This October I Will ...

Options

Replies

• MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,987 Member
    Options
    @texasgardnr I am glad you took a look at the photos. I think it is important to hear other opinions. And funny you chose 2 like me. Thank you for your comments. <3 I think this month the habit of favoriting them on my Mac will move over perhaps to next month of actually filing some of them in their folders. I have those set up but am bad about filing. sigh. It is impressive to me that more and more there are better ways to find photos when you want to. By date, location, subject, title (not that we rename them anymore) etc... I am so glad we no longer have to "scan" them to digitalize them.

@77tes dang I was hoping for a picture of the outfit from the ball. What a great idea that was!!!!!! And I hope that the evaluation goes smoothly. I had a new boss this year for my eval and she did not really know crap about me but it was all ok..

How is everyone doing this morning.

@MadisonMolly2017 who is SUPPOSED TO BE RUNNING this place claims she does not have enough time because of all the classes she is doing... LOL.. I think she could take 5 minutes? We have some missing members who might need her gentle encouragement (so much better at that then me - I am more a hammer vs cookie)

@SummerSkier
    Haha! Here I am!
    I survived a DMV visit this AM & renewed my drivers license prior to receiving renewal notice before COVID & the fly get worse/hit! Mission Accomplished!!

The classes I’m taking are free but time limited. But I broke through the bulk of them. Two are subscriptionS that I’m busy watching the lessons & taking notes so I can save $27 & $19 a month!!!

Anyhow, my news...Loved the convo you guys had about new habits & retaining the previous THATs why myList is long!

My other news: I’ve had a HUGE Ah-ha due to daily reflecting/journaling on my art & creative process (TY @nebslp & others) ...

In case it helps, here’s the short version that works for all things that are not working for you...
    Source: Brooke Castillo YouTube & her podcast #26 on TheLifeCoachSchool,com.
    Also Stephanie Lee for the approach tailored to creatives...

Circumstance (Fact)
    Thought - 1 sentence
    Feeling - 1 word
    Action (Behavior)
    Results (results provide evidence for thought)

Posting #1 so MFP doesn’t lose this
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Post #2
    1. Circumstances are neutral ie

Ex: I stopped working on my art piece.

2. Thoughts are subjective, judgmental, opinions

Ex: I’m can’t decide which of my approaches to implement.

3. Feeling

Ex: indecisive/confused

4 Action

Ex: Kept coming up with more & more ideas & feeling more stuck, inaction

5. Result

Ex: no forward motion on piece.
    Tempted to stop & move to another

(Which reinforces Thought in 2 above!!)

SO, she then suggests “What do I do when feeling Confused/Overwhelmed
    That’s when I realized I generate lots of ideas & go glacially slowly (fear of making a mistake)

So then you ask are you ok feeling confused & going slowly or giving up on projects?

No.

So you change the thought (gradually over time like our other habits...)

So changed my thought to:
    I am an idea generator, and I CAN transition to focused action so as to LEARN, spend more time in FLOW/JOY, and create things that enrich the lives of others (as opposed to just mine.)

I now recognize that generating too many ideas can lead to confusion/inaction.

My final new Thought:
    I will generate ideas, but when I feel the tightening & stress, I will STOP & take an ACTION to learn & bring joy to me & others.

So here’s the really i retesting part...

I did the same thing with my novel. Every time I got stuck, I wrote another scene, new characters would pop up, new storylines. I finally declared TOO MUCH as I couldn’t even hold it all in my mind.

This is a HUGE ah ha. I did it with the branching out of all the art media too.

It happened once on my weight Loss journey & once on maintenance. One was about goal wt...totally over thought/stressed that one. Decided to have my Dr. set it! Problem solved. Second time was last Xmas as scale kept going up- finally showed hubby all the calories in & out & he said eat 2,000. Instant action & no more worrying, stressing,fear.

So after doing the above, I went to the project. Cut up pieces of fabric that I cannot replace. Pinned them to the background/frame which I finished last night. And had a truly lovely time.

THE ABILITY to COACH OURSELVES!!!
    Amazing possibilities!

She does the same for Overeating, looks like.

Mine 5 years ago looked like this:

C Overweight (actually Obese)
    T. I’m never going to be able to keep the weight off. I always regain.
    F. Hopeless
    A. Eat out, cover my body, move into my intellect more (to feel better)
    5. Stayed heavy or gained.
    (WHICH reinforced my THOUGHT #2)

Now:
    C Normal weight
    T I can maintain my weight.
    F Cautiously Optimistic, healthy, proud
    A Restrict overeating/exercise daily/post on here :)
    R Maintaining - and considering losing a bit more

I hope this makes sense.

Our thoughts create our feelings, it turns out. Not the other way around.

People often Confuse Circumstance & Thought. Circumstance is FACT. Thought is our twist on it. An important distinction.

For example
    C I have a friend who is heavy..
    T Her thought: I’m not going to let society dictate my weight
    F Says she feels great confident
    A posts a lot of photos of herself & Eats a lot of high calorie foods Has a lot of very obese friends.
    R health issues & tons of friends who agree with her

Which ties to her thought

C is same as mine was but you can see A different path as you go down the line.

💞💞
    Maddie
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    My goals are all going well.

I hope yours are too!

Back to my piece ❣️
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,648 Member
    Options
    Hello! What a first week in October this has been for so many reasons :o:# I've been thinking abour you all and wondering how things are going. Especially @goinape because I'm so curious to hear what you have come up to work on in October. I think most of us here started with one tiny goal when the group started. Gradually all those little goals grew into more little goals and now some of us have quite a list. I keep tracking my long list because it helps me to maintain rather than go back to my old ways.

@PKM0515 How's it going there? Is your coloring book page getting filled in one day at a time? Was it you that wasn't sure about posting pictures? Someone here could probably help with that if you need help...maybe even me even though I do have frequent technological difficulties. I think it's related to connection problems in my brain and I am running out of memory space.

@rhaiin One week down. Were you able to get 3 days of walking in? If your weather is as nice as ours has been, I'm sure you could really enjoy it.

@znaoiec I'm sure you're going through a lot emotionally right now so a few extra minutes of exercise every day might be really helpful. I know I always feel better when I get outside and walk. So why don't I do it more often?!? I hope you were able to.

@jrsepe12 How are you doing? Are you still going to lunch time walks with your co-worker? That could become a habit, if you know what I mean! I've not heard about the Daniel Fast plan but will check it out.

@texasgardnr Thank you for your special hugs <3 I laughed when I read about your 100 second dash to bed (LOL) because I can relate to trying to beat the clock. It's probably not the best way to relax before going to sleep though :p

@77tes How did the evaluation go? I can't imagine being evaluated on something you're basically still learning how to do. I guess it's kinda like that first year teacher feeling, huh?! Did your husband get to be your dance partner? We need pictures of you in that ball gown!!

@MadisonMolly2017 How are you doing? I've been doing a lot of reading about the benefits of visualizations. May be a November idea for me. Hope all is well <3

@SummerSkier Well, you finally lost - uh, I mean ran out of your marbles. What is the plan now? Maybe you could celebrate and treat yourself with something new like a new pair of Halloween socks or something equally fun. And then start putting the marbles back the other way. Just a thought. On achy muscles, that always happens to me if I jump in and do something quick. My body just likes to ease into exercise with a little warm up and I've found cool down is just as important. Hope the back is all well now.

I'm doing a little better. Sleep average this week is almost 5 hours. I wake up super early (like around 3 or 4) feeling like I've had 8 hours so I just get up. Along about 11AM I feel compelled to lie down for 10-30 minutes. Today it was an hour, and then I can function all day. So far my fears haven't come to pass so I think I may relax soon. I hate this COVID thing. I am so tempted to make a catty remark about the comment someone in authority made this week but I'll play nice this time. Wishing you all good health!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,772 Member
    Options
    My evaluation went great. It was the easiest ever. I always get nervous when I’m evaluated in the classroom because I worry that a student will act up, but my online class is pretty well-organized.

Yay! 🎉 Maybe it will be my last (we are evaluated every 2 years), and I might be retired by fall 2022.
  • nebslp
    Options
    So...how did I miss the @MadisonMolly2017 posts that were directly before mine??! They describe my life perfectly! I used to listen to Brooke Castillo's podcasts but there are so many other things to listen to that got in the way and I stopped. I have jotted down the 5 points and will ponder them today. That's me! Too many things to do, so excited, feeling confused, circular behavior, and less forward movement than I care to admit to myself. My son told me once that I should focus on one thing one day, and another one the next, but I love everything equally and want to learn as much as I can, every day. I think there's a little bit of panic in me that I'm not getting any younger and time is finite. Thank you @MadisonMolly2017 for a tool that might help me find clarity so I can move forward on some things. The waters are pretty muddy right now on how I will achieve all that I want to. And a HUGE congratulations on cutting up that special fabric! :) That takes courage, I know. Will we get to see the results?

@77tes I'm glad the evaluation went well. I'm not surprised though :) Retirement daydreaming is fun. As much as I loved my work with children, I had always dreamed of having more time to do all the other things that I put on the back burner when I was working.

Have a great day to everyone out there. Hope to hear from you all soon!
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,796 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Some great thoughts ladies @nebslp and @MadisonMolly2017 ! I tend not to get overwhelmed with too many ideas - must be the engr.mathmatician side of me altho I know there is a artistic side somewhere which I haven't tapped into much since a child. My big thing about tasks is always breaking it down into small enough bites that I actually GET started. Once I start I usually do more than expected. But that's how my brain works. I do have running conversations sometimes and I could see how an artistic bent person could overwhelm themselves to a standstill with a lot of ideas. But I do need to reread your posts a few more times to fully let them sink in.

@77tes well done on the last evaluation!!! :)

@texasgardnr what herbal supplements have you added?

As far as the marbles well I ordered another 300 from amazon. LOL... I am using the few in the bad jar until those arrive but I also have to start a new goblet!!! I am totally enjoying Oct so far and being able to add my runs in routinely has definitely improved my outlook as well as fantastic weather. Today on my walk I decided to take a collage of flowers. 2 marbles to whoever can name all of them correctly and 5 marbles to whoever can pick which 10 are from my yard (as opposed to on my walk)

Oct I wills going well so far 1 week in.

SummerinFallbrighteninguptheboardtoday

upv6wvzu02q4.png

• nebslp
    Options
    Hmmm... I’ll play. 1. Bourganvia? I slaughtered that spelling! 2. Zinnia? 3.morning glory In your yard. 4.and 5. Snapdragons. 6. Must be a Texas flower. 7. Angels trumpet? 9. Petunia 10 - end. ??? Maybe a primrose in there. Now I have more reason to visit Texas. I’ve been there 3 times to go birding and SO enjoyed the bluebonnets ad other flowers along the roads.
  • nebslp
    Options
    Here’s my tracker so far. That photo organization and exercise need some focus in week 2, but I’m happy with the decluttering I’ve been doing. Even 10 minutes at a time makes a difference for my peace of mind. Gotta keep moving forward!
    0jdydfmaiblh.jpeg
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Omg
    Just posted long messages to @nebslp & @summerskier & lost the message as I was scrolling back to see the next flower :(((((

Will see if I can do it again later 😢
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    @nebslp wow you are tough on yourself! 1300 steps by 12:30 doesn't get colored in??!!!! :p I think you should pretend dst ended and give it a purple!!! (great tracker tho@)
    like @77tes I will have to grade your test:

1. Bourganvia? I slaughtered that spelling! 2. Zinnia? 3.morning glory In your yard. 4.and 5. Snapdragons. 6. Must be a Texas flower. 7. Angels trumpet? 9. Petunia 10 - end. ??? Maybe a primrose in there.

15 pictures. 1x 2x 3+ 4+ 5+ 6x 7x 8x 9+ 10-15x so 10 wrong out of 15.. hmmm I think that's a failure.
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 I think that means you got a worse score than @nebslp Nebraska!!! LOL... >:)o:) I know @texasgardnr will get a 100% so don't look at her answers if you try again...

I saw these beautiful specimens on my run this morning and had to extend my walk to go get a photo in the sun! They deserve their own picture I think. <3

fipcfd6xbwem.png

• 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,772 Member
    Options
    I’ll play @SummerSkier

#1 is hibiscus (I’ve got a red one right outside my front door- it attracts hummingbirds) 😍
    #2 is a red flower (I’ve learned from many years teaching to give a vague answer and then argue bitterly for its correctness. I think it’s a zinnia
    #3 is a Morning Glory
    #4 snapdragon
    #5 ?
    #6 bougainvillea
    #7 ?
    #8?
    #9 day lily
    # 10?
    #11 roses

That’s all I have. Back to grading essays.
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    @77tes here I am grading papers again!!! o:)

1+ 2x 3+4+ 5x 6+ 7x 8x 9x 10x 11+ 12-15x So 5 of 15... wow.. This is fun. I would have thought CA peeps would do better.

Here is one from yesterday which caught my eye and it turns out it is a Christmas Bush!!! LOL.. I was like all "aren't you rushing the season!!??? little bush!!!" and then I was sad because I thought of the beautiful magnificent Xmas Cactuses my parents always had. :( and I got teary missing them.

w7c93u44nczy.png
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    And @MadisonMolly2017 this is really important stuff so I am wanting to bring it to the front again

F. Hopeless

Now:
    C Normal weight
    A Restrict overeating/exercise daily/post on here:)

I hope this makes sense.

People often Confuse Circumstance & Thought. Circumstance is FACT. Thought is our twist on it. An important distinction.

For example
    A posts a lot of photos of herself & Eats a lot of high calorie foods Has a lot of very obese friends.

So do you think your friends more honest thoughts might be closer to what yours were when you were obese? As a yo yo er myself I get your feelings totally and altho never obese each time we yo up it's a lot more fat so it's worse than the previous yo. I did not have the exact thoughts as you but I did find that I tended to lose myself in my intellect also and turn a blind eye to the physical.

So thank you for sharing these gems and pearls!!!!!!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Some great thoughts ladies @nebslp and @MadisonMolly2017 ! I tend not to get overwhelmed with too many ideas - must be the engr.mathmatician side of me altho I know there is a artistic side somewhere which I haven't tapped into much since a child. My big thing about tasks is always breaking it down into small enough bites that I actually GET started. Once I start I usually do more than expected. But that's how my brain works. I do have running conversations sometimes and I could see how an artistic bent person could overwhelm themselves to a standstill with a lot of ideas. But I do need to reread your posts a few more times to fully let them sink in.

@77tes well done on the last evaluation!!! :)

@texasgardnr what herbal supplements have you added?

As far as the marbles well I ordered another 300 from amazon. LOL... I am using the few in the bad jar until those arrive but I also have to start a new goblet!!! I am totally enjoying Oct so far and being able to add my runs in routinely has definitely improved my outlook as well as fantastic weather. Today on my walk I decided to take a collage of flowers. 2 marbles to whoever can name all of them correctly and 5 marbles to whoever can pick which 10 are from my yard (as opposed to on my walk)

Oct I wills going well so far 1 week in.

SummerinFallbrighteninguptheboardtoday

upv6wvzu02q4.png

1 hibiscus
    2 zinnia
    3 honeysuckle
    4iris, but can’t enlarge photo- likely it’s not
    5 -
    6 orchid , sweet pea, bleeding hear??
    7 Lily family
    8 petunia
    9 PaSSION Flower❤️❤️❤️❤️
    11 Rose
    12 thistle
    13 clematis
    14 Morning glory
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @SummerSkier
    I’m an engineer/math/sci & creative artist/writer
    LOL
    Dad + Mom
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    And @MadisonMolly2017 this is really important stuff so I am wanting to bring it to the front again

F. Hopeless

Now:
    C Normal weight
    A Restrict overeating/exercise daily/post on here:)

I hope this makes sense.

For example

So do you think your friends more honest thoughts might be closer to what yours were when you were obese? As a yo yo er myself I get your feelings totally and altho never obese each time we yo up it's a lot more fat so it's worse than the previous yo. I did not have the exact thoughts as you but I did find that I tended to lose myself in my intellect also and turn a blind eye to the physical.

So thank you for sharing these gems and pearls!!!!!!

You’re welcome!
    Nope I was totally different than the friend. I added that to show how same circumstance can have very different flow !

This system works for any tough feelings or thoughts or Actions or results you want to change. Truly Life-changing.

We can control our thoughts & this our feelings which dictate our actions —-> results!

My primary thoughts re: weight... I’m Never Dieting Again—> feel motivated-> eat well & exercise, keep stress low & sleep —> maintain

About health...Health First.—> the above + macros, exercise daily —> great labs

I’m working on my Art Thoughts...
    Tentatively... I’m someone who creates original art by playing Actively with materials & dreaming up new ideas until I get the “Ooooh...that’s it!” I no longer tell myself I’m working too slowly or generate ideas to confuse myself, leading to give up. I pay attention & if I sense I’m tightening, I actively shift to play mode!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    czvguefszwwu.jpeg
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @nebslp I might share - not sure yet, but I sure appreciate your asking! I haven’t been sharing work for a while now as I got to wrapped up in likes etc. on social media. Once I’m more solid, I will. I gave myself 3 years from 1/1/19 😃