Replies

• anido1
    anido1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Username: anido1
    Weigh in day: Monday
    Last Week: 151
    Todays Weight: 152

I think I’m just going to take it easy this week to end the year and not stress out about my weight. I will start fresh in January and be more focused. The holidays are just throwing me for a loop. Hope everyone had a good Christmas...looking forward to a waaaayyyyy better year ahead. We all need it!
  • leonadixon
    leonadixon Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    @adhmrh Yayyy I’m glad that you will be joining me for No Sugar January challenge! That looks like a great book to help keep you determined and focused. Let me know how you like it and I might get a copy for myself. 😊

@Krea4 OK, another one for the No Sugar January challenge! It will be a real battle but you are right that having each other to be accountable to will make it much easier.

@apple852hk Your origami cubes are so cute!! You and I both love our chocolate and right now I have a bunch of it. What I don’t eat from now to January 1st will either be tossed into the trash or put in a freezer bag and not touched until after the challenge is over. It’s only for one month and I think we can do it. I hope you will decide to join us. :)

@Cornanda Girl, you crack me up!! :D My what the hell dial was off the charts too the last couple of days. It’s time to reign it in. You with me? ;)

Good morning team! I hope you all survived Christmas 2020 and are NOT beating yourselves up too much for any overindulgences you might have done. I fully admit that I had too many indulgences with food, candy, and wine. I haven’t stepped on the scale in two days and plan to face the damage tomorrow morning. :grin: I had a lovely Christmas with my husband and mom and was completely spoiled by them both. Hubby and I spent most of the day packing up the Christmas decoration and today I will do some deep cleaning. I want to go into this next week with a clean house and get myself ready to have an awesome New Year! I saw this quote this morning and thought it was great! Failure does not mean you are a failure... Einstein famously said, "Failure is success in progress." That’s me! A work in progress. :grin:

January No-Sugar Challenge will begin on Jan. 1st. I hope you will join me. I plan to give up all sugar, fruit, simple-processed carbs, and wine. You decided what you are going to give up. We can do it!! B)

I'm in for the no sugar challenge! I will be giving up the "treats" like cookies, cake, candy, etc. I've been trying to cut down and out but this week was rough!
  • trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 5,912 Member
    Options
    @TeresaW1020 Yes, today is a new day! :) As you know, I have my word picked out but I won't reveal it until Friday. I love your evaluation of 2020. Here is mine:

1) What went well last year?
    I was pretty consistent in my actions. I may not have done everything I wanted to do, but I did do what I did consistently (except for the past two weeks). I tracked 90% of the time. I worked on liquids consumption. I worked on sleep. I am down 11.6 lbs from where I was this time last year...this is not stellar but considering the year we've had, I'm happy I'm down and not up.

2) What didn’t go so well last year?
    Exercise was a fight and I didn't do it at all the last 5 months of the year. Good sleep was a hit or miss, mostly a miss. That's not because I didn't try, it's because of hormonal changes and anxiety. Liquid consumption was also hit or miss.

3) What did you learn?
    I learned that in order to be successful, I really need to drink more liquids. I need to track. I hate exercise. Just being honest. I learned that I can't set a timeline on my weight loss because in the past when I've tried to do Healthywage type of diet bets, I sabotage myself because I have a date.

My 2021 adjustments:
    The Goal: To amp up my weight loss efforts and be more consistent and not give up.
    The Timeline: I commit to doing this from January 1st until April 1st. I will re-evaluate it then.
    The Actions: Track 90% of what I eat, walk for 20 minutes (or do a walking video) 3 times a week, drink at least 60 oz of liquids every day, meditate for at least 10 minutes every day.

@adhmrh I'm glad you had a nice Christmas! And well done, getting back on track.

@Jactop Wow, that's an incredible coincidence! That is a good incentive. I love your word for the year. Consistency is something I've always struggled with, although I've gotten better.

@gwamajtw91 I hadn't seen Joan MacDonald, but wow, how inspiring! Thanks for sharing and congrats on your progress.

• Cornanda
    Cornanda Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Hello. Every day my dials are getting closer to normal. The cookies are gone. I put the pretzels in the freezer, threw out the rolls- out of sight, out of mind works for me. Thinking about plans for next year, thoughts are not forming. Maybe I need to evaluate last year for ideas. Have a good Tuesday!
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,380 Member
    Options
    One more heading your way ... Please welcome @kerritho :)
  • Cornanda
    Options
    @chnlaxmom- Hi from the USA and welcome to the group. Sooooo sorry to hear about your cat. I think you probably have some ideas of where you want to start on your journey and you will surely get lots of tips here. Pick and choose and try and find what works for you. Everyone is so different. This group is so great for support! Feel free to post success, problems, whatever you're feeling. Talk a lot if you want, or just read the posts and absorb. We're a bit quiet right now as people are busy with holiday stuff. Usually there's lots going on every day. I find that since I like reading the posts, that makes me more likely to check in for that purpose and then I will get my tracking done as well. Glad you are here!
  • adhmrh
    adhmrh Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Ok @TeresaW1020 here goes. My word for 2021 PERSEVERE. I like Webster's definition: "to persist in an undertaking in spite of counter-influences, opposition or discouragement." Every journey is filled with hills and valleys. I must persevere no matter what life throws my way.

1) What I did well last year: I began this journey again in August. I have done very well with tracking my food and eating within my calories. I have lost 40 pounds in 4 1/2 months. I am drinking lots and lots of water.

2) What I didn't do so well last year: Exercise. I have really struggled getting into the routine exercising daily. I have been very inconsistent.

3) What did you learn: If not careful I will stress eat, or emotionally eat. On a positive, I learned that there are no failures - there are only results. Results show me what I need to do better or what I am doing well.

My 2021 adjustments:
    Goal: to continue to get healthier, have two more meds I would like to get off of. Stay positive and know that I can control what I eat and how much I move.
    Timeline: this is a life long journey, I will not sabotage myself with deadlines. I will take steps daily to make myself healthier.
    Actions: workout 4x a week for at least 30 mins. Eat not just within my calories, but health foods within my calories. Journal daily to document ups and downs.

@gwamajtw91 I love your word. Thanks for sharing train w/Joan. Definitely want to check this out. I'm jumping on the no sugar challenge. I think I ate enough sugar in 4 days to last all of 2021. :smile:

@TeresaW1020 How exciting that this year could get you to goal weight, I think transformation is a perfect choice. So excited to see you achieve this!! Thanks so much for all of your great ideas, encouragement and time you give to the group!!!

@Cornanda thanks for the YouTube workout suggestion. I am always trying to find something that I can do and enjoy doing!! I love hearing how your "dials" are doing. What a great way to look at it.

@GabiV125 understanding our bodies could be the biggest win. That takes time and really digging deep.

@Jactop I'm with you, if I was choosing a second word it would be consistency. That is definitely a key in this journey. Congrats on the engagements. A double wedding would be really cool!!

@leonadixon I'm with you on this no sugar January! It won't be easy but we can do it!!!!

@trooworld I'm excited to hear your word!! I'm with you on the exercise front. I want to do, but I guess not bad enough because I haven't been doing it consistently. I have to get going literally!! Hope you had an awesome Christmas!!

@cdnlaxmom welcome!!! I am so sorry about your cat. I lost both of mine in the same year. That is so hard!! I joined this group in September. I love how everyone shares, it is really motivating!

Welcome @kerritho !!!

I am so ready for 2021! I am enjoying the last of my vacation time this week. All Christmas stuff is packed and house is back in order. Hubby and I cooked a wonderful dinner tonight - steelhead trout and veggies. So very good. I feel like I am back on track.

Let's all embrace this journey, get plans for 2021 set. Just think, this time next year we can reflect on all we have accomplished and learned!!!
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,579 Member
    Options
    @cdnlaxmom Welcome to the group! I'm so sorry to hear about your cat, how heartbreaking.

@Teresaw1020 @trooworld @adhmrh Thank you for sharing your thoughts on what has and hasn't worked and word, I'm going to reread them for inspiration.

I've only stretched the last couple days, I'm feeling pretty lousy. I think I'm allergic to the cannabis tea, something made me break out really bad and I'm itchy but it's all that's keeping me out of the ER. We moved the rest of my boyfriend's things in. Tomorrow is my neurologist appointment, I annoyed him last time but I plan to be even more annoying tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to go outside my insurance for help so I have nothing to lose. I have a few things in the works. I'll evaluate my year once I'm past this appointment, my only plan so far is cutting sugar and making an appointment to get hand controls in my car so I can drive safely.

• trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 5,912 Member
    Options
    @Cornanda Well done! That's awesome.

@cdnlaxmom I'm so very sorry for the loss of your kitty. My pet is my family, and I know I would really be hurting. <3 I'm glad you reached out. As far as tips, I think the most important thing is to find something that works for you. What works for one person may be the absolute worse thing for another. Something that seems to be important for most people is to make sure and track every morsel that goes into your mouth. Even when you are eating poorly, if you are tracking it all, you can go back and look for patterns. Something that helps me is to set small goals that are attainable and build off the wins: if I'm having trouble tracking, I will commit to tracking breakfast only for that day. If I track breakfast for a few days, I will add in lunch or even lunch and dinner. Slowly, I'll climb back on the wagon, so to speak. I also keep track of my NSVs (Non-scale victories) in a book: if I tracked all my food, in the book it goes. Only ate 2 pieces of pizza instead of 4? In the book it goes. That way, I can look back at all the "wins" I had when I am having a bad day and can't see any progress. I'm about your starting weight (I'm 230.8 lbs) and sometimes the amount of weight I want to lose seems so far away. One thing that helps with that is to just concentrate on losing one pound for the week. I hope this helps give you some ideas. Hugs to you.

@adhmrh I love this: "There are no failures- there are only results." So powerful! I've been doing a word of the year for years now. I find it helps me focus. On another board here on MFP, I actually put my word of the year in the end of all of my posts. I think I might start doing that here, too, in 2021. It helps me keep my mind on that word. Yeah, exercise, part of my problem is that I KNOW you don't need to exercise to lose weight but what I don't take into account is that it is important to keep healthy/limber as I get older. I had a great Christmas, I hope you did as well! <3 That's great all of your Christmas stuff is put away, I haven't even begun to do that yet. Your trout dinner sounds yummy. I had salmon on Monday night. I look forward to 2021!

@Katmary71 I wish you luck at the neurologist appointment tomorrow. I hope you get help from them.

Hello all. I can't wait until the new year starts. I feel like it will be like erasing all the yuck off a chalkboard and starting with a clean slate. I have never been one to wait for a Monday, new week, new month to start healthy eating/exercise but I think right now, I am doing that. Not so say I'm eating junk every day, I am still putting up a fight. But there are occasional slips and those add up.
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    Options
    @cdnlaxmom Welcome to the team! I am so very sorry for the loss of your sweet kitty! Sixteen years is such a long time to have a fur baby in your life. :'( You have come to the right place for support and encouragement as you begin your weight loss journey. I am a big believer in finding what works for you for the long term. If it’s not something you can do forever, then don’t do it! I very much look forward to getting to know you. :)

@leonadixon I’m glad that you are in for the January No Sugar challenge!! I will be posting more info on how to help us stay motivated and on track so check back here often! :)

@trooworld I can’t wait for Friday and to find out your 2021 word!! :grin: I loved reading your reflections of last year and what you did well was to lose weight. The number doesn’t matter as much as that you ended the year with a loss. I wish you liked exercise more. I remember when I first met you and you were working out like crazy. I do know it’s a habit like any other that we have to do consistently, or we won’t do it. Yoga and walking are great and good for stress release too. ;)

@Cornanda Yes to getting those dials back to normal! Hubby and I just tossed out the remaining cookies this morning and put them out on the curb for the trash truck. :grin: Yes, you do need to evaluate this past year and don’t just focus on the negative. You did a lot of things right so focus on that and how you can continue to improve. <3

@adhmrh YES! I love the work PERSEVERE and the definition is perfect. It goes right along with my saying, “NEVER give up!” You have done so amazingly this year by losing 40 lbs. That is incredible!! B) I used to hate exercise too and was very inconsistent with it. Then I started treating it like it was my job and it became a non-negotiable. Then one day I realized that my body actually craved exercise. I do encourage you to try that approach and to do something that you will enjoy.

@Katmary71 I hope all goes well with your neurologist appointment. Yes, to standing up and getting what you need! :)

Good morning team! Sorry I didn’t check in yesterday. Hubby and I spent several hours at the church taking down the decorations. Plus, I did grocery shopping and a really intense workout so my body was done and I just crashed on the sofa the rest of the evening. This morning we took the rest of the cookies and candy to the curb for the trash truck. I do have a bottle of champagne that I plan to share with hubby on New Year's Eve but other than that I’m back on my low-carb, fasting plan. I’m also excited about the January No Sugar Challenge and am working on some stuff to help us focus. So, stay tuned!! :grin:
  • leonadixon
    leonadixon Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Username:@leonadixon
    Weigh in day: Tuesday
    PW (11/24/2020): 217.6
    Check in weight (12/1): 218.4
    Check in weight (12/8): 220.0
    Check in weight (12/15) 219.4
    Check in weight (12/22) 218.4
    Check in weight (12/29) 220.8

UGH....but no surprise. I had sweets with all the sweets and sweets this week. I got a recubent bike for Christmas! I have been using it and love it.

My word for 2021 is...... HEALTH!

I need to focus on feeling good/ better. It encompasses my physical well being as well as my emotional and mental well being with need some focus.

HAPPY NEW YEAR, ALL!
  • Cornanda
    edited December 2020
    Options
    @AustinRuadhain -- I think you do step platform workouts? Any favorites you tubers for that? I've done two workouts this week and I love it!

For those of you who dislike exercise- I do/did too. I started just walking every day. With Covid going on, it really helped reduce anxiety and I love being outside. You can pray, meditate, work through any negative thoughts. I did it most days because I felt so much better when I got back from a walk. It's a win/win and not hard to get started. Unless you live in snow country..... As time went on, I've started adding weight and cardio workouts from you tube. I wanted to see more results and I have seen more results since I've built muscle and increased my endurance. I still don't love it, but I love what it does for me, so I rarely skip workouts anymore. In the past, I could find any excuse to do that! It's a perfect example of what @trooworld said- build on the wins!

Tip- on Sunday, I look at work out videos and pick out what I'm going to do each day for the whole week. Otherwise I'm apt to sit in front of the computer "deciding" until it's too late to do much of anything.

Happy Wed!
  • RYcare
    RYcare Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I had a great Christmas with my family and parents after uncertainty of what to do. It was such a great way to finish this year and put everything behind.

I can’t wait for a new start with a wonderful team, the support and fun are amazing here. I am still thinking about 2021 word. I like all the ones you guys picked, they are powerful and encouraging.

Happy new year to all and looking forward to 2021!
  • TwistedSassette
    TwistedSassette Posts: 8,618 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I am loving reading your reflections and goals. It sounds like everyone is ready for the fresh start that a new year brings.

It's New Year's Eve here in Australia now, so I've been thinking about this topic a lot. More so the goals and looking forward than the reflection part, but I'll put below a summary of my thoughts!

Reflection on 2020:
    1. What went well last year?
    I did manage to lose 5kg. I kept my toddler alive and relatively well-adjusted! I found myself a good balance of focusing on the scale and the non-scale victories - I took the power away from the scale by weighing daily and tracking it as data and I learned a lot about my own body and how it responds to different foods etc. And I discovered a new relationship with exercise - I don't actually hate it like I thought I did. I have seen some vast improvements in my flexibility and strength thanks to regular yoga practice, and found that walking can be quite relaxing. I aced my work physical assessment and surprised even myself with that.

2. What didn't go so well last year?
    I learned that I need to be more consistent with getting enough sleep, and tracking my calorie intake. Old habits are easy to slip back into, but tracking helps to keep me on track. And I'm not 21 anymore - I need good sleep every night or I am just a zombie the next day. I have lost track of my sleep debt!

3. What did you learn?
    I think I have covered a lot of this above, but most importantly for me, I have learned that losing weight is something that IS achievable for me, despite many years of me thinking that it's impossible. In the past, I have used my PCOS diagnosis as a crutch - I'm not losing weight because of PCOS. The reality is that PCOS is an obstacle that just affects what my daily calorie burn is. It makes it a little harder to estimate because the usual calculators don't really work out right for me. But through consistent tracking, I've been able to work out what works for me and I'm very happy about that.

Goals for 2021:
    I'm not really the sort of person to set myself long-term goals for the year. I feel like I need more flexibility with my goals so that I don't get those niggling feelings of failure if I have to adjust throughout the year. I find that demotivating. But I'm glad that I already know that about myself! So rather than setting concrete goals for the year, I will be setting some less measurable goals to guide me through the year, and setting monthly goals which will give me the flexibility that I feel like I need.

r8m5qrrbof56.png

My 2021 focus word is Peace. To me, that means quieting the negative voices inside, and approaching life with the confidence to know that it will all work out. It means less toxic social media, and more time with family. It means taking the time to appreciate the beautiful life that I have curated, and not getting hung up on the little things that really aren't that important.

esp1qgxw1lc1.png
    1. Improve sleep quality and quantity.
    2. Continue consistently tracking and recording calorie deficits.
    3. Continue regular exercise for it's health benefits.
    4. Meditate more.
    5. Reduce social media time.

kfi3jg9ms4vr.png
    1. Sleep for a total of 200 hours in January (average 6.45 hours per night vs. December average 6.1 hours).
    2. Record overall calorie deficit in January (on days where tracking is missed, assume maintenance calories).
    3. Complete 600 minutes of exercise in January (any type - average 19.35 minutes per day vs. December average 14 minutes).
    4. Meditate a minimum of four times in January (any duration).
    5. Limit social media browsing to 1 hour per day in January, on average (vs. 2.5 hours average during December holiday period).

Thank you all for being a part of my journey this year - I truly appreciate the support I've received in this group! I look forward to working together kicking *kitten* in 2021!
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,089 Member
    Options
    Ready to set up your daily habit tracking for January? Put in your name, your habits, and start checking them off on Sunday. See you there!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10819418/january-2021-habit-tracker#latest
  • GabiV125
    GabiV125 Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Username: GabiV125
    Check in day: Wednesday
    PW: 127.4
    CW: 127.8
    After 5 days of good food and no exercise, it’s perfectly fine .
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    Weekly Weigh-In

Day - Tuesday
    Name - bethanie0825
    PW- 225
    CW - 224.2

I'll take it bc I'm finishing up TOM and eating like it doesn't matter lol
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    Options
    @leonadixon This is a tough week for so many of us. You will get that weight gain off this week. Especially if you start using that recumbent bike. What a nice gift! :)

@Cornanda I completely agree that we need to build on our wins! I’m glad that you found exercise that you don’t mind doing. That is a good tip on lining up your videos so you aren’t wasting time that you could be working out. :)

@RYcare I’m so glad that you had a wonderful Christmas with your family. That is a great way to close out this year of turmoil and fear. Let’s make this the best year ever! B)

@TwistedSassette Happy New Year!! I loved reading your reflections for 2021 and think that you did so many important things right. I agree that you need to work on getting better sleep. It will help you in every way including with weight loss. I didn’t realize you had PCOS. That does make losing weight harder but certainly not impossible. I just listened to a great podcast with Dr. Nadia Pateguana who suffered from PCOS. She has a good YouTube video as well if you want to check out what worked for her. LOVE that your 2021 word is Peace. Just saying the word is calming to the soul and spirit. You are going to crush your goals this year and I can’t wait to watch it all happen! <3

@GabiV125 I say you had a very good week considering that you enjoyed your holiday. Glad to see that you agree. :)

@bethanie0825 Geat job this week!! Now don’t let TOM get you eating too much. ;)

Good morning team! I have to leave in a little bit for my staff meeting, which might go long because we have all the new year planning and talking to do. I decided to take a rest day from working out too. This new Beachbody program is awesome, but my muscles have been hurting for three days. Which is a good thing! :grin: Tonight, hubby and I plan to watch a movie, drink a little champagne (or a lot ;) ), maybe stay up to see the ball drop, and quietly ring in the New Year. Personally, this has been a good year and for that, I am truly thankful. :)
This discussion has been closed.