Food, Exercise, or other Reports

Options

Replies

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    @eliezalot

when it comes to gardening, it really depends on what kind of effort I'm doing - but I agree that the MFP estimate seems very high.

If I'm doing a lot of digging and hauling that is a lot of muscle power, I'll put in for more calories than if I'm spending a lot of my time standing in place, pulling weeds, etc. If I spend 2 hours, I'll probably account for 15-30 minutes of the time in normal activities; if its really strenuous work for 2 hours, I might count 45 - 60 minutes of it. I think in this case, I'd rather err on the side of caution and cut myself too short than count too many calories.

I do the same thing with my jiu-jitsu. I know I'm not burning the calories for a 2 hour session that MFP says I am because I'm not constantly moving or rolling the entire time. I figure during a typical 2 hour class session, I'm actually working and moving maybe 15 to 20 minutes of it total, including the warmup jogging we do and the active training sessions. So I'll count 15 minutes normally, or maybe even 10.

Same thing for my elliptical - MFP only has 1 elliptical entry and doesn't break it up into light effort, moderate effort, etc. While I will use the pre-programmed workouts on my elliptical which can get the resistance up to an 8 or 10, I doubt my cheap home elliptical (that was given to me so I can't complain) is giving me the same sort of workout that a more expensive model in a gym would be providing, especially as my heart rate stays around 100-105 max while I'm on it. So I don't use that at all and instead count 75% of my time as walking 3.0 mph.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    @bmeadows380

How many exercise calories did you give yourself for the 8 mile walk and how many for the yard mowing? The 8 mile walk for me would be no less than 840 calories and the mowing would be at least 1200 and probably over 1500 by the way you describe it.
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    @bmeadows380, that's helpful!

I ended up taking about 300 calories for it - I was doing strenuous work, but with plenty of intermittent breaks. I also think my perceived effort was overinflated due to the heat and being sore from the previous day. I hate having to estimate so much, but it just isn't consistent enough for me to get a good idea of actual calorie expenditure. It'll all even out eventually I suppose! :smile:
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    @bmeadows380

How many exercise calories did you give yourself for the 8 mile walk and how many for the yard mowing? The 8 mile walk for me would be no less than 840 calories and the mowing would be at least 1200 and probably over 1500 by the way you describe it.

@NovusDies

I counted 118 minutes of the 8 mile walk which was 679 calories. The first 2 hour pushing mowing session I counted 105 minutes which gave me 1008 calories burned, but I gave up logging after the second push mowing session and the family cookout as I had lost track of time and food intake when I didn't have cell coverage to figure out what mom's meal might have consisted of. If I had been counting, I probably would have counted another 45 minutes at least, which would have put me in the neighborhood of 1500 calories counted for the grass mowing on Saturday. But I probably could have counted more for that grass since it was over knee high grass that really should have been brush hogged (I lifted the mower's front up and made a first pass, then came across it again for the second) which took a lot of power to push through, especially when I hit the softer ground and began fighting the ruts left by dad's tracker. I finally gave up after getting to where the ground was just too soft and too rutted to fight the push mower over - the grass was much wetter there, too, and clogged the mower too badly to continue.

Yeah, I was probably under-counting my calories burnt, which is why I wasn't too too concerned about going over on my eating either day. Especially with as hot as it was on Saturday. I didn't get dehydrated, though - I made sure to keep drinks and sunscreen and I sweated like crazy but never showed the signs of being dehyrated - had plenty of potty breaks during that day!
  • NovusDies
    Options
    eliezalot wrote: »
    All in all, it was a pretty good weekend. My hunger feels back under control after my deficit break.

We ordered Thai on Friday night, which was a nice break from cooking. Saturday was leftovers, and yesterday we cooked up some homemade tortilla chips, guacamole, and fish for supper (we split a tuna steak and a swordfish steak). It just tasted so fresh!

Saturday I did an hour of yoga and 3 short bike rides to run errands. Yesterday I did a short yoga video, then spent about 3 hours working out in the garden.

Do any of you track calories burned from gardening? I don't use a fitbit or anything, and the MFP estimates seem really high (more-so than for other activities). I usually record and eat back about 50% of the exercise calories I'm given, but even that feels like a bit much for gardening. Three hours of gardening gave me about 1000 calories, and taking 500 seems like a lot (compared to how much I burn say, running for an hour). What seems like an accurate/appropriate calorie burn?

Walking I can earn around 300 calories per hour so I try to relate household chores to the amount of movement or levels of exertion. In some cases gardening could be a much bigger calorie burner than walking. In other cases it would be less.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    @bmeadows380

@NovusDies

I counted 118 minutes of the 8 mile walk which was 679 calories. The first 2 hour pushing mowing session I counted 105 minutes which gave me 1008 calories burned, but I gave up logging after the second push mowing session and the family cookout as I had lost track of time and food intake when I didn't have cell coverage to figure out what mom's meal might have consisted of. If I had been counting, I probably would have counted another 45 minutes at least, which would have put me in the neighborhood of 1500 calories counted for the grass mowing on Saturday. But I probably could have counted more for that grass since it was over knee high grass that really should have been brush hogged (I lifted the mower's front up and made a first pass, then came across it again for the second) which took a lot of power to push through, especially when I hit the softer ground and began fighting the ruts left by dad's tracker. I finally gave up after getting to where the ground was just too soft and too rutted to fight the push mower over - the grass was much wetter there, too, and clogged the mower too badly to continue.

Yeah, I was probably under-counting my calories burnt, which is why I wasn't too too concerned about going over on my eating either day. Especially with as hot as it was on Saturday. I didn't get dehydrated, though - I made sure to keep drinks and sunscreen and I sweated like crazy but never showed the signs of being dehyrated - had plenty of potty breaks during that day!

@bmeadows380

Yeah the mowing was probably ~2000 and you are only giving yourself 85 calories per mile. That is definitely too low. I am between 105-110 per mile and you should be slightly higher than me not lower.
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    @bmeadows380

@NovusDies

@bmeadows380

Yeah the mowing was probably ~2000 and you are only giving yourself 85 calories per mile. That is definitely too low. I am between 105-110 per mile and you should be slightly higher than me not lower.

@NovusDies

I think its the mental game - my mind wants to balk at seeing 1,000+ calorie burns :blush: It doesn't help that I'm constantly see warnings in other threads about not burning as many calories as people think they do. I'm still having a hard time considering myself an active person lol (yes, I know - we've been rounds on that one before :grin: )

I'm hoping to get some more mowing in today if the weather holds. I'm using MFP's database entry and 75%, but I'll monitor my effort and if its takes more than I think it is going to take (I'm working on my grandfather's property next door that has only been mowed once, but the section I'm mowing today he did get mowed that once so it's not as high as the other was). It'll be fun trying to figure out the hedge trimming entry, though.

I've already gotten over 14,000 steps in today thanks to the walk this morning, vacuuming and steam mopping the house, then doing 25 minutes cardio.

*laughs* looking at all that plus what I intend to do this evening, I'll admit that I probably count as very active today at least, or very, very active!
  • NovusDies
    Options
    @bmeadows380

@NovusDies

@bmeadows380

@NovusDies

I think its the mental game - my mind wants to balk at seeing 1,000+ calorie burns :blush: It doesn't help that I'm constantly see warnings in other threads about not burning as many calories as people think they do. I'm still having a hard time considering myself an active person lol (yes, I know - we've been rounds on that one before :grin: )

I'm hoping to get some more mowing in today if the weather holds. I'm using MFP's database entry and 75%, but I'll monitor my effort and if its takes more than I think it is going to take (I'm working on my grandfather's property next door that has only been mowed once, but the section I'm mowing today he did get mowed that once so it's not as high as the other was). It'll be fun trying to figure out the hedge trimming entry, though.

I've already gotten over 14,000 steps in today thanks to the walk this morning, vacuuming and steam mopping the house, then doing 25 minutes cardio.

*laughs* looking at all that plus what I intend to do this evening, I'll admit that I probably count as very active today at least, or very, very active!

Do you think you are winning the mental game with your spells of less food control? Seems to me you are not. I would strongly suggest eating 100 percent of your calories on your crazy active days and if you know a day like that is coming eat 100 percent the day before too. The ability to bank and average a deficit over several days is lessened at higher activity levels. There was a time it wouldn't matter if at 800 calories one day and caught it back up over the next 2. Now, because I am so active and I am depleting my glycogen just about everyday I can't handle anything more than an additional 250 calorie deficit. If I push that over a few days I will end up sick again.

It took me some time to cross the threshold of erring on the side of slightly more fuel than I need than less but I know that is correct if I want to be this active and maintain a sensible and sustainable approach. That stretch of time I went through a couple of months ago was quite miserable. After 10 days of a break where I ate at a surplus and had an extremely large overfeed day I was still not consistently feeling better so I had another large overfeed day. I crossed back over to normal just before my 2 week break ended. It is hard to tell right now with the scale results influenced by the heat but my best guess is that I regained 3 pounds.

I would doubt you are in danger of going through that amount of sickness yet but I do not know for sure. My tolerance for one-off large deficit days has declined with my weight. I will say that all of this started with less food control back in December. After that I had a few single day episodes of fatigue, headache, and feeling terrible which taught me to eat more. It was the mistake in thinking my watch could keep up with my week of landscaping that made me get sick and stay that way.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    All in all, it was a pretty good weekend. My hunger feels back under control after my deficit break.

We ordered Thai on Friday night, which was a nice break from cooking. Saturday was leftovers, and yesterday we cooked up some homemade tortilla chips, guacamole, and fish for supper (we split a tuna steak and a swordfish steak). It just tasted so fresh!

Saturday I did an hour of yoga and 3 short bike rides to run errands. Yesterday I did a short yoga video, then spent about 3 hours working out in the garden.

Do any of you track calories burned from gardening? I don't use a fitbit or anything, and the MFP estimates seem really high (more-so than for other activities). I usually record and eat back about 50% of the exercise calories I'm given, but even that feels like a bit much for gardening. Three hours of gardening gave me about 1000 calories, and taking 500 seems like a lot (compared to how much I burn say, running for an hour). What seems like an accurate/appropriate calorie burn?

The calories MFP says I burn for water jogging Is high, too....I know I burn a lot of calories doing this but not as many as MFP says!....I only eat back 1/4 of my calories...if it says I used 1000, then I only eat back 250 and those calories are usually a protein bar after I swim...I try to eat a piece of fruit before I swim....
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    @bmeadows380

@NovusDies

@bmeadows380

@NovusDies

Do you think you are winning the mental game with your spells of less food control? Seems to me you are not. I would strongly suggest eating 100 percent of your calories on your crazy active days and if you know a day like that is coming eat 100 percent the day before too. The ability to bank and average a deficit over several days is lessened at higher activity levels. There was a time it wouldn't matter if at 800 calories one day and caught it back up over the next 2. Now, because I am so active and I am depleting my glycogen just about everyday I can't handle anything more than an additional 250 calorie deficit. If I push that over a few days I will end up sick again.

It took me some time to cross the threshold of erring on the side of slightly more fuel than I need than less but I know that is correct if I want to be this active and maintain a sensible and sustainable approach. That stretch of time I went through a couple of months ago was quite miserable. After 10 days of a break where I ate at a surplus and had an extremely large overfeed day I was still not consistently feeling better so I had another large overfeed day. I crossed back over to normal just before my 2 week break ended. It is hard to tell right now with the scale results influenced by the heat but my best guess is that I regained 3 pounds.

I would doubt you are in danger of going through that amount of sickness yet but I do not know for sure. My tolerance for one-off large deficit days has declined with my weight. I will say that all of this started with less food control back in December. After that I had a few single day episodes of fatigue, headache, and feeling terrible which taught me to eat more. It was the mistake in thinking my watch could keep up with my week of landscaping that made me get sick and stay that way.

Winning the mental game I'm not, I know, but the battle with head hunger is just life. It gets worse this time of year, or after I've been trying to lose weight for an extended period of time. I've been battling it really ever since I took my diet break in June. But I don't know if its an issue of under eating my activity level or not because the scale has been very slow since then as well. I was supposed to be on track to clear 1.5 - 1.75 lbs a week on average since then, but right now I'm barely seeing 0.75 to 1 lbs/week average. At the same time, water weight has been a big problem since dog days set in, so who knows what the actual loss is. I admit I lost track of the spreadsheet; much of my activity this summer has been impossible for me to figure out how to track since my fitness tracker isn't capturing it. So with as sluggish as the scale has been in the last 7 weeks, I'm leery of actually recording 100% calories that MFP says I should have burned for fear of it stopping completely. Its been taking a lot of mental fortitude just to stick to the plan of staying with 75% instead of dropping down even more.

I do feel tired a lot, but that's been life for the last several years at least; fatigue is nothing new for me, so I can't say its a sign that I'm under eating for my activity levels. Everyone tells me when they see my weight loss that "oh, you must feel so much better now and have loads more energy!" but the truth is, no, I don't. I don't feel any different than I did before and much of what I get done is because I have to get it done. I have increased my walking of course, so my activity has increased so maybe that is wiping out whatever energy gains I might have gotten. But it don't matter whether I'm in steep deficit or eating maintenance, my energy levels don't really boost.

I know I have a whole lot less reserves than I did before, so over doing it or too little eating can have a much bigger effect sooner than it did before, which is why after diet break, I really tried to slow down the loss rate since I was 3 lbs/wk before the break (I just wasn't trying to slow it down to what I'm at now!) My sleeping patterns right now I think are more of a contributor to flagging energy, and I'm come to the conclusion that I'm going to have to break down and buy a new mattress; the one I have is 5 years old, and it was a cheaper model offline so that's the max of its lifespan. Its rather frustrating to be dragging all day long, finally get to bedtime only to find myself wide awake or unable to stay asleep for long periods. I really, really wish I could just start my workday around 10 AM or so....

I want to get to 220 lbs by October 1st if I can. I'm working now to get my brain onboard with the idea of taking an extended diet break from October through the holidays, or for 3 months, first, because its the holidays and there's always food involved, and second, because I've been in deficit mode since January of this year and with being 60 lbs or less away from goal, I know I need to take more breaks and I figure a 3 month period after 9 months of deficit could be good for me in ways beyond just practicing maintenance eating.

• Ccricfo
    Ccricfo Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Where can I get more information on diet breaks? I'm no where near to considering one, but I hear them talked about a lot here. What good do they do? Do you count all of your food intake while you are doing them?
  • Mrs_Smith_8002
    Mrs_Smith_8002 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where to post this because I feel sure it has probably been asked and discussed before, but when I tried to search for it, nothing came up.

How reliable is a Fitbit connected to MFP in reporting the calories burned? So my CW is 360. If I walk for one hour at 3mph, myFitbit says I burn 750-800 calories. If I log it on MFP, it is closer to 550-600. Also my Fitbit is tracking all day, so it registers all my walking as exercise. At the end if the day, I regularly have 1500 exercise calories total because it counts all my activity as exercise.

I haven't been eating back exercise calories because I don't know what is a realistic number.

Give me some advice please!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Ccricfo wrote: »
    Where can I get more information on diet breaks? I'm no where near to considering one, but I hear them talked about a lot here. What good do they do? Do you count all of your food intake while you are doing them?

You can look up diet breaks on the internet and read about it here....I obviously need to learn more before I attempt my next one....I took my break because I was curious how I would be able to handle a break with the binging problems I have....it was my first planned break in 14 months....I had binged for a few days but never planned a maintenance break....you eat maintenance and still log your foods....it is suppose to reset your hormones,metabolism etc and helpful if you become bored, tired or start losing motivation or weight loss stops or slows down drastically....at some point you have to learn how to survive on maintenance calories....read and learn and plan plan plan before you take your first break...the more you need to lose, you can diet longer before a break and as you get closer to your goal, you need to maintain more often....
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I'm not sure where to post this because I feel sure it has probably been asked and discussed before, but when I tried to search for it, nothing came up.

How reliable is a Fitbit connected to MFP in reporting the calories burned? So my CW is 360. If I walk for one hour at 3mph, myFitbit says I burn 750-800 calories. If I log it on MFP, it is closer to 550-600. Also my Fitbit is tracking all day, so it registers all my walking as exercise. At the end if the day, I regularly have 1500 exercise calories total because it counts all my activity as exercise.

I haven't been eating back exercise calories because I don't know what is a realistic number.

I have a hard time figuring this out, too....when I started at 350 lbs there is no way I could take a walk without being completely winded and exhausted....I could not prepare a meal without taking sit down breaks....so I only began exercising about six weeks ago at 270 lbs....my exercise of choice is swimming....yep, I lost 80 lbs with minimum exercise...slowly I started moving more in the house or walking more aisles in stores...before I had to use the electric carts in stores!....

The calorie thingy says I burn 1000 calorie in 90 minutes of water jogging,swimming and water aerobics...I honestly don’t see how I use this many calories....my solution that has worked so far is to eat 1/4 of those calories back....I do not to choose to use it for treat food but I guess you could....I have an extra piece of fruit and 1/2 of a protein bar and an extra ounce or two of meat with my dinner....

I hope this helps....Novus and Bmeadows can advise you more detailed than I do....
  • Mrs_Smith_8002
    Mrs_Smith_8002 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    @conniewilkins56 thank you for chiming in!
  • MuttiNM
    MuttiNM Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    @Mrs_Smith_8002 I have seen other MFP users use the following formula to calculate calories for their walking exercise: body weight in pounds x number of miles x efficiency ratio of .3. I'm not sure how accurate this number is for most people. If someone here has used this formula, maybe they can comment.
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    Options

Hi @Ccricfo - This thread on the main forum has a ton of good information (mostly summarized in the first post...you don't need to read all two hundred pages lol). This is the guidance that got me started on my breaks! Definitely follow the links in the post - there's some great additional information there.
  • bmeadows380
    Options

Hi @Ccricfo - This thread on the main forum has a ton of good information (mostly summarized in the first post...you don't need to read all two hundred pages lol). This is the guidance that got me started on my breaks! Definitely follow the links in the post - there's some great additional information there.

@Ccricfo

the link is

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1

I also created a new thread on the subject here in LL:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10805137/diet-breaks#latest

I know I had all the information distilled down at some point here in LL, but I can't find the post where I did it, so I made the above thread so I can find it again when I need it!
  • bmeadows380
    Options

I'm afraid I can't help you there as I don't use a fitbit - mine is a cheap fitness tracker that I have to manually sync up, but I prefer it that way myself because I can control the added calorie information.

I think @PAV8888 may be able to help you, though, and if they don't respond, there are others in the main forums who can help. You are right that those numbers sound inflated. One question: do you have negative adjustments enabled? I think that's needed to get the right calorie adjustments made.
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    @NovusDies

after my nearly 6 mile walk this morning, plus 25 minutes of cardio, plus 1 hour of vacuuming/steam mopping my house, I got another 30 minutes push mowing in, tall grass on a hillside, then spent an hour using battery hedge trimmers to cut down the stupid knotweed grove on the edge of my property and the other brush along the bank behind the house as well as using hte battery chain saw to cut down the brush too thick for the hedge trimmers - and all that was working on the bank as well. Which resulted in over 20,000 steps today......

I did count the full 30 minutes of grass mowing, but couldn't bring myself to count the full hour of the brush work. And after coming in and getting a shower to get all that crud off my skin, I was too tired to bother cooking, so I went to Taco Bell for a chicken burrito, chicken taco, and splurged on a half cut tea and some cinnamon twists, and still had enough calories for a glass of milk and a bowl of Breyer's carb smart vanilla ice cream. Came in under deficit by 50 according to what I recorded, and likely more than that, but I'm going to bed tonight full!

tomorrow will be a lot less active; I'll try to get my walk in tomorrow morning if its not raining and get the cardio in at lunchtime, but I need to take one of my cats to the vet tomorrow afternoon so who knows how long that will take. I hope it rains tomorrow - I'll work on some sewing projects that I need to get done gladly if it rains and keeps me indoors!