Share Your Day

Options

Replies

• AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options

Tomorrow is going to be tough and I'm just going to have to accept I'm going to be over. It's dad's birthday so mom is fixing dinner, and being dad's favorites it will be stuffed peppers, mashed potatoes, some other vegetable, and who knows what else. On top of that, a friend always brings him a pineapple upside cake for his birthday, and she don't even try to lower the calorie count. I'm going to have to completely opt out of that. Dinner will be bad enough; I know I won't be able to hold onto 500+ calories for a slice of cake!

Can you package it up and bring it home with you and eat it in two portions over two days? I'd have trouble finding 500 extra calories, myself, but I could probably find 250 if I worked at it, and that way I could have it.

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,640 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is going to be tough and I'm just going to have to accept I'm going to be over. It's dad's birthday so mom is fixing dinner, and being dad's favorites it will be stuffed peppers, mashed potatoes, some other vegetable, and who knows what else. On top of that, a friend always brings him a pineapple upside cake for his birthday, and she don't even try to lower the calorie count. I'm going to have to completely opt out of that. Dinner will be bad enough; I know I won't be able to hold onto 500+ calories for a slice of cake!

During this journey I've been on - I've kind of made family birthday's an exception to strict calorie control. Reasonable portions of whatever is going - including cake - has been my deal with myself. I figure I'll being doing this weight loss thing for awhile and worrying more about my calorie consumption than celebrating would make me feel deprived. I have maybe ten family members I celebrate with (including a few friends who have become family)...I figure my weight loss world isn't going to come to an end if I enjoy their birthday dinners with them. Even if I eat 1000 calories over - that is only 3 lbs worth of extra calories in the year and I have 355 days to balance that out.

Amazing how I can use math to my advantage!

I hope you have a good time with your family tomorrow.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options

Can you package it up and bring it home with you and eat it in two portions over two days? I'd have trouble finding 500 extra calories, myself, but I could probably find 250 if I worked at it, and that way I could have it.

@AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Unfortunately, no. I've been struggling so much lately that I won't be able to keep it in the house - even if I cut a piece in half and tried to keep the other half, it wouldn't last as my brain would know it was in there and my willpower is very low these days. Better to just not have it at all.

During this journey I've been on - I've kind of made family birthday's an exception to strict calorie control. Reasonable portions of whatever is going - including cake - has been my deal with myself. I figure I'll being doing this weight loss thing for awhile and worrying more about my calorie consumption than celebrating would make me feel deprived. I have maybe ten family members I celebrate with (including a few friends who have become family)...I figure my weight loss world isn't going to come to an end if I enjoy their birthday dinners with them. Even if I eat 1000 calories over - that is only 3 lbs worth of extra calories in the year and I have 355 days to balance that out.

Amazing how I can use math to my advantage!

I hope you have a good time with your family tomorrow.

@lauriekallis

Normally, I would do the same and not worry too much about it, but I've been on a terrible slide the last 2 months struggling to even stay at maintenance levels. I've finally noticed a slow down in the regain trend this week and better control this week, so I can't afford to let my guard down just yet.

So I will try to keep the eating to a minimum today to save what I can for this evening, enjoy dinner, and stay out of the cake!
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    Options

@AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Unfortunately, no. I've been struggling so much lately that I won't be able to keep it in the house - even if I cut a piece in half and tried to keep the other half, it wouldn't last as my brain would know it was in there and my willpower is very low these days. Better to just not have it at all.

Yeah, I know that feeling! Could you put it in the freezer for later? Usually when I crave it, I end up being too lazy to wait for it to thaw and be edible, so it stays in the freezer until I plan to eat it.
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    sometimes the freezer idea works but sometimes it doesn't - I unfortunately own a microwave lol
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I have come to the realization that the closer I get to my goal the less motivated I am. I am less than 20lbs from where I need to be and I just can’t get my behind in gear. I’m skipping workouts and eating things before checking calories (hello Newks chicken bacon ranch sandwich that came in at 1030 calories!!) I took a little diet break a few weeks ago and have really just struggled to get back to doing what I need to do. Maybe it’s the cold, or the rain, or the upcoming holiday food fest that I know is happening. I just need to get my butt back at it. 18lbs is nothing when I think of where I started.

Maybe I should have posted in the doom and gloom lol.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    I can consume frozen brownies, cookies, or cake......I have eaten bisquit mixed with water on a true binge....I never tried dried oats but would be good mixed with peanut butter....like a true addict, it is easier for me to say no....if I was an alcoholic I would not have one drink to celebrate!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    gewel321 wrote: »
    I have come to the realization that the closer I get to my goal the less motivated I am. I am less than 20lbs from where I need to be and I just can’t get my behind in gear. I’m skipping workouts and eating things before checking calories (hello Newks chicken bacon ranch sandwich that came in at 1030 calories!!) I took a little diet break a few weeks ago and have really just struggled to get back to doing what I need to do. Maybe it’s the cold, or the rain, or the upcoming holiday food fest that I know is happening. I just need to get my butt back at it. 18lbs is nothing when I think of where I started.

Maybe I should have posted in the doom and gloom lol.

When I am on a really good streak like I am right now is when it’s the easiest for me to blow it!...my brain tells me it’s ok because I have lost so much and been so good!...I hear you!
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,640 Member
    Options
    I can consume frozen brownies, cookies, or cake......I have eaten bisquit mixed with water on a true binge....I never tried dried oats but would be good mixed with peanut butter....like a true addict, it is easier for me to say no....if I was an alcoholic I would not have one drink to celebrate!

I get that - I think I've even grown to prefer frozen baked goods...lol.
    And I understand your reluctance to open up that door. Sometime it is crazy hard to close it again.
  • bobsburgersfan
    bobsburgersfan Posts: 6,317 Member
    Options
    gewel321 wrote: »
    I have come to the realization that the closer I get to my goal the less motivated I am.
    I have been wondering if this is part of my long plateau this year (among other things). Although I'm nowhere close to my goal, I got below 265 which was a big milestone for me, and then down into the 250s. Both are lower than I've ever weighed as an adult, and a few years ago I was at a point where it felt like reaching this weight was impossible. I'm smaller than I believed was possible and I'm wondering if there's a part of me that subconsciously thinks I've reached some kind of stopping point. (Even though I know I have to keep working at these behaviors for life.)

@bmeadows380, do you think this is a factor in your current struggles?
  • amart4224
    amart4224 Posts: 345 Member
    Options

Ditto, I used to buy these big containers of frozen chocolate eclairs and scarf them straight out of the freezer. Also frozen chocolate cake or coconut cream pie out of the box. I try to avoid going down that grocery store aisle at all these days.
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    @bobsburgersfan

I don't know; it might be a factor, but for me, this time of year is when I always stall anyway - this is the 3rd time I've had this problem during this time of year during weight loss attempts. I'm just hoping I can ride through this and get it re-started quicker than before - the last plateau was over 18 months and 30 lbs regained!

It might be more of diet fatigue for me; it might be that I saw the scale dip below 220 and the brain decided I had arrived, its definitely depression and stress and who knows what else in a cumulative affect, I think.

So mom called to ask me how I could handle dinner - which I greatly appreciated. She's telling me what ingredients she's using: 73% lean ground beef (I'm really wincing at that); about 1/2 cup bread crumbs, and 1 egg. She just cut the 2 lb package in half and thinks she's using 1 lb (but didn't weigh it to be accurate) and she didn't have the package to know the calorie count. I guessed 350 per 4 oz on the meat and when I looked it up later, sure enough, that was it. I also realized she forgot to include the ketchup she is sure to put on that meat, so when I included it and a general entry for 4 medium sized peppers, it comes out to 490 calories per pepper. *ouch!* And she's planning to fixed mashed potatoes. She did promise to give me my carrots before putting butter in them for everyone else.

I'm thinking if I half that pepper and skip the mashed potatoes but double the carrots, I might come ahead. A friend of the family makes the pineapple upside down cake every year for dad, but hadn't stopped by yet; if she doesn't make it, mom was going to throw together some blackberry dumplings, which may be a little better calorie-wise. Though I might see if I can talk her into letting me throw together a quick cake - I have a pillsbury sugar free devils' food cake mix in the cupboard and I still have 4 oz of fat free cream cheese I can use in place of the oil to really bring the calorie count down. I need to swing by Walmart anyway on the way home, so a tub of coolwhip for icing would get me a cake with half the calories of the other. I might even splurge and get a Swerve cake mix. I hate to pay $8 for a mix that only makes half a cake, but the calorie count is really low at the same time......

I managed to stick to 1 slice of dry toast and 2 packages of Quaker low sugar instant oatmeal for breakfast, and swung through Wendy's on the way into the office for lunch, with a small chili, 8 crackers, and a half size chicken salad with no dressing, bacon, or avocado on it and a medium coffee with 3 creams. I do plan to let myself have a turkey slide from Arby's on the way home. If I half that pepper and stick to only carrots for dinner, that leaves me 100 calories for the day. I might be able to have a bite of the cake with that :)
  • eliezalot
    Options
    Yesterday was a good day!
    I got really caught up on work, and anxiety is getting back under control. I was still hungry at the end of the day, so decided to have a protein-heavy burrito and just eat at half-deficit. I did some yoga again in the evening, which has really been feeling good. My back was so crackly at the start, and really loosened up by the end. Its fun to see my flexibility increasing too...those forward folds are so much easier now, with less belly in the way!

I'm heading out for a morning walk/run now, which I've been looking forward to all week (I've been getting up super early this week for work, and haven't gone since Monday). I don't have a food plan yet for today, but will sketch that out when I get back from my run. Frozen mini frittatas for breakfast with yogurt, maybe a tuna sandwich for lunch, and dinner TBD.

Tomorrow we are heading over to my cousin's house for a eating/drinking extravaganza day. I'll do my best to moderate and count, without worrying too much about one day's eating. I'd usually not think twice about it, but I'm still coming back down weight-wise after my 2-week trip back home, and I know it'll be disappointing to see my weight spike up again (even though it'll just be water/food weight). Before I went home, my lowest weight was 193. When I got back, it was 203. I think about half of that was water weight. I'm back down to 198 now, and slowly continuing to drop. I think I am holding on to just a bit more water weight, but mostly from here on out is re-losing some fat gain. Ugh.

Last year I took a diet break from Thanksgiving to New Years, and didn't count/log on the holidays. Since I've had a more recent diet break this year, I'm going keep my usual deficit, with the plan to still not log on the actual holiday. This should be okay for Thanksgiving, but we're going back home for Christmas for two weeks, and now I know just how much damage I can do back in that environment. I'm going to have to come up with a solid plan for dealing with old snacking behaviors, saying no to mom's insistence on seconds, and managing all of the extra Christmas cookies and goodies. Some I'll be able to manage with exercise (we'll be up north, so plenty of days spent snowshoeing through the woods), but mostly, I'll have to continue counting my calories, and somehow stop myself from eating every Christmas cookie. Taking all advice, ideas, recommendations!!

I normally wouldn't mind if my loss stalled out a bit over the holidays, but I felt it really stalled out this summer and had JUST started dropping again before I went home and spiked my weight back up. I really don't want to come back in January the same weight I am now. It is still better than gaining, but I just want my progress to get back on track again.
    Options
    I spent today sort of getting myself organized for Thanksgiving and doing a lot of house tidying. I ordered folding chairs for our table, and tomorrow I'll see about carrying my sewing table down and seeing how it fits into the space. If we absolutely need to have the dinner on the sun porch we'll have to get a heater to run out there, and better to know now.

Tonight I'm going to finish the dishes and go up and wrap some Christmas presents for my biosib and her family so that if we are doing separate Christmases there's time for them to get those.
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    well, Friday diet-wise was a failure. I know I was over maintenance. It was one of those days where my calories just seemed to disappear. Then the pizza craving really asserted itself so I gave in. Followed by an apple pie from Hardee's. And a chocolate milk from Fair Life (140 calorie bottle) in hot chocolate. And a serving of cottage cheese. And a 70 calorie protein brownie.

*sigh*

But, I'm not going to let myself spazz on it. I hadn't had pizza in months, the craving was bad, and its one day. Hopefully, I'll get some exercise in tomorrow - I've got plans for work that I hope gets done, anyway!
  • eliezalot
    Options
    well, Friday diet-wise was a failure. I know I was over maintenance. It was one of those days where my calories just seemed to disappear. Then the pizza craving really asserted itself so I gave in. Followed by an apple pie from Hardee's. And a chocolate milk from Fair Life (140 calorie bottle) in hot chocolate. And a serving of cottage cheese. And a 70 calorie protein brownie.

*sigh*

But, I'm not going to let myself spazz on it. I hadn't had pizza in months, the craving was bad, and its one day. Hopefully, I'll get some exercise in tomorrow - I've got plans for work that I hope gets done, anyway!

Fair Life chocolate milk is my faaaavorite. I tried heating it up once, like a hot chocolate. That...did not work. But ADDING it to hot chocolate... *steals brilliant idea*

Friday was just one day, which you clearly know isn't going to make or break your progress. Hope you are able to to get your exercise in this weekend!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I was hungry last night, too....actually took an English muffin to bed with me lol....still hungry this morning and had some Cheerios.....I hardly ever eat breakfast....but I have a full day planned, grocery shopping, and produce market...I want to get a swim in and fix dinner tonight....our anniversary is Sunday but no big plans.....ok I am off to shop!
    Options
    Today I got the craft table from my sewing room downstairs and set it up so I could see if it was going to work as a dining table for the six of us for Thanksgiving. Yes. Two of the four chairs we need for this came, and I looked and found I had some pretty faux leaves and acorns to do a little decoration down the center of the table. Obviously, since I have cats, no decorations til the day of, and then I will be locking the younger cat out on the sun porch.

I'll go to the store Monday and get a few things and then settle in to work on the house and the food til the following Sunday.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Today was our 45 th Anniversary....we had a quiet day and our daughter fixed dinner for us....I passed on the cake because I was so full from the pasta shells and we ate dinner pretty late...I had my snacks earlier during football games so I was pretty full before we ate....the kids will devour the cake so it won’t be wasted...who wastes chocolate cake?....I went swimming early so I got my exercise done, too...tomorrow we will start on another new year together!