Introduce Yourself

Replies

• NatashaR44
    NatashaR44 Posts: 8 Member
    Hi everyone! I'm about a month into my current journey and finding MFP very helpful for me. I was sick for over 2 years and went from my highest weight ever (320) all the way down to 170. Everyone told me how great I looked, but my family and I knew that I only got to that weight because of how sick I was. I went into a remission of sorts and when I was able to eat normally again, all my food issues came back. The quarantine has been hard as well and I found myself overeating a lot, and managed to gain back over 100 pounds. I got really ashamed of myself for letting myself get back to (not quite) where I was before and felt like the only "good" thing out of being sick was ruined.

Anyway, I decided instead of feeling sorry for myself, I was going to lose the weight the healthy way, so here I am! After one month, I'm down around 15 pounds and feeling really good. I still have a long way to go, but I've been reading this forum and tracking what I'm eating religiously, so I feel like I can do it this time, and keep it off.
  • BordeauxBee
    BordeauxBee Posts: 69 Member
    Good Sunday to everyone ☘️🌸🌻
    New to the group. This is the group I have been looking for bc I have over 90lbs to lose. I have lost 13.5lbs so far. A1c dropped to prediabetic range. Moving in the right direction.
    I’ve always considered myself a proud big girl! Today, this weight is hard to carry around. My self esteem is low and, this is the hardest hurdle yet. Mind over Matter, so for me to get my mind over the weight, sore ankles, aching knees, diabetes, failed relationships with ex’s and friends...to combat it in a matter of fact way is difficult. To say the least.
    I tried therapy. Complete waste of time. I’m told to look up YouTube videos on visualization or meditate. So I’m going to skip the obvious and seek expensive therapy.
    If money was no object, i would hire an trainer to come to my home. And work me out 5 days a week. And have one of those food delivery services that follow your calorie count.
    I know it’s best to do this by myself, but I think the support of a group would help.
    Looking through some other groups people are losing 20lbs. I WISH! 😄🙃

Please reach out. Comment. Gently. And I promise to return the same!

BordeauxBee

It is possible, you're with the right people. I started this year at 296 and said Oh, HELL no! and as of last Friday I am FIFTY pounds lighter, and five sizes down. I wouldn't have believed I can do it either. Especially since I can't eat "clean" due to food intolerances. And foot arthritis means I'm not going to add walking or running, and the gyms are shut due to COVID. But I am doing it. And you can too. It's just day by day and meal by meal, and if you eat your calorie budget or just below, you'll succeed. I believe in you.

Therapy can help you with the self-esteem. It can help you with some of the negative self-talk that will go on in your head no matter the amount you weigh. And so it's good, because that negativity will make it a bit harder to do.
    But all you have to do is stay under calorie, however you prefer it. I eat candy bars every day, and chips. Other people can do it by eating a lot of vegetables, or going keto. But it's whatever works for you. I know you can do it.

Thank you for your encouraging words AlexandraFindsHerself1971.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,598 Member
    Hello, everyone!

I'm about eight months into this round of weight loss (been here once before!). I’m 57 years old - 5’9” – 190 lbs (woohoo!)- vegetarian/relatively clean eater – accustomed to being very physically active.

Quitting smoking 4 years ago just about did me in. Along with a messed up head, I gained 85 lbs. I wasn’t thin to begin with, but was living comfortably at a pretty muscular 190. A few months after I quit smoking, my brain and then body went haywire. I was gaining 4 lbs a week – like clockwork – every Sunday morning I used my neighbour’s scale to weigh myself and I was 4 pounds heavier than the previous week. My eating didn’t justify the gain, but it happened. I've spent the years since then freaking out. Yo-yoing up and down the same 20-30 pounds.

In these same 4 years, I’ve been hindered by a few injuries. The first compelled me to quit smoking and then there a few more so that I had to give up my work as a landscaper/renovator. So I’m adjusting to new activity levels and figuring out how to fit physical activity back into my life.

I finally managed first to stabilize my brain and then my body and have lost 85 pounds!

I'm back to 190 lbs. Most of this weight loss has been since the covid lockdowns began, and I have faithfully used MFP to track and make nutrition decisions. Now that I have hit my original goal, I am not happy with how this weight sits (hangs!!) on me. I have lost a lot of muscle because of my lifestyle change, so 190 doesn’t feel or look as good as it did. I want to work toward 160-170 pounds. I’m not sure exactly because I don’t know how that weight will feel, nor how hard it will be to maintain. So 170 will be my next goal and then I’ll take stock again.

Since April I’ve been eating 1000-1300 calories – aiming for 50% carbs / 25% protein / 25% fat. I walk a lot – somewhere between 2 or 3 hours of brisk walking a day. Occasionally – maybe once a month? – I’ll have a pizza night with a friend, and maybe once a week a sweet treat of some sort, a Big Daddy cookie or a chocolate bar. This has not been too terrible of a system to maintain. Until recently. Now, I just can’t seem to do it anymore. I think when I had lots of extra body fat to use as fuel my body tolerated this deficit, but lately I’ve been ridiculously hungry – to the point where I have started eating before bed. Not junk. These are not snacking cravings – but actual hunger.

So it seems the best bet is to change things up.

With the wealth of information available on this forum, I’m a bit overwhelmed and feel unable to make a decision on what to do now. I’m terrified of having the pounds roll back on.

I’ve messed around a bit the past month with “refeeds,” eating at maintenance two days a week which MFP pegged at 1900 calories when I chose sedentary which seemed the safest bet. But eating like that left me feeling really anxious, and guilty! I think I do better with a consistent routine.

I’m considering:
    • a deficit break for a few weeks or a month and then getting back to what I have been doing up to now. But I just hate giving up the exhilaration of losing weight and am really afraid I’ll completely lose control and not be able to get back on track.
    • accepting that I really can’t maintain this deficit and up my daily calories to something manageable (1500 – 1600??).

Both of these options feel like I am copping out. (Yes, I probably have some disordered eating issues - always have and now even more so after these 4 years of eating/weight chaos.)

I wrote all of this in the Motivation and Support section and NovusDies gave me some excellent advice and invited to join this group.

The short version of his advice was to take a 4 week break. Eat at slightly above maintenance, and eat back my exercise calories.

I set MFP to do that last week - and the first day had me set to eat 2900 calories. I just couldn't do it - so instead I thought I would work up to it. The first few days 1600-1800 calories a day felt good - still a deficit but a world of difference.

But there are definitely some challenges with adding food! It is frightening.

Halloween day I had my four year old grandson over, and guests over for a late lunch type meal, in the backyard because of Covid - and it is cold, so we had a fire going and everything was lovely but not at all like the past months have been. Without my nicely ordered eating system things took a turn south. I was halfway through shelling out and I was getting hungry. I had opened a bottle of wine to have a glass with my neighbour (an old Halloween shell out routine of ours), but this year she wasn't interested - though she did give me a handful of little chocolate bars, which I didn't decline. Wine and cheap chocolate on an empty stomach wasn't the best idea. By the time I blew out the candle in the pumpkin I was ravenous. I wasn't prepared for that at all. I ended up ordering pizza and dessert and drinking the entire bottle of wine myself (I'm not usually much of a drinker).

So much for 8 months of mindful eating establishing new habits!

Anyway...things have been more under control yesterday and today. And I've left my MFP settings to "gain .5" and "include exercise calories" - most days that gives me close to 3000 calories to play around with. I'm trying to keep my focus on eating healthy foods until I feel comfortable and to not worry too much about how many calories I've eaten. I have lots of calories to work with! When I feel less anxious, I'll bring in a few treats and see how that goes. My grandson is back with me on Wednesday - I think he will help me choose something :-)

I'm thankful to be a member of this group. I've been peeking around a bit - and it feels so good to be in the company of others who seem to be on a similar journey to mine.

Thank you for the invitation!
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Welcome to Larger Losers....you should fit right into this group!.....
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    @lauriekallis

Welcome!

I love the long post, too - I'm not the only one who writes paragraphs! lol

I'm struggling to learn myself how to give myself permission to be human and to slow things down. Right now I'm sitting at a 1650 calorie limit daily which is supposed to be 1 lb/wk, but setting it to 1 lb/wk is still kicking off the guilt (not to mention that for over a month now, I haven't even been able to stick to that and have found myself at or above maintenance most days). The head space battle is truly the worst. And I get so much the fear of losing control and regaining - I dropped 90 lbs in 2012 and managed to regain all but 5 lbs of that by 2015. I restarted losing weight in 2017, lost a little over 100 lbs, then plateaued that fall and for the next 18 months regained 25-30 lbs. I finally restarted losing weight slowly in 2019, which kicked into high gear in the spring of 2020, but since July, my loss rate has been slowing down until I hit October and hit a huge stall and a struggle with regaining. I don't know how much of the nearly 14 lbs I saw on the scale yesterday was water and how much was actual fat; the good is apparently 5 lbs of it was water anyway, since the scale dropped 4.5 lbs this morning. Its very frustrating! I know beating myself up and making myself guilty doesn't help, but knowing what I should and shouldn't do and that my thought patterns aren't good and actually fixing them are two vastly different things!

So I'm quite willing to listen when you need to vent your frustrations if you'll listen to mine - and maybe you can give these folks here a break from listening to my whining all the time lately lol
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    tebtosca4 wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I'm about a month into my current journey and finding MFP very helpful for me. I was sick for over 2 years and went from my highest weight ever (320) all the way down to 170. Everyone told me how great I looked, but my family and I knew that I only got to that weight because of how sick I was. I went into a remission of sorts and when I was able to eat normally again, all my food issues came back. The quarantine has been hard as well and I found myself overeating a lot, and managed to gain back over 100 pounds. I got really ashamed of myself for letting myself get back to (not quite) where I was before and felt like the only "good" thing out of being sick was ruined.

Anyway, I decided instead of feeling sorry for myself, I was going to lose the weight the healthy way, so here I am! After one month, I'm down around 15 pounds and feeling really good. I still have a long way to go, but I've been reading this forum and tracking what I'm eating religiously, so I feel like I can do it this time, and keep it off.

Hi @tebtosca4,

Welcome to LL.

You should not feel ashamed. Not even a little. Your first round of weight loss was a blessing from a curse but because of the circumstances you never had a chance to change your habits and mindset. The reality is for most people it takes a few iterations to get it right. You now know that a lot of physical weight loss is not really the main issue. You create a deficit, wait enough time, and off it goes. The mental aspects are what can be more challenging. I often say that I can't just lose the weight but I have to lose the habits and mindset of the person who gained it.

I am in the process of "defending" more than 250 pounds of loss. I am worried enough that I have been studying like a madman. I cannot assume that the weight will be gone and it will be peaches and cream the rest of my life. I have to absolutely make that happen ever bit as much as I created the calorie deficits to get it all gone. For some people flipping those mental switches will be easy. They probably won't even know they did it. I can't rely on that. I was heavily disabled at my highest weight. I am enjoying my life now. I am not ready to relax yet.
  • NovusDies
    Hello, everyone!

I'm about eight months into this round of weight loss (been here once before!). I’m 57 years old - 5’9” – 190 lbs (woohoo!)- vegetarian/relatively clean eater – accustomed to being very physically active.

Quitting smoking 4 years ago just about did me in. Along with a messed up head, I gained 85 lbs. I wasn’t thin to begin with, but was living comfortably at a pretty muscular 190. A few months after I quit smoking, my brain and then body went haywire. I was gaining 4 lbs a week – like clockwork – every Sunday morning I used my neighbour’s scale to weigh myself and I was 4 pounds heavier than the previous week. My eating didn’t justify the gain, but it happened. I've spent the years since then freaking out. Yo-yoing up and down the same 20-30 pounds.

In these same 4 years, I’ve been hindered by a few injuries. The first compelled me to quit smoking and then there a few more so that I had to give up my work as a landscaper/renovator. So I’m adjusting to new activity levels and figuring out how to fit physical activity back into my life.

I finally managed first to stabilize my brain and then my body and have lost 85 pounds!

I'm back to 190 lbs. Most of this weight loss has been since the covid lockdowns began, and I have faithfully used MFP to track and make nutrition decisions. Now that I have hit my original goal, I am not happy with how this weight sits (hangs!!) on me. I have lost a lot of muscle because of my lifestyle change, so 190 doesn’t feel or look as good as it did. I want to work toward 160-170 pounds. I’m not sure exactly because I don’t know how that weight will feel, nor how hard it will be to maintain. So 170 will be my next goal and then I’ll take stock again.

Since April I’ve been eating 1000-1300 calories – aiming for 50% carbs / 25% protein / 25% fat. I walk a lot – somewhere between 2 or 3 hours of brisk walking a day. Occasionally – maybe once a month? – I’ll have a pizza night with a friend, and maybe once a week a sweet treat of some sort, a Big Daddy cookie or a chocolate bar. This has not been too terrible of a system to maintain. Until recently. Now, I just can’t seem to do it anymore. I think when I had lots of extra body fat to use as fuel my body tolerated this deficit, but lately I’ve been ridiculously hungry – to the point where I have started eating before bed. Not junk. These are not snacking cravings – but actual hunger.

So it seems the best bet is to change things up.

With the wealth of information available on this forum, I’m a bit overwhelmed and feel unable to make a decision on what to do now. I’m terrified of having the pounds roll back on.

I’ve messed around a bit the past month with “refeeds,” eating at maintenance two days a week which MFP pegged at 1900 calories when I chose sedentary which seemed the safest bet. But eating like that left me feeling really anxious, and guilty! I think I do better with a consistent routine.

I’m considering:
    • a deficit break for a few weeks or a month and then getting back to what I have been doing up to now. But I just hate giving up the exhilaration of losing weight and am really afraid I’ll completely lose control and not be able to get back on track.
    • accepting that I really can’t maintain this deficit and up my daily calories to something manageable (1500 – 1600??).

Both of these options feel like I am copping out. (Yes, I probably have some disordered eating issues - always have and now even more so after these 4 years of eating/weight chaos.)

I wrote all of this in the Motivation and Support section and NovusDies gave me some excellent advice and invited to join this group.

The short version of his advice was to take a 4 week break. Eat at slightly above maintenance, and eat back my exercise calories.

I set MFP to do that last week - and the first day had me set to eat 2900 calories. I just couldn't do it - so instead I thought I would work up to it. The first few days 1600-1800 calories a day felt good - still a deficit but a world of difference.

But there are definitely some challenges with adding food! It is frightening.

Halloween day I had my four year old grandson over, and guests over for a late lunch type meal, in the backyard because of Covid - and it is cold, so we had a fire going and everything was lovely but not at all like the past months have been. Without my nicely ordered eating system things took a turn south. I was halfway through shelling out and I was getting hungry. I had opened a bottle of wine to have a glass with my neighbour (an old Halloween shell out routine of ours), but this year she wasn't interested - though she did give me a handful of little chocolate bars, which I didn't decline. Wine and cheap chocolate on an empty stomach wasn't the best idea. By the time I blew out the candle in the pumpkin I was ravenous. I wasn't prepared for that at all. I ended up ordering pizza and dessert and drinking the entire bottle of wine myself (I'm not usually much of a drinker).

So much for 8 months of mindful eating establishing new habits!

Anyway...things have been more under control yesterday and today. And I've left my MFP settings to "gain .5" and "include exercise calories" - most days that gives me close to 3000 calories to play around with. I'm trying to keep my focus on eating healthy foods until I feel comfortable and to not worry too much about how many calories I've eaten. I have lots of calories to work with! When I feel less anxious, I'll bring in a few treats and see how that goes. My grandson is back with me on Wednesday - I think he will help me choose something :-)

I'm thankful to be a member of this group. I've been peeking around a bit - and it feels so good to be in the company of others who seem to be on a similar journey to mine.

Thank you for the invitation!

I see you made it @lauriekallis!

Welcome.

You might not appreciate me saying this but I am glad you were "imperfect" on Halloween. Perfection is too hard. I credit my dalliances over the line to relaxed behavior as one of the things that allowed me to get where I am.

I know you are anxious about how to eat but consider one of my favorite things to say "More nutrients than you need are more nutrients in your pee." I practice the overall philosophy of 80/20. It does not mean I calculate it precisely. I believe if the majority of my food is variety of nutrient dense food the rest doesn't matter. My doctor that checks my blood work every 4 months cannot disagree... and he checks just about everything.

@PAV8888 posted a research paper that I wish I had bookmarked. It suggests that people in a long term calorie deficit may be more susceptible to sticking a toe or a foot across the disordered line. I have certainly felt my toe across there at times. It is another good reason to take your month break, imo.

I really think you should start channeling some of your mental energy towards how you will take all this forward another 5 years. What are you doing that is too much? Is what you are doing flexible enough to deal with 5 years of life? Does it make you happy enough? A lot of people say forever. I think a 5 year plan is enough. I know I want to keep my weight off for forever but what is the point in putting together a forever plan that will likely have to adapt anyway?

I know some parts of it will be a struggle but I really believe you will end up appreciating this break. Left unchecked your fatigue might really crash you into a wall. One of the ways I know it is happening is I feel my grip loosen. As soon as my calories start to creep a little higher here and there I know I have to address it before it becomes a REAL problem. For me a real problem is eating everything in sight and I have done that in the past on some of my overly harsh attempts to lose.

I think we have to always remember that while we know we are in a controlled deficit that will end our body does not know this. I can't ask my body what it knows but it stands to reason it is thinking "Hey, I am not getting enough food. Help me. I am going to die if this doesn't stop." It seems like it would be a stressful situation, right? Breaks combat this. It temporarily flips off the famine switch. It restores hormones and other chemicals to their proper levels. It stops slowing down things like nail and hair growth to conserve energy. If the body is stressed the mind will be stressed, right?

End of novel.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,552 Member
    Hi @NovusDies and @lauriekallis

I don't recall the paper. I wish I did or that you did.

I have probably mentioned in various posts that, in general, engaging in a large deficit for people who are susceptible to eating disorders (whether previously aware or unaware of them) seems to be a consistent trigger to bring them about.

The larger the deficit and the longer the time period the more likely it is for that to happen.

The amount of calories mentioned and
    the description / post above is full of cautionary danger flags and I'm very glad to see/hear that action to make changes has already been taken.

Just to mention something on the up and up here: the reactions of the starving person who is described above make perfect sense based on all the hormonal changes starvation brings about.

So situation is definitely a bit of a pickle, and I extend my sincere wishes and hope that with a normalization of eating at maintenance levels for a sufficiently long period of time things will settle down without a necessity for further intervention. But I note that enlisting the help of specialists, (especially if not able to move forward on our own) is a smart play!!!

• _inHisGrace
    _inHisGrace Posts: 183 Member
    I’m having issues copying the names. Welcome all. So glad you’re here!!
  • lauriekallis
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Hi @NovusDies and @lauriekallis

I don't recall the paper. I wish I did or that you did.

I have probably mentioned in various posts that, in general, engaging in a large deficit for people who are susceptible to eating disorders (whether previously aware or unaware of them) seems to be a consistent trigger to bring them about.

The larger the deficit and the longer the time period the more likely it is for that to happen.

The amount of calories mentioned and
    the description / post above is full of cautionary danger flags and I'm very glad to see/hear that action to make changes has already been taken.

Just to mention something on the up and up here: the reactions of the starving person who is described above make perfect sense based on all the hormonal changes starvation brings about.

So situation is definitely a bit of a pickle, and I extend my sincere wishes and hope that with a normalization of eating at maintenance levels for a sufficiently long period of time things will settle down without a necessity for further intervention. But I note that enlisting the help of specialists, (especially if not able to move forward on our own) is a smart play!!!

Hi @NovusDies and @PAV8888

I'm enjoying this break - and trying to figure out what "maintenance" calories really are for me. I've been eating in the 1800-2000 range since October 26 (except Halloween :-)) - which has been just a comfortable amount of eating for me - healthy foods plus treat most days - and my weight has stayed pretty stable. Fluctuating between 189.2 and 192.

MFP suggests that I should be eating almost 3000 calories / day to maintain my weight. There is a significant discrepancy! Today I bought a kitchen scale - and I'm going to be very precise with my measurements to see if something has gone awry there. But I don't think I've miscalculated by that degree!

I have been seeing a disordered eating specialist for several years to work on the psychological aspects of eating. Some extreme responses to my earlier weight gain left me bingeing. That seems to have settled.

My doctor is not terribly pleased with my weight loss. But, I just was not terribly happy carrying around the extra 85 pounds that piled on very quickly after I quit smoking. I'm feeling a bit more like myself now, and am ready to experiment/relax a bit and learn how I can maintain a healthy feeling weight as a non-smoker.

I am very aware that I am treading a fine line.

I truly appreciate all of your support!

I'm also trying to figure out the best way to communicate/respond here. I'll get there soon!

• _inHisGrace
    cremorna1 wrote: »
    Hi! I'm back. I just wanted to say I caught up with reading everything here that I missed and I am very happy that everyone is doing well and had a very successful Thanksgiving eating-wise! I hope it was also a nice family celebration despite the way this year is going.

I joined this group in spring, but didn't post much. Then in summer a lot of sad family stuff happened and I didn't even log in to MFP. I started logging in again in fall. At this point, I would like to be more active in this group, as I think it's a really nice group of people helping each other out. Also, I need the support too :)

Weight-wise, it took me from March to November to get from 230ish to 198 lbs and it was fairly "easy": Not that weightloss comes naturally to me, but I did not suffer a lot losing these 30ish pounds. Now, I have about 45 lbs more to lose to get to a healthy BMI and this is proving to be a challenge. It looks like I need to tighten up my logging and organize my eating better. But that's fine. I'll do just that. My goal is worth it.

I wanted to say HI to everyone and cheer you on in the journey!
    Hi!! Glad you’re here!
  • jeeves19831
    jeeves19831 Posts: 15 Member
    Hi Everyone

I was recommended this group from another so thought i would dive in and join. I am a 37 yo bloke measuring 6ft1in and 300+lb. I have an amazing wife, and between our previous marriages there are 5 children, even though there are now only 2 left at home. I need to shift this weight as i have worries that i wont be around if Grandchildren ever arrive.

My relationship with food is not the best. I do eat healthy meals, but i think i do eat far too much of said healthy meal which then, in turn, makes it unhealthy.

I also have issues with the little voice in my head which seems to have departed some years ago. I can travel home, fill up the car with petrol, and at the same time, pick up a pastie. At no point does the voice of reason in my head intervene and say "No!! You shouldn't eat that!!" Its almost as if i have zero willpower at all.

If i can conquer these issues i think i could do it. I mean i managed to quite smoking a few years ago, but the food seems to be a harder prospect. I have done CC before and it always worked better than any other method but for some reason, its never worked out over the long term :(

Anyway, thanks for having me.

• _inHisGrace
    Hi Everyone

I was recommended this group from another so thought i would dive in and join. I am a 37 yo bloke measuring 6ft1in and 300+lb. I have an amazing wife, and between our previous marriages there are 5 children, even though there are now only 2 left at home. I need to shift this weight as i have worries that i wont be around if Grandchildren ever arrive.

My relationship with food is not the best. I do eat healthy meals, but i think i do eat far too much of said healthy meal which then, in turn, makes it unhealthy.

I also have issues with the little voice in my head which seems to have departed some years ago. I can travel home, fill up the car with petrol, and at the same time, pick up a pastie. At no point does the voice of reason in my head intervene and say "No!! You shouldn't eat that!!" Its almost as if i have zero willpower at all.

If i can conquer these issues i think i could do it. I mean i managed to quite smoking a few years ago, but the food seems to be a harder prospect. I have done CC before and it always worked better than any other method but for some reason, its never worked out over the long term :(

Hi!! Welcome
  • lauriekallis
    Hi Everyone

Welcome! I'm a relative newcomer to this group - and it has brought such a solid grounding to my personal weight loss adventure - just when I needed it.

There is much to read! And so much to learn in all these posts.

See you around!
  • These are amazing people here. I'm not quite halfway on my weight loss journey, and the support I've gotten here has really helped.
  • NovusDies
    Hi Everyone

Hi @jeeves1983,

Welcome to LL.

My internal voice works better if instead of saying "No, you shouldn't eat that" it says "Don't forget you will have to see that in your log." Having the treat is not good or bad by itself. It is how it fits in my calorie day/week and how it fits the types of choices I wish to make. I do not have a problem, for instance, with processed foods. As a matter of choice though I would rather not have a large amount of them in a day or week when I can avoid it. My goal is not to restrict or prevent. It is to eat responsibly. I can have treats but the responsible thing is to eat a moderate amount.

It is not that you lack willpower. When you create and reinforce a habit of eating when you do a particular activity you can begin doing it on autopilot. It is the same thing with many of your daily activities. You probably do not normally put much thought in your daily hygiene rituals, how you dress yourself after you have picked out your clothes, or even how you get to a familiar driving location. Your brain is wired to free up thought when a task is repetitive. If you have ever needed to go to a new location but travelled a very familiar path and take a wrong turn because your autopilot took over believing you were headed to the normal destination you know what I mean.

You have to know that you are fighting your autopilot and start establishing new habits. More importantly you have to want to do it, and no matter how much we tell ourselves we want it, there is a part of us that wants to eat the pastie. You can beat it most of the time by simply interrupting the habit. Make getting the pastie harder than it usually is. If nothing else, stop being the one that buys the petrol.

Willpower is a limited resource. You need a smart plan that avoids the use of willpower so that you have it when you need it. Most of my plans in the past relied on willpower more because I had unnecessary restrictions and I was being harsh. It never worked out because I always eventually ran out of willpower and when I broke, I ate everything in sight.

Eating too much "healthy" food is highly unhealthy. It is also not a situation that offsets itself in any way. Your body can only use a certain number of nutrients in a day. Most of the rest just leave in your urine. If you eat too much of any food item you are in a surplus and your body converts the surplus to stored energy aka fat.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Welcome to the group!....we are a friendly and supportive group....join in any where and comment!....hope to get to know you better and best of luck....you CAN do this!
  • _inHisGrace
    mariwrh wrote: »
    Hello there!
    I am 20 years old and I have been overweight pretty much my whole life.
    I have tried to lose weight in the past and even lost a considerable amount once(around 40 lbs) but I gained it all back, mostly from emotional eating and mental issues that didn't allow me to concentrate on my diet a lot.
    2020 was an all time low for my mental health, and an all time high for my weight.
    My self confidence was deteriorating, just got out of a tiring, toxic relationship and was generally at a loss.
    The idea of 2020 ending inspired me so much that I decided to do something for my confidence and my health.
    I've been on a weight loss journey for about 2 weeks now and it's going well!
    I've got many lbs to go(around 100),so I'd love to meet all of you lovely people and build a support system for each other.

See you around, Maria.

Glad you’re here! Welcome