WaistAways Team Chat - August 2020

Replies

• micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,253 Member
    I wish I were more consistent. I’m trying to remember the words from my post. But a gain with this weekly report is a little discouraging. 2u2heykm30of.jpeg
  • BaileyCat88
    BaileyCat88 Posts: 39 Member
    ^ I've never had that many green stars in a row! Keep going!
  • conleywoods
    conleywoods Posts: 974 Member
    @Gidgitgoescrazy I totally understand what you are feeling and what you mean. I am definitely a recovering perfectionist myself and frequently have those thoughts creep back in. I also work out a lot most days of the week. This is actually a big topic on noom and they call it a thought distortion. There are several different types but you and I fall under the same one, all or nothing thinking. You are so right to question this behavior because it can really derail progress. Try to just be aware of your thoughts and use counter thoughts when you know you are thinking things that are untrue. "I missed my workout and I will never catch up, might as well give up" This thought should be replaced with "I missed my workout but I can still watch my calories and workout tomorrow " Another thing they have us practice in noom is exposing ourselves to triggers or things that make us uncomfortable to build our tolerance. Things like walking past the chips at the store or planning shorter workouts (even if it freaks us out).

You really do such an amazing job and I believe in you. This is just another opportunity to master another part of this journey. I know when work starts for me, I won't be able to workout 2 hours a day anymore. It makes me uncomfortable and I am preparing to take a similar look at my plan in the coming weeks. It's hard, but we will make it.
  • Pearl4686
    Pearl4686 Posts: 918 Member
    Hi all.
    I totally sympathize with the all-or-nothing mindset. It is really hard and I have to remind myself all the time that slipping up does NOT equal a lost day. Very hard to switch that mindset. I make sure to include regular treats in my diet as I know from past experiences that I give up easily when I slip up. So I'd rather have 'allowed' treats than go into 'failed day' mode. Same with working out.

Today I had a good day. Stayed under caloreis, went on a long hike. Then managed to fit in a class tonight.
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,004 Member
    @micki48 - I see why it might be discouraging! All those calories burned, all the good hours, and still a gain. On the good side, you are probably building muscle. On the "reality" side, you do not have enough of a calorie deficit, and often fitness trackers tell you that you are burning more calories than you really are. 80% of weight loss is because of intake, but sadly we don't have something we can strap on our wrists to help us be more accurate with that part! Try increasing fibre by as much as you can and see if that makes a difference. Sometimes it isn't the amount of food, but the balance - I always put on weight when fibre goes down, even if the calories seem to be the same. Keep up the experimentation and you'll find it! Don't give up now - you're going to figure it all out!
  • jugar
    So gang, another hump day is arriving. Here is where we are on weigh-ins:

Overdue or due today:
    @reflectionofme
    @Mandiv2020
    @CM_73

Due Wednesday -
    @offitgoes
    @evelynladams527

May the scale be with you!
  • EvMakesChanges
    EvMakesChanges Posts: 542 Member
    Steps: 5,700 and 25 minutes swimming. I’ll let you work your magic on those minutes of exercise to steps, @jugar. Thanks!
    I’ll write more tomorrow and try to catch up a bit earlier while it’s cooler.
  • Gidgitgoescrazy
    Gidgitgoescrazy Posts: 638 Member
    Steps 8/11 = 2437

No excuses... I just didn't feel like doing anything, so I didn't... and I deserved it... Food was really on point though, so it was a good day !

Thank you all for the support, it's nice when people understand, because my hubby does not.. He is such a "in the moment" person, and he's like If you don't want to exercise, don't exercise, you don't HAVE to do anything... lol - He's really supportive, but he doesn't understand my tendency towards perfectionism, I say that now, because I used to be much worse, I've mellowed some since marrying him..

Anyway, exercised this morning, thought I would try this HIIT app I have, so I did 30 minutes of my regular workout, then 10 of the HIIT app (well it's actually 8 because 2 of the minutes is rest time) anyway... OMG that was tough, I was sure I was gonna have a heart attack right then and there, I did not finish.. so that is my new goal to make it through a full 10 minutes of this HIIT app..

Anyway, Hope you all have a great day..

Oh and on the HELLO FRESH if anyone would like to try it, I have 4 free boxes to give away ( I believe it's 3 meals for 2 people), I just need your email address. It will ask for a CC though, as they will try to get you to sign up for the following week, but it's easy to cancel, and deactivate your account.
  • offitgoes
    offitgoes Posts: 755 Member
    PW: 179.8
    CW: 181
    Was out of town on business and family. Always nice when you can combine. Tried hard. Was good with exercise but the last few days and traveling - well the weight went up. Been home for a day and already headed down on the scale.
  • jugar
    Steps 8/11 = 2437

No excuses... I just didn't feel like doing anything, so I didn't... and I deserved it... Food was really on point though, so it was a good day !

Thank you all for the support, it's nice when people understand, because my hubby does not.. He is such a "in the moment" person, and he's like If you don't want to exercise, don't exercise, you don't HAVE to do anything... lol - He's really supportive, but he doesn't understand my tendency towards perfectionism, I say that now, because I used to be much worse, I've mellowed some since marrying him..

Anyway, exercised this morning, thought I would try this HIIT app I have, so I did 30 minutes of my regular workout, then 10 of the HIIT app (well it's actually 8 because 2 of the minutes is rest time) anyway... OMG that was tough, I was sure I was gonna have a heart attack right then and there, I did not finish.. so that is my new goal to make it through a full 10 minutes of this HIIT app..

Anyway, Hope you all have a great day..

Oh and on the HELLO FRESH if anyone would like to try it, I have 4 free boxes to give away ( I believe it's 3 meals for 2 people), I just need your email address. It will ask for a CC though, as they will try to get you to sign up for the following week, but it's easy to cancel, and deactivate your account.
    I would love that! A whole bunch of us in the family are chipping in to give this to my mom for her 90th birthday, so anything that makes it possible to keep it going longer is welcome! My email is liselyn@gmail.com Thanks!
  • jugar
    Happy Hump Day!
    I'm going to try to be more like @Gidgitgoescrazy and less like her husband this week. I saw a new physiotherapist yesterday who helped straighten out my lower spine and pelvis and he gave the the ok to do some of the exercises I had been avoiding since my fall in April. I have been exercising in a rather haphazard fashion, so my new mantra is "May the Vikki be with me".

It is SO hot - I'm sure a lot of us are in this heat wave - it makes me hot just looking at your photo, Chris @CM_73 . Between the tuque and the beard, I need a glass of ice water! And don't worry - there is no way to do this badly except not to do it. You came here for a reason, and you're making it work as well as you can. If you get frustrated with lack of results, you know what to do!

I better get to that plan....
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    edited August 2020

Omg, that would be wonderful! My email is arjappert@gmail.com.

You're the best. :smile:

I had a phone appointment with my doctor today, but he wants me there in person because I've lost so much weight so fast. I don't think 100 lbs in 1.5 years is that fast (its under 2 lbs per week) but apparently he does. :/
  • Pearl4686
    Pearl4686 Posts: 918 Member
    Hey all
    Another decent day. I went over by about 100 calories but then managed a run tonight (c25k week 7). The heatwave here has been pretty intense, so I haven't been running for about 2 weeks but tonight it finally let up and was just about bearable. Had to mop my face quite frequently. I hope tomorrow is a little cooler, I'm finding the hear very difficult. I know I will be more comfortable when the weight comes off.
  • jugar
    Due to inspiration from @Gidgitgoescrazy I got a good workout done today. I tried something new - a yoga flow thing that was pretty challenging! I'm not sure I'd pick it to do often, but I have put it in the rotation. Tomorrow is weights.

I'm also inspired by you @Pearl4686 - running in this heat, even if it had let up a bit - I'll bet the face mop was getting as good a workout as you were. Good for you! I bailed on my longer walk today - it was just too hot, and by the time it cooled off, I was in the middle of too many other things.

OK - let the daily nagging begin :tongue:
    Late:
    @reflectionofme
    @Mandiv2020

Due today:
    @evelynladams527

Due tomorrow (Thursday):
    @eggfreak
    @conleywoods
    @thinfairy2020

Thanks!
  • EvMakesChanges
    EvMakesChanges Posts: 542 Member
    Oh, phooey. I forgot to weigh myself first thing today. Sigh. I’ll do it in the morning and post right away. Sorry! Too many days have run into each other.
    G’night!
  • conleywoods
    conleywoods Posts: 974 Member
    Hello,

Today was a nice change of pace for our family. We went up to our cabin with my in laws and their long time friend joined us for a day of huckleberry picking. I am giving myself 45 minutes of hiking time for the day. I forgot my watch so this seems reasonable. I did a mix of light walking to pick berries and then a more intense hike to the creek and back so the kids can fish for little fishes 🎣. Basically lots of climbing over logs, lifting kids, digging for worms, climbing steep banks etc. Calories were a touch over but not bad.

@jugar So exciting that you are cleared for more exercise. Congrats on the yoga routine. I think yoga is so hard! I haven't tried it in a while and would be interested in trying it after loosing more weight. Let's be honest, those skinny little instructors are holding up a lot less weight than us bigger people on some of those moves! 😆 🤣

@terytha I wouldn't worry too much about the doctor visit. They probably see people do some crazy stuff to drop pounds. You are very consistent and do a solid job of managing your calorie budget.
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,253 Member
    Hi all! Just a quick check in. I'm ok. 2020 is getting to me between the pandemic and the state of our country, feeling a little down. But fine. I haven't had nearly as good a week as last week. Consistency is not my forte. I'll try and do better tomorrow. Right now, I need to go to bed so I get some of that necessary sleep. I will check in earlier tomorrow.

One thing better, right? Just one thing, at least. I will hit my step goal tomorrow. :blush:
  • eggfreak
    eggfreak Posts: 681 Member
    @jugar
    PW 149.5
    CW 145.5
    LTD 48.5, from my high of 194, 1/8/20
    I think I was so aware of not wanting to bump back over the 150 that I was super cautious with my tracking & good with my cals., the drop still surprises me. I don't connect my fitbit to MFP - I don't really do any deliberate 'exercise' but am active so maybe this last week was extra active - like hauling a big musty rug out of storage and into the sun every day to try to get rid of the smell.
    My goal in January was to lose 50 lbs in a year - a pound a week. It did go faster for me and no matter the speed, I'm just happy to feel this good. I credit this community a lot. Many tips gleaned and encouragement from such a variety of people with a variety of situations and challenges.
    I'll be checking out the maintenance group in the next days - I might try to go a few more pounds, why? my sister asks. To see if I can lose this belly pouch - a few older women have warned that I might not be able...something to do with being 51? :) If I can't, no big deal, I feel great as is. Now if I can just make myself be as determined as so many of you and do some exercises to tone. I think that weighing my food and logging my intake will be part of my life for a lot longer - I've slipped backwards at least twice before from where I'm at now and I don't want to ever have that slow creep gain on me again. My new goal will be to be in this weight vicinity this same time next year.
  • eggfreak
    eggfreak Posts: 681 Member
    @micki48 Thing are stressful these days. If you're following the news a lot...maybe give it a break for a week, just a week where you consciously avoid tv, radio, newspaper and phone/internet news. It is not 'sticking your head in the sand'...it's just resting your mind from dwelling on things that you have very little or no control over. AND get some sleep...lack of sleep is a doozy on the emotional state.
This discussion has been closed.