

But one day, even over maintenance, will not kill me, so I'm going to enjoy it and get back to it tomorrow!
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    I wish I could play the blues; I think I'd write a song called "Water Weight Blues", cause I'm dealing with them this morning. I hate it when water weight skews the scales! I was up 2 lbs this morning, and while i know I over indulged yesterday, I also know it wasn't that much, and I also know its water weight because I couldn't get my rings on this morning.

I guess I'm going to have to get ANOTHER alarm clock. The first one I could dim way low but it was a clock radio and would just randomly start this burst of staticy choppiness at all hours of the day or night for no reason I could discern, so after being wakened one too many times by it, I chucked it and went and got another one. this one has an auxiliary cable and it dims, but it doesn't dim enough and its driven me crazy the last couple of nights; I set my cell phone in front of it to try to cover the light. So I guess that means I need to try a different one. Either that or just switch out with the one in the spare bedroom. I was wanting one that either did blue tooth or had a auxiliary cable, but I suppose I can do without that.
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    I'm am absolutely dragging this morning :frowning:

We're into the dog days of summer and this is the time of year I absolutely hate. It's hot, its humid and its just sapping me of energy. On top of that, I'm trying to get up early so I can get a walk in before work because it will be too hot to do so afterwards, but that means setting my alarm for 5 AM. I am not a morning person, I have never been able to train myself to BE a morning person, and I detest getting up that early, but I'm trying (set the alarm for 5 AM; finally roll out at 5:30). Another reason I'm up that early in addition to trying to walk at least 5 miles is that my garden plants need watered before the sun comes up. It's so hot and dry - we haven't had a good rain in over a week now - that I'm watering evening and morning now. So its get up early, get dressed, feed the cats, water the plants, get a walk in.

I had jiu-jitsu yesterday and got a pretty good workout in, but that made me sore. So there's another reason why I'm lethargic today. I did get my walk in, but I was moving slower than normal - instead of my typical 3.3 mph, I was going 3.26 mph, and it took everything I had in the tank to get myself to get the distance I went, and that was less than I typically get in. And that was this morning - the day has just started and I feel ready to just go back to bed!

This evening I have to unload a wagon of cinder blocks and try to get one more load in because dad will be needing his wagon pretty soon. And at some point this week, I need to clean house, mow the grass, and I really need to hit my bank and the neighbor's with the hedge trimmer. I should be working on the chicken house, I need to make the cushions for the camper booth, my aunt just brought me a bunch of flower bulbs that really need to be put into the ground (though I don't know if I'll be able to get them in since its so dry and the ground is rock hard). Not to mention the guilt that I feel because I know I really, really need to wash my house down and spring clean - the walls needs washed down, the furniture needs moved and cleaned, etc, but I just don't have the time or energy to do it.

Water weight is killing me; the scale is staying up and its actually got my trend weight up on HappyScale :cry: Its very frustrating because I wanted to be at 220 the first of October when I see my GP, but it looks like my loss is stalling out like it usually does this time of year. My loss since I came off diet break has been extremely slow compared to before diet break - in 6 weeks, I've lost 5 lbs which is less than 1 lb/wk even though I was shooting for 1.5 lbs a week, so I"m at half of what I had wanted to be. I'm having will power issues in not snacking, my activity levels are down, and I'm just fatigued. Have I mentioned that I HATE this time of year? lol

I'd drop activity for a while to try to help with the fatigue but I can't - I live alone and there isn't anyone else to pick up the slack and the chores that must be done. I'm having trouble sleeping - I'll be sleepy all day and dragging but when I finally hit the bed I'm wide awake, so even when I try to go to bed early, unless I'm completely dead exhausted like last night, I"ll toss and turn for over an hour. I've had to resort to an over the counter sleep aid several nights in the last 2 weeks. My house is air conditioned so it's not like its overly hot in here so I'm not sure what the problem is. Thyroid levels were just checked and are fine - I'm still very low on TSH so that's not the problem.

And dropping the activity I know will also make things worse because I won't be getting those extra calories back each day and I need those to buffer the snack drive. I don't want to drop my loss rate down because right now, I need a big buffer in my deficit to make up for the will power issues. If I drop my deficit to 1 lb/wk, that's 500 calories which is much easier to accidentally wipe out in a day than 750 or more. I"m set right now for a 750 deficit but am apparently only getting in half that as it is since my loss rate is half of what I expected; if I add those back in and purposely set myself to a 0.75 lb/wk loss rate I know myself well enough to know that I'll end up stalling out completely because right now my will power to stick to my deficit religiously is very low; making my deficit smaller would mean I'd need to be even tighter in maintaining that deficit and I know that right now, I can't be that vigilant. So I need to leave things where they are right now.

I've a vacation coming in 3 weeks and I hope that will help, but I'm not too sure about it since its going to be a vacation with my parents and my sister, and my sister and father bring stress with them wherever they go. And next weekend I will be helping a friend move, and since she's messed up her knee, I"ll be the one doing the heavy lifting and carrying (thankfully, she's single and lives frugally with little furniture; the boxes of books will be what kills me!)

Oh well - perhaps I should have just put this in the whine thread instead lol Carry on!
  • emmyjaykay
    emmyjaykay Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    @bmeadows380 I used to be a book designer so I have a ton of books lying around and have a little hack for moving them—ask your friend if she'd mind packing them in a rolling suitcase. Not as much of a calorie burn but it's definitely a back saver!
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    emmyjaykay wrote: »
    @bmeadows380 I used to be a book designer so I have a ton of books lying around and have a little hack for moving them—ask your friend if she'd mind packing them in a rolling suitcase. Not as much of a calorie burn but it's definitely a back saver!

thanks! I'd use that in a heart beat, but she doesn't own a suitcase......
  • NovusDies
    Options
    @bmeadows380 Unless there is a nationwide scale conspiracy it is pretty safe to say that the summer heat and humidity is screwing up a lot of people's results including mine, my wife's, SiL, 2 neighbors, and 3 other friends. I cannot seem to escape the scale whines in my real life at the moment.

My recent low is still 3 pounds too high. I was just looking at my spreadsheet and the same thing happened last year. It was a little more frustrating then because I was in a hurry up weight loss for that surgery. This year I don't love it but even if I was really losing this slow right now it sure beats gaining. Time will pass and the results will keep adding up at whatever rate.
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    @NovusDies

Part of my frustration is also dread because this is the time of year that everything started unraveling in both of my past weight loss successes. I'll get started well in the winter, do fantastic during the spring, but when summer hits, my resolve just starts to dwindle and the weight loss stalls then turns into a long term plateau, and in each of the last 2 attempts (2012 and 2017), that's when the regain starts. IN 2012, I ended up regaining 90 of the 95 lbs I lost; in 2017 I regained 30 (though I figure that's a success since at least the 2nd time in, I didn't regain all 100 that I had lost, right?)

I hope things can be better this time around since I'm more aware of it starting to happen, but being aware of it is one thing; winning the willpower battle with snack drive and mental hunger is quite another.

I know mentally that even if I just stabilize for the next couple of months and pick back up after the holidays, that would be okay and be a win; giving myself permission to do that? Not so easy lol But that's the highly self-critical part of me talking; the part that won't consider that I've lost 140 lbs as success but just wants to focus on "if you don't reach 180 lbs, then you didn't succeed no matter how much you lost because its the goal that counts." And yes, I know that is ridiculous and I'm working on trying to ignore that little voice and I have to ignore it because trying to reason with it is impossible! But its there in the back of my head nevertheless.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    @NovusDies

Part of my frustration is also dread because this is the time of year that everything started unraveling in both of my past weight loss successes. I'll get started well in the winter, do fantastic during the spring, but when summer hits, my resolve just starts to dwindle and the weight loss stalls then turns into a long term plateau, and in each of the last 2 attempts (2012 and 2017), that's when the regain starts. IN 2012, I ended up regaining 90 of the 95 lbs I lost; in 2017 I regained 30 (though I figure that's a success since at least the 2nd time in, I didn't regain all 100 that I had lost, right?)

I hope things can be better this time around since I'm more aware of it starting to happen, but being aware of it is one thing; winning the willpower battle with snack drive and mental hunger is quite another.

I know mentally that even if I just stabilize for the next couple of months and pick back up after the holidays, that would be okay and be a win; giving myself permission to do that? Not so easy lol But that's the highly self-critical part of me talking; the part that won't consider that I've lost 140 lbs as success but just wants to focus on "if you don't reach 180 lbs, then you didn't succeed no matter how much you lost because its the goal that counts." And yes, I know that is ridiculous and I'm working on trying to ignore that little voice and I have to ignore it because trying to reason with it is impossible! But its there in the back of my head nevertheless.

Based on your trend the most you would regain this time is 10 pounds (90 - 30 - 10). Math is fun. :grin:

You won't unravel this time. You have a secret weapon this time. Us.

You are not a trustworthy character witness at your various mental trials. I hope one day that is not the case. Until it is trust that the people who can be objective (not your family apparently) and that care about you will assess your rock star-ness better than you will.

The purpose of all this is not to drive the scale down. The purpose is to live a life inside a calorie budget most of the time for forever. It can't be dependent on rewards, motivation, or labels like success because eventually the only one that will exist is maintaining whatever weight seem reasonably close to an ideal and is relatively easy to maintain. It will be like mowing the grass knowing that you will need to mow it again and again during the growing season. There is no success there is just keeping the grass in a tolerable range. You mow the grass because it is part of your weekly process.

This is why for the longest time now I have practiced a discipline of doing the process and treating weight loss as a bonus prize. I am human so those lines get fuzzy for me here and there but I do decently most of the time. My biggest concern is not what the scale will read next week but what it will read in 3 years, 5 years, 10 years, and so forth.