This October I Will ...

Options

Replies

• SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,795 Member
    Options
    @nebslp I might share - not sure yet, but I sure appreciate your asking! I haven’t been sharing work for a while now as I got to wrapped up in likes etc. on social media. Once I’m more solid, I will. I gave myself 3 years from 1/1/19 😃

Oh your art sounds very unique.... And I totally understand your reluctance to share. I take photos mostly because I want to capture and share the beauty and magnificence I see all around me in nature and animals. I don't do a lot of people shots. ;)

Is that your tracker this month? You really REALLY look like you have that protein under control... DO you feel better?

Ok the quiz is over. Here are the answers in case you were wondering...

uzq9mjs3zx6n.png

• jrsepe12
    jrsepe12 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Goals

1. This October I will...continue to develop better/healthier eating habits and exercise at least 3 times a week.
    2. The small actions: Doing the Daniel Fast this month trying to jump start better habits...so far so good.
    3. The trigger or cue: Everyday is a gift and must take care of body and soul.
    4. How often will you do your new habit: eating healthy-daily, exercise-3 times a week
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself: new book and time in a bubble bath!
    6. What help do you need from us? Need more friends to keep me accountable....just checking in and seeing everyone’s goals and accomplishments help.
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of October? Feeling stronger with more energy would be great and of course some weight loss would be nice.
    Happy October....looking forward to some cooler weather.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,987 Member
    Options
    jrsepe12 wrote: »
    Goals

1. This October I will...continue to develop better/healthier eating habits and exercise at least 3 times a week.
    2. The small actions: Doing the Daniel Fast this month trying to jump start better habits...so far so good.
    3. The trigger or cue: Everyday is a gift and must take care of body and soul.
    4. How often will you do your new habit: eating healthy-daily, exercise-3 times a week
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself: new book and time in a bubble bath!
    6. What help do you need from us? Need more friends to keep me accountable....just checking in and seeing everyone’s goals and accomplishments help.
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of October? Feeling stronger with more energy would be great and of course some weight loss would be nice.
    Happy October....looking forward to some cooler weather.

Yay @jrsepe12 !!! So good to heat things are going well❣️❣️

Yes, nice to know we aren’t the only one changing our habits!!

Keep us posted as you are able!

Best,
    Maddie
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,648 Member
    Options
    @jrsepe12 Those are really important goals. And I LoVe the cue you posted. Absolutely!!!
    Keep us posted on how things are going.

Today here in NE it's in the upper 80's but I won't complain because I know what will come in another month or two (brrrr!!) The leaves are turning so many pretty shades of yellow so I know it's fall even though it doesn't feel like it.

I had a weird day today. Funny how when it starts off OFF, it just feels off all day! I slept later than planned, then had to run to go do some porch sitting with a few friends and a dog. So I totally forgot to get my steps in this morning since I didn't get home until after noon. I did work on my granddaughter's costume so that counts as my creative endeavor for today. Then I printed off some worksheets from my French teacher and I might just count that as my French for today. I have been tracking my macros today. I always come up short on protein compared to fat and carbs so I bought Live Well Collagen Peptide powder to get a little boost without knowing it. I put a scoop in my coffee this afternoon and there is no taste or after-taste so win-win! I am so exhausted after 3 weeks of not sleeping well and since I'm not so worried now hopefully I'll feel better tomorrow and get more accomplished. But the bottom line is this:
    I didn't plan my day first thing in the morning and I really think that's what threw everything off. I got an email from James Clear today that said, "Do the most important thing first each day and you'll never have an unproductive day." For me, that means make a plan and TRY to check off as many things as I can.

Have a great weekend and stay safe!
  • goingape
    goingape Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Back with my habit for October.

1. My goal for this month (This October I will...") - I will enter / write in my journal each day
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal - have my items for journaling next to my bed.
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit - once I’m in bed I will take a minute to write in my journal.
    4. How often will you do your new habit (daily is best if possible) - daily!
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? (Small positive feedbacks reinforce the habit you are trying to build.) using my cute stickers to decorate my entry.
    6. What help do you need from us? Encouragement ! Pictures of your journals ! Ideas to share on journaling!
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of October? - the whole month is full!!!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @goingape
    Sounds perfect!

I don’t know if you like to sketch, but if not, perhaps this idea (not mine) below can be adapted to writing!

I’ve been “reflecting” on my art & art process daily & wow! I’m sold in this. I spent quite awhile today looking back and re-reading...and saw even
    More connections & got more insights!

Love your sticker idea!

Enjoy!
    Maddie

1x72cjnkegv4.png
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    Hi, All,

I'm not doing well with my tracking, but I'm doing well with my goal of actually TAKING my medicine.

Hope everyone has a great weekend! 🌞
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    Good Morning and happy Oct 10.

Great to see everyone checking in. I had a lightbulb moment yesterday as I was working on my planner. Sat was empty. Nothing on the schedule. And it actually was kind of nice! So altho I really do enjoy checking off the things I intended to do each day, it's also pretty nice to just have a totally free "rest" day.

SummerinFallinTx

and just to keep the page bright and colorful as Maddie as started (WOW! Love those baby sketches!!!!!! )

10qam5xr077b.png
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    PKM0515 wrote: »
    Hi, All,

I'm not doing well with my tracking, but I'm doing well with my goal of actually TAKING my medicine.

Hope everyone has a great weekend! 🌞

@PKM0515 Terrific progress on the meds!!!

Maybe start trying easy methods to track?

Can you simplify the tracking?

Put a sticky note on the med bottle ...
    with a small pencil secured with rubber band?

Get a page of sticky dots ...
    place one on The bottle each time you take the meds

Make a page of small circles ...
    Draw a big check mark each time you take

List numbers 1-31 doe a strip of paper ... cross out or tear off the ones that you take your meds

Think Simple & Kinda Fun!!

Best,
    Maddie ❤️
  • nebslp
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Hi! @goingape I don't have any journaling tips, but I have been researching different ways to journal. I ran across bullet journaling and that gave me an idea of how to create a new daily planner. I'll look for the website of one that was really cool and let you know. I think your sticker idea sounds fun and a good reward besides. I use notebooks, spiral or 3-ring binders to keep thoughts and notes on lots of things, but don't have one daily journal dedicated to daily thoughts and events. I've strived to do that all my life because my sister did it when I was little and I was always so jealous. She was so consistent and I was more of the honeybee flitting from one flower to the next. Some things never change (eye roll).

@PKM0515 Congrats to you for keeping up with the meds. I think some people just don't need a tracker, especially when you are focusing on one important goal. And if you do feel you need one, @MadisonMolly2017 has some great ideas. I only use a tracker because if I didn't have a reminder of all the things goals I've accumulated here over the past year or so, I might do some major backsliding. Do what works best for you!

Gotta go move the hose and I'll be back later :)B)
  • nebslp
    Options
    @SummerSkier What are your plans for those gorgeous photos? They are print worthy. The red yucca jumped out at me first followed by the zinnia, aster, well, all of them actually!
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 and @nebslp, thank you for your welcome suggestions! I love stickers, and I have these tiny smiley face stickers. I think I'll just add one to my kitchen calendar when I take my evening med. The calendar and meds are very close to each other in the kitchen.

• nebslp
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 Your tracker seems to be working well for you. Right on target with so many things :) I don't share much of what I make with others either except for the recipients, but will be doing that when I open my shop and that's the scariest part of opening it along with having no clue how to do the setup even after studying and planning for years. I also want to offer photographs to sell. It's SO hard to accept that my work is worthy of selling when there are so many more talented people out there. But they started somewhere, and so will I. Gotta get a little more gutsy in my "old" age :D

@goingape the website I was looking for is jennyspapercrafts at youtube. Her journals are SO elaborate and involve watercolor paints and would take lots of time and way more artistic talent than is in my possesion. I just took a few ideas and made them into something that I can handle, but it's always fun to get new ideas and turn them into something that's all your own. Have fun!
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    @SummerSkier What are your plans for those gorgeous photos? They are print worthy. The red yucca jumped out at me first followed by the zinnia, aster, well, all of them actually!

I just share the photos so everyone can enjoy the beauty. ;)

@PKM0515 I agree that not everyone needs a tracker. Sometimes just having one thing to focus on for the month and working on that is best. Glad you are getting the meds in!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @PKM0515
    Okay, sounds like I’ve been over-ruled re: the tracker.

Here’s why I was gently encouraging to track simply in a fun way. I remember your opening post where you had other goals you want to accomplish, but wanted to focus on meds. Great! Since things are going so well for you, I thought a simply, fun tracker would get you in the routine for when you feel like adding another small habit!

I have found tracking - simply - keeps me very on top of things. Every other time I lost weight I gained it back because “it slipped my Mind” And I’ve seen many others in MFP say the same...you get busy & you’re up 30, or in my case 50-70 lbs.

SO, the Real habits I have mastered.
    1) Self-Honesty with myself.
    [Honest tracking & weighing of food. Honesty that obesity is a “chronic relapsing disease.” Honesty that my emotions can lead me to eat, (but can be managed). Honesty to take action if my weight goes up.]
    2) Daily Exercise Tracking
    3) Daily weight tracking
    4) Daily tracking of food.

So the Real Habit I’ve mastered, having said all of above, is Identifying a Habit I need/want to master & then tracking it daily until it is automatic OR until I invent a better solution which I then track.

I’m doing all I can to not have my health “slip my Mind again.”

Trackers do that for me - online or on paper.

❤️ Sticker on calendar is a PERFECT solution! ❤️
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    Oh dear, @MadisonMolly2017 my intent wasn't to overrule anything. Many of the "ole"timers here use trackers, and I think they are beautiful and work well. I failed pretty much my first month not because I didn't fill it out but because I was just putting a whole bunch of busy work into "tracking" things which i was already doing. So my thoughts were that for these monthly threads the guidelines (and esp for new folks like me!) were to try to follow the 7 steps below. I am still not convinced that "for me" a tracker is the way to go. But for others it may work fabulously!

If you are new to our group, welcome! Please let us know what you will be working on and how we can help! Just a suggestion: set a reminder to check-in periodically with us. Check-in daily, weekly, or as often as works for you, but let us know how you are progressing! We're here to support and encourage you, but if you don't post, we can't cheer you on!

You might frame your goal along these lines:

1. My goal for this month (This October I will...")
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit
    4. How often will you do your new habit (daily is best if possible)
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? (Small positive feedbacks reinforce the habit you are trying to build.)
    6. What help do you need from us?
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of October?
  • goingape
    goingape Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your feedback!! Looking forward to filling out my journal tonight. Cheers everyone!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @SummerSkier
    I know we both agree that there are an infinite number of ways to be successful at this weight loss & maintenance game! I figure we can share what works for us, as I did - and you did - and others have - as suggestions to try or ignore or as triggers for folks’ new ideas (which I hope they will share with me!)

❤️
  • nebslp
    Options
    I welcome any and all suggestions. I’ve learned so much from reading them, then deciding what fits for my personality and lifestyle, so keep them coming🙂please.

Maybe this is more of a decluttering topic but I’m excited that I have two more physical books in the GW bag! I’m slowly but surely whittling them down. Next up are “Leave Her to Heaven” and “Intuitive Eating”. I also have a couple books on my IPad and one from a neighbor to read yet. So many books...not enough time😞
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    I welcome any and all suggestions. I’ve learned so much from reading them, then deciding what fits for my personality and lifestyle, so keep them coming🙂please.

Maybe this is more of a decluttering topic but I’m excited that I have two more physical books in the GW bag! I’m slowly but surely whittling them down. Next up are “Leave Her to Heaven” and “Intuitive Eating”. I also have a couple books on my IPad and one from a neighbor to read yet. So many books...not enough time😞

@nebslp You’ve been consistently working through those books! Bravo!

I’ll be very interested in what your “take” is on “Intuitive Eating!”