Introduce Yourself

Replies

• TwistedSassette
    TwistedSassette Posts: 8,540 Member
    Hi, I'm new here! But not new to MFP. Just looking for more support and came across this group recommended in the message boards. Looks like everyone is very friendly :)

I'm 5'3" and weigh 138kg (around 300 lbs) which is the most I've ever weighed. I have really been trying to be more active lately and have had some success with that, though I still have my lazy days! My biggest problem right now is my portion sizes - I eat relatively healthily most of the time, but I just eat too much.

I also have PCOS and insulin resistance as a result, so losing weight is much tougher for me. I have to be more consistent as the results take longer to show up. I have an almost two-year-old son at home who is the absolute light of my life. We needed IVF to have him because my hormones are so messed up with PCOS, so every day I am thankful that I live in a time and place where that was an option.

My focus right now is to keep up with the exercise and track my calories more religiously. I can then start to focus on reducing the amount I'm eating and hopefully that will yield me some results!
  • DecryingShame
    DecryingShame Posts: 33 Member
    Hi all. I have 100 pounds to lose. Before coming to MFP I've never met anyone who lost 100 pounds without getting surgery. I was worried it wasn't possible but I wasn't willing to get surgery. Now I've read about several who have and I'm so excited. I'm going to make this happen!
  • alligatorob
    alligatorob Posts: 736 Member
    Hi all. I have 100 pounds to lose. Before coming to MFP I've never met anyone who lost 100 pounds without getting surgery. I was worried it wasn't possible but I wasn't willing to get surgery. Now I've read about several who have and I'm so excited. I'm going to make this happen!

It is possible, and having folks here who have done it will help you see what is possible. I have nothing against surgery or people who get it, I understand and considered it myself. But it just wasn't for me. You can do this, I know you can and will!
  • alligatorob
    alligatorob Posts: 736 Member
    My focus right now is to keep up with the exercise and track my calories more religiously. I can then start to focus on reducing the amount I'm eating and hopefully that will yield me some results!
    That is a really good way to get started. I find that the better I track things the better I do. Gotten to the point that I think about every calorie that way. Best of luck to you!

• BekkahNP
    BekkahNP Posts: 4 Member
    Good morning all

I never really had a weight problem - was a preemie and then gained weight with my children and that's when I could not seem to keep it off. YoYo dieted. Had the lap band and did great - really active watched what I was eating...

Got a port infection and had to get the band out. Kept the weight off for some time and then had a lot of stress and hit the BIG 40 and gained it back plus some. I had the gastric sleeve - no bypass - which has helped a lot - max lost was about 100 pounds but gained back quite a bit because I was an emotional eater....

Learned that I had some PTSD and dealt with that and got some other factors in my life adjusted.

45 days ago I started DDP Yoga and he recommended logging daily such as with MFP which I have been doing for about half that time now. I am doing keto which my bariatric surgeon recommended in order to get in all the protein that I need for the day, keeping my calories between 1000-1300. I have dropped almost 18 pounds and have about 60 more to go. I am doing the Yoga daily and have to say I have not felt this well in years. My joints feel better and I feel so much more energetic.

I am grateful to see this group. I work with some awesome people and have a great family but...

My coworkers are always ordering out and it is very heavy on the carbs, a lot of them are overweight too and have not decided that it is a health issue at this time, my husband is Italian - loves pasta and burns calories fast, thinks diets are me trying to kill him....

In spite of this I love to cook, am trying new keto recipies, trying to keep exercising and logging daily!

Anyway thanks for having me and I am enjoying the journey.
  • bobsburgersfan
    bobsburgersfan Posts: 6,305 Member
    Welcome to all the new people!

@alligatorob, WOW, well done!! What an accomplishment!
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Yes, welcome all newbies!...happy you found your way to this site...we are an active and supportive group....please join in to any post!...we love to hear how you are doing,new ideas,progress,whines,goals and tips....we like the good, bad and ugly lol
  • DDino22
    DDino22 Posts: 9 Member
    Looking to drop ~100 lbs myself. 20 lbs down so far from my heaviest, but only 2 since starting MFP. Not too concerned about that since it hasn't even been a week. I'm really excited to get back under the big 3 number soon. Can't wait to see everyone's progress here! Good luck everyone. Stay healthy, stay strong.
  • amart4224
    amart4224 Posts: 345 Member
    Hello! I'm 28 years old, 5' 6", and after gaining 13 pounds of quarantine weight, hit my highest weight ever at 223. My goal is to lose 88 pounds and in the past month I've lost 7 pounds through calorie counting and walking.

I spent the first 26 years of my life at a thin-average weight until I gained 70 pounds 2 years ago, so I'm really wanting to get back to feeling like myself again.
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    Welcome all!
    @DDino22 - Congrats on the loss so far, and that is a great mindset to have! Patience will always pay off...even if not quite as quickly as we all would like :lol: You'll do great!
    @amart4224 - Congrats on the loss so far! I've been overweight or obese my entire adult life, but it feels so good to even get back to where I was before. Definitely feeling more like my old self as I go.
    @Ldenzel - I am also a crafting cat lady! (Though we only have 3 kitties). You've made great progress - and to have life smack you in the face with cancer, and bounce back - that is amazing. (And only gained 20 after all that? Incredible.) It feels good to feel good!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Hi all, I am Cindy. I am 51and started MFP on July 15, 2020. I had a heart attack on 7/5/20 with cardiac arrest. My weight starting was 339lbs. I am now 316 ( yes 23lbs in a month is a lot, I had a stomach bug for a week so no appetite) MFP started me at 1600 calories, and then after the first 10 lbs lost changed it to 1530. My dr has me at 2000mg of sodium or less. I have struggled with eating enough calories, many days hitting between 650 and 900. I know, NOT GOOD. I eat but I don't eat high-calorie food. I am also diabetic so have to watch carbs and with the heart attack have to watch cholesterol. It is a lot to watch. I eat enough that I'm not hungry but the calories don't equal enough. I was just the hospital this past weekend (Thursday to Monday) for a kidney infection and BP med adjustment. on top of all that I have anxiety brought on by worrying about meeting my nutrition goals for the day. Basically I am a mess! I struggle daily. I do the best I can and sometimes just feel like its not enough. my dr in the hospital suggested Glycerna shakes/drinks for the protein and calories and help with sugar control. So far (3 days now) it seems to be ok. I look forward to food ideas, encouragement, and overall just a place that I can write my days highs or lows without criticism.

Hi @southernskeeter Cindy,

Welcome to LL.

I am a little behind in my welcoming. It has been a busy week so I am going to do my best to catch up.

It is quite common to lose more in the first month and the danger of losing more is less over a shorter amount of time. It is only if it is a prolonged highly aggressive loss that causes the bad problems. I would even have to think that in your situation some rapid loss might be beneficial.

You know you need to get your calories up so that will make all the difference in getting there. You will have to keep trying to put together better and better days until you have a new system worked out that does well for you. To aid you, you should see a registered dietitian. They have far better nutrition training than doctors.

The hope is that with continued weight loss your health will stabilize and improve and open up additional food choices for you.

Please post whatever you like as you feel the need. You won't get critiqued here unless what you are doing is self sabotaging and even then we try not to judge but to nudge you back in the right direction. We understand that perfections is not possible for any of us and that we all struggle against old habits and unhelpful notions. We just want to try and do better more days than we don't.
  • deafenbaugh
    deafenbaugh Posts: 39 Member
    Hello to the new and old. Excited that we have a good group. The support is great. I don't post often but read almost every day. Look forward to following you all.
    Luann
  • conniewilkins56
    Hello to the new and old. Excited that we have a good group. The support is great. I don't post often but read almost every day. Look forward to following you all.
    Luann

Would love to hear more from you!...yes,this is an amazing group and so supportive...if you are struggling or have questions, someone in this group will guide you or find answers!
  • rieraclaelin
    rieraclaelin Posts: 115 Member
    Hello all! My name is Jessie and I'm looking forward to meeting new people in this group!

I am 37, been happily married for 11 years, and a mom to 5 fur babies. (Dog named Loki, then four cats named Boo, Charlie, Fern and Rolo, aka Bean)

I went to the doctor back in June of this year because of pain in my stomach, and was diagnosed with severe fatty liver (non alcoholic). It's been a kind of scary past week or so as more tests were run, I was convinced I had cirrhosis because of the results of a fibroscan, but my liver doctor is pretty positive it's actually still only in the fatty liver stage.

But, when I was first diagnosed, I weighed 380 pounds. Since then, thanks to dieting and exercise, I am now down to 356 pounds! Only about 185 more pounds to go... :P (I'm 5'9")

I am also a type ii diabetic, but I've managed to get my sugars well under control and am hoping that I can eventually be taken off my medication as I lose more weight.

But so far I've been having a mostly decent experience with dieting, once I realized how logging worked. And I can definitely tell a difference in clothes now, and I can technically squeeze into a size smaller jeans, but I'm gonna give it another ten pounds or so!
  • FrecklePatch
    FrecklePatch Posts: 71 Member
    welcome freckle patch, jin-rummy and 28Haveitall2020 glad to see you in the group

Thank you! :)
  • ly2sing
    ly2sing Posts: 12 Member
    Hi, I’m Carrie. Am embarrassed to say my weight; let’s just say I’ve got more than 100 pounds to lose. It’s really gotten out of hand; deal with foot pain, both feet. Need to lose! Going to start counting and tracking calories; that’s all there is to it!
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    edited August 2020
    ly2sing wrote: »
    Hi, I’m Carrie. Am embarrassed to say my weight; let’s just say I’ve got more than 100 pounds to lose. It’s really gotten out of hand; deal with foot pain, both feet. Need to lose! Going to start counting and tracking calories; that’s all there is to it!

Another few pounds and I'll have only a hundred pounds left to lose, so you are not the only one. Nor the only one with foot pain and a weightbearing budget; I was in a car wreck in my twenties and they put my foot back together with pins and screws, and yep, now that I'm in my forties both midfoot areas are arthritic. (Plus the developing bunions my dad passed on to me, and my mother's Morton's foot. And ankles that have been sprained a lot and have arthritis in them now too.)

It is possible to do it even if you mostly just have to count calories; I've lost 40 pounds this year, and I've been able to walk for the pleasure of being outside a couple evenings this week, and I never in a million years thought that was a possibility for me.

• conniewilkins56
    Welcome to the new Larger Losers Group!...join in any conversations or posts....no one ever shames or judges you....it’s a great place to share comments and a place to get motivation and support....I have been a member for 15 months and have lost 90 lbs!...others have lost less or much more weight than I have...but we are all looking to get thinner and healthier!...I still have more to lose but I plan on losing it with the help of this group...

I hope all of you stick around and reach your goals!