Food, Exercise, or other Reports

Options

Replies

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    @NovusDies

Part of my frustration is also dread because this is the time of year that everything started unraveling in both of my past weight loss successes. I'll get started well in the winter, do fantastic during the spring, but when summer hits, my resolve just starts to dwindle and the weight loss stalls then turns into a long term plateau, and in each of the last 2 attempts (2012 and 2017), that's when the regain starts. IN 2012, I ended up regaining 90 of the 95 lbs I lost; in 2017 I regained 30 (though I figure that's a success since at least the 2nd time in, I didn't regain all 100 that I had lost, right?)

I hope things can be better this time around since I'm more aware of it starting to happen, but being aware of it is one thing; winning the willpower battle with snack drive and mental hunger is quite another.

I know mentally that even if I just stabilize for the next couple of months and pick back up after the holidays, that would be okay and be a win; giving myself permission to do that? Not so easy lol But that's the highly self-critical part of me talking; the part that won't consider that I've lost 140 lbs as success but just wants to focus on "if you don't reach 180 lbs, then you didn't succeed no matter how much you lost because its the goal that counts." And yes, I know that is ridiculous and I'm working on trying to ignore that little voice and I have to ignore it because trying to reason with it is impossible! But its there in the back of my head nevertheless.

Based on your trend the most you would regain this time is 10 pounds (90 - 30 - 10). Math is fun. :grin:

You won't unravel this time. You have a secret weapon this time. Us.

You are not a trustworthy character witness at your various mental trials. I hope one day that is not the case. Until it is trust that the people who can be objective (not your family apparently) and that care about you will assess your rock star-ness better than you will.

The purpose of all this is not to drive the scale down. The purpose is to live a life inside a calorie budget most of the time for forever. It can't be dependent on rewards, motivation, or labels like success because eventually the only one that will exist is maintaining whatever weight seem reasonably close to an ideal and is relatively easy to maintain. It will be like mowing the grass knowing that you will need to mow it again and again during the growing season. There is no success there is just keeping the grass in a tolerable range. You mow the grass because it is part of your weekly process.

This is why for the longest time now I have practiced a discipline of doing the process and treating weight loss as a bonus prize. I am human so those lines get fuzzy for me here and there but I do decently most of the time. My biggest concern is not what the scale will read next week but what it will read in 3 years, 5 years, 10 years, and so forth.

I'd really hope the math would work that way, though I don't even want to gain back that much :smile:

I know I'd make a lousy supporting witness for myself; someone was talking about the "eye test" in relation to BMI, waist circumference, etc, as a means of evaluating whether or not one was at a weight healthy for them, and I knew the eye test would never work for me because I can't see it except maybe in pictures. But we're talking about a deep rooted bias that has had many, many years to spread its root complex like an invasive Japanese knotweed (which I have the misfortune of having to deal with every year on two different sides of my property *sigh* ) I can recognize the problem but all my digging still hasn't undermined the root of it yet. I certainly don't see myself as a rock-star lol

Still, even knowing I have to mow the grass each week doesn't mitigate the satisfaction of looking at a fresh mowed yard and seeing how nice the last couple of hours of effort have been! And it's a renewable feeling :) I suppose I'm the sort that needs that validation, to see myself reach a goal I had set; I just wish my internal self would quit moving the goal posts!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I understand not wanting to gain back 10 pounds. I will say that the unintended side effect of my slight regain break was that my face filled back out a little. I only gained back 2 pounds but it seems to have made a difference - or I am deluding myself.

You should consider all you do for other people and all that you would be willing to do if asked. That alone makes you very valuable.
  • rockconner
    rockconner Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    An idea for y'all to consider: I walk several times/week in large stores like Kroger. Publix, Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Walmart, etc. They are climate controlled, the floors are level, and I can push carts to maintain my sketchy balance. I've lost 133# since my heaviest, but I still weigh 292# & there's no way I would walk outside in the GA heat & humidity.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    rockconner wrote: »
    An idea for y'all to consider: I walk several times/week in large stores like Kroger. Publix, Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Walmart, etc. They are climate controlled, the floors are level, and I can push carts to maintain my sketchy balance. I've lost 133# since my heaviest, but I still weigh 292# & there's no way I would walk outside in the GA heat & humidity.

There is nowhere I will not walk. I do not specifically target stores for exercise but if I am there I will take full advantage of the air conditioning and make unnecessary laps to get in more steps.

I applaud your relentlessness and your adaptation.

When I was at your weight it was quite tough on me outside in the summer. Between still carrying more than I needed and the large amount of excess skin the heat and humidity were extra brutal. I walked a little outside but they were usually half mile or less trips and at a pretty slow pace. The heat and humidity are still mightily unpleasant but I am working on my tolerance. It has improved but it still feels like walking into the oven as soon as I go through the door.
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    no walk outside for me today, but I'll gladly give it up - its raining! We've been so dry and my garden plants desperately needed it. I swear the zucchini I picked today must have tripled in size overnight last night with the rain it got then - its going on the supper table this evening :) All my squashes are looking great - 2 of my spaghetti squashes also grew at an astonishing rate last night, and the one plant I have off by itself I think is indeed a banana squash with 2 squashes on it, which please me to no end because I had thought at first that none of my banana squash seeds had germinated, then this one plant came up where I thought I had that seed. And my pumpkin patch is huge and I counted at least 6 little pumpkins so far. The leaves are the size of dinner plates on all my squash plants, which is also great because they shade the dirt and help hold the moisture.

Except my butternuts :disappointed: The plants are fantastic and I had 2 at least that were about as long as my thumb but when I looked at them this morning, they had fallen off and I don't know why. I'm going to investigate why but I'm suspecting it was the heat. And my brussel sprouts are once again beautiful plants but don't look to be making brussel sprouts. I don't know what the problem is here, either, unless its also heat as that plant family (cabbages, broccoli, cauliflower, etc) like it cooler and wetter as well. But this is the 3rd year I've tried brussel sprouts and got no results, the 2nd year from seed, so next year I'm going to get different seed and see if that makes a difference.

I've also been trying to figure out why my rutabagas won't form the large balls like they are supposed to and it seems that is heat related too, so this evening, rain or not, I'm going to put some more seed out. They like cooler weather so perhaps if they germinate now, they'll be maturing in mid October and might work then. My tomatoes are blooming wonderfully, and my little watermelon and cantaloupe plants are finally growing longer and have blooms so we'll see if I end up with any fruit on them.

@rockconner Back in 2017 when I was living in a different town near a more populated area with bigger and more stores, I would go in the summer after work sometimes and walk the local mall for that reason. Malls aren't nearly as crowded as they used to be so I didn't have to dodge too many people, but I got tired of making the same loop 3 or 4 times just to get a 45 minute walk in :)

The stores where I live now are smaller stores, though, and much more crowded and I can't keep my speed going in them. Not to mention my fitness tracker won't count my steps if I'm pushing a cart *grumble* Course I'm also finding that I'm crisscrossing the stores a lot when I'm shopping because I'll look at my list and see that I forgot something that's clear back on the other side - and that's with putting my list in order by store aisles (because even though I've been shopping in these stores for nearly 3 years now, I still can't remember the exact order).

That's all because I've built my stamina up in the last few months, I think - but starting out in stores worked wonders for me back then and at least had me moving! I like variety, too, so while I only have 4 routes I can take here in the town I'm living in now if I want a 5+ mile walk in, I can at least vary it up from one day to the next so it doesn't feel like I'm constantly repeating myself. I haven't gotten the courage to try the other direction yet - there aren't any walking paths around here so I"m walking the edge of the road, and the berm is much wider going in the direction of the nearest town than it is the other way. But one of these days I'm going to head that way - its 4 miles one way to the little community where the Taco Bell is, and 8 miles to the nearest town that way and probably 10 miles to my church in that town - one of these days, I want to walk all the way to the church and I'll have to walk the road to get there (while it would be shorter as the crow flies to just cross the mountain behind my parents' house I doubt I'd be able to find my way and would probably wind up lost or eaten by a bear lol). There is the train track that goes all the way to the other town too, but I can't walk the tracks easily - the ties are unevenly spaced and throw my walking gait off and I find myself sometimes slipping on the ties. I like walking where I can keep an even pace and get into my groove, so to speak.

I noticed last week a place across from the fair grounds near where I work where excavation work was going on, then saw a sign a little further down the road announcing it was where the aquatic center was being built - yeah! They are finally getting started on it! Its supposed to be open by this time next year. I'll look forward to it and perhaps, depending on the fees they charge, sign up for swimming lessons. I can float and paddle a little but not actually swim and don't get into water over my head; plus it will be a great way to keep active in winter and being so close to where I work, be very accessible too.

So meanwhile, I did an hour on the elliptical this morning and got a ~30 minute cardio session in this afternoon. We'll see what I get into this evening. Since its raining, I might just go out, measure the booths in my camper, and start making the covers I'll need for the cushions. That might be more sedentary than active, but it is something I need to do, and since I'm indoors because of the rain anyway......
  • NovusDies
    Options
    Tomorrow I am doing some physically demanding volunteer work so today and likely tomorrow I will be eating maintenance so that will be two days this week not the normal one. I have learned my lesson though. The .142 pounds of weight loss I am sacrificing will not only allow me to help other people easier it will also take less time to recover. I was able to do volunteer work even when I as fully heavy but not physical stuff and I always felt left out. I certainly do not want to feel left out again because I was too foolish to prepare properly for the event. In a deficit your body never totally repletes your glycogen.
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    I almost made it yesterday under calorie goal, but those low carb banana muffins I made were singing a siren's call last night before bed that I couldn't resist, which put me about 160 calories over. Not a big deal, though, in the long run. I plan to take the rest of them over to mom and dad this evening (after getting another for breakfast lol) since they are 3g of sugar and only 9 carbs apiece and dad's doctor has him counting carbs because of his diabetes. That'll put the rest of them out of my reach.

Anywho, we finally had rain yesterday, and the heat has been down because of the cloud cover yesterday and again today, praise the Lord! My house is a little warm right now because I'm self-cleaning the oven, but not bad and not enough to kick the air conditioners on - and the oven really needed cleaned!

Even though I had trouble going to sleep last night, and even though I woke up with my legs a little swollen due to water retention, I had an all time low on the scale this morning - 228.9 lbs! That was very nice to see! Still doesn't get my overall trend below 230 yet, but it greatly helps! Yesterday evening ended up being a rest evening as I spent the whole evening reading other than doing my dishes after dinner, and apparently, my body was needing that.

I'm still dragging, though. Vacation can't get here fast enough!

I got another hour elliptical session in this morning and this evening is jiu-jitsu, though that's always a toss up as to how much activity I'm actually getting there. I'm debating on whether to do a lunch time cardio session; we'll see when lunch time gets here.

Good luck to you, @NovusDies - and hope you have fun with it! I need to mow grass here at the house tomorrow, dig out the hedge trimmer and attack the japanese knotweed on the bank between me and the neighbor and me and my grandfather's property beside me and see if the tips I read online for controlling the stuff works. I also need to vacuum my house if I don't get it done today, and then perhaps take dinner to the parents' camp and mow there tomorrow evening.

So my weekend is going to be busy too!
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Still taking a break from running until my heel pain resolves which is probably just as well with the heat we've had lately (@bmeadows380 I feel that pain! We finally have a break below 90 for a few days and I'mso relieved!).

I did some yoga again today. It seems as long as I use a block under my heel for down dog and adjust some other poses accordingly, it doesn't aggravate my heel too much.

I set a random goal for myself that by the end of the year, I want to do a handstand. For no reason other than it looks fun.

I've been doing a conglomeration of Nerd Fitness handstand progression, Dana Falsetti's Making Shapes yoga series, and Jessamyn Stanley's Yoga for Every Body. It is amazing and encouraging to see women with bodies like mine leading advanced yoga. (And gives me no excuse to say "well I could do that if I didn't have a belly/were smaller/etc... lol)

It seems go be working! Last night I did a partial handstand against the wall (think bent at a right angle - body parallel to wall, legs against wall parallel to floor), and it felt amazing! It's exciting to be see the strength and balance work paying off. I also managed to do crow pose for like half a second before I fell flat on my face. After today's strength focused session, it will be a few days before I try again. I'll be feeling it tomorrow!
  • emmyjaykay
    emmyjaykay Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Jessamyn Stanley's book is really great, @eliezalot —do you use her subscription service The Underbelly at all? That's where I get my shorter yoga sessions since she has more challenging classes available. I'm also a huge fan of her personality and how no-nonsense she is about yoga.
  • eliezalot
    Options
    @emmyjaykay - I haven't used it yet, but I'm planning to! I have a few of her series that I had purchased on Cody (now Alo Moves). Once I finish with those, I think I'll try out the Underbelly. I love everything about her...I regularly laugh out loud during the classes, and love how practical and down to earth she is. What sorts of classes does she have on the Underbelly?
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    Options
    I'm really not coping with the heat well at all. I want to sleep all the time and not move.
  • eliezalot
    Options
    @AlexandraFindsHerself1971 - I'm so sorry. I also tend to short-circuit in the heat, melting into a puddle of crabby uselessness, lol. And sometimes I think that is the best thing to do (at least that is what I keep telling myself). It is easy to overdo it, and heat-related illnesses are no fun. I hope you get to take a cool nap under the AC vent, with a fan and a cool drink, and that cooler weather hits you soon!

...And if nothing else, October is coming soon....right? ...Right??
    :bawling::bawling::bawling:
  • NovusDies
    Options
    I worked pretty hard this morning. It really paid off well to eat maintenance yesterday and high carb. I did 30 minutes on the elliptical and walked 3 miles before leaving for the event. I was able to hustle for a solid 3 hours straight before I took a break. My body is so geared up for a fairly lengthy exercise period in the morning time that doing less and eating more was like giving me speed. I am not bragging. I am just reporting. Trust that about 1.5 hours after the event I came down almost far enough to take a nap. I leaned back in my recliner and everything but I could not close the deal. Ah well.
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    I give up on counting today. I spent a minimum of 4 hours today pushing mowing grass, with 3 of those 4 hours mowing grass that was knee high (I was very proud of myself for not bogging down my mower too many times lol) And that was mostly in the direct sun. 2 hours, not including the 1 hour riding mowing, was done in my yard, the neighbor's yard, and my grandfather's next door (that was one of hte areas where i was pushing mowing what needed brush hogged) and then a minimum of 2 hours down at my parents' camp, also pushing mowing weeds and grass that really needed brush hogged (dad's tractor bit the dust). We had hotdogs and macaroni salad, and I have lost track of what all I ate today, but with 17,000+ steps in for the day and at least 15,000 of those earned by push mowing, I figure I had to have burned a ton of calories today as that has to qualify as an extreme workout, right?

And my arms are already starting to ache; its going to be fun tonight and tomorrow!

Meanwhile, I hope to get to sleep earlier tonight as I want to get a walk in tomorrow morning and also stop by my grandmother's and drop off the head of cabbage I pulled out of my garden for her today.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    Options
    It gets better here in about the second to third week of September. You still have warm days but they're in the high seventies, not low nineties/high eighties. And the nights drop into the mid to low sixties. That's what I like.
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    It gets better here in about the second to third week of September. You still have warm days but they're in the high seventies, not low nineties/high eighties. And the nights drop into the mid to low sixties. That's what I like.

That’s how it is here on WV too-get passed September 15th and the weather gets much more bearable! I’m with you on preferring my temps in the 70’s! My pastor was commenting on how what we’re getting here is NC weather but I admit I’m not so thankful for that/if I wanted Carolina weather, I’d live in the Carolinas! Lol

I think I made a record for myself today - I walked 8 miles this morning and got 15,000 steps in!

Which is good because it’s mom’s dinner today so it’s going to be high calorie I know.
  • emmyjaykay
    emmyjaykay Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    @eliezalot Most of the classes on The Underbelly are between 30 and 40 minutes long. She has three "tracks" of 10 videos each. One is supposed to be beginner, then intermediate, and then advanced. I get the impression that you're supposed to work through them sequentially but I pick and choose since I get my yoga classes from tons of different places. Her personality is 100% on show in some of them and I'll add them to my list and put them in my regular rotation.

I'm around the intermediate level right now since my dolphin pose still needs work and I want to built some more strength/flexibility in my shoulders before I move onto advanced inversions. But—they're there, too!
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    I was 0.04 miles shy of 6 miles in this morning :( Not that I was shooting for 6 miles, but still....

I think my next goal will be to take a Saturday and walk the opposite direction that I normally walk and go to my church. I set my trip meter yesterday and saw that its around 8 miles from my house to the church parking lot, and since I just walked 8 miles this past Sunday morning, I know its very possible. The trick, however, is to do it when I know my mother will be down there or can come and get me, because I don't think I'm up to the 8 miles back home!

My all time low scale reading was Saturday morning, with a 3 lb bump up yesterday morning that I was expecting after all the work I did on Saturday. Today's reading is back down 1 lb and it has gotten my trend under 230 lbs and hopefully it will stay that way! What I didn't realize is that this week, I have passed from Obesity class II BMI to class I - that was good news! Especially considering I started deeply into class III with a BMI of nearly 55 - I'm down to 34.8 now. My big goal is to get that BMI into the overweight range. I doubt I'll ever see the "healthy" range just because of how much work those last 20 lbs are, but we'll see. Of course, right now, I just want to see 220 lbs, then 200, then 180......

TOM is coming this week, so I know that means fighting fatigue, hunger brain, and the scale is going to go up on me. And I have a lot to do. If it doesn't rain, I need to finish push mowing my grandfather's property next door, then I want to take my hedge trimmers and attack the stupid knotweed growing on that property as well as the shrubs coming back up on the bank. And I have GOT to vacuum today! I've put that off long enough! And then the end of this week is moving weekend for the best friend; I'm the friend with the truck lol and with her bad knee, I'll be doing the heavy lifting - thankfully, this year I'm going DOWN the stairs with her stuff instead of UP them!

so all that will probably mean water weight stall out for the next week or so *grumbles*
  • eliezalot
    Options
    Thanks @emmyjaykay! I think once I get through the series I have, I'll definitely subscribe to The Underbelly. I've been spending a ton of time in dolphin pose lately, and my shoulders are definitely feeling it!
  • eliezalot
    Options
    All in all, it was a pretty good weekend. My hunger feels back under control after my deficit break.

We ordered Thai on Friday night, which was a nice break from cooking. Saturday was leftovers, and yesterday we cooked up some homemade tortilla chips, guacamole, and fish for supper (we split a tuna steak and a swordfish steak). It just tasted so fresh!

Saturday I did an hour of yoga and 3 short bike rides to run errands. Yesterday I did a short yoga video, then spent about 3 hours working out in the garden.

Do any of you track calories burned from gardening? I don't use a fitbit or anything, and the MFP estimates seem really high (more-so than for other activities). I usually record and eat back about 50% of the exercise calories I'm given, but even that feels like a bit much for gardening. Three hours of gardening gave me about 1000 calories, and taking 500 seems like a lot (compared to how much I burn say, running for an hour). What seems like an accurate/appropriate calorie burn?